Diablo® III

The LOH Build Discussion

I just noticed in the discussion of crafted chests that you ding them for needing to have extra dex to overcome the loss of the inna set bonus, but you get the dex bonus for inna with 2 items, so if you have inna helm and pants then the 3rd bonus for the chest is much less interesting - .33 spirit per second.

So, if you have inna helm and pants, then a crafted chest is a much more viable option. I'm not even really interested in the .33/sec spirit given the natural spirit regen of the high aps LoH build.
Edited by flarbear#1608 on 10/28/2013 5:12 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Your setup looks interesting flarbear, find me in game some time and we'll tear up sanctuary.
Reply Quote
I redid the fight, have it recorded at half-size. Same deal, but got the EP work on SB, SB had less than 25% HP left. Can upload. Let me know if you want it.

MP10, no follow, I think I only used 1 potion too. I'll remove potions from my inventory. I did change the rune on Serenity to Peaceful Repose for extra healing.
Reply Quote
View profile
I'll take any video right now also amended the crafted chest in gearing section. I still recommend against it because if your using a crafted chest with inna hat that's two ias slots gone but it is still viable for getting the two piece bonus. Keep the great info coming from all LOH monks I appreciate it.

Also added in your uber video sRank
Edited by BladeMaster#1559 on 10/28/2013 8:45 PM PDT
Reply Quote
10/28/2013 06:01 PMPosted by sRank
Your setup looks interesting flarbear, find me in game some time and we'll tear up sanctuary.

Thanks sRank! I guess I should mention that my build may be a bit non-standard, but not for any intriguing reasons...

TLDR:

First, I'm a relative newbie at this.

Second, I only ran across this thread because I wanted some ideas for building sustain/leech, not for the explicit purpose of preparing for the expected rule changes.

And, third, my skill choices are affected primarily by how well trained my fingers are rather than any analysis of how effective things can be.

/TLDR

The reason I'm a relative newbie is that I was spending the last year or so having lots of fun getting all 5 classes through Inferno entirely character-self-found. After they all achieved that goal I spent a couple of months playing with HC, but came back to SC for a couple of reasons - first I wanted to check out the AH before it goes away, having ignored it for 18 months - and second because I built a new machine and didn't want to get it stable by losing a bunch of HC chars. I'm still at the point where I'm trying to figure out how to search the AH for good gear and which stats are important on which pieces of gear. As a result, I have sort of a FrankenMonk that is loosely aimed towards a bit of LoH, but not really committed.

Originally I started end game hunting with my Wizard and then found d3up and diabro3 and found that my monk was actually my sturdiest character. I then wasted a couple of weeks bargain hunting on the wrong gear to get myself to about 100K health, 1.5M EHP, and only about 45K DPS. I managed to get some advice from a friend in one of my first coop games that I was way over spec on health and needed some LoH (many thanks to ChronoTriggr). That's when I found this thread and have been using it as a basic reference for finding good leech gear. I have a bit of LS in my build right now based on hearing that LS is good in some circumstances compared to LoH so I thought I'd base my Shenlong FoL on a small bit of LS. I'm at 1900LoH and 3LS right now (and back up to 1M EHP, but with 100K DPS now), but as I accumulate knowledge and gear I may soon be ready to ditch my LS FoL and go for some more APS and LoH.

My skills eschew some of the bread and butter cooldown Monk skills like Serenity mostly because I'm not good at tracking cooldowns and prefer spammable/mashable skills. My only cooldown skill is BoH and only because I use it for the %dmg and its cooldown doesn't interfere because the duration is longer than the cooldown (I hit it periodically to keep the damage boost up and could care less for the tiny heal). I use Quickening instead of TC because it helps me spam skills more and I use Exalted Soul because I don't do a great job of making sure I'm at full spirit at the end of a mob. With this skill set I can run around and jump on a mob mashing 123 to pull up my 2 dmg buffs and my cyclones and be up to full cyclone strength in a couple of seconds. I then spam Overawe and Blazing Wrath with an occasional touch of EP until nothing is moving, rinse, repeat. For escaping I use DS instead of Serenity because I don't have to worry about cooldown and my first hit of DS usually misses free space. :(

I hope that explains better where I'm coming from. If you still want to help me run some MP5 ubers, then that would be fun, but don't expect any enlightenment from watching my play style other than "that's cute what these new kids are doing"... ;)
Reply Quote
View profile
Looks like your making good progress. If you do swap to a LOH build only you will definitely need more attack speed but it's looking good.
Reply Quote
I'm currently shopping for socketed Shens and they can be expensive (and I'm limited in the gems I can make at my current budget). I did a search for FoL with ias and found some nice items that actually give me a dps boost for only a small fortune. Any thoughts on stacking ias on the FoL OH?

(Obviously with a bigger budget High natural DPS+big gem would win, but at my budget I can get some of the DPS advantage with ias on the FoL and make up for not having ias on some of my other items...)
Edited by flarbear#1608 on 10/30/2013 9:11 PM PDT
Reply Quote
View profile
It will make a difference in how fast you attack so that will help the LOH gains but it is better to get ias on gears
Reply Quote
10/30/2013 09:42 PMPosted by BladeMaster
It will make a difference in how fast you attack so that will help the LOH gains but it is better to get ias on gears

fast attack = more sustainable especially on LOH gear build!
Edited by ManUnited#3106 on 10/30/2013 9:57 PM PDT
Reply Quote
ya, each hit is sustainability, so have to make each hit counts. but normally, you won't be hitting nothing, otherwise, you're not killing..
Reply Quote
Ok am back. Farmed my keys (Zzz), did my 3 runs and uploaded the video.

http://youtu.be/oCgK6Kv3g3I

Picked this build to record:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#UeXSgk!VUX!bYYYYa

No life steal. No mystic ally. No follower. Same build same run for 3 ubers no deaths.

Reason I picked this build to record is that it is less common compared to standard cookie and cookie bells. Plus the specs required is much lower than the other 2. I actually done this some time ago with much lower specs than i have now. http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/9679038724?page=2#23

Estimated numbers for this build i reckon would be:
1200+ loh, 620k ehp, 600+res. 200k+ dps (DPS numbers is optional. Just go with a number that you can do mp10 without falling asleep should be fine.)

Some pts to note:

- can go with a SOJ with WOL crits for a faster clear. You just need to be "tankyier". Can be done.

- When using bells, try to position yourself to maximize its aoe dmg for a faster clear. I didn't really do that for this video. Too lazy to move around coz i know my toon can't really die in this build even if they enrage.

- I actually don't like this build. WOHF animation is too slow. It irritates me after awhile. Prefer cookie bell (empowered wave). Cookie bell also does more dmg but requires high specs. Estimated numbers for cookie bell i reckon would be: 1200+ loh, 660k ehp, 650+res. 200k+ dps

- Many tweaks can be done to this build to suit your needs. OWE-free monks can use the likes of Exalted Soul, Chant of Resonance, Combination Strike or Resolve.

- Seriously, Earth Ally builds are still the easiest (in terms of specs requirement) and bring your follower along with extra dps and crowd control. You will find that mp10 uber aren't really that difficult for monks with both an ally + a follower.

Thats it. Now for other monks to pick other builds and upload their videos. OP shouldn't you be doing one too? Think everyone are too lazy to farm for keys. lol
Edited by BungeeGum#6742 on 10/30/2013 10:30 PM PDT
Reply Quote
View profile
I would do a video but I have no video recording software and like zero playtime. When I do get playtime I just want to do some grinding and fun runs. I am just trying to spread knowledge via this guide and monks that wish to share video like your self are more than welcome to. I will add your submission to the op. Thanks for the video.
Reply Quote
10/28/2013 08:24 PMPosted by BladeMaster
crafted chest in gearing section. I still recommend against it because if your using a crafted chest with inna hat that's two ias slots gone but it is still viable for getting the two piece bonus.

I think the problem is my budget again, combined with my dumb luck. I managed to craft armor with 300 dex, 152 vit, poison res (which I'm stacking) 3 sockets and lots of armor. It's hard to get anywhere near that with any of the chests that I find on the AH. But, again, maybe I'm letting the stars in my crafted eyes blind me to the alternate viability of stacking ias instead... going shopping again...

Also, I tried my "budget" socketed shen's. The damage is nice (up about 15% overall from my non-socketed items), but I definitely felt the loss of sustain with my non-LS FoL. I died 3 times and couldn't beat my way out of it. Part of this may be my lack of mouse skills - I have a hard time keeping the hits up while avoiding picking up trash. Most of the time I can click and hold and it keeps beating on a monster and switches to the next when that one dies. Due to the auto-targeting that mode keeps me from picking up as much trash, but I can definitely see more consistent hits and sustain if I click wildly and there are times when I notice that I'm in a dense mob, but I'm not attacking any more even though the mouse button is still down. I can move the mouse and it will pick up an item, but I have to lift and click again to start attacking. It's like the targeting engine decided I was now a pacifist. Really irritating. Note that if I hold the "stand and attack" key down then my character attacks non-stop with no breaks in the action so this isn't an issue of my mouse flaking out. The problem with the "stand and deliver" technique is that once the monsters get just a little out of arms reach I'm no longer really hitting them so much as sending Shenlong blobs at them and the occasional 3rd hit from FoT has a longer reach and still manages to strike them. So, I'm left without a really reliable way to keep the hits up without interrupting for trash or ending up out of reach. Am I misunderstanding some aspect of the targeting mechanics here?
Reply Quote
View profile
Try putting fot on right click instead of left makes a difference in the trash pick up issue your having. You can reclick the right mouse button and reengage the enemies without picking up anything
Reply Quote
Thinking about trying this out. I have 200 mill. What's should I spend it on? already have BT pants on my wiz that I can use. Thanks
Reply Quote
View profile
@krull
The most important parts are good LOH weapons and an ammy with a LOH roll. As well as some ias gear you already have tals chest but you will need lacunni bracers. The faster streak is needed for LOH survival. The mempo from your demon hunter should come in handy as well.
Edited by BladeMaster#1559 on 10/31/2013 4:23 PM PDT
Reply Quote
You're forgetting BungeeGum, you have your Fist of Legend and Inna's Radiance giving you a solid 120+ LpSS; using the Nirvana Build, your bell spam heals you for nearly 10k HP per bell. It's a huge heal spike. You're healing more from that than LoH.
Reply Quote
10/31/2013 05:24 PMPosted by sRank
You're forgetting BungeeGum, you have your Fist of Legend and Inna's Radiance giving you a solid 120+ LpSS; using the Nirvana Build, your bell spam heals you for nearly 10k HP per bell. It's a huge heal spike. You're healing more from that than LoH.

lol. I wouldn't say forgetting, it is just not mandatory. I also have 700++ life regen, high dodge chance from dex, migration, reduce elite dmg etc etc. You can tweak the build to your gear or your gear for the build. Example dual shenlong users if you prefer "spikey heals" can replace owe with Transcendence if you want. But the real basis of that build is no LS + making use of very high aps and thus can semi-permanent stun with bells for crowd control. Decent mempo actually should have faster aps than using Inna Radiance and thus high chance of a continual stun and return from loh.

Happy Halloween everyone!!
Edited by BungeeGum#6742 on 10/31/2013 5:57 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Oh and if anyone wants to use Nirvana Build, (Which uses Wall of Light or maybe Empowered Wave) with no LS, you have to be ALOT ALOT "tankier". Nirvana build doesn't really work as well without LS.
Reply Quote
One thing to mention in the guide is the relationship between health/dmg reduction and LoH/heal. For a tanky build it doesn't matter if you get your EHP from vit or resists/armor, but for a LoH build you want to choose resists/armor in lieue of vit - all other things and resulting EHP being equal. The reason is that equivalent EHP from higher damage reduction and lower health makes your LoH more effective since each LoH influx is a greater percentage of your health pool. In essence, resistances and armor magnify your LoH identically to how they minify the incoming damage. You do need to watch your EHP using a good calculator like d3up to get this right, but if you are evaluating between 2 pieces of gear and both give similar EHP, but one does it with vit and the other does it with armor and AR, then choose the latter...
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]