Diablo® III

I suck as a WD

I have gear borrowed from our resident troll KJ, and I even got some tutelage from good ol' scrapz on how to play this blasted character. Whether I'm playing MP5 or MP7, it doesn't matter. I die, and I die often. I know I don't have enough EHP -- but somehow, I don't think that's the issue if my deaths are not as a result of ground effects, elites, or charging bulls. No, it's when I'm surrounded by whites or something.

I don't have SW to keep my health near max, don't have that 30% damage mitigation bonus, and certainly don't have much of an oh sh!t key (like serenity or DS). Nor do I have bells to get my health back.

It's like I'm having an out-of-body experience - the heart and soul of a monk trying to play WD. I suck.
Reply Quote
View profile
I also had a go at a doc and I was able to farm mp8 with a cob build. But it felt like I was cheating on my monk. It's a fun class to play but it just wasn't suiting with how I liked playing. So I sold all the gears and now my doc sits naked.
Reply Quote
View profile
with the gear I gave you?

I was doing mp10...hmmmm

it did take me a bit get used to the squishiness

What we can do is give it back...I'll stream some game play so you can get an idea, then give it back?

plus, I told you to copy my build ;)

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/KamelJabber-1103/hero/34933720
Reply Quote
@ Nameless

that is what you get for betraying Ytar for that quack! j/k good luck with the change of pace.

I was wondering if you could do a post like you 202K DPS / 645K EHP: The Balanced Budget Way but with a DW setup. Yes I know it would be a lot more expensive but I can't seem to go over the 150k mark with my monk and don't want to spend the little gold I got 200m on stuff that doesn't synergize well. Pretty please?

P.S. what level are you in candy crush? I'm up to 217!
Reply Quote
@nameless. It's probably just a playstyle issue. Hit me up in game and I'll help you out. I helped out Silverfire, who was like 10 minutes away from scrapping his whole WD!

Your HP looks a little low now that I look at it. So that could be a contributing factor.

@wulfgar, I made a guide about 200k dps and 500k ehp, check it out! http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/9882549581
Edited by Amiar#1992 on 10/23/2013 8:49 AM PDT
Reply Quote
dont use mass confusion imo, it stops the monsters from converging on you (i use Hex). But yeh other than that, EHP. :)
Edited by seansky#1859 on 10/23/2013 8:48 AM PDT
Reply Quote
View profile
10/23/2013 08:46 AMPosted by seansky
dont use mass confusion imo, it stops the monsters from converging on you (i use Hex). But yeh other than that, EHP. :)

I said I would post less, but I just have to say, I'm pretty sure MrMojoRisin was looking for you!

I use mass confusion when they are surrounding me and within cob range.
The confusion helps me with survivability also when i'm in a pickle.
Other than that, you are correct sir!
Reply Quote
View profile
You can borrow my gear instead Nameless. You won't die :)
Reply Quote
Definitely takes a while to get used to WDs, mostly as your HP drops so quickly when you're not channeling COB (or don't have locusts jumping on half of FoM). Pretty fun class to run though.

but somehow, I don't think that's the issue if my deaths are not as a result of ground effects, elites, or charging bulls. No, it's when I'm surrounded by whites or something.

My guess is you're dying in that first second when you're being mobbed by a huge group you've just pulled? CoB does take half a second or so to start healing you, particularly as you're running skorn with no other IAS slots. What you need to do is pull mobs, and instead of just stopping and channeling, hit spirit walk, run a couple of steps back into the mobs and start your COB casting, so when your walk ends you're already in swing and healing.

10/23/2013 07:38 AMPosted by Nameless
don't have much of an oh sh!t key (like serenity or DS)

Spirit walk. Or horrify with the armor rune.

Buildwise I'm not experienced enough to teach you the pros and cons, but KJ's build's probably the one you're going to want to run for FoM / general farming. Switching confusion for hex is good for elites that run from you, and big bad voodoo's good as well. WD's don't REALLY need a mana generator, especially once you get the hang of play.
Reply Quote
@amiar thanks, will camp out AH to try to gear and check on d3up before I buy
Reply Quote
Nameless, your skill set is wrong.

Try this.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#hcUdQj!TYe!acZcbY
Reply Quote
And do this. LOL

http://youtu.be/11C5llzJEf4

WD is like the easiest class to play. You will get it down soon.

EDIT: Try adding in one more slot with pick up radius. It's vital for WDs. Some of the gears are easily upgradeable. WDs are cheap as hell to gear up too.
Edited by KimSulki84#1308 on 10/23/2013 9:19 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I said I would post less, but I just have to say, I'm pretty sure MrMojoRisin was looking for you!

I use mass confusion when they are surrounding me and within cob range.
The confusion helps me with survivability also when i'm in a pickle.
Other than that, you are correct sir!

Curse you!

Yeh i used to do the same with mass confusion. I just didnt like the champs wonder off to hit some white dudes and make me chase after them. Hex is particularly good for ranged monsters and keywarden. Either one works for me, but since he mention survival with a LS skorn, im tend to think the mass confusion was pulling away his source of life steal than helping him atm. :)

And yes spirit walk is an oh shyt button. Hit it when the bull prepares to charge. Hit it to counter jailer etc. IT refreshes quickly when you attract a whole bunch of white trash before you engage them. Soul harvest actually does a small interupt as well, when i use it with the dmg rune. Helps dealing with grosteques to some degree.

I also think your all res is a bit low nameless..... might be wrong.
Edited by seansky#1859 on 10/23/2013 9:23 AM PDT
Reply Quote
10/23/2013 09:22 AMPosted by seansky
I also think your all res is a bit low nameless..... might be wrong.

Comparing to my WD i think resists are fine, it's HP i think that's a little on the low side. A lot on the low side.
Reply Quote
That's pretty much word-for-word how I'm feeling about playing the WD. Love the concept, but suck at execution. I guess I just have a hard time wrapping my mind over how easily they die, even at the slightest mistake - that's what happens when you build up a mind-frame centered around the Monk.

We should probably listen to Kim and try doing it his way. As others have suggested, the core issue is in the play style, not the gear.

On that note - I linked you few items the other day that may (or may not) come as an upgrade for your WD. Did you have a chance to check them out?
Reply Quote
@laurel or anyone else. If you want some help with the WD play style, spec or gear just add me in game. I like helping new WDs :)
Reply Quote
WD is fun to play for like couple weeks. Then it gets super boring.

If built and played properly, it's hard to die as a WD.
Reply Quote
Nameless, your skill set is wrong.

Try this.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#hcUdQj!TYe!acZcbY

Thanks! That's the exact build that Scrapz was getting me to use - I switched it last night, but my profile never updated (since I haven't logged off since). I will check out that video too... I'm still trying to figure things out.

My guess is you're dying in that first second when you're being mobbed by a huge group you've just pulled? CoB does take half a second or so to start healing you, particularly as you're running skorn with no other IAS slots. What you need to do is pull mobs, and instead of just stopping and channeling, hit spirit walk, run a couple of steps back into the mobs and start your COB casting, so when your walk ends you're already in swing and healing.

Ding ding ding! That's exactly what happens. Once I have CoB up, I'm fine. It's usually in the first 1-2 seconds (during the ramp up) that get to me. So it's the strategic use of spirit walk, huh? I like that. I have to get used to the idea that my cooldowns will get reduced the more I kill.

To all others that have responded. Thanks! I'll post more later, but I'm about to get my work day started. You guys are awesome!
Reply Quote
10/23/2013 08:44 AMPosted by Amiar
@nameless. It's probably just a playstyle issue. Hit me up in game and I'll help you out. I helped out Silverfire, who was like 10 minutes away from scrapping his whole WD!

I wasn't really going to, I just get that way when I'm grumpy, but I knew I was going to stick with it because as I've said before, that's the way every major build/class transition has been for me.

I always cuss out my friends for days saying I can't take it anymore, then I rage for a couple weeks more, and then bliss. You were certainly a tremendous help though, without you I'd probably still be raging.

Except monk incidentally...I think it's been the smoothest to get into. Even with self-found borderline vendor trash, it's felt smooth as glass both with Skorn and DW.

I really encourage everyone to break out of their comfort zones and play as many classes as possible, even though it's always hard to make that first step.

I think a big part of why switching from barb to monk is easy but switching from either of the two to WD is challenging is because of the lack of innate damage reduction. Monks and barbs have this really tough feel to them that the "ranged" classes don't, even if the gear is mediocre.

Like you Nameless, one big difference I feel between monk/barb and the others is that I can walk through trash without attacking without giving a second thought to it. With WD, if I disregard a pack of icy quillbacks in the same way, I'll come close to dying or even die altogether. I use spirit vessel (WD's version of NDE), so I have it proc embarrassingly often in this type of situation. I've grown so used to ignoring trash completely that it can be annoying to have to pay attention to it in any way, especially as a real death threat. You either have to stop and cob them, or hit them with pestilence, or spirit walk through them, or some combination of all 3.

What the "easiest to play" is is completely subjective, but IMHO, there are a lot more things you need to be thinking about while playing a WD than pretty much all of the other classes. There wasn't exactly one thing that made it click for me. It took a couple of weeks of dying to practically everything possible and learning how to deal with it, and I'm still far from perfect, even though my gear is pretty high-end. I feel like I always have to have some sort of a plan before engaging anything, especially an elite with nasty affixes. One thing that would always get me was spamming spirit walk the way I do sprint on a barb, and then never having it available when I needed it. And just generally spamming everything without thinking. You don't get to do that as a WD, everything needs to be cast for a purpose.

I agree that your HP is low, especially for a beginner. Resists are fine considering you're using JF. As Amiar can attest to, I started out by going nuts with purple gems. I literally filled every slot with them and bumped myself past 80k hp. I dropped them when I got comfortable, but having an absurd health pool did help the learning process, so it's something you might want to try. I'm also going to say you should put spirit vessel in instead of gruesome feast at first. This is not a good idea for an end game build but it'll save you a lot of frustration while learning the ropes.

Don't do what I did by making A2 VotA and A3 KD3 your training grounds. Just go to weeping hollow in A1, doesn't have to be MP10, get comfy with applying pestilence and managing your cooldowns amongst huge clumps of trash where its easy, then try the harder stuff afterwards.
Reply Quote
While I'm sure there is a big L2P issue that will disappear with time, your ehp is ultra low and you will get 1shot alot in MP6+. Remember that you're missing the 30% DR that monks/barbs enjoy.

Also, while you should never look a gift horse in the mouth, the set you're using is very old school. With an LS Skorn, you really don't need the LoH from BT pants and Unity. If you have some spare cash (or can borrow some more stuff from people..you leech you :)), replace pants with either a decent set of rare pants or DD; and replace Unity. Avg dmg doesn't make a big difference for 2H users, so you can easily replace that with an Int/Vit litany which shouldn't be too expensive.

WD is fun to play for like couple weeks. Then it gets super boring.

If built and played properly, it's hard to die as a WD.
Yeah, CoB gets boring as hell after a week or so. Speed doc runs were wayy more enjoyable back in the day.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]