Diablo® III

I suck as a WD

Just stack life and stay behind. Look busy but keep your distance. Leech as much as possible before the boot.

On a serious note, I usually go to the class forums and ask. Since it's usually skill related not gear, for experience players.
Reply Quote
On a serious note, I usually go to the class forums and ask. Since it's usually skill related not gear, for experience players.

I know. When I made the OP, I was just ranting about how badly I sucked (and really, poking fun at myself at how n00b I am) and wasn't expecting as much help as I received, and certainly didn't expect it to go to one of the day's mosts popular topics in d3 forumland. I posted in monk forums mostly because I'm more of a known entity in the monk forums than I would be over in WDs (or maybe I'm giving myself too much credit... lol).

Honestly though, I think the monk community simply rocks and I am so thankful that people have volunteered to help me out. I think things are looking up for me though. I'm still trying to upgrade my EHP just a bit more, and I really need to figure out ways to stack more life. For now though, I've made some decent improvements - more mitigation, more HP, more DPS, and more LS than when I made my original post. I'm waiting for a bid on a litany ring, and so I hope that helps me a bit too. After that, I think I'll be in a better spot and won't feel as glassy and it'll be more about skill than gear. Not that the gear that KJ gave me is bad, I just needed to feel less glassy to learn the class. :)

One change to the build I made at the suggestion of seansky is to take out mass confusion for hex/jinx. That seems to make a sizeable difference when it comes to battling elites and ranged enemies - it's nice to see 'em turn into chickens during the fight and then still be able to slaughter them with my CoB.

oh, and @jco310 - I do have a HCSF WD that I'm leveling up. Scared to do much with him until I figure things out over here. Thanks for the offer though... I'm slowly getting there, I think. :P
Edited by Nameless#1537 on 10/24/2013 10:07 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Hmm didn’t read through everything so probably someone has mentioned it already but here I go:

Gear wise you are very solid, try to boost HP close to 60K and armor close to 4K by plvl for now
Very good build wise as well but if you want, you can change grave injustice to spirit vessel for now to learn as it’ll give you a second chance

Spirit walk is very good and can be use defensively or offensively like our serenity
For the 3 sec I’ll just CoB away and tank explosion etc

For solo try out horrify-frightening aspect to tank or to heard elite into a corner/wall
Don’t fear the fear, use it ;)

With gruesome feast I’ll advise you to play with baggin’s 0dog, it’ll synergies very well as you’ll be constantly healed/buffed both in AR and dps

For 2H skorn try to aim for 1.16 APS breakpoint first

Seek out PaulNG for help if you want http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/9377379828?page=1
Reply Quote
10/24/2013 10:07 AMPosted by QHTran
For 2H skorn try to aim for 1.16 APS breakpoint first

I'm not familiar with the concept of breakpoints in D3, since there really isn't one discussed for monks AFAIK. Is that breakpoint one where spirit consumed on CoB = spirit gained from regen, so keep it free? Or is it for another purpose? Just curious. At this point, I'm glad to say that I seem to gain spirit as CoB continues (and it's probably because I only have 1 IAS item on my WD in my WH belt).

I might pick up a new WH belt at some point since I might also be overloaded on AR anyway. Might as well go for more HP and pickup radius there too. Would something like that cost a lot in AH these days? *shrug*
Edited by Nameless#1537 on 10/24/2013 10:16 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Higher APS = faster tick on CoB = more mana used per second. This changes up the skill spec a little bit. But for your gear level, don't worry too much about aps for now. It gets a little bit complicated in terms of balancing out the aps/mana with rare+mojo set up.

WH is always cheap to get if you sit on AH for a little. Good luck Nameless.
Reply Quote
So from what I read from the guides and understand so far:

APS break point for WD and for other class like 2.50 for pure WW barbs or 1.67, 1.82, 2.01 for RF bomb DH or #### for freeze wiz are all for resource management vs paper dps vs actual dps

Like for RF DH and CoB WD you want to stay at the BP or a tiny bit higher but never anywhere in between the BP since it’s wasted resource (hatred/mana) and you don’t actually deal more real damage

for WD like ours where there's no generator, if we run out of mana = 0 dmg = 0 LS = pretty much dead

have fun nameless =)
Reply Quote
Look at my gear I easily run on mp10.....
Reply Quote
If you have about 800-900 AR, it's *possible* to run with about 38-40K HP. I ran with that amount all the way to P100. You gotta pay attention though. I can only go into auto mode with about 46K HP. But I'll admit that my set up isn't ideal; I'd love to get 50K HP but it's so expensive. I run MP10 too, btw.
Edited by Xenophon#1601 on 10/24/2013 11:51 AM PDT
Reply Quote
A word of thanks to all of those folks who have contributed to this thread. When I first made the post, it was mostly poking fun at myself and I did not expect all of the help that I got. I'd also like to think that my post is kind of what set off Amiar in his creation of those awesome D3 videos.

So I've been fiddling around with my spec a little bit, trying on some different skills, tried solo runs in MP7 and I'm definitely dying a lot less. I'm gonna be trying to solo my way through the acts in MP7 and see if I can get better at situational awareness and knowing what skills to use at different times.

I also did a bunch of crypt runs (which work well for me, as helped me gain some quick XP) and managed to get my WD up to paragon 25. I initially died a whole bunch in some of those runs, but I think I'm definitely getting better and I think I ended up dying a handful of times (4-5 times) during the run (and the ensuing FoM clear shortly thereafter).

So yeah... I still stuck as a WD, but not nearly as badly as when I first wrote the OP.
Edited by Nameless#1537 on 10/28/2013 7:13 AM PDT
Reply Quote
it's my turn now lol, my WD has 53k hp/4k armor / 745 AR .. and still get one shot by the beasts in FoM on mp10. Not sure what to do now, higher LS skorn?
Reply Quote
10/28/2013 06:43 AMPosted by Nameless
A word of thanks to all of those folks who have contributed to this thread.

And a word of thanks to you, since by starting this thread you actually got me back into working on my WD.

With few swapped pieces and a little help from my friends (hello, baggins and Wannabee), I was finally able to make her MP 7 solo-worthy. I still die sometimes when not paying enough attention or run into a really sh!tty set of affixes, but I managed to clear the Hollows, the Woods and FoM with no deaths whatsoever last night, so it's definitely doable.

I haven't touched my Monk in two days, I can easily see her keeping me busy for a while.
Reply Quote
10/28/2013 07:52 AMPosted by Laurelynd
With few swapped pieces and a little help from my friends (hello, baggins and Wannabee)
TBH i didn't do anything if my gear was interchangeable with cob im sure I would've had pieces to loan/give you <sadface>
Reply Quote
10/28/2013 07:52 AMPosted by Laurelynd
I haven't touched my Monk in two days, I can easily see her keeping me busy for a while.

Yeah. I see myself going back and forth right now between the characters right now. With my WD, it's more about learning about how to use the different skills and trying to play better in groups. I'm planning to complete all of the quests through the different acts as a way of learning about my skills a bit more. And I'd probably use her in crypt runs when given the opportunity, just to give her some easy XP as well.

But I think that I'll have to run with my monk a good chunk of the time for bulk of my solo XP. DE, and achivement farming. It's almost getting to the point that I have to make some difficult decisions about what character to play on any given night. At least this keeps things interesting for me now.
Reply Quote
Glad to help boss (I really didn't do anything). :)
Reply Quote
10/28/2013 07:42 AMPosted by rezide
it's my turn now lol, my WD has 53k hp/4k armor / 745 AR .. and still get one shot by the beasts in FoM on mp10. Not sure what to do now, higher LS skorn?

I'm a noob too, and I found out the answer to this: cast Spirit Walk as they charge. This is where Spirit Vessel, together with Grave Injustice, works wonders in reducing the CD.

Another tip: go into mobs with SH/Vengeful Spirit available, cast it and starting channeling. This does 2 things: COB snapshots the buff and you heal (often to full) at a vulnerable early stage. Cast VS and SW as and when needed in the course of the fight.

Add: when you are knocked back or charged, don't try to move on low health, hit VS right away.
Edited by rahl#6100 on 10/28/2013 9:55 AM PDT
Reply Quote
TBH i didn't do anything if my gear was interchangeable with cob im sure I would've had pieces to loan/give you <sadface>

You helped with advice. (%

10/28/2013 09:05 AMPosted by Wannabee808
Glad to help boss (I really didn't do anything). :)

And you gave me that awesome rare ring, to replace the disgraceful Oculus I was formerly using in that slot. Now when I see a monster die, I know for fact that it has something to do with the damage I deal - before I was in doubt whether they demise of old age or busted pancreas, while laughing at my gear setup.

10/28/2013 09:01 AMPosted by Nameless
With my WD, it's more about learning about how to use the different skills and trying to play better in groups.

I think I'm going to save the remaining 9 PLs on my alt Monk for group plays. I don't want to take the WD out to parties just yet - on MP 10 runs she'll just alternate between deadweight (when alive) and roadkill (when not).
Reply Quote
You got redirected!
Reply Quote
10/29/2013 10:30 AMPosted by Piffle
You got redirected!

Indeed.

So Nameless, here's all the help you need with regards to WD CoB:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/9377379828
Reply Quote
I really enjoyed this thread as a fairly nooby WD too, good to see it redirected!
It inspired me to swap out my Oculus/Unity for a Litany instead (will be testing out the 30k EHP boost tonight + elite damage redux tonight).

Nameless - bug me any time as well. =)
Playing with both your various monk builds and WD was a lot of fun.

Lately, my only bull-deaths occur when 3-4 of them charge in with a pause between each. Really kills my mana trying to restart channeling and getting interrupted so many times. Not sure if I just need to pay more attention to the mob or work on my positioning. Spirit walk only really helps me out for the first 1-2 charges. =(
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]