What are the alignments of the classes?

My best guesses are as follows:
Monk: Lawful Good
Demon Hunter: Good
Wizard: Chaotic Good
Witch Doctor: Good
Barbarian: Neutral Good
Reply Quote
I'm surprised by how you decided the Wizard was the chaotic one.
The Witch doctor is literally raising the dead to fight Hell.
The demon hunter likes blasting them to smithereens with explosives, explosive bolas... Sentrys that shoot explosive rockets.

The witch Doctor and Demon hunter aren't evil. It's just a much darker version of a hero.
Reply Quote
Community Manager
I took a crack at this in another thread. Here's what I originally suggested (keeping note that this is a personal opinion):

Barbarian, Demon Hunter: Chaotic Neutral
Wizard, Witch Doctor: True Neutral
Crusader (for bonus points!): Neutral Good

Mind you, I think these choices might vary depending on the gender of each character you play. They all react a bit differently to certain conversations and events. For reference, my Nephalem are Female for the Monk, Demon Hunter, Witch Doctor, and Barbarian, and Male for the Wizard. In addition, remember that alignment is an extremely subjective mechanic, primarily because it can be interpreted very differently from person to person. Some consider it rules that you must absolutely adhere to, while others may see it more as a generalization.

It's a system that I don't think lends itself too well to the Diablo universe. I wouldn't say there's a one "true" answer to this question, but it's definitely interesting to hear others' thoughts on why they think a character adheres to a particular alignment. As an avid tabletop nerd, I'd love to hear your reasoning. =)
Reply Quote
I have no idea what chaotic good or neutral good is... Is it supposed to make sense?
Reply Quote
10/23/2013 06:51 PMPosted by bearr
I have no idea what chaotic good or neutral good is... Is it supposed to make sense?

If it comes in the color blue, no.
Reply Quote

Neutral Good would be someone who does what they feel is the smartest choice in the situation. They might call the town guards to handle it or might take justice into their own hands if they feel it will be handled better that way.

Chatoic good will almost always handle it their way and their way is rarely pleasant.
If there was a thieves den, a lawful good person might try to get it shut down through normal channels, a neutral good person might find a group of like minded individuals and take care of it quietly, and a chaotic good person will go Deadpool on it.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
My take on the alignments:

Lawful good: Crusader, Monk.

Lawful neutral: Wizard.

Chaotic good: Witch Doctor, Barbarian.

Chaotic neutral: Demon Hunter.
Reply Quote
10/23/2013 06:17 PMPosted by Nevalistis

That's very interesting, I would have imagined the Crusader to be Lawful Good like the Monk... why would you say you see the Crusader as neutral instead of lawful? Or is he more "lawful" only in a religious sense and not in a law-abiding "For the Queen!" sense?

This is how I see it:

Lawful good: Crusader, Monk.

True neutral: Witch-Doctor.

Chaotic good: Wizard

Chaotic neutral: Demon Hunter, Barbarian

but then again, I've never played a tabletop ever... I'm deprived, I know ;p
Edited by Godric#1954 on 10/23/2013 9:06 PM PDT
Reply Quote
My take:

Wizard: Chaotic good.
Demon hunter: Chaotic neutral.
Monk: Lawful good.
Barbarian: Chaotic neutral.
Witch doctor: True neutral.

It should be noted, though, that I haven't spent much time as a barb or WD, so I might be misreading them.

Very surprised anyone would pick neutral for the wizard. Everything I've seen of her, especially her short story on the website, paints her as a classic chaotic good. She has severe problems with authority and will always do things her own way, but her overriding goal is still to help others.

Neutral Good would be someone who does what they feel is the smartest choice in the situation. They might call the town guards to handle it or might take justice into their own hands if they feel it will be handled better that way.

Chatoic good will almost always handle it their way and their way is rarely pleasant.
If there was a thieves den, a lawful good person might try to get it shut down through normal channels, a neutral good person might find a group of like minded individuals and take care of it quietly, and a chaotic good person will go Deadpool on it.

I'd define it a little differently. I'd say chaotic good is simply someone who does what they believe is right, not what society tells them is right. Think Robin Hood. That could result in them "going Deadpool," but it's not necessarily the only way to go about it.
Reply Quote
MVP
10/23/2013 06:17 PMPosted by Nevalistis

Interesting.

Personally I would have guessed Chaotic Good for the Crusader as they are pretty zealous.

I just can't really imagine them as even being remotely law abiding in any form.
Reply Quote
My take:

Wizard: Chaotic good.
Demon hunter: Chaotic neutral.
Monk: Lawful good.
Barbarian: Chaotic neutral.
Witch doctor: True neutral.

It should be noted, though, that I haven't spent much time as a barb or WD, so I might be misreading them.

Very surprised anyone would pick neutral for the wizard. Everything I've seen of her, especially her short story on the website, paints her as a classic chaotic good. She has severe problems with authority and will always do things her own way, but her overriding goal is still to help others.

I'd define it a little differently. I'd say chaotic good is simply someone who does what they believe is right, not what society tells them is right. Think Robin Hood. That could result in them "going Deadpool," but it's not necessarily the only way to go about it.

I admit that "going Deadpool" is definitely the extreme end, but I thought the extreme was fitting for trying to explain the difference. Robing hood works too though.
Reply Quote
I never really played anything pen and paper but my understanding is that Alignment is not something you use to guide you characters actions, its something you choose to express how that character will most likely behave in the future....

I absolutely love the 3x3 sliding grid that covers such a wide range of personalities.....just awesome...

SO based on what Ive read in little pictogram and rule books....and of course my opinion...I would at first guess that:

ALL the characters are Lawful, because they favor nurturing and protecting civilization and social order and none of them are evil or neutral based on the care they provide for the individuals around them.

but that's based on the whole story arc. I'm imagining that these alignments were picked at the characters creation when BLIZZARD created the templates which we all adopt. This would also trump the typical role each caste might have in the lore of the diablo world. maybe the horadrim are known to look down upon royalty and dont care about law at all.....

maybe the barbarians are typically horrible and blood thirsty...

but thats not the way of the characters you play in the story.

So of course they will dip outside of the alignment from time to time when certain examples are scrutinized, even within the story at times... but they snap back to their base line way of being; protect the villages, don't steal or con or hurt, which to me is lawful/good

therefore I see lawful/good across the board ( except Crusader, whose involvement I don't know anything about....)
Reply Quote
If you listen to the Witch Doctor's dialogue I think it's pretty clear that he's either Neutral Good or even True Good

Historically, traditionally, I know it doesn't make sense, but also consider that Blizzard always tries to turn stereotypes on its head. For example, Night (dark) Elves are traditionally a dark, mal-intented race. In Warcraft lore however they typically fit in more with the peace-keeper and guardian aspect.
Reply Quote
assuming this is based on the AD&D character alignment definitions, here is my guess:

Barbarian: Chaotic Neutral
Demon Hunter: Chaotic Good
Wizard: Lawful Neutral
Witch Doctor: True Neutral

I base these on opening cinematics for each class and dialogue throughout the story.

Edit:

Crusader might be Neutral Good. We won't truly know the answer to this until the class has been fully explored.
Edited by MadMyke#1785 on 10/24/2013 5:51 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I thought it'd be really funny to take this a step further with the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) personality system, but after some research I decided that would just be way too freakin hard. It would totally vary between the males and females and we'd be here for days analyzing all the various quotes in the game. It's like...

E/I
The first continuum reflects what generically energizes a person. Extraverted types learn best by talking and interacting with others. By interacting with the physical world, extraverts can process and make sense of new information. Introverted types prefer quiet reflection and privacy. Information processing occurs for introverts as they explore ideas and concepts internally.

S/N
The second continuum reflects what a person focuses their attentions on. Sensing types enjoy a learning environment in which the material is presented in a detailed and sequential manner. Sensing types often attend to what is occurring in the present, and can move to the abstract after they have established a concrete experience. Intuitive types prefer a learning atmosphere in which an emphasis is placed on meaning and associations. Insight is valued higher than careful observation, and pattern recognition occurs naturally for Intuitive types.

T/F
The third continuum reflects the person’s decision preferences. Thinking types desire objective truth and logical principles and are natural at deductive reasoning. Feeling types place an emphasis on issues and causes that can be personalized while they consider other people's motives.

J/P
The fourth continuum reflects how the person regards complexity. Judging types will thrive when information is organized and structured, and they will be motivated to complete assignments to gain closure. Perceiving types will flourish in a flexible learning environment in which they are stimulated by new and exciting ideas.

damn son that's tough.

I'll give a crack at JUST ONE PERSON - the female wizard.

I'd say she's an ENFP... but that might just be because that's the exact same type as me lol. I bet if someone else did the female wizard they might see her as an ESTJ... because they're a mathkid and think that way and therefore experience the hero and her personality through that filter. Meh.

Psychology -_- Enough thinking for one day, let's kill demons!
Reply Quote
Well, in D&D lawful doesn't mean abiding by your local statutes. It means abiding by your own beliefs and those of your group/guild/cult/etc. It's more of a measure of how likely you are to deviate from the your belief system, whatever that may be. It certainly can mean abiding by locals laws and such. If you are playing as character who's a proud member of a good king's royal guard, your ethics come directly from the laws of the land and loyalty to the royalty. This isn't always the case obviously. For example, imagine a blackguard who worships a demonic deity. He's murdering innocent people left and right because his deity demands it. If he's following all the morals/rules/rituals of his deity and cult (or his own belief system if he's not a member of a cult), he's still lawful. Here's my take.

Wiz - Chaotic Good

She is good. She goes around helping people, risking her life for those in need. She doesn't care about her wizard sect, they rejected her because she is a loose cannon and a prodigy. She says "screw you guys." This total disregard for authority makes her chaotic.

WD - Lawful Neutral

She perceives everything through the lens of the spirits, their realm, and her attachment to said realm. She seek balance. Her worldview is completely based around the spirit realm and would never act as an antagonist to these spirits, this makes her lawful. Unlike the wizard, I couldn't imagine her taking sides in a war between two empires where one was more evil/oppressive than the other. She is, once again, bound by the will of the spirits and it's conceivable she would commit acts of evil if it was beneficial to the spirit realm. The spirits themselves seem primarily neutral, so she wouldn't really have to worry about committing such acts because she wouldn't be called upon to do so. In the event she was, however, she would oblige.

DH - True Neutral

It seems that the only thing that matters to her is the wholesale obliteration of every demon on the planet. She attempts to operate within a normal moral code concerning things other than demons. I can't see her kicking a lady into a mud puddle but I also can't see her going very far out of her way to help someone who has already been kicked into a puddle. Therefore she is neutral on the good/evil axis. Demon hunters do have organization, believe it or not. I think she views this as more of a means to make her more efficient at killing demons en masse. She would want the demon hunters to be successful and strong as a whole, so I don't see her as fully chaotic. I also don't think she is lawful because if the organization in any way got the in the of her demon massacres, then, well, the organization be damned.

Barb - Lawful Good

Yep. Lawful Good. The barbarian is known for rigorous, painful training. Loyalty to the barbarian tribe is extremely important. All of this is done in the name of defending the Worldstone on Mount Arreat. Baal may have destroyed the mountain and Tyreal the Worldstone but that just means the barb is searching for new meaning. If there's no Worldstone to defend, there is certainly a human race that she can protect. Barbs' purpose as a clan/class has always been preventing evil, chaos, and destruction and that hasn't changed.

Monk - Lawful Good

Harsh, regimenting training for both the spirit and body, kinda like the barb but probably intertwined even more closely to her organization's code. Bound to a monastery for the beginning of her life, law is supremely important. It's pretty clear that she, as a holy warrior, is pro-good and anti-evil.
Reply Quote
I think a good tell is their response to the Templar when he asks how criminals are treated where they come from.

Barbarian: There are none left to punish them. They live as nomadic individuals now, not belonging to any society. Their morals are nebulous mostly due to them holding in their feelings.
Chaotic Neutral.

Demon Hunter: They are given three days food and water and banished. This is spoken with cold indifference. Their homeland is not really much more than a training ground as the DH says to the enchantress at one point. Their society is as loose knit as a burlap sack but unlike the barbarian there is some structure to give a little nudge to their moral compass.
Chaotic Good

Witch Doctor: They are banished. As if to say "What else would anyone do?" The punishment is simple and perhaps the only one their society uses. The WD deals with powers that many might consider to be profane but they treat it with an "It is what it is" attitude.
True Neutral

Monk: I am sent to punish them. (paraphrased) The monk receives orders from a higher individual and carries them out to the best of their power feeling certain that they are doing the right thing. The ways of their society are revered amongst them thus they have a definite code of laws.
Lawful Good

Wizard: They appear before a magistrate and are thrown in prison. The tone this is spoken in, at least for the female wizard, sounds a lot like they are reciting it verbatim. This shows that although the wizard is neither as hide bound as the Horadrim nor as power mad a Kule they are accustomed to a very orderly and possibly bureaucratic society.
Lawful Neutral
Edited by Fogtreadder#1202 on 10/24/2013 12:46 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Community Manager

So, what I'm referring to is a two-axis alignment system, commonly found in table-top pen and paper RPGs (or their video game counterparts).

The first axis measures a character's capacity for Law or Chaos. The three denominations are Lawful, Neutral, or Chaotic. Lawful characters are generally predictable and adhere to a code of some kind, either literally (like a town's laws or a code of chivalry), or personally. Chaotic characters are generally unpredictable, and tend to take the path of least resistance for just about every situation.

The second axis measures a character's capacity for Good or Evil. That's pretty straightforward, but it also has three denominations: Good, Neutral, or Evil. So in all, there are nine alignments.

That's a very rudimentary explanation (there's certainly much more depth to be explored), but I hope it gets the basic point across. =)

10/23/2013 09:14 PMPosted by DrothVader
Personally I would have guessed Chaotic Good for the Crusader as they are pretty zealous.

Crusaders are extremely devoted to their cause, and their methods are occasionally a bit more unconventional than others. However, that isn't to say they are vehemently against what they are told to do - their entire quest occurred because they were issued an order, and they stick to that order no matter the cost. That's what leads me to believe they fall in between law and chaos, rather than one side of the spectrum.

Again, that's a personal interpretation. But that's the inherent nature of the alignment system, it's all a matter of interpretation, as the alignments are "guidelines" rather than rules to adhere to (kind of like the Pirate Code).

10/24/2013 07:38 AMPosted by Godric
I thought it'd be really funny to take this a step further with the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) personality system, but after some research I decided that would just be way too freakin hard.

It would be difficult, but definitely interesting! These kind of psychological studies have always been intriguing to me.
Reply Quote
I took a crack at this in another thread. Here's what I originally suggested (keeping note that this is a personal opinion):

Barbarian, Demon Hunter: Chaotic Neutral
Wizard, Witch Doctor: True Neutral

I disagree.

The Crusader should lawful good. If they follow an ethos/religion then by that virtue they are lawful. They follow a belief system which to them would be law.

Law is not a constant. What is law to you may not be law to others. But is still law. Even a demon that is pure evil can be lawful. They follow a hierarchy. Be it as it may they follow it under fear or duress. To them it is law. Even if it is law to kill all "good" beings.....it is law.

A demon hunter or Barb would not necessarily be Chaotic neutral. Dh is simply taking revenge. Her motives may be motivated by good or greedy purpose. The only thing we can judge them by is the story line of the game which would make them more of a chaotic good.
Reply Quote
MVP
10/24/2013 12:50 PMPosted by Nevalistis
Crusaders are extremely devoted to their cause, and their methods are occasionally a bit more unconventional than others. However, that isn't to say they are vehemently against what they are told to do - their entire quest occurred because they were issued an order, and they stick to that order no matter the cost. That's what leads me to believe they fall in between law and chaos, rather than one side of the spectrum.

That actually makes quite a bit of sense. =P

Thank you for the clarification.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]