Diablo® III

What are the alignments of the classes?

Lets see..

Barbarian: True Neutral. They had a duty, which they have (in a sense) failed at. For our character at least, all that really exists is the fight.
Monk: Lawful Good. This guy is all about being good, so theres that, but he also follows a very disciplined lifestyle.
Wizard: Chaotic Good. The wizards don't care what you think about them, they just pick a goal and get it don't. Ultimately though they believe theyre doing good things.
Demon Hunters: Chaotic Neutral. They Kill Demons. Anything else that gets done is a side effect. Theyre not complicated
Witch Doctor: Neutral Good. Like the wizard, their goals are ultimately good, however their methods are somewhat more structured that the wizard's.
Reply Quote
Neva, seeing you talking about char alignment brings such great memorys from my late childhood/teenager years... Tons of afternoons with friends playing D&D, AD&D, GURPS, Vampire, Werewolf..... good times....

By the way haven't you choose your avatar yet?
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
I think a good tell is their response to the Templar when he asks how criminals are treated where they come from.

Barbarian: There are none left to punish them. They live as nomadic individuals now, not belonging to any society. Their morals are nebulous mostly due to them holding in their feelings.
Chaotic Neutral.

Demon Hunter: They are given three days food and water and banished. This is spoken with cold indifference. Their homeland is not really much more than a training ground as the DH says to the enchantress at one point. Their society is as loose knit as a burlap sack but unlike the barbarian there is some structure to give a little nudge to their moral compass.
Chaotic Good

Witch Doctor: They are banished. As if to say "What else would anyone do?" The punishment is simple and perhaps the only one their society uses. The WD deals with powers that many might consider to be profane but they treat it with an "It is what it is" attitude.
True Neutral

Monk: I am sent to punish them. (paraphrased) The monk receives orders from a higher individual and carries them out to the best of their power feeling certain that they are doing the right thing. The ways of their society are revered amongst them thus they have a definite code of laws.
Lawful Good

Wizard: They appear before a magistrate and are thrown in prison. The tone this is spoken in, at least for the female wizard, sounds a lot like they are reciting it verbatim. This shows that although the wizard is neither as hide bound as the Horadrim nor as power mad a Kule they are accustomed to a very orderly and possibly bureaucratic society.
Lawful Neutral

Compelling argument! I hadn't thought of using their "civics" responses to determine their alignment. Instead, based on their interactions with people and the world around them, I supposed (read: guessed) what they would do in a non-demonic catastrophe, such as a flood, fire or earthquake:

Monk, Crusader: Would join the authorities in organizing search and rescue efforts, and in restoring order. So, lawful good.

Barbarian, Witch Doctor: Would join in the search and rescue efforts, but wouldn't care about helping the authorities impose order. So, chaotic good.

Wizard: Would join in the efforts only if it were part of their "destiny." At first I said lawful neutral, but now that I think about it, probably more true neutral. They only care about prophecy and their part in it.

Demon Hunter: All they care about is the next demon infestation. If the catastrophe were of demonic origin, they'd join. If it weren't, they wouldn't. So, chaotic neutral.

But as I said, yours is also compelling. Something to think about.
Reply Quote
10/24/2013 01:11 PMPosted by DrothVader
Crusaders are extremely devoted to their cause, and their methods are occasionally a bit more unconventional than others. However, that isn't to say they are vehemently against what they are told to do - their entire quest occurred because they were issued an order, and they stick to that order no matter the cost. That's what leads me to believe they fall in between law and chaos, rather than one side of the spectrum.

That actually makes quite a bit of sense. =P

Thank you for the clarification.

So they're like, lawful belief wise but neutral government wise lol.
Reply Quote
maybe the diablo 3 monk is neutral good. but I'd think in general monks are lawful neutral.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/game/lore/short-story/monk/

diablo 3 monk refuses orders to kill a small blind child. therefore he's outright good and willing to ignore his orders and fight against his tutor.

neutral for the same reason as the crusader, good because good.

the other monk killed an entire village trying to find and kill a small child, instead of questioning his order to find out he is being used to cover up a scandal

lawful because he followed orders to the end, neutral because he was willing to kill a village of innocent people.
Reply Quote
I took a crack at this in another thread. Here's what I originally suggested (keeping note that this is a personal opinion):

Monk: Lawful Good
Barbarian, Demon Hunter: Chaotic Neutral
Wizard, Witch Doctor: True Neutral
Crusader (for bonus points!): Neutral Good

Mind you, I think these choices might vary depending on the gender of each character you play. They all react a bit differently to certain conversations and events. For reference, my Nephalem are Female for the Monk, Demon Hunter, Witch Doctor, and Barbarian, and Male for the Wizard. In addition, remember that alignment is an extremely subjective mechanic, primarily because it can be interpreted very differently from person to person. Some consider it rules that you must absolutely adhere to, while others may see it more as a generalization.

It's a system that I don't think lends itself too well to the Diablo universe. I wouldn't say there's a one "true" answer to this question, but it's definitely interesting to hear others' thoughts on why they think a character adheres to a particular alignment. As an avid tabletop nerd, I'd love to hear your reasoning. =)

The monk is clearly lawful good, and the crusader probably would be too.

The demon hunter is more ambiguous, but in the D&D rulebooks, demon hunters may be "any good" alignment. The DH could be lawful good like the monk, but not religiously-oriented, since she (he in my game) is committed to the mission of fighting evil. The DH could also be neutral good, since she focuses less on goodness than she does on getting the job done and fighting demons. The DH could also be simply good, since she not only battles demons but also likes to help people. However, the DH is not chaotic good, since she has a mission in life that she is committed to, and is highly disciplined and focused.

The barbarian is also good-aligned, which is apparent in his dialogue. However, he is also focused on glory, which is a neutral goal. He is also somewhat chaotic, which is true for most barbarians. In D&D, barbarians can be "any non-lawful", with chaotic-something being the most common, so he is probably chaotic good, or maybe chaotic neutral good.

The witch doctor is not lawful to any particular order, since he (she in my game) broke away from his tribe due to their human sacrifice and unwillingness to listen to the spirits that warned about the end times. He is not chaotic either, since he serves the spirits that aim to save the world from this apocalypse. The WD is clearly a nice person that wants to help people, as well as battle evil. "Good" is a stand-alone alignment in some versions of D&D, so I would list the witch doctor's alignment as good.

The wizard is clearly on the chaotic side. The "rebel crusader" that opposes evil tyrants is one of the defining features of the chaotic good alignment. The wizard challenged the authority of her teachers in the Yshari Sanctum, since they wanted to limit their students' access to knowledge (one of the defining features of tyranny). The wizard is somewhat reckless and arrogant, but clearly wants to do what is right and help people. Through the dialogue, it is clear that she is good-leaning, so I would list the wizard's alignment as chaotic good.

There are no non-good character classes, as far as I can tell.
Reply Quote
I have difficulty accepting alignment labels in Diablo mostly due to the fact that the game doesn't give me a fine grained perspective on my character. For me, my Monk or Barbarian is a soldier within a larger collection of soldiers for which each individual has the capacity for a complete range of morality and behavior. We never get to really know who are characters are as individuals because we never get down to the nitty gritty interpersonal interactions that help flesh out alignments (my Barbarian may smack squirt across the face for her sass whereas your Barbarian may offer up a generous tip for providing a much needed healing potion).

I don't mind the haziness of alignments though because we get a more zoomed out view of this massive conflict where seemingly everyone has joined together against a common foe. I love the epic feel of Diablo in that, lets say Wizards are generally evil, Diablo and his minions are so evil that a Wizard would be a saint by comparison. *Note: I'm not saying wizards are evil it's just an example that I've carefully selected as my husband's main is a Wizard.*

Of course there's no harm in discussing alignment in Diablo, I just think it's a hard thing to do given our point of view on Sanctuary. Plus, if you tell me my Barbarian is Lawful/Good that really isn't going to stop her from taking out her aggression on poor little squirt.
Reply Quote
MVP - Diablo III
View profile
Without looking at anything above, I'm going to say:

Barbarian: Chaotic good
Crusader (pending personality): Lawful neutral
Demon hunter: Chaotic neutral
Monk: Lawful good
Witch doctor: True neutral
Wizard: Chaotic neutral
Twitter: @Jaetch
Reply Quote
The Monk is in my opinion True neutral. His religion is a bit odd to most of us and a bit severe actually (see treatment of prisoners and funeral processions of loved ones). No one cares to correct him because they are scared !@#$less. Notice how no one really talks to him, that's why he's such an amazing straight ahead leader. He gets the job done and could care less what you think. He follows the good unbendingly oh wait no he is just is following his crazy religion. Yes this adheres to most commonly held notions of good (he isn't evil), but his good is not the good of the archetypal hero imo.

The Witch Doctor to me should be chaotic good. If drawing fetishes, spirits and other aspects of the dead out from The Unformed Land isn't crazy... Dealing with the dead is frowned upon by some and that is perhaps for good reason. The skeptics would be laid to rest with his(or her) utter mastery over the 'dark arts', and by the heart, sincerity and lust for good ( not to mention amiability) that I see in the Witch Doctor.

The Sorc (oh sorry, Wizard) is chaotic neutral (maybe all good) mostly due to their immature arrogance. They trust themselves and their craft (without much substance else to really speak of). Their magic is inherently dangerous which Wiz's teacher disowned them over and is why the order of assassins exists. Neutral because they apparently so focused on their craft as to only acknowledge. That last sentence was bs ELEMENTAL MAGIC iS KNOWN TO BE DANGEROUS and could corrupt the least expecting hero.

Pt.2 upcoming..
Reply Quote
10/24/2013 02:35 PMPosted by RedDragonfly
I have difficulty accepting alignment labels in Diablo mostly due to the fact that the game doesn't give me a fine grained perspective on my character. For me, my Monk or Barbarian is a soldier within a larger collection of soldiers for which each individual has the capacity for a complete range of morality and behavior. We never get to really know who are characters are as individuals because we never get down to the nitty gritty interpersonal interactions that help flesh out alignments (my Barbarian may smack squirt across the face for her sass whereas your Barbarian may offer up a generous tip for providing a much needed healing potion).

You get quite a bit of character from the cinematics, their interactions with the Followers and from the quest info. Reading the quests gives some insight into each of the classes personality. Of course, they all say the same "get the sword, kill the demon" bit, but it's phrased quite differently for each class. Some are still incredibly generic, but some are quite interesting.
Reply Quote
Barbarian, Demon Hunter: Chaotic Neutral
Wizard, Witch Doctor: True Neutral
Crusader (for bonus points!): Neutral Good

Thanks for the expanaltion Mr. Nevalistis!

Then I would agree with your classification, but I would maybe put the Witch doctor in the "Good", as when you listen to what he says, he seems pretty good.

But! On a more interesting point, we could put the Witch doctor in the "Lawful good" category with the Monk, if we consider his "Spirit world" rules to be on the same line of the "Light or goldy" laws. When you think about it, the Witch doctor seems to respect some kind of balance with the spirits. But, if he's not as Lawful as the Monk, then we should put him in the "Neutral Good" category, as the presence of some laws "of nature" in his beliefs makes him more than Chaotic. Right?

Edit: Okay, I've given some thoughts on this and I figured this out:

Crusader and Witch Doctor: Neutral Good
Barbarian and Demon hunter: Chaotic Neutral
Wizard: True Neutral
Edited by bearr#2157 on 10/24/2013 9:54 PM PDT
Reply Quote

I thought that "true neutral" was the alignment of animals, and those that are so deficient in wisdom that they do not understand the difference between right and wrong. I could be wrong though. Also, the DH is too disciplined and committed to the goal of hunting demons to be chaotic.
Reply Quote

I thought that "true neutral" was the alignment of animals, and those that are so deficient in wisdom that they do not understand the difference between right and wrong. I could be wrong though. Also, the DH is too disciplined and committed to the goal of hunting demons to be chaotic.

True neutral means just that. You don't take a stance. in D&D druids have to be true neutral because nature doesn't judge, it is what it is. You follow laws more because its not worth dealing with the consequences of breaking them than any compelling lawful need to follow them. Neutral in the good/evil sense might be that you wont actively antagonize anyone or help anyone unless there are obvious benefits and they outweigh the consequences.

edit: as for the demon hunter, "Chaotic" doesn't mean spontaneous and random, it just means that they don't care what other people think about their actions, they do whatever they want (or in the Dh's case, have to) to achieve their goal. That doesn't mean they'll throw someone under the bus if at all avoidable, but if they , for example, know a demon is disguised as someone, they wont inform the authorities, they'll just break in and kill it.
Edited by Keltest#1301 on 10/25/2013 5:14 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Druids can be "any neutral", not just "true neutral". The DH clearly does favor good over evil, as apparent in the dialogue and the mission of the demon hunters. Also, chaotic individuals seldom have long-reaching goals and philosophies that they are committed to.
Reply Quote
10/25/2013 12:39 PMPosted by Starblazer
Druids can be "any neutral", not just "true neutral". The DH clearly does favor good over evil, as apparent in the dialogue and the mission of the demon hunters. Also, chaotic individuals seldom have long-reaching goals and philosophies that they are committed to.

AFAIK, druids can be only "true neutral" in a classic D'n'D system.
Again, if we are to use classic D'n'D determinations, i guess the classes must have the following alignments:
Monk: any good (neutral and evil is restricted). Considering D3 monk is a member of a certain brotherhood he is closer to lawful good. If we don't use D'n'D system I'd suggest "true neutral" for any monk since they seek balance through their life.
Barbarian: cannot be lawful (in D'n'D). Taking into consideration their desire to save their tribe from risen evil I assume he is either neutral good or chaotic good.
Wizard/WD/DH: neutral/chaotic and good/neutral, more tending to neutral/chaotic good and less likely to chaotic neutral (taking into account that "chaotic neutral" plane is Limbo which is endlessly changing forms and is lacking stability at all, which if implied to characters can mean almost none char listed would prove to be absent-minded traveller driven by uncontrollable powers).
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Warrior
10/24/2013 01:24 PMPosted by Ryaskybird
Barbarian, Witch Doctor: Would join in the search and rescue efforts, but wouldn't care about helping the authorities impose order. So, chaotic good.

Perspective is everything. "The authorities" has no effect whatsoever on a person's alignment. Lawful only relates to their own set of rules, if they have them. Those rules may come from others or even themselves, but as long as they have a code and the follow it, that means they are lawful. A Witch Doctor is very lawful, but to the spirits. Chaotics have no code, whether their own or from others, neither the Barb (who had a code and is questioning his destiny now) nor the Witch Doctor (who follows exactly what the Spirits tell her) fall under Chaotic.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
10/26/2013 08:16 PMPosted by Grayson

Perspective is everything. "The authorities" has no effect whatsoever on a person's alignment. Lawful only relates to their own set of rules, if they have them. Those rules may come from others or even themselves, but as long as they have a code and the follow it, that means they are lawful. A Witch Doctor is very lawful, but to the spirits. Chaotics have no code, whether their own or from others, neither the Barb (who had a code and is questioning his destiny now) nor the Witch Doctor (who follows exactly what the Spirits tell her) fall under Chaotic.

I didn't say that the "authorities" would have an effect on a person's alignment. I said that the witch doctor and barbarian wouldn't care about the authorities' rules and order. Something different altogether.

And my understanding of chaotics is that they follow their own road and their own personal code, which, again, is what I understand the witch doctor and barbarian do. In any event, they definitely would not allow themselves to be co-opted by a bureaucracy or governmental agency, even if it's only the town constables imposing order after a natural catastrophe.
Reply Quote
According to the definitions of Law & Chaos as well as Good & Evil in the AD&D ruleset I would see them as following:

Monk: Lawful Neutral
If anyone read the short story you might agree. The good isn't a main thing in their order. Akyev is the best example for that aligment. He's following orders no matter what. They don't care about common people in general.

Barbarian: Lawful Neutral
As long as the Worldstone existed, they had a strict intention: to protect it no matter the costs. They attacked other humans with no second thought if they got too close to their territory. In D2 (or in the manual? Don't remember anymore...) there was a text and if my memory isn't too bad this was a small lore text which described it. With the Worldstone destroyed they seek new purpose as any lawful character would do it.

Wizard: Chaotic Good
As others already pointed out, they want to do some good, help people out of their misery. But they don't care exactly how they do it. They don't care about the magistrates rules either, just to, what is necessary.

Demon Hunter: Chaotic Good
Good because hunting and slaying demons (which are naturally evil) is their primary purpose. But their motivations like revenge are moving them more towards neutral on the Good & Evil axis. They help people as long as it doesn't hinder them reaching their goal and it wouldn't cost too much time. But in the end they a little bit more good than neutral because they help others in their own way: nobody should lose a loved one because of demons.

Witch Doctor: Lawful Neutral (or even True Neutral?)
Difficult to judge. It's not my favorite class so I didn't hear much ingame. My judgement in this case is not really good, but I try it anyway.
They have their faith, the spirit world. I don't know if there are good and evil spirits in this realm. In this case they are more or less lawful. The spirits however don't care much about the mortal world, so I would say they are neutral. But... aren't the witch doctors seeking for balance like the druids in D&D? I don't know, so this case should be marked with a really big question mark.

Here are btw the definitions:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alignment_%28Dungeons_&_Dragons%29
Reply Quote
What makes people think the Barb is Chaotic or Nuetral.

He keeps his word, lives by a code (As evident by his dialogue) and isn't singlemindedly focused on fighting every possible powerful opponent.

If he was he would have taken a crack at the Stranger after the sword was restored, or the angels after defeating Diablo.

You can make an argument that the Barb is good aligned pretty easily, heck you could make an argument that he is lawful but that is not evident since his society was DESTROYED and the authority which it crafted its laws from no longer exists.

Heck the better question is why aren't there any characters doing it for purely selfish motives (Scoundral aside) and therefore Nuetral Evil.
Reply Quote
Interesting discussions. The D&D alignment system may not be the best way of classifying someone. It's too vague, and some of the formal rules don't make real-world sense. According to the D&D alignment rules, someone that's neutral can attack any other combatant, and if we related that to the real world, you would be considered evil if you killed a cop since he is a combatant and therefore fair game. Also, true chaos doesn't really exist. Maybe the informal "good, bad, and in-between" works the best. All 5 classes want to fight evil and help people, so they're probably all good in a real-world sense.
Edited by Starblazer#1223 on 10/30/2013 4:45 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]