Diablo® III

How would you configure your favorite Set item?

I really like Set items because I get a feeling of accomplishment. The fact that I collected a whole set and my char is able to be a BAMF with that set is a great feeling. Unfortunately, I feel that in D3, some of the set items need a makeover in order to match up to some of its counterparts. I have a few ideas in mind. I'm creating this discussion to see what others think and what other ideas there are floating along. Maybe someone's idea will be used in the future :)

I'll start off:

IK Boulder Breaker. In order to compare to EF and offhand/skorn, this is what I would change:

1400-1800 DPS
1.10-1.15 APS
40-50% damage
350-550 STR
4-5% Life Steal
150-250 CD
100-150 VIT
Generates 3-4 Fury per hit
Socket
One of 4 Magic Properties (Varies)
-Decrease cooldown of Leap by 4-5 sec
-Increase reduce damage of Threatening Shout to 30-40% for 8-10 sec
-Decrease cooldown of Furious Charge by 4-5 sec
-20-35% chance to cause an earthquake that will deal 150% damage within 8 yards for 2 sec

Inna's Reach:

1400-1800 DPS
1.25-1.35 APS
40-50% damage
350-550 DEX
4-5% Life Steal
150-250 CD
40-60 AR
Generate 3-4 Spirit per hit
Socket
-Reduce resource cost of Cyclone Strike by 20-25 Spirit
-Reduce resource cost of Lashing Tail Kick by 5-10 Spirit
-Reduce cooldown of Serenity by 3-6 sec
-20-35% chance to summon a random Mystic Ally for 5 Sec (Essentially you can sometimes have 2 Mystic Allies if you already have the skill)

Zunimassa's String of Skulls:

(75-150)-(100-500) Damage
200-300 INT
3-4% Life Steal
100-200 CD
400-550 Armor
Increases Mana Regeneration by 6-8 per Sec
Socket
-Reduce Mana Cost of Zombie Charger by 30 Mana
-Reduce cooldown of Mass Confusion by 20 sec
-Reduces duration of control impairing effects by 25-35%
-20-35% chance to summon a Zombie for 15 sec

Tal Rasha's Unwavering Glare:

(75-150)-(100-500) Damage
200-300 INT
3-4% Life Steal
100-200 CD
CC increased by 10-12%
Increases Arcane Regeneration by 6-8 per Sec
Socket
-Reduce cooldown of Teleport by 6 sec
-25-35% chance to cast meteors around you that will deal 150% damage within 4 yards for 3 sec
-25-35% chance to cast blizzard around you that will deal 150% damage within 4 yards for 3 sec
-25-35% chance to cast lighting bolts around you that will deal 150% damage within 4 yards for 3 sec

Natalya's Slayer:

1150-1350 DPS
1.8-1.9 APS
200-300 DEX
3-4% Life Steal
100-200 CD
IAS by 9-10%
Increases Discipline Regeneration by 2-3 per Sec
Socket
-Increases maximum of Spike Traps by 1-2
-Reduce Discipline cost of Vault by 2 Discipline
-25-35% chance to activate a trap within 4 yards that will deal 100% physical damage and slow down the enemy
-25-35% chance to summon a Companion for 4 sec (Essentially you can sometimes have 2 Companions if you already have the skill)

Please continue this with how you would configure items. Take into account skills if possible. Thank you
Edited by George#1624 on 10/23/2013 3:26 PM PDT
Reply Quote
any thoughts on this?
Reply Quote
Thank you for the link to this thread. Well i do not know if the set items should be a different version that what they are, but you are right, if you actually got some set bonus when you have a set item, then maybe the IK bolder breaker would be worth it.
Reply Quote
No problem Scorp, thanks for your input. The current Set bonuses are somewhat useful in my opinion. It's the actual stats of each set item that is the problem with having a full set. By trying to balance the set item with items of similar "power" (for the lack of a better word) that item can be "competitive" or as useful when compared to other items. It does not have to necessarily be equal, but balanced. For example, if item 1 has 100 CD and item 2 has +1000 life per kill, it is very obvious which item most people would choose. But, if item 1 has 50 CD and 100 VIT as compared to 8 CC and 50 AR, the choice might be more difficult because it would actually depend on the rest of your gear and build. This is a very simple example, but I hope my point gets across. This would allow for a bigger variety of items used (instead of the usual Mempo, Witching Hour, Lacuni, Vile Ward, Ice Climbers, EF, etc. etc).

Scorp, by "different version" are you referring to the stats? Do the stats on the IK Boulder or any weapon that I have actually make it seem plausible to use? Or would you not change the current item at all? Would you do anything different for the items that I listed or any Set/Leg items currently in the game?

For anyone else that would like to comment, what do you like/dislike about the current Set items in the game and the changes that I suggested? Would you do something different and how?

Thank you for everyone's input on this :)
Reply Quote
Community Manager
/Blue Bump (It's not as cool as the Colbert Bump, but hey. No one's as cool as Colbert.)

I'm interested to see where this discussion might go. :)
Reply Quote
Well, I'm copy pasting this from my thread in the RoS forums, but thanks for the thread, good place to put it.

Supposing this works the way I imagine, there are these two data-mined legendary affixes:

Knockback knocks up enemies instead.

and

Increase the Knockback distance of your skills that cause Knockback by 100% and increase their damage by 50%.

Combine these, get a Demon Hunter, giver her a 40% KB Windforce, juggle enemies infinitely with Rapid Fire. YES, that's right, we are now playing Diablo May Cry.

But you have to take this a step further and introduce the Ebony and Ivory dual-wield hand x-bow set with the (probably OP) set bonus of: 100% chance to knock back when worn together. Now we can be a true demon hunting bad !@#.

Please, Blizz?

Otherwise, I have too little information on how item dynamics work in the expansion, hopefully much better than the current situation we have with Manticores/EF being so dominant, (2 legs out of dozens, yay!) so I'm holding off on that.
Edited by Ignatius#1870 on 10/23/2013 10:30 AM PDT
Reply Quote
item only?

how about set bonus
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/10093369243#1

I think sets are weak because the only difference they make at completely the set is some additional resource.

added:
change a piece of item might add some value but ultimately that is one 1 legendary and affect very little on how a player will pick to use a set.
Edited by KirusAlufras#1739 on 10/23/2013 10:42 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Based off the Tal Rasha set bonuses, I feel they are abit weak so they could change to something like this.

Fire Damage +5%, (20% chance when struck by fire to be caught aflame dealing an additional 300% damage over 5 seconds)

Lightning Damage +5% (20% chance when struck by lightning to be stunned for 1.5 seconds)

Ice Damgage +5%(When struck by Ice/cold, 20% chance to have enemies attack slowed by 60% for 3 seconds)

Full Set Bonus: 3 Arcane per second gained, 10 Arcane added to total.
Reply Quote
Set item bonuses should be unique, fun and game changing. Simple +100 str, 10 CC is not an option.

lets talk about IK set for example, with Big 2-handed hammer it should be about SMASHING !

2 Parts should increase BASH fury generation to 10 for example (primary skill)
3 parts should reduce hammer of the ancients cost to 10 fury (secondary skill)
4 parts might increase range of seismic slam (secondary skill)
and 5 parts should cut earthquake cooldown by half (Powerful skill)

simple suggestion but one specific set might change some barbs build around specific type of skills, smashing ones in this example.

Another set might be about mobility
Increasing run speed, changing leap, sprint and charge !
Reply Quote
tal rasha set is really pathetic. so bad most wizards use WD zuni set or just one piece from tha tal rasha set.

I'd make the elemental damages do 10% each step instead of 3%
And AP generation should be 5 instead of 2 for completing the whole set.
Reply Quote
tal rasha set is really pathetic. so bad most wizards use WD zuni set or just one piece from tha tal rasha set.

I'd make the elemental damages do 10% each step instead of 3%
And AP generation should be 5 instead of 2 for completing the whole set.

I figured 5% with a extra bonus effect with each one. Also 5 AP regen isnt bad either,.
Reply Quote
Full IK set bonus: 500 to Armor
Reply Quote
/Blue Bump (It's not as cool as the Colbert Bump, but hey. No one's as cool as Colbert.)

I'm interested to see where this discussion might go. :)

Thank you for that :) I'm actually trying to get more people's thoughts on this! :)

Set item bonuses should be unique, fun and game changing. Simple +100 str, 10 CC is not an option.

lets talk about IK set for example, with Big 2-handed hammer it should be about SMASHING !

2 Parts should increase BASH fury generation to 10 for example (primary skill)
3 parts should reduce hammer of the ancients cost to 10 fury (secondary skill)
4 parts might increase range of seismic slam (secondary skill)
and 5 parts should cut earthquake cooldown by half (Powerful skill)

simple suggestion but one specific set might change some barbs build around specific type of skills, smashing ones in this example.

Another set might be about mobility
Increasing run speed, changing leap, sprint and charge !

So without changing the IK Boulder stats, but instead changing the bonus stats of the set that you suggested, would it be more likely that you would try to use the set as compared to EF/offhand and Witching Hour Belt? If not, why not?

As with other responses, it seems like people are focusing on set bonuses as compared to the stats on the items themselves. I have the same question for the community that I asked Reni: If the bonuses on the sets were "improved" (but the item stats remained the same) how much more likely would it be that you would chose a set item as compared to one of the more popular items in the game currently? (EF, WD zuni, Witching Hour, Ice Climbers, etc. etc.)
Reply Quote
You know, I kind of figured that D3 would have all the sets from D2 as well as dozens if not hundreds of new ones. I would take any sets featuring any stats at this point. I've only found two set pieces ever, so it feels deeply pointless to discuss what they should be like. When I am rich I'm gonna have Chateaubriand for breakfast too.
Reply Quote
Once again, I appreciate everyone's input on this. Any constructive comments as to what and why you like/dislike something currently in the game or someone's idea will help greatly!
Reply Quote
If Sigons set was to make a comeback that would be awesome :). I loved shinning silver, and the set itself gave great stats.
Reply Quote
Natalya's Slayer

612-853 Damage Per Second
+(140-250)-(550-780) Poison Damage
+41-50% Damage
1.76-1.78 Attacks Per Second
210-330 Dexterity
+4-5% Critical Strike Chance
Increases Attack Speed by 10-11%
Increases Maximum Discipline by 10-15.
Targets take 20% additional weapon damage as Cold over 3 seconds.

Randomly Rolls two of the following Class-Based properties:
  • Primary Skills generate 2 additional Hatred. (Primary skills are Hungering Arrow, Entangling Shot, Bola Shot, and Grenades)

• Secondary Skills generate .5% of their Hatred cost as Discipline. (Secondary Skills are Impale, Rapid Fire, Chakram, and Elemental Arrow)

• Defensive Skills Blind enemies within 8 yards for 1 second. (Defensive Skills are Caltrops, Smoke Screen, and Shadow Power)
  • Note: Caltrops blinds enemies that are near it when it's activated, not on initial cast.

• Hunting Skills lay a Shock Trap on the ground. When sprung the trap unleashes a cluster of electrified nodes that form a web of energy over 6 yards, restoring .5 Hatred for each affected enemy and causing 165% of weapon damage as Lightning over 3 seconds in the area. (Hunting Skills are Vault, Preparation, Companion, and Marked for Death)
  • Note: Vault lays a trap at the spot of initial use and at the spot where the DH comes to a stop. Companion both leaves a trap beneath the feet of the DH when initially cast and has a 20% chance to lay a trap on attack. Marked for Death lays the trap beneath the feet of the enemy it was cast on. Maximum of 3 traps at once, Custom Engineering doubles the amount to 6. Shock Traps do not count against the number of available Spike Traps.

• Devices Skills have a chance to fire three Rockets that deal 60% of weapon damage each to nearby enemies. (Devices skills are Evasive Fire, Fan of Knives, Spike Trap, and Sentry)
  • Note: The chance to launch a Rocket for each skill are as follows; Evasive Fire - 40%, Fan of Knives - 65%, Spike Trap - 60%, Sentry - 15%. Spike Trap's proc occurs when they detonate, Echoing Blast can trigger on each explosion of a single trap. Sentry can proc on each attack.

• Archery Skills have a 5% chance to summon a Shadow Beast that will crash into an enemy and explode, dealing 75% weapon damage as fire and stunning enemies in a 5 yard area for 1 second. (Archery skills are Strafe, Multishot, Cluster Arrow, and Rain of Vengeance)
    Note: The chance to proc is rolled when an Archery Skill deals damage rather than when cast, allowing for the possibility for Multishot, Cluster Arrow, and Rain of Vengeance to summon multiple Shadow Beasts with a single use.
  • Edited by Omniance#1371 on 10/23/2013 11:58 AM PDT
    Reply Quote
    Natalya's Slayer

612-853 Damage Per Second
    +(140-250)-(550-780) Poison Damage
    +41-50% Damage
    1.76-1.78 Attacks Per Second
    210-330 Dexterity
    +4-5% Critical Strike Chance
    Increases Attack Speed by 10-11%
    Increases Maximum Discipline by 10-15.
    Targets take 20% additional weapon damage as Cold over 3 seconds.

Randomly Rolls two of the following Class-Based properties:
  • Primary Skills generate 2 additional Hatred. (Primary skills are Hungering Arrow, Entangling Shot, Bola Shot, and Grenades)

• Secondary Skills generate .5% of their Hatred cost as Discipline. (Secondary Skills are Impale, Rapid Fire, Chakram, and Elemental Arrow)

• Defensive Skills Blind enemies within 8 yards for 1 second. (Defensive Skills are Caltrops, Smoke Screen, and Shadow Power)
  • Note: Caltrops blinds enemies that are near it when it's activated, not on initial cast.

• Hunting Skills lay a Shock Trap on the ground. When sprung the trap unleashes a cluster of electrified nodes that form a web of energy over 6 yards, restoring .5 Hatred for each affected enemy and causing 165% of weapon damage as Lightning over 3 seconds in the area. (Hunting Skills are Vault, Preparation, Companion, and Marked for Death)
  • Note: Vault lays a trap at the spot of initial use and at the spot where the DH comes to a stop. Companion both leaves a trap beneath the feet of the DH when initially cast and has a 20% chance to lay a trap on attack. Marked for Death lays the trap beneath the feet of the enemy it was cast on. Maximum of 3 traps at once, Custom Engineering doubles the amount to 6. Shock Traps do not count against the number of available Spike Traps.

• Devices Skills have a chance to fire three Rockets that deal 60% of weapon damage each to nearby enemies. (Devices skills are Evasive Fire, Fan of Knives, Spike Trap, and Sentry)
  • Note: The chance to launch a Rocket for each skill are as follows; Evasive Fire - 40%, Fan of Knives - 65%, Spike Trap - 60%, Sentry - 15%. Spike Trap's proc occurs when they detonate, Echoing Blast can trigger on each explosion of a single trap. Sentry can proc on each attack.

• Archery Skills have a 5% chance to summon a Shadow Beast that will crash into an enemy and explode, dealing 75% weapon damage as fire and stunning enemies in a 5 yard area for 1 second. (Archery skills are Strafe, Multishot, Cluster Arrow, and Rain of Vengeance)
    Note: The chance to proc is rolled when an Archery Skill deals damage rather than when cast, allowing for the possibility for Multishot, Cluster Arrow, and Rain of Vengeance to summon multiple Shadow Beasts with a single use.

• Excellent feedback Omniance. I'm not much of a DH person, so I can't comment much on it, but I like the level of detail. I also like that you incorporated skill use into the item stats. I feel like using skills into item stats can really help create a diversity of items. If what you suggest for Natalya's Slayer were the actual item stats, would that and the current set bonuses be something that would look more appealing for you in order to collect the whole set? If yes, what about the set bonuses do you like and why. If no, why not and what would you change?
    Edited by George#1624 on 10/23/2013 12:07 PM PDT
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)
    Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]