Diablo® III

Should I even start WoW...

I was going to post this thread on the WoW boards but it would not let me do it. I am thinking about starting WoW. I have around 300 hours in D3 and I shelved it a few months ago until the expansion comes out. I am currently playing Marvel Heroes and I have near 300 hours in it. I love that game, but after this last patch, the game is almost unplayable for me. For some reason they just can't remove the lag and stuttering out of the game. It is making it very difficult to play. A few months ago, I downloaded the WoW starter edition and gave it a spin for a few days. I liked it, but decided that I wouldn't delve into into any further.

I am married and have a 2 year old son and another baby on the way in January. I only have a couple of hours most nights to play games. Should I even start up WoW? Is that amount of available game time enough to get any enjoyment out of WoW and more importantly advance?

Also, I uninstalled the starter edition, so I can't log in and check this, but at the time I got a "splash screen" when logging in that I could upgrade the starter edition to the "regular" edition for $5.00. Is that still the case? Do I need to buy all of the expansions right away or can I just play the first edition for a while then buy the next and so on and so forth.

I know I sound like an idiot, but I don't know alot about WoW.

Thanks for the help!
Reply Quote
...I'd say no, but that's just my opinion.

1) The game has become WAY too easy. I tried leveling a Pandarian Shaman a few months ago and I couldn't even get it beyond 26 before canceling my sub again. Nothing about the game got my blood pumping to want to play further. It was just so...boring.

2) Anonymity destroyed the community thanks to all the cross-realm zoning. There's so much trolling/harassment and whatnot, it's not even funny anymore.

3) No one likes playing as the tank (mostly due to reason 2). Seriously, you queue as a tank, and dungeons/pvp starts almost instantly.

4) Guilds are almost pointless now aside from the level bonuses. There's no need for a guild to help you accomplish a task; particularly raids.

5) There's hardly anything different between classes nowadays. Seriously, I remember when different class healers actually performed in different and unique ways. Now everything has the basic fast heal / slow mega heal / AoE heal and whatnot. That kinda cr@p. I think the few things that were actually still somewhat unique were Shaman's Earth Shield and the Priest's Health Bowl.

6) Talent tree getting axed. I get it, the Vanilla to Cata tree was flawed due to cookie-cutter building, but that lame "3 choices every 15 levels" thing they got in there now is such a joke in comparison.

7) I'm in a very small minority on this one, but the gear in the game flat out SUCKS. The next level tier is, 95-98% of the time, nothing but better stats/skill bonuses then the previous tier. Doesn't help that every patch that comes out continues to streamline the gear gimmicks. For example, instead of having variety to look for like +fire, +frost or even +healing, it's now all combined as +spellpower.

Ya...that's really just the surface of reasons why I haven't played WoW since forever.
Edited by Retloclive#1656 on 10/22/2013 10:19 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I would say no due to your limited gaming time. My guess is that you will become addicted like most other people and it will end up hurting your personal life. The game is like crack.

I had to quit playing some years ago because it took up all my free time. Great game but if you have a full time job and family it can become a problem.
Reply Quote
Wow, the digital crack game. Maybe this will change your mind;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31g0YE61PLQ
Reply Quote
No. Retloclive is on point with everything he said. Community is the best thing about MMOs and WoW has an absolutely garbage community.
Reply Quote
I'm pretty much a dittohead with everything posted above me.

I quit WoW a few months before pandaland went live. I was bored out of my mind.

Since then, the geniuses developing for WoW have instituted a crappy tiered skill system (and the D3 devs pretty much copied the style). Added cross realm zoning, resulting in people dying when crossing a zone when they are a passenger on a 2 person flying mount. And people who purposely chose low population servers getting thrown into high pop/PvP servers with no notice and no choice in the matter. Result: ganking, griefing, resource camping, etc. etc.

Add in the homogenized classes (mirror images with the minor exception of racials) and you've got a boring, frustrating game. Hm, I just realized I could be talking about WoW OR D3, hah!

You might be better off saving the 15 bucks a month and buying extra diapers or baby food, or trying another game.
Reply Quote
WoW peaked about 3 years ago. Hasn't been the same ever since.

Not recommended for new players simply because it will take an insane amount of game time to play it through and be satisfied with it. It would feel like having to build a 50-storey structure completely on your own.

2 hours a night is nowhere near enough to make the most of WoW.

Most players are primed for the end-game of the current expansion so a lot of content from any previous expansion, you will almost never get to see.
Reply Quote
WoW peaked about 3 years ago. Hasn't been the same ever since.

Not recommended for new players simply because it will take an insane amount of game time to play it through and be satisfied with it. It would feel like having to build a 50-storey structure completely on your own.

2 hours a night is nowhere near enough to make the most of WoW.

Most players are primed for the end-game of the current expansion so a lot of content from any previous expansion, you will almost never get to see.

So with each new expansion, content from previous expansions are taken away? Or are you saying that I won't have anyone there to help me with old stuff?

I figured Blizzard making WoW more casual friendly is doing so to target new players. Am I wrong?
Reply Quote
No.

wowdetox.org

The best thing that could happen to you is that you're out 60 bucks and don't enjoy the game.
Edited by Ignatius#1870 on 10/23/2013 3:25 PM PDT
Reply Quote
So with each new expansion, content from previous expansions are taken away? Or are you saying that I won't have anyone there to help me with old stuff?

Not taken away, but it becomes 99.9% useless. Old vanilla/expansion content is rarely ever better then newer expansion content except when it's end expansion content overlapping with the first pieces of gear for the next expansion.

The most you can do with old gear is to just stop leveling and make a twink with the best gear for the level range you stalled at.

I figured Blizzard making WoW more casual friendly is doing so to target new players. Am I wrong?

No your not, they are definitely doing it to bring in new fans, but by doing so, they've pissed off a lot of elitists who wish for the challenging content seen in the Vanilla and Burning Crusade eras.

They actually did bring the challenge back for a bit when Cataclysm first started by making Heroics unbelievably hard, but in return, all the casuals were complaining that they would quit if it wasn't brought back down to Wrath Of The Lich King difficulty.

Ya...it didn't last long.
Edited by Retloclive#1656 on 10/23/2013 4:39 PM PDT
Reply Quote

The latter. Raid dungeons are the big ticket content. Single player can only get you so far. You can do older 5 man dungeons sufficiently but it does require some degree of patience.

You would be lucky to find anyone who is kind enough to take you on a guided tour of the old raid dungeons. Being geared sufficiently is a prerequisite such that you can kill raid level content as a solo player or as a small group and not get killed easily while making meaningful progress.

There are very few groups anywhere that do it for nostalgia, getting items for transmog or for extreme challenges like completing 25 man raids solo.

Even for me, an established and former WoW player (I started when the game launched in November 2004, quit in April 2011), if I were to restart WoW and try to catch up on what I've missed out, I feel that there is too much to do and so little time to do it.

I still have a soft spot for WoW but I cannot bring myself back to playing it.
Edited by Hypersonic#1142 on 10/23/2013 5:44 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I wouldn't.

The games community sucks. Trying to find a guild with nice people is going to the biggest challenge of the game. Why you ask? Because the game is not challenging anymore. They are now up to 4 levels of raiding alone trying to please everyone, which has pleased no one.

Plus, if you don't raid, your gear becomes irrelevant after one patch, so God help you if you are on a pvp server...

I have one level 90, and I only sub to the game once the semester is over, just to see what's new and finish up quests or whatever. Even with that one lvl 90, I still feel like I'm way behind, and it would require tons of effort just to catch up.

It's a game that you HAVE to play everyday, working towards new gear (treadmill), just to keep relevant if you want to ANYTHING in end game or pvp.

But if you just wanna quest, and level, and be social, the game has really expanded on social stuff that isn't a gear requirement (pokemon ingame).
Reply Quote
I say no to you starting wow, just my opinion. My reasons are the cost, you have to pay for a sub, expansions, and internet access to play. Then there are some realms that you can't even get access to because they are full and then when all the new content is finished or old most players leave the game. There are plenty of other games out there that are free 2 play and are like wow in some ways. Your computer may not be able to handle the game anyway and with each new expansion it gets a little worse. Plus you got a wife and kids that need you and want to spend time with you and wow has things in the game you want or need to do within a time frame that is consuming. Just get in D3 kill some mobs have some fun and then go about your day. There are people in this game that will help you from time to time. They just want to do it because they want to not because they have to or anything like asking just do the best with what you can find, buy, or is given to you by others.

When I said buy I meant with gold unless it is better for you to put real money into the game.
Edited by Skunkleaf#1838 on 10/24/2013 4:55 AM PDT
Reply Quote
i went ahead and upgraded. i am not going to do a subscription, because i just don't know how long I will be interested. I will just buy a card after this free month is up, if I want to continue. I honestly am not worried about becoming a wow addict. I am just interested in seeing what the game has to offer and I want to explore Azeroth. I am not interested in becoming the best of the best, I plan to just play solo for the most part. For me, I think if I had alot of friends playing it...that would get me dangerously addicted. I would feel that I had to keep up with my friends and get better gear than they have. I won't have that here so it should be very "go with the flow". Last night I did about 10 quests and logged off.

I know some of you are saying ..."yeah you think you will be able to resist this game's hooks, but you are wrong, I tell you!!"
Reply Quote
I know some of you are saying ..."yeah you think you will be able to resist this game's hooks, but you are wrong, I tell you!!"

If you stick to your plan of exploration and solo questing then you will probably find the game is a lot of fun and has a ridiculous amount of content to offer. If you're a fan of the Warcraft universe it is all the better. Since you've already taken the plunge my only other advice is to avoid joining a guild, that more than anything will get you logging on more hours than you want to.
Reply Quote
As long as you keep your family as a top priority and play sparingly, there shouldn't be problem.

Over the years, I've read up on stories of neglect and addiction ranging from falling school grades to domestic disputes regarding WoW, quite often ending badly, even death. Don't let it happen to you.
Reply Quote
No. You missed the boat years ago. WoW is a shadow of its former self.
Reply Quote
10/24/2013 03:56 PMPosted by CompleatWych
WoW is a shadow of its former self.

This, there's no doubt that the golden age was the WOTLK era. Been on a downward slope ever since.
Reply Quote
Yeah, I'd say don't bother yet, see if there is a new expansion at blizzcon first. If they are going to make some big changes you might as well wait. Personally I feel MOP, while solid, is sorta bleh. I'm really not a fan of the whole theme of the current xpack. I want Blizzard to go toward a more classic warcraft/fantasy theme direction this time.
Reply Quote
10/25/2013 07:51 PMPosted by Retloclive
WoW is a shadow of its former self.

This, there's no doubt that the golden age was the WOTLK era. Been on a downward slope ever since.

Makes me sad to say tbh. Warcraft was my favorite Blizzard universe at one point in time. I never feel like my heart ever leaves it, but yeah, every time I attempt to play WoW again I am reminded why I left.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]