Diablo® III

Should I even start WoW...

I was going to post this thread on the WoW boards but it would not let me do it. I am thinking about starting WoW. I have around 300 hours in D3 and I shelved it a few months ago until the expansion comes out. I am currently playing Marvel Heroes and I have near 300 hours in it. I love that game, but after this last patch, the game is almost unplayable for me. For some reason they just can't remove the lag and stuttering out of the game. It is making it very difficult to play. A few months ago, I downloaded the WoW starter edition and gave it a spin for a few days. I liked it, but decided that I wouldn't delve into into any further.

I am married and have a 2 year old son and another baby on the way in January. I only have a couple of hours most nights to play games. Should I even start up WoW? Is that amount of available game time enough to get any enjoyment out of WoW and more importantly advance?

Also, I uninstalled the starter edition, so I can't log in and check this, but at the time I got a "splash screen" when logging in that I could upgrade the starter edition to the "regular" edition for $5.00. Is that still the case? Do I need to buy all of the expansions right away or can I just play the first edition for a while then buy the next and so on and so forth.

I know I sound like an idiot, but I don't know alot about WoW.

Thanks for the help!

Asking this question on the D3 forums is not good. As you can see most players here have quit Wow or just plain hate it.

I think you should give it a try. There is a misconception that Wow take a lot of time when it does not. 2 hours a night is a lot. Maybe not if you want to be a top raider, but for everything else it is enough time.
Reply Quote
10/25/2013 08:40 PMPosted by CompleatWych
Makes me sad to say tbh. Warcraft was my favorite Blizzard universe at one point in time. I never feel like my heart ever leaves it, but yeah, every time I attempt to play WoW again I am reminded why I left.

I have been curious as to why you quit. Game to casual now? LFG take away community?

Not starting argument,just curious.

As for me i got the game when BC was release. I played BC and Wrath, then quit for Cata and most of MOP. Quit because i was really burnt out and kinda bored of the game and my comp sucked. Recently came back and i like it again. Thank goodness i keep my old Warrior who was lvl 80.
Now i'm trying to play Wow,D3 and Poe all at once!
Reply Quote
10/27/2013 01:26 AMPosted by Socs
Makes me sad to say tbh. Warcraft was my favorite Blizzard universe at one point in time. I never feel like my heart ever leaves it, but yeah, every time I attempt to play WoW again I am reminded why I left.

I have been curious as to why you quit. Game to casual now? LFG take away community?

Not starting argument,just curious.

As for me i got the game when BC was release. I played BC and Wrath, then quit for Cata and most of MOP. Quit because i was really burnt out and kinda bored of the game and my comp sucked. Recently came back and i like it again. Thank goodness i keep my old Warrior who was lvl 80.
Now i'm trying to play Wow,D3 and Poe all at once!

I'll throw my hat into this, as to why I left.

I started in vanilla, and even though the game was horrendously time consuming, broken as far as specs, and gear that just didn't make sense (warrior gear with intel) the community made the game so much fun.

Raiding was just an absolute blast, because even though the bosses were overtuned, having 40 people in a raid was freaking EPIC. Yes, you carried about 10 people, but usually those 10 people were the ones that made raiding the best time of your life in the game!

BC was also an absolute blast, even though gear was overtuned from the start. But here is where the community itself started to only want gear without raiding, and blizz gave it to them....

Then Wrath, and community died more, but we will always have Ulduar.

Cata became just the hardest I had ever seen it for getting people to not only raid, but raid effectively. The community became absolutely toxic.

MoP, I just quit. Guild list: dead. Friends list: dead. Server lost three 25 main raid guilds, two of whom were ranked top 100 US. Our server took a hard, just hard hit, when they all left.

I had game burnout, plus school is coming to a close for me, so I just decided to hang it up and move on.

/end rant.
Reply Quote
10/27/2013 08:14 PMPosted by Papadragon
Server lost three 25 main raid guilds

what server was this?
Reply Quote
For me, WoW died during the first few months of Cataclysm. Heroics and raids were simply overcooked and they tried too hard to take off where WotLK took off.

Random PuGs for heroics were mostly terrible because it seemed most players were only capable of facerolling tank/spank bosses and unable to follow moderately simple strategies like staying in the beam for 80 stacks, step out until it wears off, rinse and repeat. This was hardly a problem in WotLK where you could easily go through Naxx 10 and most early heroics in blue gear and complete all within a reasonable time.

WoW was truly dead when I found out Pokemon pet battles would be a major feature for MoP.
Edited by Hypersonic#1142 on 10/28/2013 3:25 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Server lost three 25 main raid guilds

what server was this?

Didn't see that. Three 25 man raid guilds. From the Doomhammer server. Drow, Exiled Legion, and Phoenix Resurrection. All three guilds were home grown, and two of which have switched to horde.

Alliance side is also hurting, a lot of guilds making the switch to horde these days, just to have a bigger pool of players to recruit from.
Edited by Papadragon#1820 on 10/28/2013 6:40 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I feel like even with only having a couple hours a night to play that would benefit you more. You will always be able to sit down and jump right in to play no matter where you are in the game. It is possible to play the game casually and enjoy doing it. If you want I can use a Recruit-a-Friend for you to give you some in game bonuses and I can show you the basics!

https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/recruit-a-friend

Add me Pygowsky#1563 and we can talk more about it online.
Edited by Pygowsky#1563 on 11/13/2013 8:54 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]