Diablo® III

D3 is not scary - why?

10/25/2013 09:10 PMPosted by Neinball
Diablo 3 doesn't scare me because I'm not 14 anymore.

Love or hate the story, I think this is the main reason.

I dunno, D1 still creeps me out to an extent and I'm almost 30.
Reply Quote
Diablo 3 took a comedic route with covetous shen, Azmodan, and Belial.

Belial is a hilarious character with that ridiculous accent.

"oh i am belial, grade A toff! Admire my demonic shenaningans!! Oh you!!"

We are all 30 year old men now. Blizzard didn't realise that we had all aged 10 years and wouldn't be satisfied with a retarded set of characters and stupid story execution.

"Hi it's me, Azmodan again...i see you haven't defeated me yet haha!

/azmodans head vanishes

/azmodans head reappears

"Hi!! AZMODAN HERE!! Just checking how you're going"

/azmodans head vanishes

/azmodans head appears

" I don't need to my siege weapons or hordes of demons to defeat you!! Hahah worthless human i will simply squash you on my lava toilet when you approach me"

/azmodans head vanishes

Holy !@#$ ? Seriously? Did you honestly think anybody on planet earth would find this interesting or remotely intimidating in any way? Appalling story telling and appalling characters.
Edited by Thorngrin#6756 on 12/29/2013 3:56 PM PST
Reply Quote
Are you listening Blizzard, maybe you should consider making some changes.

I have to respectfully disagree with the "Diablo 1 we were 10, now we're 30" argument. I just played through Diablo 1 last week. The moment I stepped into the Labyrinth and saw my first foes, I had chills. Those chills kept coming through the entire game! I'm now playing through Diablo 2, I get chills, but not as often. I think to a large extent, for me the difference is basic game feel. In Diablo 1 the odds are stacked against you, both in the story and in gameplay. I've had Diablo 1 games where I've encountered a group of enemies that took 5 trips to town for potions in order to beat them. At the time the game felt impossible. D3 feels more like I'm a 1 man wrecking crew, and the demons are in my way. Both games are enjoyable, but one gives me chills and the other gives me satisfaction. I won't lie, I LOVED playing D1 again, but the slow pace and limited capability of battle is infuriating at times, which is where D3 shines! D3 battle mechanics are incredible, but not scary. Now I'm not asking them to change the battle mechanics, I'm just pointing out how I feel.

Something I feel Blizzard could change is tone down the cheesy nature of numerous characters in D3. Azmodan is ridiculous! I challenge you to find a single player that doesn't instinctively hit ESC everytime his head pops up. I LOVE the Diablo lore and story, it's the main reason I play the game. But some of the dialogue in this game is, quite frankly, horrendous! I get chills, but not the good kind.
Edited by Bouvers#1877 on 1/2/2014 2:28 PM PST
Reply Quote
01/02/2014 02:24 PMPosted by Bouvers
In Diablo 1 the odds are stacked against you, both in the story and in gameplay. I've had Diablo 1 games where I've encountered a group of enemies that took 5 trips to town for potions in order to beat them. At the time the game felt impossible. D3 feels more like I'm a 1 man wrecking crew, and the demons are in my way.
I think you're right. It's just a side effect of the change in gaming culture. More people want to play them and the difficulty has to be adjusted. And I don't just mean going from hard to easy, I mean going from unfair to fair. I still love unfair mechanics and design in games. There's a limit of course.
Reply Quote
I've had Diablo 1 games where I've encountered a group of enemies that took 5 trips to town for potions in order to beat them. At the time the game felt impossible. D3 feels more like I'm a 1 man wrecking crew, and the demons are in my way.

They had to dumb it down because people were scared of inferno and couldnt complete it... then they made it super easy because everyone and their mothers (the people who just complain when their mocha latte extravagantios are not to their liking and want it now mommy, make the bad man stop!) ... getting side tracked here. Anyway, it was nearly impossible, and it was fun! You were genuinely scared, well atleast I was. I was running around like a 14 year old girl with a spider in her hair from the monsters and ... well Blizz listened to the whinners and nerfed it...

Play the game back from zero, naked at MP10, and I tell you it'll be fun and scary. My two cents, I tried it and loved it!
Reply Quote
all because of activision and catering to those call of duty zombies. d3 has been turned into some mindless hacking game.

12/16/2013 05:47 PMPosted by JesusV2
I dunno, D1 still creeps me out to an extent and I'm almost 30.

if d3 had dimly lit environments like back in d1 then it would be scary.

same with classic doom. the sudden appearance of monsters in hidden doors can still scare to this day.

12/29/2013 03:56 PMPosted by Thorngrin
Diablo 3 took a comedic route with covetous shen, Azmodan, and Belial.

Belial is a hilarious character with that ridiculous accent.

"oh i am belial, grade A toff! Admire my demonic shenaningans!! Oh you!!"

We are all 30 year old men now. Blizzard didn't realise that we had all aged 10 years and wouldn't be satisfied with a retarded set of characters and stupid story execution.

"Hi it's me, Azmodan again...i see you haven't defeated me yet haha!

/azmodans head vanishes

/azmodans head reappears

"Hi!! AZMODAN HERE!! Just checking how you're going"

/azmodans head vanishes

/azmodans head appears

" I don't need to my siege weapons or hordes of demons to defeat you!! Hahah worthless human i will simply squash you on my lava toilet when you approach me"

/azmodans head vanishes

Holy !@#$ ? Seriously? Did you honestly think anybody on planet earth would find this interesting or remotely intimidating in any way? Appalling story telling and appalling characters.

if anything every time I see azmodan's fat head appear I can't stop laughing. laughing at blizz's poor design though. and he has that mumbling scooby doo villain voice.
Reply Quote
I think they overly nerfed inferno.

That's speaking as someone with an elite grade CM Wiz. I only built one because people told me I should.

Now that build is getting nerfed to hell and back... what to do next? I unno.
Reply Quote
D3 isn't as scary as D2, which in turn was not as scary as D1. In D3, many of the enemies are jumbo-sized, so you're just attacking their knees (or knee-equivalent). Also, the death of enemies isn't as life-like - it's just a shower of gore and guts. D3 doesn't have the element of darkness either, and even the caves are well-lit. Asmodan and Diablo are too chatty too. In D2, Diablo's famous line was "Not even death can save you from me.", which was really chilling, while in D3 he talks your leg off. Zolton Kulle's fake evil laugh didn't help either. The music isn't scary either, although I do enjoy the two music tracks for the Cave of the Betrayer and the Vault of the Assassin. D3 is a good game, but not scary. I enjoy it in that it's a good vs. evil game. Hopefully, the expansion will bring back some of the fear.

If you really want to play a spooky game, I'd recommend D1.
Edited by Starblazer#1223 on 1/8/2014 9:21 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Human Death Knight
Despite Azmodan's cunning he makes so many speaches that the only thing scary about him is his tactics and appearance.

Yes the tactics failed him in the end yet that was because the hero had that much power so the only tactic Azmodan would have been able to beat the hero with would be a booby trap!

By the way were there any booby traps on the way to Azmodan at all? Just curious.
Reply Quote
I agree that the cartoonish style and childish storytelling is really bad in diablo 3. But that is not the only reason it isn't scary. Like in the story, if nothing is at stake, nothing is scary. The game is way too easy in normal mode. Nothing is scary if nothing can stop you. So the next time you play through on higher difficulty, you have already seen everything. There's something to be said about not knowing what's behind a door in terms of suspense. I really regret not playing through on a hardcore character the first time, but it would not make much difference.
Reply Quote
when leah gets burnt like a marshmallow i can feel darth vader influences rising exponentially
Reply Quote
D3 is not scary, and I do not feel engaged in the story at all. Diablo 2 is much more engaging and darker.

In D2, you didn't kill everything in two or three hits while progressing through the acts. The acts were longer, the maps were bigger with more open space for exploration, you felt more immersed in the world of the game. The music fit the background. You don't have Andariel yacking at you after any dungeons you go through, you have no idea what she looks like until you finally see her [b]naked with boobs chained, claws coming out of her back and freaky hairstyle. She's charging at you and instantly unleashing waves of toxic poison that drains your health so freaking fast your healing potions can only slow it down a minimal amount. All that and she says "Die, Maggot!". And what do you do? You most likely die. Then you grind, find better gear, play smarter, and actually prepare for a boss fight like you're suppose to. And when you defeat her, you feel badass now, and then that mysterious music kicks in when you get back to town.

In D3, you kill everything in just a few hits, your resources are practically unlimited. You are essentially a god and it is difficult to die, even when caught off guard. The main pet peeve I have is having constant dialogue as you are fighting and making your way through the map. Either by Leah or the bosses that you are going to end up fighting later. Also have too many cutscenes, none of which are interesting or unpredictable.

The way the emperor talked was annoying. The way his identity was revealed wasn't impressive. It would of been more interesting if he revealed himself when we least expected it, but that's difficult when you can easily tell who he is the entire act. Azmodan constantly popping up as an image telling us what is happening next is obnoxious. Same with that spider woman, always coming down chatting with us casually like we're best friends. Not scary, not creepy, just stupid. Same with act 4 with Diablo, constantly sending us corny, cheesy lines while we're in the middle of battles.

I hope the expansion gets a half decent plot and twists in it.
Reply Quote
I never really considered d2 to be "scary" per se, don't get me wrong; I LOVED d2, and can unapologetically say I poured hours of my childhood into it. It did feel like a more "dangerous" world though. Don't get me wrong; I'm not going to go on some tirade about the casualization of videogames or something; normal>hell d3 are considerably easier than normal d2 and require much less thought (e.g. you won't ruin characters with bad stat allocation), but high MP inferno is perfect for people looking to tweak build efficiency and who are looking for a challenge; so I DO like d3 as it is accessible while simeltaneously having niche features for "old school" fans.

I remembered muttering strings of expletives as a teenager and yelling at the computer screen desperately trying to kite mobs in Act 3 on D2 on my hardcore necro while being chased by hordes of those little chittering midget things. It's not a "jump scare" per se but that's tension and fear in my opinion.

Admittedly D3 is more about wading through mountains of corpses deciding which pieces of loot to pick up so you can increase your killbliteration rating by X%, which admittedly has less tension and feeling that you might not really survive the encounter if that makes any sense.

I guess what I'm saying is in D2 my mindset is; "how do I survive what comes next" and in D3 it's "how do I kill these guys more efficiently"
Reply Quote
I think it was because of the time in between the making of the Diablo games. Most people who played Diablo were at a pretty young age. That's when games are really scary. When you grow older, I kind of noticed that these games aren't so scary anymore. I think it's because you're now older. lol
Reply Quote
@Thorngrin. We're not all 30 years old now. Some of us are new to this game you know. Ask me, I'm not close to 30 years old anyways.
Reply Quote
01/16/2014 07:05 AMPosted by Larry
I guess what I'm saying is in D2 my mindset is; "how do I survive what comes next" and in D3 it's "how do I kill these guys more efficiently"

Maybe you didnt see this. UT naked...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6dpUe2wGGY

If you can do d3 infernal machine naked, please let us know.
Reply Quote
11/30/2013 05:56 AMPosted by Reflekshun
11/10/2013 07:20 PMPosted by bearr
There are three reasons why the game isn't scary.

1. In D2, the character was in the dark with only a spot light on him (in a lot of places).

2. In D2, the poor animations made the monsters walk in a creepy way (which was great for the feeling).

3. The story telling is bad in D3. What is the scariest? Going in a dark place knowing Baal is there, and when he sees you he just comes at you and kills you. Or having Asmodan explaining to you for hours how he is gonna destroy you, and when you finally meet him, he's just there in a bright room.

These are some great points, I'd like to add one more that really struck me today

4. The art style in D3 is not realistic, its fantasy and leaning slightly towards cartoony. D2 had a very heavy lean towards dark and realistic art style, and this chills my spine a heck of a lot more. Think about how difficult it is to immerse yourself in a cartoony environment and feel chills up your spine, there's a decrease in your environmental fear when you are exploring even a slightly cartoony world.

+1

I add another point. Music.
Cinematic of D2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdiQxOFpGzY
I remember the contrast between music in outer place ( http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=diablo%202%20wilderness&sm=3 ) and inside dungeon ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gJ4gF9PMlQ ).
What now?
Ambient?
Reply Quote
I have to agree your own characters power has a huge influence on the feeling of games. point and case Darksiders series no matter how amazing or bad !@# the enemies were nothing was even slightly impressive since you are in fact playing 1 of the 4 horsemen. its hard to feel fear of anything when you are untouchable.

Diablo 3 suffers from this same factor. even in act 1 you arrive to people who are powerless but you have no qualms or issue about decimating any and all resistance to you. its not even a rise to power you just blatantly carry great strength from the start, leaving little to no room for growth. the first main boss the skeleton king hold little threat to begin with. being he was already technically defeat and is being revived just for use. finally by the time you get to the butcher the first thing that would have any real opposition you've already decimated countless foes and opposition while saving Tristram, gaining allies and being unstoppable. your enemies even fear your strength in that rather than face you they lure you away to kill cain. bottom line the whole plot just makes you seem to bad $%^ to bother to feel threaten by anything. hopefully reaper of souls will actually add something worth my character time to kill, as watching her polish her nails, and talk about her dinner plans while she slaughters legion of demons gets old...
Edited by Macabre#1256 on 2/25/2014 2:32 PM PST
Reply Quote
Nothing is as scary as your imagination, and Diablo 3 leaves nothing to it.

In D2, monsters didn't phone you up to chitchat every few minutes. They were kill on sight, and you were a mortal against immortals.

In D3, your hacking down cocky cartoon villains who trash talk up to the moment of their demise. There is no suspense in fighting Diablo, Azzy, or anyone else, because you've seen their faces and interacted with them dozens of times before their fights. It's too campy and corny to take seriously.

I mean, "TERRRORRRR" is more jarring than scary. Especially when the bosses are talking up each bite-sized challenge. The writers for Diablo 3 should be asking customers if they want to supersize their fries, not crafting dialog.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]