Diablo® III

WoL knockback reduction exploit.

Everyone complains about WoL and it's knockback and I think I have come across another tactic for decreasing this effect and it's very simple. Seeing as no one seems to have said anything about it on the forums I thought I'd share.

I have high spirit regeneration and can therefore fire lots of Bells out, I think that is why I noticed this effect. But I believe this will be very usefull for Nirvana users especially and other builds that can dish out lots of bells at once or over a span of time.

Here it goes:

Do not aim WoL point blank at whatever monster/mob it is you are targeting. Instead when encountering a mob let it surround you and point away from the mass of them, not at them like everyone always does. WoL is an AOE spell, it completely surrounds the monk, even his back and sides (if you put on Blinding Light you will actually see very clearly the many circular blue auras that seem to echo or vibrate on the ground around you and on monsters, the more monsters the more echoes). So what I have noticed is that by not directing WoL in a full frontal assault on mobs there seems to be almost a % chance that only some monsters will be knocked back and the rest will simply not. I can practically prove it because Blinding Light stuns monsters when I get a critical hit, yet many of the monsters are not being knocked back at all and are instead sitting still being killed with critical hits which can clearly be seen as they are stunned and have stars above their heads. This effect happens when the blast of light is angled correctly so that the echoes or vibrations hit the monsters and not the actual blast/spear of light itself which seems to be doing most of the knockback and I'm guessing almost all Monks focus them directly at monsters instead of positioning themselves to use the sides and back side of your monk when directing WoL.

Now this is not to say that monsters will not be knocked back at all at these certain angles but I believe it highly has to do with the direction of your WoL and the position of a monster/s as well as the proximity of the "echoes" to the monsters themselves. i.e. The edges of the echoes/vibrations seem to not knockback nearly as much but still provide critical hits. And I'm talking about a much lower % chance of knock back when done correctly (thinking at least 50% based on observation alone). I believe this is why WoL is so effective on large mobs in FoM. Think of yourself as Moses parting the Red Sea. Everything directly in front of you is cleared away, yet the water (monsters) on the sides and behind are still there, some are being knocked back but not nearly as much as the monsters taking the spear of the WoL fully on.

Here's another way of looking at it. Think of a clock. When attacking a group do not hit them with anything in between 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock fo your monks body. Everything else will have a better effect in terms of knockback and still cause the same amount of damage. If you don't believe me go test it out on your own. I think this will help a lot with group play as well as solo and maybe now CoB WD's and CM wiz's won't have to complain as much!
Reply Quote
I've noticed this too in my VOTA runs. If I get a champ behind me or on top of me and I bell his friends in front of me they all die and the one on me usually stays put. Good to know!
Reply Quote
Glad to know I'm not the only one who noticed! I think that's why WD's actually like playing with me too.
Reply Quote
i see complaints in the forums but never in game, and I only level in pub games.

why is that?
Reply Quote
Hey there.

Yeh wol's knockback is always in the direction you are facing when you cast, so you aim ur direction at where there is least monsters.

The rune that actually show this the best is explosive light, where the bell sits right on top of you. The only diff of this rune and the others should be only the 7 other small waves going out, in other words the initial AoE is exactly the same area and dps.
Reply Quote
10/25/2013 06:28 PMPosted by WhiteWalker
I can practically prove it

Whether the info is true or not, this kind of statement causes lost credibility for the entire post XD
Reply Quote
thanks debbie downer. ;)
Edited by RelytReborn#1727 on 10/27/2013 1:47 PM PDT
Reply Quote
10/27/2013 04:56 AMPosted by Sinafae
Whether the info is true or not, this kind of statement causes lost credibility for the entire post XD

You're right, I even thought that when I wrote it. The problem is it's kind of hard to tell if this is 100% true because it's based on my observation alone and the outcome seems to be different ( some times monsters get knocked back sometimes they don't) but I didn't want to say with 100% certainty that this is correct and I was hoping other people would help to confirm my pretty solid theory on this. Think of it as the Big Bang Theory, we can't say with certainty that it happened but it's highly likely and their is lots of evidence to back it up.

@Dawgie Hey never played with you but I'm guessing it's because you know how to use bells properly and don't fling them at monsters like a dumb@ss when you have teammates around.
Edited by WhiteWalker#1388 on 10/27/2013 2:28 PM PDT
Reply Quote
haha, not really. I miss so much (ones that hit behind me when aiming in front) that it probably looks like I know what I'm doing.

I have noticed during leveling that complaints cease with increases to your dps, no matter what you do.
Reply Quote
10/27/2013 02:24 PMPosted by WhiteWalker
You're right, I even thought that when I wrote it. The problem is it's kind of hard to tell if this is 100% true because it's based on my observation alone and the outcome seems to be different ( some times monsters get knocked back sometimes they don't) but I didn't want to say with 100% certainty that this is correct and I was hoping other people would help to confirm my pretty solid theory on this. Think of it as the Big Bang Theory, we can't say with certainty that it happened but it's highly likely and their is lots of evidence to back it up.

Yeah, I know. I was just poking fun at ya ;)

"We live on the planet Earth, I can practically prove it!" and suddenly no one is quite sure...
Reply Quote
MVP - Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
Proof time!

Here is how WoL's knockback works mechanically.
(note -- the mechanics match WW's experiences perfectly so the gist of the OP is fundamentally correct)

When you cast WoL, the 3 hits form the "bell" do an AoE that completely envelops your monk and will hit things behind you.

The "line nuke" portion fires a rectangle path nuke that starts on top of your monk and WILL hit large-hit-box monsters that are standing behind you or to the sides if they are close enough.

Here is a helpful picture to look at where you can both appreciate my artistic talent AND learn a thing or two about WoL's effective area --
http://imgur.com/6E5fUHQ

Fig1 shows the relative areas that the two parts of the skill affect.

Fig 2 shows what will happen to monsters given their position to you.
1 will get hit by the 96% damage nuke only and knocked back
2 and 4 will get hit by the bell damage only and not be knocked back
3 and 5 will both be hit by the bell damage AND the 96% damage nuke and be knocked back

Monster 5 is a good example of when the "fire the bell away from you" strategy won't help because the line-nuke still hits behind you and monster 5 is simply too close to not get knocked back.

Fig 2 shows what WW is talking about when fighting an elite pack.
You can step to the side and back a little (to account for the monsters moving toward you) then fire off a bell to the side and you will avoid the knockback all together.

<3
Edited by Druin#1518 on 10/28/2013 11:32 AM PDT
Reply Quote
10/28/2013 11:31 AMPosted by Druin
http://imgur.com/6E5fUHQ

How did this not get submitted in KJ's MS paint challenge? You rock, Druin!

So on a more serious note, all of these are assuming that the bells are being dropped right on top of the monk. But I think that bells can be dropped within a certain radius of a monk (I'd guess 10-14 yards . and probably to the front of the monk, but not behind... although haven't tried)). So if the bell is being dropped away from the monk (like 10 yards in front), then it may not affect the monsters behind or around you.

On a side note- would you know how big the bell's AOE is? I've noticed that I can physically drop the bell right in the middle of a an elite pack, that no part of the bell would seem to touch any part of the elites, and they still get damaged by my bell (not sure if they get knocked back - I guess it wouldn't if it's not part of the straight-line damage of the bell)?
Reply Quote
MVP - Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
So on a more serious note, all of these are assuming that the bells are being dropped right on top of the monk. But I think that bells can be dropped within a certain radius of a monk (I'd guess 10-14 yards . and probably to the front of the monk, but not behind... although haven't tried)). So if the bell is being dropped away from the monk (like 10 yards in front), then it may not affect the monsters behind or around you.

This is false. Bells always drop exactly the same distance from your monk no matter where you click. Your only input is the direction. After that it follows this exact pattern 100% of the time.

On a side note- would you know how big the bell's AOE is? I've noticed that I can physically drop the bell right in the middle of a an elite pack, that no part of the bell would seem to touch any part of the elites, and they still get damaged by my bell (not sure if they get knocked back - I guess it wouldn't if it's not part of the straight-line damage of the bell)?

Here is more MS Paint to answer this question (approximately as I don't have access to testing equipment (my computer) right now) --
http://imgur.com/O4fdEtN
Edited by Druin#1518 on 10/28/2013 11:50 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Also, if my memory serves me right, mobs currently going through a knockback animation won't be knocked back.

You can use smaller knockbacks (such as with WotHF) to use this to your advantage.
Edited by Fitz#1329 on 10/28/2013 1:26 PM PDT
Reply Quote
@Druin

Thanks for the confirmation! Nice Graphic btw. That makes this a lot easier to understand for those that might not have tried it out yet.

@Nameless

I recommended in the post to use Blinding Light to see the actual area of effect much easier. You can clearly see the vibrations or blue puddle looking things radiate from the bells and onto the monsters much easier than say Empowered Wave.
Reply Quote
You can actually see the circle radius when the ew bell drops. it makes a vibration of impact around it. just like druin drew in the pic same looking circle.
Edited by RelytReborn#1727 on 10/28/2013 7:33 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]