Diablo® III

Is Skyrim worth getting into?

It might be almost time for me to take a short break from D3 until the xpac comes out and I *might* be open to trying some different games. Or at least, cutting back from the time I've been spending with this game. I am not a gamer by any means as D3 was my first foray back into PC gaming since the days of C&C & Red Alert (yes, I'm that old).

I've always been partial to RPGs, and I don't want to play anything diablo-like or diablo-lite. If I were to consider trying something else, what would you guys say about Skyrim? I know it's a little old (what... 2 years?) but I wouldn't mind picking it up used and playing it on my xbox 360 if it's worth getting.

The other consideration is that I don't plan to spend *that* much time gaming. I have young children that I want to spend most of my waking hours with, and then like to watch a little hockey if my team is playing at night. So it's not as if I have hours and hours to devote to a game. But I just want to be entertained from time to time. So what you say?
Reply Quote
I've spent far more time playing Skyrim than I have Diablo 3. It's probably not a game you want to get if you are just looking for a "change of pace" from Diablo as you can spend countless hours questing, exploring etc. in Skyrim. Skyrim is truly a game of infinite length with never ending quest lines. The gameplay itself is certainly different from Diablo, as is the leveling and skill system. Skyrim is a very fun, engrossing game, with a good story line but if you pick it up just to play for an hour or two once in a while, you definitely won't be getting the full experience.
Reply Quote
If you still have one of those 8" floppy drives, there was a game called Lemonade Stand and another called Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego. They were a lot of fun, and given your age, you might have some past experience with them...
Reply Quote
Have you ever played Oblivion? I really enjoyed it and I meant to get Skyrim but I never got around to it. I have a lot of WoW friends who picked it up and every one of them enjoyed playing it. I say "enjoyed" with past tense because I don't know anyone who still plays it. Of course, they were all pretty avid gamers so they probably grew tired of it a lot faster than you will.

That said, I think you'll really have fun with it. You could also pick up Path of Exiled for free, but that may be too Diablo-like for you.
Reply Quote
Honestly, I know nothing about Skyrim. My sister-in-law played it I think, and a couple friends, but I haven't touched it. I did play Dragon Age, and it is a good game, but it is very much not appropriate in front of the kids (which is why we haven't started playing 2 yet :\ ).
If you only have the xbox, I don't know what else to recommend, as I only have Wii and Playstations (2/3/PSP). There are a slew of good, cheap games for those, and they don't eat up a ton of time, and are playable with the kids in the room.
Reply Quote
Yes.

I played skyrim on ps3 for awhile before diablo 3 came out. I really like the game, graphics are amazing. The time flies by when you are playing that game, they did a really good job.
Reply Quote
10/30/2013 10:38 AMPosted by Sinafae
Lemonade Stand

Ha! I haven't even heard of this. Maybe this came after my time - I was kind of an early adopter of computers. Not quite the Atari 800 or Commodore 64... I started with the Apple IIs. Anyway...

10/30/2013 10:38 AMPosted by Sinafae
Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego

Now THIS I remember. Yikes. I think I was playing that in ummm... junior high or early high school? Back when games were a lot more innocent than they are now. :P

10/30/2013 10:37 AMPosted by wolfman705
Skyrim is a very fun, engrossing game, with a good story line but if you pick it up just to play for an hour or two once in a while, you definitely won't be getting the full experience.

I probably won't be playing that little. My pattern with D3 has been to play in the evenings after the kids go down (when I'm home anyway), and I'm usually playing somewhere around 1-2 hours on any given night. And if I'm loaded up on caffeine or had a good nap during the day, then possibly longer. I think on average, I probably spend somewhere close to 7-10 hours a week playing some kind of game - sometimes less, sometimes more.

And it doesn't really matter how long it'll take to "complete" the game. I'm even fine with never finishing. As long as the experience itself is fun and interesting, that's all I'd ask for.

If I end up getting it on the xbox, then at least I'd be able to play on the TV instead of holed up in our home office. It makes me more accessible and visible to my family which can be a good thing.

10/30/2013 10:57 AMPosted by Sinafae
There are a slew of good, cheap games for those, and they don't eat up a ton of time, and are playable with the kids in the room.

Yeah... that would be my requirements for a game. As it stands, I don't really like to play D3 in front of my kids too - there is some violence that they don't necessarily need to see. But something good, playable in front of kids and not eating a bunch of time are all high on my list of priorities too. Hope Skyrim would fit the bill.

10/30/2013 10:39 AMPosted by Peldin
You could also pick up Path of Exiled for free, but that may be too Diablo-like for you.

Yeah, when I was thinking of the phrase "Diablo-lite", I was thinking specifically about PoE. As far as production value goes, I don't think there's much that can beat D3. I'm excited for the x-pac and the possibilities, and I'm really not interested in playing something that is graphically inferior to D3, even if the mechanics are somewhat better. Yes, I'm all about the packaging. Sue me. :P
Edited by Nameless#1537 on 10/30/2013 12:48 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I've spent far more time playing Skyrim than I have Diablo 3. It's probably not a game you want to get if you are just looking for a "change of pace" from Diablo as you can spend countless hours questing, exploring etc. in Skyrim. Skyrim is truly a game of infinite length with never ending quest lines. The gameplay itself is certainly different from Diablo, as is the leveling and skill system. Skyrim is a very fun, engrossing game, with a good story line but if you pick it up just to play for an hour or two once in a while, you definitely won't be getting the full experience.

I do not agree with this statement. Or, at least, while I guess it is technically true, I disagree with the intent behind making it.

I pre-ordered Skyrim and was done with it before any of the expansions came out, so maybe that was the issue I had (also didn't do much with the modding community). He is correct in a sense that you can make up content to do for forever in the game if you please, just like in D3. But just like in D3, you reach a point where you can no longer progress.

I "finished" Skyrim in around 160 hours I think (I would have to check my steam account at home). By "finished" I mean I maxed every skill, had completed every major story line, had found all the dragon words, all the ancient artifacts, had bought and furbished all the houses, had over a million gold (which was pointless, but it still took a while just being able to sell all that stuff, heh). I spent a fair amount of time leveling skills I never used and wasn't specced into just to be able to say that I maxed all of them. It actually made it somewhat challenging, too (when I finally switched back to using gear I was specced into I was basically invincible).

Once I reached a point where I couldn't progress my character, I stopped playing. I could have started a second character and gone with a different play style (mage type), but I would have been doing the same exact things, simply in a different way. I decided it wasn't worth it and moved on.

It was still very entertaining for the time that I played it, I'd highly recommend it (I did play on the PC though).

I also played both Dragon Age games and enjoyed both of them, though I recall replaying DA1 more than DA2. If you enjoy those types of games though, no reason not to pick one up.

edit: HA! Facebook status update from March 4, 2012:
"(nerd alert!)
just maxed the last of my skills in skyrim, booyah!

what to do now until diablo 3 comes out ... reroll as a mage type? go back to league of legends? find a new game?

decisions, decisions ..."
Edited by Piffle#1874 on 10/30/2013 1:13 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Sid Meier's Pirates!
Edited by Vrkhyz#1472 on 10/30/2013 2:06 PM PDT
Reply Quote
@Nameless

I did start with the commodore 64. Wrote my first commercial inventory control program on it. When we got our first IBM PC it had a 10 meg hard drive and a green monochrome monitor and DOS 3.0.
The only game we had was the one where you calculated the trajectory of a banana thrown by a gorilla to blow up buildings. And there was one with snakes that got longer and longer the more you played.
Now THAT'S old!
Reply Quote
10/30/2013 02:24 PMPosted by RockShow
And there was one with snakes that got longer and longer the more you played.

CENTIPEDE! (I think)

And you win. :)

On a side note. It seems this thread has been redirected. Boooooooo. :P
Reply Quote
10/30/2013 02:37 PMPosted by Fitz
Skyrim is great. Get it on PC though.

Any particular reason that PC > Xbox? I'd rather not have to get something that would hole me up in the home office like D3 has unless there is a compelling reason to do so.
Reply Quote
If you don't mind sticking to the PC, torchlight 2?
Reply Quote
Skyrim? Awesome game. Seriously ..I spent more time playing side questlines than the main story. I'm a master assassin and master thief, no clue what is all about that dragonborn stuff, though :P
Reply Quote
View profile
Ha! I haven't even heard of this. Maybe this came after my time - I was kind of an early adopter of computers. Not quite the Atari 800 or Commodore 64... I started with the Apple IIs. Anyway...

LOL I played on the C64 and the C128 and the Amiga 2000. Guess I'm ancient... lol

I have Skyrim, but I didn't like it very much. I don't know if its because its more of a guy's game. I found it depressing. Everyone I know that has played it has LOVED it, and they are all guys. . I basically have a 60.00 coaster. I prefer Diablo and Reckoning. Skyrim to me was kind of depressing. That's just me though. I recommend lookign it up on youtube.
Reply Quote
View profile
10/30/2013 10:37 AMPosted by wolfman705

Not to even mention the mod community. If there was ever a mod community, TES has a massive one. They add new items, quests and even patch out some bugs that Bethesda misses.
Reply Quote
View profile
This game could really use a demo.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]