Diablo® III

Kiting Wiz on MP10? no but <3 freeze Meteors!

Hail to Wizdom from the SnB barb thread and Monkdom.

Any kiting wiz that defies the norm and run on MP10?
I’m talking about the legacy blizz/hydra build from back in the days
There’re only Arcane mines, Range Frost and All Arcane under kiting build in the sticky with this legacy build under other builds for low MPs

And MP10 act 1 is good enough, not talking about act4 or VotA against vortex magewrath with reflect arcane poison jail freeze lol

This is my wiz, my second char, but I only use him to help to powerlvl friends nowadays
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/QHTran-1403/hero/9735425

My goal was to make all 5 char MP10 “doable” and so far 4/5 of them are good. Some better than others and can actually “farm” MP10.
So I just want to do something for my wiz to join that group. I don’t have gold now but I just want ideas on how to get there when I do.

Any and all suggestions welcome.
Ohh and I don’t want to go freeze wiz if I can help it. Archon is cool though.

Thanks = )
Edited by QHTran#1403 on 11/4/2013 9:11 AM PST
Reply Quote
hmmm okay then ... no taker so far ...
How about the cheapest way for me to make it to MP10 Act 1 using my current gears then?

I'm open to any build now, just want to hit MP10 with this wiz
Doesn't need to be effecient or anything, just as long as it can be done without multiple deaths per elite

thanks again =)
Reply Quote
MVP - Diablo III (Wizard)
View profile
ok...i was hoping that other would bite, lol.

So, no, not really any kiting builds...enemies move too fast and hit too hard for kiting builds...esp bliz/hydra. Most builds rely on some sort of freeze, like CM (and SS). You can check out my videos below. CM is the cheapest way to get to MP10, but still costs B's to do it well (like 200+ DPS)...but archon is worse. Its takes even more B's to do it...I guess its a kiding build, kinda...but you have to burn down enemies so they hit you even less.

Sorry...on my way out of work...i don't have time to look at your gear closely...but it looks a little underwealming for anything MP10.
Reply Quote
Virtually no one uses a kiting based build anymore. The reason is that it's horribly inefficient compared to other builds. To compare, try killing things on MP10 with the standard kiting build, then compare to farming MP5 with Archon and 200k buffed dps. You get way more xp, more loot, and much higher survivability.

If you're set on farming MP10, the best builds for relatively cheap are SNS or SS, imo, at least for solo play. Your setup could work reasonably well with a SS build, though you likely want to switch to a Storm Crow for APoC, and you might want a APoC triumvirate, or an Occulus to get to about 20 APoC. SNS is arguably better, and generally accepted as more efficient at most gear levels, but SS is definitely viable on MP10. It might not be as efficient in terms of XP or legendaries per hour as lower level Archon, but if you're set on MP10 with the fewest gear changes, SS is your build.
Reply Quote
@PieHole,
OMG… beezss?
Didn’t know that Wiz cost even more then DH to gear up =’(
Aside from friends helping out and drops, I’ve invested 500mil total on all my chars and I’ve played since day 5 of release to get this far … beez will take me another year at least lol
Yeah my gear is underwhelming for MP10 = /
It’s just shared gears from other chars, mainly my WD

@Loroese,
Yeah with my current gear, MP5 is farmable with either kite or archon build
Hmm so no escaping from the freeze built if I want to MP10 doable then lol
What’s the difference between SNS (Shock Aspect, Frost Nova, Diamond Shards) and SS?
And how are your fingers/hand after playing these freeze builds?

For storm crow look for one with CC or OS I guess?
Which is better/cheaper? Occulus or Trium with APoC? How about Chantodo and Tal Rasha’s?
Can I make this happen with 50 mil and my current gear? If not then how much should I save up?

I’ll read up on freeze builds then… starting with PieHole’s guide

*edit* awesome you both have guides lol yay!
Edited by QHTran#1403 on 10/31/2013 3:07 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I think I recently geared a friend for MP 10 SNS with 60m.

2.51 BP. 60 something CC. I think it was around 125-150k dps.

Less painful if you can 'borrow' IAS/CC gear from other characters.

Other cost-saving hints: stick with Chanto set (recommend OS wand, source with int/vit and not APOC), crafted EHP/CC bracer (not Lacuni), get CC Stormcrow with 425+ LOH.

But, yeah, read the Pie Guide.
Reply Quote
Yeah the main problem with kiting builds is 1/2 the elites don't let you kite, period. So, you gotta load up on EHP out the wazoo for an MP10 kiting build and once you do, you realize you are much better off facetanking everything with SNS or SS or meteor or whatever because your EDPS is so much higher.
Reply Quote
Raining Meteor: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qdZl4nyTao . Who says you can't kite effectively in MP10. ;)
Reply Quote

@Loroese,
Yeah with my current gear, MP5 is farmable with either kite or archon build
Hmm so no escaping from the freeze built if I want to MP10 doable then lol
What’s the difference between SNS (Shock Aspect, Frost Nova, Diamond Shards) and SS?
And how are your fingers/hand after playing these freeze builds?

For storm crow look for one with CC or OS I guess?
Which is better/cheaper? Occulus or Trium with APoC? How about Chantodo and Tal Rasha’s?
Can I make this happen with 50 mil and my current gear? If not then how much should I save up?

I’ll read up on freeze builds then… starting with PieHole’s guide

*edit* awesome you both have guides lol yay!

CC SC is the way to go.

For occulus vs APoC Triumvirate, I prefer the oculus, but I have a pretty high damage one I got for pretty cheap so it gives me about the same dps vs elites as the triumvirate, but it also has vit on it, plus the teleport reduction.

SS is a lot different than SNS because it usually doesn't involve chain freezing mobs. Instead it's more based around facetanking mobs, so it usually requires higher survivability. It also runs off Life Steal instead of LoH, so some gearing strategies for it involve using a high LS Skorn, but 1h+OH works too. There should be lots of SS posts around here. They might be a little old but there's a lot of information to be found from them.

Regarding the SNS build, a lot of people just use a macro for it. I dislike doing things that are against the ToS, even if it is unlikely to result in any punishment, so I don't use a macro for my SNS build. As such, I mostly stopped playing SNS because it tends to just be too annoying to mash keys for extended periods, so I mostly focused on Archon gear. There are ways to minimize the annoyance of repeatedly hitting keys though, if you decide you'd rather go the SNS route.
Reply Quote
I'm still use kiting wiz disintegrate + arcane mines and when talk about efficient i'm not sure kill yellow pack MP10 in 1min is enough? here the build

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/9573237871#1

I also made a starter gear set of my build will giveaway to other soon it cost in 50m include gems and I use lv 100 wiz wear a starter gear kill a few e pack on mp10 on the gear test too lol.
Edited by Exia#6216 on 11/1/2013 3:32 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Ohh wow Piehole / Lorese,
Your guides are quite extensive .. my brain is about to blow! Lol but thanks for writing it … again very informative =)
So last night I went on a shopping spree and picked up 3 items
Storm crow for 100K
Chantforce for 300K
And chantwill for 1 Mil … was testing with a droped LS one before that
I also switch to the current ammy and my barb’s rare ring to go for the 2.5 BP
Before I was at 50+CC and 2.3 APS with 1000LOH, now I’m at 46.5CC with 2.54 APS with 750 LOH and +10K pdps

I don’t think I can make it to 2.73 since it’ll cost too much =(

On MP10 act1 white mobs prove to be no problem
Certain elites proves to be more difficult though, like laser that spawn right under my feet, when I’m on top and right in the middle of electric, nightmares, poisons, moltens drop my health slowly too
Also I tried to tank molten explosion and elite charging bulls… yeah those didn’t go so well lol
Ohh and died once against act 1 KW, which I think is quite good since it was only him and no other mobs around for the extra proc

Okay so going forward
Change Diamond Shard to Crystal Shell for the extra absorption
Look for better storm crow, chantforce and chantwill
I also have a 1100 1.61 OS chant … should I switch to this instead?
Switch zuni set out for Tal’s chest, ICboots and ias/cc rare ring?

My old monk’s flying dragon just sold yesterday for 34 mil ... yay rich again! =D … so I now have 50 mil to play with

@Vox,
Ohh wow those are really nice stats and for 60 mils too =)
Thanks for the tip!
I want to craft a int bracer with armor vit and ar and 6cc as well … but it might take a while

@ChangBooster,
Yeah died so much the other day … like almost 10 times to this 1 elite pack lol

@TekkZero,
Ohh that’s nice man! Raining metoer!
How much did his gear cost him though?

@Loroese,
I got a Skorn on my WD, will that work?
will it better then my current setup?

@Exia,
Very nice of you to do giveaway to new players, I enjoy doing those too =)
I played with kiting beam build as well but again I can’t do it for MP10
Never played with arcane mines though … is it squishy on MP10 with a 50 mil setup? How does it do with kiting enemies? Can you kill MP10 Gob?

thank you so much for the replies guys!
keep them coming =)
Reply Quote
@Loroese,I got a Skorn on my WD, will that work?will it better then my current setup?

Skorn is only if you're trying SS build, and even then you might prefer to use a 1h+OH if you already have good dps versions. For SNS your chanto set should work fine. If you either don't mind using a macro or don't mind the repetitive key strokes from SNS, you'll likely get much better performance out of your SNS setup than a SS build at your gear level.

As for gearing for SNS, if you want to try different breakpoints, go for it. Everyone has differing opinions on what APS, CC, etc to use for the build and some people don't mind a little less survivability than others, so most of it comes down to personal preference. I do highly recommend staying at the 2.5 APS breakpoint at least, since there is a huge difference from the breakpoint below it in terms of survivability, and crit analysis indicates noticeably fewer CM procs for the breakpoint below, from what I remember.
Reply Quote
11/01/2013 11:38 AMPosted by QHTran
Switch zuni set out for Tal’s chest, ICboots and ias/cc rare ring?

Nat's all the way. ESPECIALLY because your %CC is abysmally low right now. Do you have a CC nat ring you can borrow from another char?

I'd take tal's chest over zuni, too. Your zuni ring isn't good enough to make you want to stay zuni chest.

Try deep freeze instead of bone chill on FN.
Reply Quote
@ QHtran

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/9573237871#1

This is my build detail of this build. My build not squishy the stater set gear i made have near 500k EHP with LV0 paragon. When I deal with any mob I cast disintegrate on them to slow and call them to me then cast mirror image keep them busy clones can give u 7 sec then spam mines if ur clones gone cast it and spam mines again and again. I can kill mp 10 gob sometime u know it depend on situation if gob alone not too far from corner I take him down. If u wana test ur kiting skill and ur EHP good enough? in this build just find act 2 KW and use arcane mines take him down with no dead.
Edited by Exia#6216 on 11/2/2013 4:17 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I used to use a macro, but I've gotten the hang of going without. Its a fair bit of W&T on the kb tho. I 2nd Voxs' recommendation to use Deep Freeze over Bone Chill. You could also experiment with the 2.73 BP by borrowing your monk's trousers and getting a cheapish IAS/CC/LOH amulet with 9IAS. You'd probably have to use some vit gems in place of your topaz to make up the HP loss tho, so your dps would take a hit.
Reply Quote
I just started running a SNS wiz and haven't had a need for any macros or an ice pack for my wrist :-)

I bound slow time and storm armor to my mouse buttons and the rest to A (explosive blast) S (diamond skin) D (energy twister) and Spacebar (frost nova) keys. Energy twister is the only one I need to worry about because holding down AS and Spacebar while spamming only the D button automatically triggers the other keyboard bound skills to activate.

Can't remember where I read about this tip for the first time, but just might be a good heads up for those who aren't aware.
Reply Quote
Thanks Loroese,
I think I'll stick with SnS till I know more about these freeze builds

@vox,
what CC should I aim at getting then?
I thought 2.5 APS and 45CC in game was the entry point?

@Exia,
cool I'll throw some gears on to see if I can run your build sometime then

@ATG,
I won't use a macro as well =)
don't want to buy too much stuff but witch all the switches I'm at 2.74 right now ... but the ar, armor and HP are a bit too low for my liking
what should I aim for in stats?
I'm trying to get a chant force with vit as well

@heruzian ... hmm so you can just hold them down instead of smashing them?
gota try this
thanks =)
Reply Quote

@ATG,
but the ar, armor and HP are a bit too low for my liking
what should I aim for in stats?

For MP10? Ideally 900+ to total AR, 4k+ to armor, 50k+ to hp, and 1k+ to LoH. Elite dmg reduction helps too, making IAS Litany a good defensive pick. (I use one for Ubers but switch it to a CC/ETCC Skull Grasp for farming)

Attack speed has a funky relationship with SNS. It makes your APoC and LoH more powerful and increases CM procs, which in turn increases your freeze strength. So higher breakpoints can get by with lower CC and LoH than lower ones, but it tends to cost you dps and mitigation to reach those breakpoints. I run 2.51 for farming with 180k dps unbuffed and find MP10 to be doable but not super efficient (MP8 is my go-to). I switch to an IAS chants wand and Mempo/APoC force to get to 3.01 APS for ubers but my DPS plummets to around 100k (which is fine since I'm just there to freeze and apply damage buffs while my teammates do the deeps).
Reply Quote
Ideally 900+ to total AR, 4k+ to armor, 50k+ to hp, and 1k+ to LoH. Elite dmg reduction

Ohh man that’s a tall order which I don’t think I’ll make it … I can just picture the cost of making that lol

This is my stats so far and I don’t think there’s a whole lot more that I can do with my funding
2.74 APS
53 CC in game
47K HP
623 AR
3872 Armor
1036 LOH
164K unbuff dps
7% elite reduction

Next on my list is int Nat boots and/or a slightly better Tal’s chest but that’s about it

MP10 so far for me is doable so I’m happy
Just have to be careful of poison from tree, molten explosion, arcane center/crisscross, multiple bull charges
The freeze power of 2.73 bp is quite nice though so I guess it’s okay at the cost of mitigation

Ohh and I found Tek’s meteor guide … I think I found my a new identity for my wiz
I’m going with meteor shower because of the flashiness of it, don’t know if it’s efficient but man it’s a very good show and that’s exactly why I wanted to play wiz

<3 Meteors!! <3 <3!!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]