Diablo® III

anyone got 4+ wiz?

erased 3 toons(p15 monk, p15 dh n p5 barb) before I made the 2nd wiz few weeks ago, then made two more wiz after my 2nd wiz hit p100.

i'm gonna try to make 4+ p100 wiz for the xpac, cos imo archon wiz is the easiest n fastest way to make p100. (n its also the most fun for mp10 crypt runs, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewoJABqAVPg)
Reply Quote
I appreciate that you cited your reason behind why you feel archon is the easiest and fastest however; logically this deduction can only come from solo play. In theory archon could be seen as the slowest of the many classes because it doesn't buff the rest of the group and archon has lower multiplicitive skills.

Stop confusing the noobs, and have fun.
Reply Quote
I appreciate that you cited your reason behind why you feel archon is the easiest and fastest however; logically this deduction can only come from solo play. In theory archon could be seen as the slowest of the many classes because it doesn't buff the rest of the group and archon has lower multiplicitive skills.

Stop confusing the noobs, and have fun.

? I think most people would agree that mp10 crypt is the fastest way to make p100, n archon is probably the easiest(n also the most fun) for crypt runs imo.
Reply Quote
Apparently the logic is beyond you. I will explain again:

1. Crypt runs are boring. Fun does not equate to boring, to me.
2. You do a crypt run with a group. The other members in your group determine how fast it is.
3. You don't buff the group in archon form, so they do less dps and you are slower.

It doesn't mean that it isn't fun for some. It doesn't mean that it isn't fast, for some groups. I'm not saying that archon isn't the most faceroll class in the game right now for crypts. It is.

Different strokes for different folks bro.
Reply Quote
I has 2 p100 wizzies and have another at p96
Reply Quote
Apparently the logic is beyond you. I will explain again:

1. Crypt runs are boring. Fun does not equate to boring, to me.
2. You do a crypt run with a group. The other members in your group determine how fast it is.
3. You don't buff the group in archon form, so they do less dps and you are slower.

It doesn't mean that it isn't fun for some. It doesn't mean that it isn't fast, for some groups. I'm not saying that archon isn't the most faceroll class in the game right now for crypts. It is.

Different strokes for different folks bro.

1. hmm, crypt run is boring? then im curious, what do you do for fun in d3?
I think enough people find crypt fun since there are usually 2+ crypt channels. (n I don't think people just do it for the exp n drops)
also have you even tried crypt run with archon?

2. sure newbies can slow down the team just like any group farm. but I think most people become efficient at crypt after few runs cos its not hard. n fyi, one noob doesn't slow down the group that much, e.g. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFy6AYNV-Hs

3. hmm they do less dps? anyway, are you trying say archon is bad for group farm just cos it doesn't buff the team?
Reply Quote
Bangarang, do try and not shred this guy up, would you?
Reply Quote
Archon is the right way to run crypts. Let the other peons in your party deal with such menial tasks as prepping and buffing as they bow to the majesty of your laser beam.

Let them eat cake.
Reply Quote
Yeah, I run archon with another archon du jour for crypts, and no one has complained yet. Only one person on this forum has told me to get on my monk when I was on my wizard.
Reply Quote
MVP - Diablo III
View profile
Archon is bad for group runs if the Archon user him/herself contributes less DPS for the team's eDPS than would a fourth player that runs support skills and buffs to increase the team's eDPS. Not talking individual multipliers or anything. If a SNS wizard, Cyclone-EP monk, Cyclone-Guiding Light monk, CoB WD (or Cyclone monk + 2x CoB WD) combine for 40M eDPS and you sub out a Guiding Light monk for a 500K DPS Archon and drops the eDPS, I'd take out that Archon. Same with a WW barb and RF DH, characters that don't really help a team besides adding DPS. Such DPS has to be insanely high in order to make up for the replaced buffs from another character.

But when your team starts running so fast that the Archon can AFK behind a party and reach 7-10 minutes on the duration on MP10, it really makes no difference. But if a team needs DPS, that Archon better provide more DPS than a buffed up team.
Twitter: @Jaetch
Reply Quote
Archon is bad for group runs if the Archon user him/herself contributes less DPS for the team's eDPS than would a fourth player that runs support skills and buffs to increase the team's eDPS. Not talking individual multipliers or anything. If a SNS wizard, Cyclone-EP monk, Cyclone-Guiding Light monk, CoB WD (or Cyclone monk + 2x CoB WD) combine for 40M eDPS and you sub out a Guiding Light monk for a 500K DPS Archon and drops the eDPS, I'd take out that Archon. Same with a WW barb and RF DH, characters that don't really help a team besides adding DPS. Such DPS has to be insanely high in order to make up for the replaced buffs from another character.

But when your team starts running so fast that the Archon can AFK behind a party and reach 7-10 minutes on the duration on MP10, it really makes no difference. But if a team needs DPS, that Archon better provide more DPS than a buffed up team.

How much DPS (buffed) are we talking about? I really want to roll an Archon wizard for my next one, and want to make sure I can display enough DPS to be welcomed in Crypt runs.
Reply Quote
If you've got a monk, wd, and an SNS wizard, you really only need the 4th party member to provide as much AoE deeps as possible. And high-end archon is probably on par with ww barb for that purpose.
Reply Quote
MVP - Diablo III
View profile
How much DPS (buffed) are we talking about? I really want to roll an Archon wizard for my next one, and want to make sure I can display enough DPS to be welcomed in Crypt runs.

I'd like to say between 500-600K DPS buffed on MP10. I've done it with 400K before and honestly, that's slow enough for solo and if you're running a decent coordinated team, you're kinda just... there. DPS is better than no DPS, but still, as an Archon, you're just there for DPS. You want to pump as much DPS as possible in as little time as possible.

If you just want to "display" sheet DPS, that's not difficult to do. Just go to a spot in any Act with an easily accessible shrine. Reload until you get a Frenzied Shrine, pop Deep Freeze on a bunch of mobs, and make sure you have a Scoundrel with Anatomy by your side. Ta-da. You can't pull that stunt on experienced players, though.
Reply Quote
I disagree with that mark Jaetch. I wouldn't mind having a 400k DPS archon in a crypt party.

The requirements for "doing MP10" in archon are disproportionately high just because archons need to kill everything so fast to even be functional.

I don't think too many people would disapprove of a 250k DPS SNS wizard, or a 250k DPS barb doing an MP10 crypt run, so why exclude a 400k archon? All things considered, their damage outputs are going to be very similar, especially when you take into account the archon wizard's range.

Archon wizards aren't weak in damage output, the challenge is just staying in archon, and in a good party that's not really an issue, especially in decaying crypts.

Of course, it depends on the type of people you're playing with and what you're trying to accomplish. If you're in a gg party shooting for 300m+ xp/hr then everyone is really going to have to bring the pain.
Edited by silverfire#1855 on 11/1/2013 12:12 PM PDT
Reply Quote
MVP - Diablo III
View profile
@silver - I would disapprove of a barb, but not the SNS wizard just because of the freeze and free Cold Blooded :P

Anyway, my point is taking the pick between an Archon and a character that can dish out decent DPS and provide buffs for the entire team. If I had to pick the Archon, that Archon better be able to provide more to the team's eDPS than after all the buffs from the other candidate.

400K DPS is fine, I never said it's terrible and not allowed. It's more like if you didn't have that 400K DPS Archon, the party wouldn't miss him over a standard, say ZDPS monk. On the other hand, if you had a 700K DPS Archon suddenly disappear from a party, that's a noticeable drop in the team's eDPS unless a similarly well-geared DPS character jumps in.

This is just speaking from experience running with a team of multiple Archons, myself as an Archon, myself as a support monk with an Archon teammate, amongst other combinations of classes running different builds and stats on gear. Also, this is while running with the mentality that we want to get as much EXP as fast as possible—beyond casual play, but without any intent to break EXP/hour records.

P.S. Void, if you see this... holy crap, this just reminded me of that time when you, me and Peter all ran our 650-700K+ DPS Archons.
Edited by Jaetch#1861 on 11/1/2013 12:30 PM PDT
Reply Quote
11/01/2013 11:30 AMPosted by Melkor
Bangarang, do try and not shred this guy up, would you?
Rufio!!

Joking aside, I stand by what I said before. Archon wizards bother me. They float behind pressing there single attack and I can see where their mouse is pointing which makes me want to play the game for them. Undoubtedbly I always get frustrated watching a Archon Wizard struggle pointing the laser at 1 or 2 mobs when a line of 10-15 mobs is 15 degrees off. It always happens and makes me want to reach through the screen.

I secretly want to float around with every character I play but it's not worth it to run that skill.
Reply Quote
For crypts, I actually really prefer a decent dps archon to most other wizard builds since the bulk of it is shooting things in narrow tunnels, which archon just dominates at.

Probably heresy, but my least favorite build to usually join a game (any, not just crypts) is an SNS wizard. Rarely is the freeze really that needed, they often tend to be lower dps, and they can honestly mess up a few high dps classes pretty badly with poor freezing.

(I'm ignoring echoing fury barbs and bell monks because they should really be playing solo.)

If you've got the dps, though, it probably doesn't matter much what build you run in crypts.
Reply Quote
This is just speaking from experience running with a team of multiple Archons, myself as an Archon, myself as a support monk with an Archon teammate, amongst other combinations of classes running different builds and stats on gear. Also, this is while running with the mentality that we want to get as much EXP as fast as possible—beyond casual play, but without any intent to break EXP/hour records.

P.S. Void, if you see this... holy crap, this just reminded me of that time when you, me and Peter all ran our 650-700K+ DPS Archons.

At your guys' level, the gear requirements for any party member would be pretty steep. But yes, if you're giving up a support role for a DPS role, it's usually not worth it. The same would go for any non-support spec for any class.

11/01/2013 01:32 PMPosted by GunnersDream
For crypts, I actually really prefer a decent dps archon to most other wizard builds since the bulk of it is shooting things in narrow tunnels, which archon just dominates at.

Crypts might as well be tailor-fit for archon wizards. If you're a CoB witch doctor with an SNS wizard in your party, you're gonna have a bad time, unless there's also a CS monk.
Reply Quote
MVP - Diablo III
View profile
@Bang - Sorry, you're probably playing with poopie Archon wizards then. The smart ones make sure they're always burning down the biggest clusters of trash in order to quickly add more seconds to Archon's duration. Smart ones also "tap" mobs to aggro groups further away from the party (then proceed to herd and burn). The only times single targets should be temporarily prioritized would be against mobs that are more hazardous or annoying, e.g. trees, Savage Beasts/other control impairing mobs, kiters.

Edit: just to add... For people who commute lengthy distances, you're probably familiar with the term "Highway Hypnosis." That's when you kinda doze off, but you're still driving properly. 10-15 minutes pass and you're suddenly awake and wonder, "whoa, I'm at exit 53 already?"

I'd like to coin a term called "Laser Lethargy," which usually happens to Archon wizards that get too entranced or anesthetized with the constant beaming that they forget what they're supposed to be doing.
Edited by Jaetch#1861 on 11/1/2013 1:45 PM PDT
Reply Quote
11/01/2013 01:39 PMPosted by Jaetch
I'd like to coin a term called "Laser Lethargy," which usually happens to Archon wizards that get too entranced or anesthetized with the constant beaming that they forget what they're supposed to be doing.

This sounds sooooo Boring.. OMG
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]