Diablo® III

Which ring would you equip...?

I’d appreciate an opinion regarding the following scenario.
Which combo is better for strait SNS build?

Zuni ring without CC gives:
DPS 259k
EHP 451k
CC 51%
TDR 88.8%
Life 50k

OR

Zuni ring with +6 CC (and lower Int and no Vit) gives:
DPS 270k
EHP 409k
CC 57%
TDR 88.7%
Life 46k

Is the extra CC going to make up for the loss in Life/EHP/TDR?
Which would you choose?

*Values from d3up.com
Reply Quote
6% crit chance is really significant both for effective DPS and freeze strength. It's a no-brainer for me.
Reply Quote
Thanks, for the price i'd expect there to be some difference, hopefully tangible :)
I'm just a bit worried about an "upgrade" that downgrades my overall mitigation.
Reply Quote
that crit chance is too much of a difference to ignore. And I always prefer mit over dps...but in this case the dps is gained through functionality and therefore I'm cool wit it. Go for the crit ring.
Reply Quote
Melkor, thanks for looking and helping me choose the lesser evil/greater good. It is that additional functionality that i'm hoping will make up the difference. I'm gonna try it out.
Reply Quote
11/01/2013 11:26 AMPosted by mvhrad
Melkor, thanks for looking and helping me choose the lesser evil/greater good. It is that additional functionality that i'm hoping will make up the difference. I'm gonna try it out.

no prob.

I am quite confident that you moving up 6% crit will provide a noticeable difference. easily.
Reply Quote
Tripoxes are also pretty much BIS for archon in case you ever want to play it in the future, and a pretty solid choice for witch doctors as well. Not quite the go-to choice for an SNS, but very versatile.
Reply Quote
11/01/2013 11:32 AMPosted by silverfire
Not quite the go-to choice for an SNS, but very versatile.

-_-
Reply Quote
11/01/2013 11:32 AMPosted by silverfire

Fully agree, in retrospect i missed the Nat's set combo a while back and just can't bring myself to give up the Zuni boots.

I do plan on experimenting with other builds, maybe one that could take advantave of my barb's EF or LS axe.
Edited by mvhrad#1345 on 11/1/2013 11:42 AM PDT
Reply Quote

-_-

I use an 8/5.5 myself, because I have it from my archon gear, and because it works. If I were starting SNS gear from scratch, I'm not sure I would, because making the most out of it can be tricky.

You should try on some zuni boots and do the 3-piece to make your character really silly...nearly 1200 AR and a bunch of deeps :O

Edit: mvhrad, that's exactly the thing, when you have the zuni boots and ring, the deeps is just way too tantalizing to give up...best to never even try them on so you never get sucked into the temptation in the first place. :p

Now I end up doing goofy things like gear swapping between zuni boots and nats boots depending on what I'm doing :S
Edited by silverfire#1855 on 11/1/2013 11:47 AM PDT
Reply Quote
11/01/2013 11:40 AMPosted by mvhrad

Fully agree, in retrospect i missed the Nat's set combo a while back and just can't bring myself to give up the Zuni boots.

I do plan on experimenting with other builds, maybe one that could take advantave of my barb's EF or LS axe.

I use an 8/5.5 myself, because I have it from my archon gear, and because it works. If I were starting SNS gear from scratch, I'm not sure I would, because making the most out of it can be tricky.

You should try on some zuni boots and do the 3-piece to make your character really silly...nearly 1200 AR and a bunch of deeps :O

You guys are cray cray. I mean, I get it, to each their own and all that fun jazz, but...what?

Silverfire, I know you are half kidding but no, I would never break up my nats combo to pick up another 70 AR (with the int)...

and mvhard, you make it seem like you can't have both bonuses. Granted, I'm at 2.5...but I wouldn't build an SNS wizard any other way. Remember, I don't have IAS on my ammy or bracers...so I could be at 2.73 with ias rolls there and STILL have both zuni/nats bonuses.

Homeboys be trippin.
Reply Quote
Tinkering and tweaking (builds, gear, etc) is atleast half the fun!
Reply Quote
11/01/2013 11:49 AMPosted by Melkor
Silverfire, I know you are half kidding but no, I would never break up my nats combo to pick up another 70 AR (with the int)...

I'm maybe 35% kidding :)

I don't view characters as static anymore. There's not a single setup that rules the roost in every situation and you have to keep an open mind. That's also partly because I have too many pieces for every int slot kicking in my stash...

There are going to be cases (like something like crypts) where zunis would almost certainly out-damage nats for you. There are others where it'd probably hurt your crit chance too much to help.

But in those cases it's likely that 2.73 would do better than 2.51 as well. :)
Edited by silverfire#1855 on 11/1/2013 12:03 PM PDT
Reply Quote
11/01/2013 11:49 AMPosted by Melkor
you make it seem like you can't have both bonuses.

Hmmmm....now i'll have to do some research and see what combos i can whip up from both sets to get both bonuses going. Sounds like fun!
Reply Quote
FWIW, I've got both setups, and they look like this:

http://d3up.com/b/1181700/2-73-tals
http://d3up.com/b/1181686/2-73-zuni-chest

The cliff's notes are, zuni gives me 10k more hp, 10k less DPS...but zuni does look yummy on paper. I'll try it tonight if I have time. I'm expecting it to feel like a barb.

Thing is though, if I had a ar+double vit tal's instead of ar+armor, it'd win in every way.
Reply Quote
Silver, this has me thinking about 10 things at once, can't wait to get off work and do some modeling. I'm pretty sure i've got a zuni marrow in my stash that was just good enough from a drop to not send to the auction block, maybe i'll try moving over the yellow gems and see how i do with the 3-piece zuni set below the 2.73 (or what ever it is) BP. much food for thought,
Thanks to everyone for the stimulating discussion, this forum is great (almost at good at the barb's, haha). It's fun to go back and forth (and see some of you in both).
Reply Quote
Yeah I'm having too much fun with this myself too lol

If I throw nat's out the window, it looks like this:
http://d3up.com/b/1181715

If I go 3 pc zuni it looks like this: (silly for EHP)
http://d3up.com/b/1181686
Reply Quote
Silver, interesting indeed. The 'no nats' setup looks nicely balanced. 3 pc zuni is a major tank. Might be good as a support character in a team with very high damage dealers, assuming the lower attack speed would still allow reliable freeze and adequate LoH. Would be fun to test.
Reply Quote
I used to run 3 piece zuni for uber carries along with an IAS chants for 2.73 awhile ago.

But I prefer the highest levels of attack speed and crit chance for that now.

In a party you really want to be running bone chill to buff everyone else, and not have to rely on cold snap or deep freeze, and IMHO that means 2.73 and well upwards of 55% crit chance. (Ideally 60%+)

"No nats" is basically what I typically run except for realm of turmoil and act 3 keywarden for which I go up to 3 aps.

My gear is still all over the place because I don't want to commit to any route...oh well.
Edited by silverfire#1855 on 11/1/2013 1:48 PM PDT
Reply Quote
The problem I've got with both the Zuni and the Nat path is that you are just restricting yourself so much on rings.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]