Diablo® III

Is Spectral Blades Viable?

I have pretty abysmal gear on my wizard as I just started playing again not too long ago. I was trying out Spectral blade with the healing blades rune though and it seems really strong if you have decent mitigation.

I was running on MP4 with just the lifesteal from healing blades and the 1.5% from the blood rune on magic weapon. I was able to pretty easily tank even elite packs without much trouble, just popping frost nova if my health dropped low. I was using arcane dynamo since I use the signature spell alot along with blizzard with the freezing rune for more frozen enemies to give me free lifesteal.

I was thinking that if this worked on MP4 with terrible gear that surely I could make this work on MP8-10 with triple the damage being dealt (my DPS is like 80k), more mitigation and health, and lifesteal on my weapon as well. Not to mention with the greater damage I could drop one of my buffing abilities for hydra for more sustained DPS.

Just wondering if anyone has this build or has tried it and failed miserably lol.
Reply Quote
MVP - Diablo III
View profile
Hmm, try this build: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#WdkQSO!deW!YcbcZY

Viable. Fun, yes. Efficient, not so much the higher MP you go. So start low and work your way up.

Plays like this: http://youtu.be/2Rz3eFycavk

At lower APS you can substitute Wave of Force for Arcane Mines, Calamity for another other Teleport rune.
Twitter: @Jaetch
Reply Quote
Is Spectral Blades Viable?

Yes but the DPS multiplier on spec blades builds is usually pretty abyssmal. And you gotta build pretty tanky because you can't depend on DS and FN being ready every second or 2 because blades procs CM quite poorly.

It makes a nice side show for meteor or blizzard. I like to pair impactful blades with liquefy and I can run it on MP10 if I want but effiiciency for me kinda sputters out at MP9.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#WQPXYf!geW!ZZccYZ

My meat/blades build.
Reply Quote
I haven't figured out any situations where I really wanted to use SB.

Maybe because I found the skill sort of underwhelming visually.
Reply Quote
It can be a very good build but you need the good gear for it on the higher mp's
Reply Quote
going melee build like spectralblades , you'd get a hard time going on against mobs with knockbacks

so most of the time you'd rely on frost nova to get a good hit against them. Ice armor's also a good choice of combination.
Reply Quote
I have pretty abysmal gear on my wizard as I just started playing again not too long ago. I was trying out Spectral blade with the healing blades rune though and it seems really strong if you have decent mitigation.

I was running on MP4 with just the lifesteal from healing blades and the 1.5% from the blood rune on magic weapon. I was able to pretty easily tank even elite packs without much trouble, just popping frost nova if my health dropped low. I was using arcane dynamo since I use the signature spell alot along with blizzard with the freezing rune for more frozen enemies to give me free lifesteal.

I was thinking that if this worked on MP4 with terrible gear that surely I could make this work on MP8-10 with triple the damage being dealt (my DPS is like 80k), more mitigation and health, and lifesteal on my weapon as well. Not to mention with the greater damage I could drop one of my buffing abilities for hydra for more sustained DPS.

Just wondering if anyone has this build or has tried it and failed miserably lol.

Check my Wizard's build out if you want efficiency and the capacity to stand your ground. It needs a balance of EHP and DPS to pull off, but it gets the job done and still maintains my love up slicing enemies into ribbons. My DPS was 204k until I switched my pants, which reduced it to 188k, but it was necessary to increase my EHP by 50k. I can do mp7/8 with none or minimal trouble with the gear I have, but some of the items like the wand and the orb can do mp10 when I get there.

The setup is simple:
Buff yourself with Energy Armor and Magic Weapon. The Energy Armor adds more armor AND resistances so that's why I use it. Then if an enemy pack attacks you, slap down Blizzard and start slowing them down, plus they take 20% more damage thanks to Cold Blooded. Then, hack away with Spectral Blade under the cover of Blizzard. I use Blizzard because of the Occulus giving it 9 seconds. Frost Nova and Diamond Skin are for emergencies and can be used quite often thanks to Critical Mass. Blur is to add 20% EHP vs melee attacks, but this can be changed around (not many options considering this isn't a hungry AP build and I dont use any elements outside of Cold).

going melee build like spectralblades , you'd get a hard time going on against mobs with knockbacks

so most of the time you'd rely on frost nova to get a good hit against them. Ice armor's also a good choice of combination.

Knockback is a generic problem for any melee person. I run into them, so I just freeze them before they deal it. Ice Armor is also a nice substitute for Energy Armor once you are struck 3 times by melee.

@Chang:
I got some peeves with that build. Off the bat, 1 second of Slow isn't going to be of much help when you are standing your ground, the best it would do is keep range AI from moving around so much. The 5% life steal or even the 20 yard throw is more useful than this. Second, if I wanted to apply another 10% more damage from all attacks, there is a rune on Slow Time for that and that DOUBLES it, plus you could free up the passive slot for something else. Your other choices seem fine.

Also, Spectral Blades procs better as more enemies attack you, as you can initialize more hits with more enemies. Usually in a 1on1 situation, you don't have to worry as long as you are constantly doing damage, but I dont run into serious FN/DS problems as long as you alternate. What I mean is you don't use DS when he isn't frozen and you should try to freeze when your Diamond Skin shatters. But then again, I got Blizzard to assist me in damage dealing while I cut up my foes into ribbons.
Edited by ChrisH36#1805 on 11/3/2013 1:39 PM PST
Reply Quote
11/03/2013 01:19 PMPosted by ChrisH36
1 second of Slow isn't going to be of much help when you are standing your ground,

That's the whole point. All my meteors connect with goblins, firemages, everybody--thanks to impactful. 80% slow is a lot more potent than 60%.

11/03/2013 01:19 PMPosted by ChrisH36
The 5% life steal or even the 20 yard throw is more useful than this.

Well, I didn't post gearing for the build but you use a weapon with LS so you don't need HB. Thrown bade has a lower proc coefficient and only a slightly larger AOE. Worst rune, hands down.

It's meant to be playable with 20 APoC, any APS (doesn't matter).

Here's a vid on MP9...it's not the fastest build with the highest multiplier but survivability is very good and like I said, 80% slow ensures that meats don't miss even the most skiddish mobs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGKFDeeHCz0

http://d3up.com/b/982404/highbeams

Stats in the vid are significantly lower than these however.

You certainly could throw slow time in there for teleport, ice armor, whatevs.
Reply Quote
I see your point then. If it helps you at least eliminate Goblins, then it's no problem. But with Goblins, I just aim a blizzard ahead of them and slice them up with Spectral. 12 ms (or 24 if I get my Innas pants out) allows me to still keep up with them when slowed.

Slowing down the skiddish enemies CAN be helpful, but I have Blizzard so that's why I never really had to rely on that degree of slow. Plus it reaches 22 yards and 9 seconds of movespeed cut and constant damage still allows me to keep up with most mobs, except if they are like caffeine induced mobs (especially things like range attackers or spiders with the Fast Affix). But then again, we factor our issues differently: I am more into tanking and standing my ground as you are more into mobility (since your best attacking spell IS mobile based and you got measures to escape) and making sure the enemy has theirs eliminated.

And after seeing your video, I can see the potential of this setup. You are also doing approximately the same damage as myself, so my numbers would approximately be the same had I done it. I would have gone Meteor anyways had it not been for my +3 Seconds on Blizzard when I was constructing this build.

And I probably wouldn't mod the build either. Teleport does help setup freezing and you can escape Jailer or Frozen if things get dicey. Slow Time would just be for stacking another 20% dmg or gaining 10% ias which is considerable if you play with others.
Edited by ChrisH36#1805 on 11/3/2013 3:00 PM PST
Reply Quote
lol the gear that I gave to u I made for disintegrate+arcane mines did u test that skill build? I didn't test that gear on other build so don't mind if it not work on other build. I have a friend run with healing blade+meteor shower+explosion blast+frost nova he do mp10 fine but his gear I don't know how many billion maybe 10B he spent on that lol he gear like HC player with around 200k dps and maybe 1.5m EHP. Anyway if u practice on disintegrate+arcane mines build that I told u can do mp8 comfortable with that gear MP10 can do with that gear too but still slow need to upgrade.
Reply Quote
This post was made before I recieved that gear, thank you again exia! =)

@ChrisH36: That is the exact build I was using except that instead of diamond skin I was using familiar - sparkflint because my DPS isn't as high as yours.

It's fun and very survivable but yeah it's definitely slower killing than other builds. Oh I also tried out arcane dynamo since I use my signature spell so much, made for very strong blizzards.
Reply Quote
Oh sorry then IDK post was made before recieved gear.

I test some killing speed of 5 builds on mp8 yellow elite these build use same gear but different skill set up the resault is below
1st 347kDPS archon kill E in 25 sec
2nd 274kDPS arcane mines spam kill E in 30 sec
3rd 304kDPS spectral blade+blizzard+coldblood+dynamo+sparkflint kill e in 40 sec
4th 274kDPS steel of storm+blizzard kill E in 25-30 sec
5th 274kDPS arcane mines spam+blizzard kill E in 25 sec
I didn't test some build in MP10 like my archon damage not high enough and time out from archon first lol and spectral blade I might die first before get the time record lol
In MP10 274DPS arcane mines spam kill E around 60 sec,steel of storm+blizzard kill E in 50-60 sec and 274kDPS arcane mines spam+blizzard kill E in 45 sec
Edited by Exia#6216 on 11/4/2013 9:08 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]