Diablo® III

Increase difficulty for a new playtrough from lvl 0

When creating up a new character it would be nice to have a great challenge since start;
Actually normal difficulty at monster power 10 is a joke.
I want to feel my champ grow up since lvl 0, feeling the story, reading all lore books, listening to all dialogues and having a great challenge too.
Reply Quote
Try no AH MP 10, its a lot more challenging.
Reply Quote
If you don't twink your char with any gear from the AH or your level 60 chars, its, if not face melting, at least a bit of a challenge, especially on the higher MP levels.

That being said, normal through hell is designed to be a learning environment so you can get a feel for your character and the new spells and runes you unlock.
Reply Quote
Community Manager
When creating up a new character it would be nice to have a great challenge since start;
I want to feel my champ grow up since lvl 0, feeling the story, reading all lore books, listening to all dialogues and having a great challenge too.

I'm happy to pass along your feedback, but I'd like to ask a few questions before I do. What about starting fresh at Monster Power 10 is too easy? Do the monsters die to fast? Do they not hit hard enough? Should the elites have more abilities?
Reply Quote
MVP - Diablo III
View profile

I'm happy to pass along your feedback, but I'd like to ask a few questions before I do. What about starting fresh at Monster Power 10 is too easy? Do the monsters die to fast? Do they not hit hard enough? Should the elites have more abilities?

A little bit of a mix between monsters dying too fast and not hitting hard enough in Normal MP10 with a fresh character (just the starting weapon; no gear). Compare this to Hard mode on console when you first start out. It's still fresh in my mind the fear/frustration I felt kiting around the converted zombies in the Slaughtered Calf Inn right in the beginning. That was a challenge. Found my first elite pack, and geez, what a long 10-minute ride, but worth the effort (kinda, minus the fact that the loot/EXP difference isn't there compared to Medium :P, but that's another topic).
Twitter: @Jaetch
Reply Quote

Everything what you stated.

Take a look: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v341/insane-wayne/Cosmo/CursedGloam_ID.jpg

This is what we need. Hardcore dark competitive game. Not easy colorful casual one.
Reply Quote
11/01/2013 02:10 PMPosted by Grimiku
What about starting fresh at Monster Power 10 is too easy? Do the monsters die to fast? Do they not hit hard enough? Should the elites have more abilities?

It's hard enough.
I dunno about nightmare, but normal is good at mp10, in softcore hehe.

One thing that is a bother is that there is no fine loots to be had at lower levels. Perhaps the plans were thought to be that, but they're so rarely found. Then there is leorics ofcourse.
People just speed ahead, there's no reason to do anything else.
And it's boring. Instead of gems and -level req loot, just let players create a 60 if they already have one?
Barring that, give a buff to selffound when leveling? Say for plans and other goodies?
Then you'd have the choice of either speeding ahead or you could slowly progress the levels with increased chances of interesting drops from those levels.
Reply Quote
Honestly, I do not understand the OP. He doesn't have a level 60 toon (perhaps he deleted them), and he doesn't have a hellfire ring. In my experience, it is the hellfire ring that makes Normal a cake walk - and I hope it stays that way. If I wanted challenge, I'd take it off while leveling.

Without the ring, MP10 Normal takes absolutely forever unless you're CONSTANTLY on AH. Believe me, it won't be this easy once you get to Inferno - buying MP10 gear at that level is not cheap.
Reply Quote
MP10 in normal is challenging if you are not using twinked gear. I have to say that the development focus really needs to be on the endgame. Just because people choose to outgear normal, nightmare, and hell does not mean that resources need to be wasted to improve their experience, which they are intentionally breaking.
Reply Quote

I'd throw my two cents in here. I agree, normal mode on MP10 is not very challenging. I even leveled a hardcore character on MP10 normal all the way through on self-found with little trouble (on a class I suck at no less).

I definitely think elites should have more abilities. It's ridiculously easy fighting a monster with a single special attack but the trash mobs are also really easy to deal with. Mostly I think their health pools are far too low but their damage could use a small boost too. If I crafted a decent weapon at my own level, even MP10 monsters died like the plague was after them.
Reply Quote
My experience with MP10 from a fresh start, meaning they receive absolutely no help from other characters and are completely self-found, is that I'll start to grossly out-level monsters due to the high experience boost. It begins to trivialize MP10 and the only way to keep up is to skip forward before I completely stomp things.

If this problem were addressed, then the difficulty becomes actually finding gear at that level. Currently, there's no good way to get gear as you're leveling. This is actually the main reason I'm looking forward to loot 2.0.
Reply Quote
What if one normal mp10 got you to 60?
With monsters scaling at a reasonable pace for the experience you gained?

I think I'll have to detract my previous statement, it isn't very hard.
Was thinking of playing a succesful hc character to lvl 6 and it was great xD
But I think it's true, the experience start racking up so fast you'll outlevel the mobs.
Reply Quote
11/01/2013 02:40 PMPosted by YoMicky
is that I'll start to grossly out-level monsters due to the high experience boost.

Big problem along with availability of -lvl req items and high level gems.
Reply Quote
I actually think Normal is fine....its suppose to be an introduction to the game the problem is once you have 1k hours under your belt you can't skip this introduction....theres far to many difficulty levels to go through.
Reply Quote
Should the elites have more abilities?

That's actually the biggest disappointment about normal difficulty when making a new char: elites have only one affix. I can take a new char from zero and ace normal without dying on MP10 the whole way (assuming no disconnects on HC). The biggest part of that is that elites are so easy with only one affix and many affixes don't spawn at all until later levels. At least that much should be made harder and more similar to latter difficulties. Otherwise it'll be such a drag leveling up a crusader until you reach nightmare or hell. There's no point in doing anything on normal except bee-lining straight to boss fights b/c you out-level monsters so fast. It honestly ruins a whole play-through. I can understand low MP levels being easy for the sake of noobs, but MP10 should actually be hard, even on normal.
Edited by Nymphios#1678 on 11/1/2013 3:03 PM PDT
Reply Quote
11/01/2013 03:01 PMPosted by Nymphios
MP10 should actually be hard, even on normal.

Amen.
I'm sort of "stuck" at 30ish with my wizard and wd. Just can't handle the bore.
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
View profile
I find that MP 7-10 is about what D2 was. I died so many times in the Den of Evil until I made myself go level up first. That said, I do find MP10 to be challenging without twink gear and gems. For a brand new beginner the current system works well. For those who are on the second, third, seventh chars... it might not be challenging enough.

I guess it just depends on the goals of the designers. Do they want to focus on end game where the real challenge is Inferno and finding gear? If so then I see why an easier leveling process might help get players there faster. Is it instead about the journey? I don't think the current game is designed that way, but if it was then making things harder early on, along with real quest rewards, would make sense.
Reply Quote
if youre using AH gear and RS ruby or similar high level ruby in weps...anything will be easy
Reply Quote
Normal has always been waaaaaay too easy, specially the bosses.

Back when the game was launched, I remember my sister saying "that's it?" after we beated each of them, and finding them pretty boring overall, pretty bad considering that she is ultra casual and we didn't even use the AH at the time. Boss fights should always feel epic, it's kinda sad being teased the whole act by this powerful lord of hell just to reach his lair and kill him in 20 secs, it leaves a bad impression, and the feeling of a "lame" fight.

I don't think they should rebalance MPs for normal, but the base difficult itself. Maybe if they increase the difficulty a bit, give the bosses more health and implement some of the new boss mechanics from the ps3 version (I remember reading something like that, but I'm not sure if it's just a better AI or new powers) it should be fine. Maybe Belial would be fine with just the extra health, since he clearly is harder than the rest.
Reply Quote
I am seeing people playing with level 35s on normal. That is not how the game is designed. The monsters have levels and you should be making storyline progress and attempting to fight monsters that are near your level.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]