Diablo® III

Another meteor topic ...

Well I have been pushed into trying a meteor build again by a good friend of mines, had not tested it for a long time and ... After fooling around with the shower rune, I tried star pact and I must admit it's doing excellent, spamming really good even VS a single target. Just to share, did not test deeply to compare to liquefy but I "feel" it being better to play. My 2 cents ... : )

P.S. running 30 APOC, -3 on meteor and 62,5% CC. ;p
Edited by Gelador#2933 on 11/1/2013 8:12 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Depends what you're doing. Star Pact's major pitfall is substantially less damage. In fact, it's by far the weakest rune on damage. For single-target Star Pact tends to perform the most reliable as far as spamming on its own (like in Raining Meteor), but Liquefy is more spammable than Star Pact for 2+ targets and 30APoC/60+%cc (and you're not 1-2 shotting everything). Star Pact is pretty niche for being the most spammable on single target, if you're not using other spells that provides free procs and AP (i.e. Frost Nova, Diamond Shards, Prism/Unleashed combo, etc).
Edited by TekkZero#1963 on 11/1/2013 8:45 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I find it more versatile and I am not sure it's so much less deps given the difference in cost : 42% (50 / 35 *100) more star pact met's compared to compared to liquefy ... : )

P.S. I am too lazy to do the maths for the liquefy rune, but I am sure u'll do it ! ; )
Edited by Gelador#2933 on 11/1/2013 8:54 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I find it more versatile and I am not sure it's so much less deps given the difference in cost : 42% (50 / 35 *100)more star pact compared to compared to liquefy ... : )
But if you're properly using Liquefy, you shouldn't be missing casts. ;) Keep in mind, you're typically getting twice the procs, which means at 30APOC/60%cc you're making up the difference in AP. That's why Liquefy can be so potent with spamming.
Reply Quote
All right I'll try it again then ; )
Reply Quote
P.S. I am too lazy to do the maths for the liquefy rune, but I am sure u'll do it ! ; )
Hahaha, way ahead of you. Why do you think I like Liquefy. :p

There are advantages to Star Pact, such as when you're want a snare with Temporal Flux and you're killing enemies too fast for Liquefy's DoT to matter. But if you're killing so fast, then I'd advocate Shower or Molten, since you're working under different Ap regeneration rules. Mechanics like Power Hungry become much more useful for feeding Meteors when you're 1-2 shotting things (since the APoC mechanism becomes weaker).

If you're really set on using Star Pact, I recommend pairing it with Arcane Torrent (Disruption). You get a superior single-target spam with Arcane Torrent, it can buff the damage of your Star Pact spam, and it provides instantaneous DPS (useful because of the casting delay for Meteor+EB) . That's by far my favorite build for including Star Pact. And to give credit where it's due, Asmodeus got me on the idea of pairing Star Pact and Disruption. :)
Edited by TekkZero#1963 on 11/1/2013 9:25 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Right, thx for the extra info (I am playing MP10 most of the time) but just tried liquefy again, had been weeks. Went Act3 with a friend, died a few times (mostly being overconfident) but otherwise just felt like a hike in the park ... ; )

I use energy armor (PB rune) and prodigy, just to let u know, and it's really smooth, for sure ! ^^

EDIT : checked the AT / disruption skill and seems really good too ! :p
Edited by Gelador#2933 on 11/1/2013 10:07 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Tek will undoubtebly respond to any thread with the following in the title: Meat thrower, Liquify, Shower, Rain, Spam, Apoc, Reduction, and of course Meteor.. Sorry, I think I have left a few out.

Tek is a wealth of knowledge that we must plunder!!
Reply Quote
HA HA ! yeah I know he studied this deeply (and I was sure he'd be the 1st and prolly the only to answer to this topic), we have been sharing thoughts about meteors for a long time now ... ; )
Reply Quote
Welcome back to Meats Gelador!
Love your crafts... Those bracers are scrumdiddlyumptious!
Gear is looking swexy ^V^
Check out Tekk's guide if you havn't already done so : )
He smart man him, do good thangs for meat peoples.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/10357946014
Reply Quote
Thanks man, ur bracers are nice too ! ^^

Yeah I pretty start to know a bit about meat too, just I was a bit rusty after all those weeks without playing it and had never been tried star pact seriously tbh, but for sure Tekk is the "meat master" ... ; )

Check my monk's ammy, just crafted it today, it's quite good too. ; )
Reply Quote
11/01/2013 11:01 AMPosted by Gelador
Yeah I pretty start to know a bit about meat too, just I was a bit rusty after all those weeks without playing it

Oh, I know. We ran a few times and I tapped into you for knowlegde then too lol
WOW on Victory Bruiser. I would wear that on my Meat wiz... Tri&EHP me likey ; )

edit: typtoes
Edited by FL0Maxx#1702 on 11/1/2013 11:56 AM PDT
Reply Quote
HA HA ! Thx ! ^^
Reply Quote
Well, finalized my gear / build so far and I have just been face rolling act 1 MP10 with a 4 people team. Think I died once (dumbly, not even an elite fight) BUT it was just boring as hell : no challenge at all (just striking buttons in rhythm, sometimes teleport ...), this build is really too powerfull, man ... :p

May try prism to see how it goes, since I switched to Zuni's 3 piece combo for more sheet dps it but do not really need it. ;p

EDIT : Gonna try the nat's combo back with SA / SA to see how it goes, bet there'll be far more challenge with like - 80-100 AR and -1.5k armor ! lol
Edited by Gelador#2933 on 11/1/2013 1:48 PM PDT
Reply Quote
All right, most gorgeous build / gear ever for me is my current : spamming molten impact is just so good !!!! ^^

Played another 4 team game and just enjoyed myself ... : )

It was biased because a barb was using war cry so, yes, solo I am dying with "only" 4.3k armor, 798+ AR and 50k HP but I had not enjoyed playing the wiz like this for such a loooong time ... : )

Hoping it will inspire u on this way ! ; )
Reply Quote
welcome to the club!
Reply Quote
Welcome back Gelador to the wonderful land of meats!

Tek will undoubtebly respond to any thread with the following in the title: Meat thrower, Liquify, Shower, Rain, Spam, Apoc, Reduction, and of course Meteor.. Sorry, I think I have left a few out.

Tek is a wealth of knowledge that we must plunder!!
Oh for the love of Diablo what kind of monster have I become. Have I really become that predictable?!! :p I like to think that I've gained some knowledge, here and there, from all the wonderful meteor wizards I've met along my one year foray into the wonderful world of meats. Cuz really who likes being a vegetarian? ^_^
Edited by TekkZero#1963 on 11/1/2013 8:59 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Ty guyz ! : )

Actually, I was surprised that I could spam molten impact with my setup (I am using prism) ... Needs more testing today that the sun has risen, yesterday night my mind was not really "clear" (...) ! ; )

@Emperor : like your Mara's K. and Skull G. and ur wand of course ! ; )

@ Tekkzero : HA HA ! I am not vegetarian at all ! ;p
Reply Quote
Thanks for the prop regarding Star pact & AT/Disruption Tekkzero. :-)

Seeing that I've been experiementing with star pact, I'll add my 2 cents worth. If there is anything in this post that you can use for your excellent guide, Tekkzero, feel free to add.

Off the cuff, Star pact appears to be the weaker version, But I believe that if you build your wizard specifically for Star pact, you can win back some or even most of that lost potential DPS. Maybe, maybe, mitigate the dps back to even stevens? I'm hoping it is possible.

My thoughts along this avenue.

Firstly, APoC. You don't need 30 APoC to run star pact thanks to the lower 35 AP cost. Have a look at the Meteor wizard roll call thread,

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/10310891038

and look at the difference between the DPS of the 30 & 20 APoC wizards. Currently the two highest are 30 APoC = 345k dps & 20APoC = 424k dps. Star pact is suited to a 20 APoC build with potential higher DPS.

The next benefit of Star pact and the lower AP cost is the ability to cast 3 meteors without running out of AP. For the other runes, assuming you have an -5 AP cost meteor item, 3 x 45 AP = 135 AP. To get that much AP you usually need items with extra AP and usually the Astral Presence passive.
Now do the maths for star pact. 3 x 30 AP = 90. No need for Astral Presence or AP from items. You can even afford to loose 20AP from using an armor very easily and still be able to cast 3 star pacts without running out of AP on no target. Casting 4 star pacts on empty ground is not too hard, something that would be nigh impossible with any other rune.

Third, well, now consider the potentials we have just opened up here. We have freed up a passive skill slot and we can use say, Energy armor/prismatic. With the extra armor/AR from this skill, we can literally "glass up", reduce our equipment EHP and therefore increase our DPS. Hey, lets keep it simple. Glass cannon passive for a 15% DPS increase, loose 10% armor/AR, and gain that right back and more with energy armor/prismatic.

Another possibility is using Blur as your passive instead of Astral presence to mitigate some more "glass" to shift to DPS.

Now lets apply some of this to an actual meteor wizard, such as my own. :-)

First, 26APoC suitable for molten impact from wand, storm crow & source and -4 meteor Skull grasp and Astral presence passive. = 188k dps, 50.5k life, 4170 armor & 544 worst resistance.

Second, 17APoC for star pact, changing the storm crow for a tals helm c/w AR & Radiant star ameth, energy armor/prismatic active & glass cannon passive = 210k dps, 60k life, 5450 armor & 698 worst resistance.

So while I've only picked up a modest DPS increase, I've picked up a significant EHP boost, some of which could be swapped out for mor DPS boost gear.
Edited by Asmodeous#1189 on 11/2/2013 5:13 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Thanks for the prop regarding Star pact & AT/Disruption Tekkzero. :-)

Seeing that I've been experiementing with star pact, I'll add my 2 cents worth. If there is anything in this post that you can use for your excellent guide, Tekkzero, feel free to add.
I was meaning to add your build btw, and a video would be awesome. I thought about doing a video of the variant I've done, but I'd love to have yours.

I do partially disagree with your view on 20 and 30APoC. :lol Star Pact spamming is more functional than say Molten Impact at 20APOC. But reliable single-target spamming, and even two target spamming in my experience with both Liquefy and Star Pact still requires three sources of APoC/50+%cc, Meteor Reduction, and usually sub-optimal skill choices (like Prism). So it's not as if Star Pact is great either at 20APoC. You can certainly gear less around sustaining Meteor, but it's a far cry from optimal. It's like giving Star Pact a 'B' and Molten Impact a "C" for AP sustainability, and then stating that Star Pact has some wiggle to be a "C." Not a resounding endorsement! :p I think chasing better sustainability is a good thing, although we could settle for only being able to spam Meteor in 3+ target situations.

And spamming Arcane Torrent on singles is not trivially as easy as it sounds, and a.) requires lowering your attack speed/relying on intrinsic AP, or b.) going Prism/30APoC (or Arcane Torrent Reduction). So I personally think 30APoC is still wonderful, but then when I've tried your build, I've been doing a faster attack speed setup (2.5+aps), since I'm chasing procs, so AP regen is simply not enough.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]