Diablo® III

Another meteor topic ...

Yeah, I do realise that it's a bit conditional about the ApoC needed for Star pact. Conditional on the map & target density, attack speed, etc. All things being equal, star pact is going to be easier on the AP supply and I can see why your partially disagreeing with myself on this.

Dalguir Oasis for example, get surrounded by 30 odd targets and 20APoC and lower, the purple orb is barely going to move. But move to a less dense map such as the sewers and yes, then your going to want 30APoC and meteor reduction.

This is why I am mucking around with the two builds. Dalguir oasis = Molten/shower. Sewers = Star pact. But even then, I mix it up. Guess it depends on what colour I want my meat's to be today!

Also noted your comments about attack speed. Yeah, I'd like to increase my APS a bit but the budget is a problem there.
My issue is that where I live is a 300-350ms ping to battle,net so I try to allow some extra EHP on all my characters to allow for the delay, more so for my meteor wizard . No good if my wizard is dead before the first meteor lands.
Edited by Asmodeous#1189 on 11/2/2013 8:29 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Courtesy of Charlatan's generosity, he lent me his mit rare helm. dropped SC so now my LOH is around 800. But since I also dropped WW and went purely meteor, I don't think LOH is that critical. I have to do slightly little more teleporting but life seemed to be generated relatively fast with Liquefy and MF/blood.

I would hit nova/shard/eb intermittently only for defense but majority of times, I would spam meteor.

so far efficiency isn't that bad at all.

I only tested in Act 3 Keep.

I like meteor b/c again, you don't have to fight the mobs face to face.
Reply Quote
All right I have been testing intensely lately ... :p

So my aim is to be able to play with the molten impact rune because it's the one I prefer. ^^

The main problem I have been encountering is RD packs, even with 2.8% LS, the dmg is so huge that I die often (despite safe passage which can not be up all the time and because of the huge spamming of MI ! :p).

Hence, I have chose, energy armor / pinpoint barrier along with my Occy, the one with 5 met reduction (no vit on this one). I therefore get a good mit (5.5+ k armor), coupled with the 5% CC bonus. Coupling it with prism I have a total 10 reduction with 66.5% CC and up to 81.5% when DF is on. It's working quite good and I should post a video if I am not too lazy ... ; )
Reply Quote
All right, here we are. UL'ing a video right now, should be online in like 40 min.

I died once cause I did not pay enough attention but otherwise, should be decent ... : )

Enjoy and leave comments or advice anytime. : )

http://youtu.be/ZdBzTlVkahQ

EDIT :the video is online.
Edited by Gelador#2933 on 11/2/2013 12:35 PM PDT
Reply Quote
What do Meteor builds do to counter RD?
Reply Quote
11/02/2013 02:37 PMPosted by mzy

I use 90.7% mitigation + 1100 loh + 4.5% Life steal (life steal chants swapped weapon). NO issues then, though my dps drops to 162k dps (which also helps a bit).
Edited by Harrowing#1449 on 11/2/2013 2:57 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Yeah mit' is the way. In my case, it's energy armor, 2.8% LS and teleport / safe passage ! ^^

Or ... u can skip the pack ! xD
Reply Quote
11/02/2013 02:37 PMPosted by mzy
As Harrowing mentioned, a mixture of strategies involving: lifesteal, loh (best if LL and WW are present, and Liquefy is pretty good), higher mitigation, using skills likes safe passage/crystal shell/evocation, sustaining off trash mobs, and locking down elites with strong freeze (i.e. faster attack builds with Liquefy). You can probably notice that Liquefy users have a few more options to deal with RD. And bear in mind that Liquefy users can mimic the sustain of Wicked Wind with about 3x more LoH. It's a bit harder with Molten Impact that needs about 5x more LoH.
Reply Quote
11/02/2013 03:11 PMPosted by Gelador
Or ... u can skip the pack ! xD
Cheater!!! ;)
Reply Quote
Honestly, I almost never skip any packs (check my elites count, u'll see by urself :p). The ones I tend to skip are the runners ones (like the fallen mages, I think). Just a pain in the side ! :p If I dun need the NV, I'll skip it, yeah ! : )

Well, tried my chant's set with about 800 LoH and it fared surprisingly good, even VS this RD pack we faced, was really surprising ...
Reply Quote
nobody likes stackin meteor reduc? :(
Reply Quote
11/02/2013 04:22 PMPosted by Emperor

Think I've got the most. Haven't seen anyone with more.
Reply Quote
11/02/2013 04:22 PMPosted by Emperor
Pretty nice Mara's trifecta. :)

I have quite a bit of Meteor Reduction gear, but normally I shy away from using it. I tend not to feel it's super-necessary, although certainly helpful. I more tend to prefer maximizing APoC and call it a day. If I like any piece, it's Skull Grasp. Maras would be nice, but even as good as you all have, all of your Maras are dramatically still inferior to a a rare amulet. It's just the sad reality that it's typically a huge opportunity cost to chase Meteor Reduction (except for source).

Think I've got the most. Haven't seen anyone with more.
Emperor and you tend to use a lot (13). Diablowjob used 19 (http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/diablowjob-1717/hero/1570417 ). Sadly he hasn't logged in awhile, but he goes on spurts. But hopefully we'll see him return again.
Edited by TekkZero#1963 on 11/2/2013 5:13 PM PDT
Reply Quote
11/02/2013 05:11 PMPosted by TekkZero
all of your Maras are dramatically still inferior to a a rare amulet.

unless you have a 9as 100 cd 10 cc maras -5 met reduc!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Edited by Emperor#6740 on 11/2/2013 7:52 PM PDT
Reply Quote
11/02/2013 07:49 PMPosted by Emperor
all of your Maras are dramatically still inferior to a a rare amulet.

unless you have a 9as 100 cd 10 cc maras -5 met reduc!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yep, but I have yet to see a really good one. You guys have good ones, but that's my point. It's so blasted hard to actually get a gg-Maras that is remotely competitive with a good rare Amulet. That's why I like Skull Grasp, since the stats are more fixed, and so the rarity isn't nearly bad. SoJ is also pretty straightforward, but I'm not a big fan of SoJ because of the lack of crit chance. If cc gets capped in Loot 2.0, I'll change my tune however on SoJ. :)
Reply Quote
i think mara is pretty decent though because of the ar and vit. just lackin in the dps department. also, it kinda signifies a true blue meteor wiz! well.. to me at least
Reply Quote
11/02/2013 08:09 PMPosted by Emperor
i think mara is pretty decent though because of the ar and vit. just lackin in the dps department. also, it kinda signifies a true blue meteor wiz! well.. to me at least
I've long given up trying to figure what makes a true CM Meteor, since we're all so varied. I recommend 3 sources of APoC and 50+%cc, but after that it's really varied what makes a true meteor wizard. And even that misses functional 20APoC builds that use secondary AP generators (LL and WW) and 2-h setups that function on a single source of APoC.

And even for wizards that stack the Meteor Reduction, the painful reality is that single-target is still a pain. I've done it, you've done, Harrowing I thnk has done it. It's not for the faint-hearted, and I'm kinda of the opinion that's it not really worth the effort. Single-target is indeed doable with Meteor Reduction, but ultimately a tenuous proposition because we still have to rely on certain skills (like Prism). I have gear that makes it possible to do 17 Reduction (and use to have up to 19), but it's really overkill. As soon as you settle on say two-target spam, it's doable even without Meteor Reduction if you rely on Prism.

The issue is that if you're spending so much just to make Meteor functional on 1-2 targets, you often end with a less powerful build than you would have otherwise had if you had chased gear without Meteor Reduction. For example, Dolynick's male wiz is a great example of a 20APoC and no Meteor Reduction gearset, stacked to the teeth with DPS. There are certain merits to what he's done, and he can even choose less optimal skills and still come out ahead on DPS than say Harrowing, you, or I can.

So I'm pretty tolerant what I consider to be a "true" Meteor wizard. Rather I think one of the fun things of being a Meteor wizard is that there is no "true" right path that a wizard must take to be successful. And a big part of that is that Meteor's high resource cost makes it such that there's almost invariably tradeoffs in gearing. The same argument for Meteor Reduction, APoC, and Life Steal is a part of the same gearing problem we all face as Meteor wizards. Most of the time, we end up with different solutions, which tends to fits our personalities, gear, and skill sets. It's not easy to gear for a good Meteor wizard like it is for SNS. :p
Reply Quote
11/02/2013 09:00 PMPosted by TekkZero
Most of the time, we end up with different solutions, which tends to fits our personalities, gear, and skill sets.

QFT !
Reply Quote
Eh, this topic is still alive, cool ! ^^

Well, the thing I realized yesterday only and which was pretty obvious ( lol ) is that u need over 100 AP to run this build correctly ... I tried 88 AP (energy armor debuff) and it was almost day and night compared to 108. Hence, I dropped conflag for prodigy and, man, yeah it's really good now. Even VS single targets, I am doing really decent with molten impact. : )

P.S. Noone commented the video, I take u did not watch it or like it ! :p
Edited by Gelador#2933 on 11/3/2013 2:29 AM PST
Reply Quote
you mean astral presence? :P
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]