Diablo® III

I loved this blue post

Smart drops will also affect the types of items that drop for your hero, not just the stats on them. So, basically: if you're getting a smart drop, both the item type and the stats on the item itself will be tailored towards your class.

As Neva noted, though, items only have a chance to be a smart drop, so you may still see some one-off mighty belts and voodoo masks here and there. Significantly less than before, though.

I loved this post when I saw it.

Items only have a chance to be a smart drop.

If you're getting a smart drop.

You won't.

I Love it. Way to half-!@# an update intended for overhauling the entire game. Brilliant. Old, game ruining habits die hard, way to stick to your guns Blizzard. I can't say I'm surprised, I actually got enough of a laugh that I felt I had to realistically define this to the community.

Too chicken-$%^- to follow through with an itemization change that would be 100% beneficial to the player without wasting our time. Classic D3 dev team. Did they let Jay Wilson back on the team?!?!?! KNEW IT.

You're gonna be grinding the same places, getting the same $%^-, all day long well after RoS comes out. For anyone that is completely fed up with Blizzard's BS half-assery, play Path of Exile. It's the Diablo 3 that the world deserves. Always new updates every 2 weeks at least. The game has 3 acts already and it's being planned for 10 ACTS! I was skeptical at first but damn, after playing PoE I can't BELIEVE I paid $60 for this bright, shiny turd. GOD, I was swindled.

Think about it, when you DO find a legendary, 99% of the time, it's absolute garbage. NOW you MIGHT get a SMART DROP YA'LL! Ooooooo!! CAN'T WAIT. I've seen a multitude of posts where people clocked their time in between legendary drops that were actually worth a damn at 700 HOURS!

The first blue that sees this is going to delete this post, but if even one person reads this before hand, I'll be satisfied.
Reply Quote
You seem to forget that they're also tuning the variance of item rolls. So items might not always roll the perfect set of stats, but they're more likely to be useful when they do. I'm not saying this fixes everything, but it does go a long way towards fixing what you're complaining about.
Reply Quote
You write a lot of raging text, but I do not identify what you want to be changed.....
Should, in your opinion, every drop be a smart drop?
Reply Quote
Community Manager
11/02/2013 01:10 AMPosted by ZEZBO
The first blue that sees this is going to delete this post, but if even one person reads this before hand, I'll be satisfied.

There's no reason to delete it. However, there is reason to counter the caustic (and slightly unfounded) assertions made within.

The rationale behind making smart drops a chance rather than a guarantee is two-fold. The primary goals are: a) give players the opportunity to find off-class drops so that they can share them with other characters on their accounts as well as friends and followers, and b) improve the overall item hunt, yes, but still maintain the innate randomness that's core to Diablo itemization. If all drops were smart drops, the pool of possible items for your character would narrow significantly. Instead, we're working to strike a good balance between smart drops and normal drops so that you're not starved for upgrades, but also not overly full of them either.

11/02/2013 01:26 AMPosted by Nishi
You seem to forget that they're also tuning the variance of item rolls.

Excellent point. I went into a bit more detail here: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/10388638968?page=3#52
Reply Quote
@Lylirra
a) give players the opportunity to find off-class drops so that they can share them with other characters on their accounts as well as friends and followers,

This is most importantly for me. If I play with my Barb, for example, I want to be able to find some good stuff for my other chars as well. Then, after some time, I might have found some good monk stuff and think: "Hey, let's try this awesome stuff on my previously bad equipped monk."

If we would have 100% smart drops, every char would need to be played on its own regarding their equipment, which would be bad, in my opinion, because we will no longer have an auction house.
Reply Quote
@Lylirra
a) give players the opportunity to find off-class drops so that they can share them with other characters on their accounts as well as friends and followers,

This is most importantly for me. If I play with my Barb, for example, I want to be able to find some good stuff for my other chars as well. Then, after some time, I might have found some good monk stuff and think: "Hey, let's try this awesome stuff on my previously bad equipped monk."

If we would have 100% smart drops, every char would need to be played on its own regarding their equipment, which would be bad, in my opinion, because we will no longer have an auction house.

Totally.
Reply Quote
If the console iteration of smart drops is anything to go by, the system is a resounding success.

Of course the PC version will be tuned somewhat differently, but when you consider the console version was based directly off the 2.0/RoS development, then it's looking pretty good in my opinion.
Reply Quote
Smart drops will also affect the types of items that drop for your hero, not just the stats on them. So, basically: if you're getting a smart drop, both the item type and the stats on the item itself will be tailored towards your class.

As Neva noted, though, items only have a chance to be a smart drop, so you may still see some one-off mighty belts and voodoo masks here and there. Significantly less than before, though.

I loved this post when I saw it.

Items only have a chance to be a smart drop.

If you're getting a smart drop.

You won't.

I Love it. Way to half-!@# an update intended for overhauling the entire game. Brilliant. Old, game ruining habits die hard, way to stick to your guns Blizzard. I can't say I'm surprised, I actually got enough of a laugh that I felt I had to realistically define this to the community.

Too chicken-$%^- to follow through with an itemization change that would be 100% beneficial to the player without wasting our time. Classic D3 dev team. Did they let Jay Wilson back on the team?!?!?! KNEW IT.

You're gonna be grinding the same places, getting the same $%^-, all day long well after RoS comes out. For anyone that is completely fed up with Blizzard's BS half-assery, play Path of Exile. It's the Diablo 3 that the world deserves. Always new updates every 2 weeks at least. The game has 3 acts already and it's being planned for 10 ACTS! I was skeptical at first but damn, after playing PoE I can't BELIEVE I paid $60 for this bright, shiny turd. GOD, I was swindled.

Think about it, when you DO find a legendary, 99% of the time, it's absolute garbage. NOW you MIGHT get a SMART DROP YA'LL! Ooooooo!! CAN'T WAIT. I've seen a multitude of posts where people clocked their time in between legendary drops that were actually worth a damn at 700 HOURS!

that way you may find an upgrade for an alt when farming....

dont be worried, blues cant erase stupidity.
Reply Quote
@Lylirra Burning the midnight oil I see. Flaming trollz think they can post late or on the weekends to avoid your gaze :)_)
Reply Quote
OP your post doesn't make any sense. Of course you're going to get smart drops, just like console.

On a side note.. you don't need 2 or 3 commas in every sentence you write.
Reply Quote
On a side note.. you don't need 2 or 3 commas in every sentence you write.

Maybe the OP has short breath.....
Reply Quote
Here come ALL THE MIGHTY BELTS in the game.
Reply Quote
I have a stupid question. are they upping the amount of gold that drops too? Cause once the auction house is gone. New players or returning players or players that did not play the AH... will have one nightmare of a time gathering the amount of gold needed to craft the gems.

The AH artificially made too much gold available to ALL players that used it. once its gone... its back to buying gold from chinese gold farmers or never being able to upgrade your gems on all your toons if your a NEW PLAYER starting with the expansion..
Reply Quote
I can't wait to get my first smart drop wand with a strength or dex roll, because face it, if you are smart, a barb might want a wand!
Reply Quote
Where to even begin on your post....

You have over 1 million lifetime kills, for a game you payed 60 bucks for...you are either:

A. A complete idiot for doing something you obviously hate for so many hours.

B. Suffering from some severe personality disorder that includes victim mentality, persecution complex, entitlement syndrome.

C. A combination of both A and B.

So many miserable people on these forums, trying to spread their misery around to everyone else. Don't like the game? Awesome, go do something else and stop clogging the forums with worthless, abusive whine fests. Not liking something about a game, and suggesting alternatives based on what you'd like to see is helpful, this is just psychosis.

The fact that Blizzard even bothers to respond in any kind of reasonable way to posts like this is evidence of sainthood. If I ran Blizzard I'd send you a check for 60 bucks with a picture of a giant middle finger, and ban your IP for life.
Reply Quote
If all drops were smart drops, the pool of possible items for your character would narrow significantly. Instead, we're working to strike a good balance between smart drops and normal drops so that you're not starved for upgrades, but also not overly full of them either.

THANKS
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]