Diablo® III

Paragon 2.0 - Not account wide

11/05/2013 09:37 PMPosted by semiXform
Because this means everyone will play the char that is the easiest to lvl.

And this effects you in some grand scheme how exactly?

I just don't understand. Maybe if you would have said, "Because this means I will just play the char that is the easiest to lvl.", I wouldn't have felt the need to post. I would have just chalked you up to a person that needs to be told how to have fun... oh wait
You are missing the point kiddo. Whats the point of lvling up another char when the other one is 10x more efficient? This is a game about getting the strongest char and if its easier to do it one way me and everyone will take that route. Plus i wanna lvl up the char that i play not the one im not using. it gives me less incentive to play another char.
Reply Quote
11/05/2013 09:41 PMPosted by Jt3z
You are missing the point kiddo. Whats the point of lvling up another char when the other one is 10x more efficient? This is a game about getting the strongest char and if its easier to do it one way me and everyone will take that route. Plus i wanna lvl up the char that i play not the one im not using. it gives me less incentive to play another char.

Well, there is this thing called gear. You get better stats on this 'gear' and your character becomes more efficient.

And of course you have to end on the weakest point of them all. Sorry to say, I don't need someone forcing incentive down my throat. If I wanna play another character, I'll do that uninhibited.
Reply Quote
11/05/2013 08:50 PMPosted by BobWitchDR
Couldn't you have a "fresh start" by not assigning the paragon points on the new character?
Yeah, but then you don't get the rush of excitement of acquiring paragon points once they hit level 60... and the current system means you'll be waiting huge periods of time between paragon levels once you've well and truly started progressing through paragon levels.
Reply Quote
11/05/2013 09:44 PMPosted by semiXform

Well, there is this thing called gear. You get better stats on this 'gear' and your character becomes more efficient.

And of course you have to end on the weakest point of them all. Sorry to say, I don't need someone forcing incentive down my throat. If I wanna play another character, I'll do that uninhibited.
Yes and when i play that character i wanna earn points for JUST that character im using. For example(Since you are so simple minded :)...) If i use a barb i wanna gain points for just my barb not my monk. And when i use my monk i wanna gain points for just my monk not my barb. Simple right? :)
Reply Quote
Wow, just wow. I started reading this thread thinking not another one of these QQ threads about shared paragon again. When I first read about shared paragon I thought that each of your heroes would still retain there level up to p100 and then you would have a shared account pool that you could draw from to use for cool bonuses like say adding some MS to all your heroes. I believe it was a blue post back when paragon 2.0 was first announced that put that Idea into my head.

So after reading through this thread, I hit the point where the guy said that in the console he had a hero he was leveling that showed p10 grayed until he hits 60 at which point that hero then becomes p10 like all other heroes on the account.

I hope to god that this is not how the PC version will be. I like the idea of getting a bonus to use for all your heroes for each p100 you have while at the same time letting each hero retain its paragon level individually. I hate the idea of all of your heros having the exact same paragon level. I like to see how each hero is progressing individually.

Inspite of some less than stellar mechanics and class imbalance, I do like this game or I would not have invested over 1200 hours so far. I have been happily farming for crap waiting for the AH to close and for loot 2.0 and RoS without complaining in the forums and I have to admit this whole idea of all of your heroes sharing the same paragon level is causing me to start to rethink this game.

If this is true, I am fairly certain that I will stick with whatever hero is the most efficient instead of grinding it out to 100 on each class and actually learning how each class works. Sadly, that is the nature of my personality. Now, I find my self playing other classes to get them to 100 and I am learning how they work and having fun doing it. My motivation to progress is a bit stronger than my desire to try something different and I am sure there are many many others like me. Like I said this game is a treasure hunt without much else to keep you playing and It will be the same after RoS and loot 2.0 come out.
Edited by KillerElite#1853 on 11/5/2013 10:28 PM PST
Reply Quote
The more I think about it the more I'm thinking the devs are completely right on this one. The idea is to give you the freedom to play any of your characters while not getting tied down to a single one because you've got more time invested in it. The idea is to make playing the game itself more fun and not getting bogged down on one character.

People (this is probably a generalization but I think it applies) aren't going to play the same character every day because it's more efficient, they will switch out as they get bored playing one for too long. As the devs are looking at it this way you don't sit down to play and feel like you have to play one character over another because it's more efficient. Plus, Smart Loot means you have a marginally higher chance to find better gear for the character you're currently playing, so that is an incentive to switch it up occasionally.
Reply Quote
@OP. you have no self control and want to instead penalise others who would rather have account wide paragon so that you can have "some achievement"

hello, not everyone wants to waste their time playing 1 character, then starting a new one when a new one comes out to be reduced in mediocrity. we want time played in game to account for all aspects of power regardless of the character we play. that way, we aren't as much affected by nerfs and such.

you don't even need to assign paragon points if you actually have the self control, instead you want to dictate to everyone else how it should be played.

ladders will exist, so there you go, fresh start everytime you create a new character.
Reply Quote
A lot of people seem to be confused as to how the Paragon Points are distributed.

It's not a single pool that each character can pull points from, each character has their own allocation of points for each level, i.e; Each paragon level you gain gives each character 1 paragon point, not one point for the account to share. So a P200 acount would have X amount of characters, each with 200 points to allocate as they please.

As for the OP, I don't think the system should be changed at all as your concern is moot; If you don't want to twink a fresh character with paragon points, you simply don't allocate them.
Reply Quote
11/05/2013 12:15 PMPosted by Mike
Wierd idea here but if you don't want the paragon points so you can "start fresh" just don't allocate them.

Or play ladder mode...
Reply Quote
11/05/2013 11:58 AMPosted by Grimiku
I've seen this argument made before, and I'd like to get a little clarity before I pass it along. It seems your primary concern is that you’d like a way to create characters with a fresh start. Would Paragon 2.0 be fine if you also had the ability to do this?

This is just slowly approaching the old system which was better. Assigning stat points at each level as you level up. A regular level cap of 99, perhaps with paragon levels beyond that.

Paragon levels earned should not apply account wide, but be specific to the character that earned those levels. That is what makes it impressive, the amount of time invested in a single character. ESPECIALLY in hardcore where the current idea of account wide paragon levels would mean that every paragon level earned = easier play on the next character.
Reply Quote
I'm happy that they are taking this route, but I'm still skeptical.
Reply Quote
That's what my suggestion would allow you to experience, while giving you the freedom to switch back & forth between the account wide & independent character system as desired
Reply Quote
11/06/2013 12:16 AMPosted by ForenAccount
Wierd idea here but if you don't want the paragon points so you can "start fresh" just don't allocate them.

Or play ladder mode...

Once you reach level 60, how do you determine when to start giving your "fresh" character paragon points? Since in the current system you'll have a loooot to spend.
Reply Quote
I've seen this argument made before, and I'd like to get a little clarity before I pass it along. It seems your primary concern is that you’d like a way to create characters with a fresh start. Would Paragon 2.0 be fine if you also had the ability to do this?

The issue is not getting a "fresh start," but rather, which stats should be shared between characters. Most people I've talked to like the idea of sharing MF / GF between characters. But having it so that whenever one character levels, they all do (effectively) in terms of DPS and defense, would make the game a little too easy, and ruin the experience of leveling each character.

Maybe the devs could split leveling into an individual paragon leveling system (like right now) but combine it with a group MF bonus, which goes up for all characters on your account whenever one earns a Paragon level. That would allow us to share our MF / GF odds across characters, without ruining the feeling of building each one in terms of power. Just a thought.
Reply Quote
IMO as long as Paragon levels are separate for ladder and non-ladder and will be a subject to resets each new ladder season, I do not really care that much about shared or non shared paragon levels otherwise. It will still be mostly the first time challenge to get high paragon levels each ladder season.

What I would dislike is that paragon level is shared for the account, no matter if it is a ladder or non ladder character. That would be simply wrong. I do not care for non-ladder. It may be shared for the life time as far as I am concerned, but paragon levels for ladder should start at 0 on the launch and be separate from non-ladder characters - they also should be a subject o reset each new ladder season. However, it still could be shared for all ladder characters during the given season, because then it really does not matter if you do all the later grinding with a monk/DH/Wiz or whatever. It only changes the play style with a given character.
Reply Quote
-1 to the OP

As the system is currently being tested players have a choice to assign there Paragon Points account wide or they can simply decide not to assign them.

^^ This is allowing you to play the game as you want to (the American way or the Allied way).

The OP's idea is just removing the ability to make a choice, it's just a way to force us all to play his way (the Oppressed way or the Axis of Evil way).

In its present form the game is already limiting our choices. We don't need more limits, we need more choices. The currently proposed Paragon 2.0 is a great start in the right direction.
Reply Quote
http://www.diablofans.com/topic/102260-paragon-20-mastery-lets-discuss/

The account wide paragon does look pretty cool, however, I still want to see the progress each hero has made towards the level.
Reply Quote
How about have a separate ladder for non-account wide paragon?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]