Diablo® III

Please don't neglect *Difficulty of the game*

The game in it's current form is too easy. There needs to be challenge, and there needs to be something in the game so people start caring about their deaths. Risk vs Reward needs to be there in order for this game to exist for a long time.
Reply Quote
There is a penalty for death, -10% durability on your stuff and loss of any shrines you had going.If you want a harsher penalty than that, play Hardcore. I hated losing XP in D2 and D3 is way to haphazard for something like that. There have been plenty of times when the server lag has killed me and I've also seen multiple times where I hit a button see it light up on my skill bar and then do nothing at all.

As for difficulty, it's plenty difficult for me atm, but I can understand the want to have more. It would probably be fairly easy to increase the MP max to have a more challenging game
Reply Quote
11/05/2013 05:23 AMPosted by JohnWayne
there needs to be something in the game so people start caring about their deaths. Risk vs Reward needs to be there in order for this game to exist for a long time.

im all for increased death penalties and all...
but until you start playing hardcore i dont think you really have any credibility in the subject of death penalty and risk vs reward. when you have had to reroll a few times after losing some characters then come back and continue.
Reply Quote
Community Manager
The game in it's current form is too easy. There needs to be challenge, and there needs to be something in the game so people start caring about their deaths. Risk vs Reward needs to be there in order for this game to exist for a long time.

I'm always interested in hearing more about ways that the game could offer additional challenge, risk, and rewards. Keep in mind that steeper death penalties don't always help the way the way we intend, and sometimes have unintended consequences. How would you like to see more challenge added? Do you think offering survival incentives would be the right approach? Maybe there should be more dungeons that you could fail (like the Crumbling Vaults)? Let me know what you think, and I'll be happy to pass along your feedback.
Reply Quote
For alot of players, MP10 is plenty hard.
Reply Quote

I'm always interested in hearing more about ways that the game could offer additional challenge, risk, and rewards. Keep in mind that steeper death penalties don't always help the way the way we intend, and sometimes have unintended consequences. How would you like to see more challenge added? Do you think offering survival incentives would be the right approach? Maybe there should be more dungeons that you could fail (like the Crumbling Vaults)? Let me know what you think, and I'll be happy to pass along your feedback.

There should be areas of the game that are noticeably more difficult, challenge areas, but not really like trials or any kind of objective, just completely optional areas that would appear like any dungeon or something. In these places, the player SHOULD, from time to time, feel overwhelmed. That is perfectly fine. Almost like the ubers from Diablo 2 that were filled with ridiculous amounts of champion monsters. Also, champion monsters should be added. My definition of a champion monster is a normal monster, with one or two basic affixes, these mostly just alter the monsters behavior such as attack speed, life, ect. Do not mistake what I'm saying for ELITE packs.
Edited by zSnakez#1978 on 11/5/2013 2:44 PM PST
Reply Quote
11/05/2013 02:34 PMPosted by Grimiku

Losing NV stacks would be a good start. Maybe not all at once. I think only if it were 3 stacks max not 5, but that is another issue. Players potentially losing their ability to stay at max MF/GF/Exp I think would incentivize them to survive instead of cannon.

A resurrection sickness might also help. If you suicide bomb too much you get a debuff and must wait a set amount of time.

Also the problem stems from gear repair. Currently gold is worthless because the AH pumps it up and the AH is the best gold sink right now. Gems are a good sink for now, but I don't think it is enough. If gold had a lot of value, like if crafting and enchanting were really awesome then people would value the money they pick up and resist dying since every death nowadays is like 10K gold.
Reply Quote
Yeah let us see your cake walk in A4 MP 10 with a full party of some lesser geared players and you could even include some A4 MP 10 where you are solo and just smash and melt everything. Please don't just show off some of the easy runs either. Maybe you could sell some of your best gears in the AH or just not use them for a while with each death. That should help you with the game being too easy for you.
Reply Quote
11/05/2013 02:40 PMPosted by zSnakez
Also, champion monsters should be added. My definition of a champion monster is a normal monster, with one or two basic affixes, these mostly just alter the monsters behavior such as attack speed, life, ect. Do not mistake what I'm saying for ELITE packs.

That is similar to purple monsters. You know those elite-esque guys who die almost as fast as white monsters. I think the purple "mini-bosses" need a boost.

I like the idea though, whites are total trash mobs in this game and I think they shouldn't be.

11/05/2013 02:36 PMPosted by HeMan

No doubt. The problem though is that dealing more damage is the key way to increasing one's preferred MP level, and I don't think that is right. Difficulty should be overcome by surviving, not out DPSing content. I find everybody doing a glass cannon style of play to be very boring. When D3 was first released everybody went RA/Armor and I found it very exciting.
Edited by Gorbulan#1175 on 11/5/2013 2:53 PM PST
Reply Quote
11/05/2013 02:36 PMPosted by HeMan

True. What it needs is more incentive for players to do it. Add MP10 specific items. Set and Legendary items that will only drop in MP10 or at least MP 7-10 with a better chance for dropping the higher you go. Presently to many go the easy route with more kills per minute making up for the lack of MF bonus.
Reply Quote
No doubt. The problem though is that dealing more damage is the key way to increasing one's preferred MP level, and I don't think that is right. Difficulty should be overcome by surviving, not out DPSing content. I find everybody doing a glass cannon style of play to be very boring. When D3 was first released everybody went RA/Armor and I found it very exciting.

I think LL is going away (or being nerfed hard) so that should help quite a bit.
Edited by Matthew#1923 on 11/5/2013 2:56 PM PST
Reply Quote
MP10 games usually deliver a few legends per run, however their quality is usually rubbish. The biggest incentive for me to play mp10 is the xp for paragoning. The glass-cannon thing I dont see in mp10 public games too often, more often than not players have all resist and armour stacked rather than excessive dps.
Reply Quote
I think the game should be made harder through changing the current monster power system. The insane increase in life with the negligible increase in damage just makes playing higher monster powers tedious. It would be more interesting to have to gear a little more defensively as well as for more dps when moving up in MP. For an example, I can play MP10 with my barbarian although not effectively. It is just so boring because I sit there and just hit a single monster for what seems like forever. I would love to see an actual difficulty increase rather than just a dps check when moving up in MP.
Reply Quote

Real challenge only comes through gameplay. If the first thing that comes to mind is rewards for survival you're thinking about it all wrong. Think really powerful attacks that can be dodged or that you have to precisely time a skill like Ignore Pain to survive. Survival rewards are the opposite of challenge. They'll push people to only do stuff that's easy.
Reply Quote
How would you like to see more challenge added? Do you think offering survival incentives would be the right approach? Maybe there should be more dungeons that you could fail (like the Crumbling Vaults)? Let me know what you think, and I'll be happy to pass along your feedback.

I miss the intensity of original inferno (or at least until it was nerfed a tiny bit but NOT after the larger nerfs). The feeling of fear facing a tough mob was exciting. With better itemization of loot 2.0 it wouldn't be as much of an unscalable brick wall.
Also, what made its original iteration frustrating was that it made me feel like I NEEDED to play it for the chance for lvl 63 items (read: 'small chance at even being usable') despite how poorly geared I was.
If there was an intensely difficult mode like that, but with little to no bonus in loot finding, I'd play it for ego sake. "I can play Ultimate Face Melting Killer Difficulty for hours and only die once"

Also failable dungeons frustrate me (so not too many) but they are a nice change of pace in moderation.

Any mechanic that forces me to react and make quick decisions rather than just face-tanking everything would be good as well.
Edited by WhatsUpChuck#1763 on 11/6/2013 12:06 AM PST
Reply Quote
I don't know so much about more challenge, higher MP 10 is enough, I would like to see some variety though. Maybe mix up what mobs can be in what acts, different random dungeons would be nice too, as much RNG as there is, the instances are very linear. Maybe some easter eggs from d1/d2 instances and or bosses etc would be cool.

P.S. please remove the lag monster, hes TOO difficult even on mp0 normal
Reply Quote
If nephalem valor were to be used to incensitivize survival I'd say it could go this way:

3 stacks gained each at +-20% bonus that act as usual
2 more stacks +-20% that are gained the same but lost if you die.

Net result: bigger bonus then current system to encourage survival, bonus goes below current (but not lost) to discourage dying.

*Yes i think there should be events with timers, maybe they "enrage" as it were and become vastly harder*
Reply Quote
A survival bonus that moves quickly at first and slows as it increases up to a x2 multiplier to MF,GF and a x1.2 multiplyer to main stat. You lose it all on death. This would be awesome for us HC players.

Maybe make it percentage based 1-100%. 1-30 could be reached in a day or two. You should gain points on it through the xp you earn. 31-60 should take a week or so a piece. Then 60-70 a month each, 80-90 two months. To get to 100% bonus it should take years.

This survival bonus should not be shared across characters, of course.
Reply Quote

Ever heard of HC mode?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]