Diablo® III

To be honest, PoE is the game I wished D3 was

It took so many cues from D2, but most importantly, it didn't just hollowly ape D2 like D3 tried to, it actually improves on what was great in D2. Sockets are FANTASTIC in PoE, whereas they're just some extra DPS in D3. White items are all potentially useful due to the ability to imbue. D2 quest rewards have all been expanded on and turned into actual game mechanics - resocketing, imbuing, and even more. The story and lore are interesting, but set in the background, so that they don't intrude on gameplay unless you go out of your way to interact with story objects.

And then there's the passive tree. 1300+ passive skills, allowing you to build your character in a way that is really, truly unique, making a build that ONLY you have, and custom-tailored to the skill gems you wish to use. There are just enough respec points to fix clumsy mistakes, but nowhere near enough to change roles with the click of a button. It rewards planning and diligence without overly punishing mistakes.

Progression and loot feel awesome, with 100 levels to go through. This means you're constantly leveling, just like in D2. It also means items aren't designed just for the cap. There's no gigantic gap between level 50 and level 60 items. Sometimes you'll find a godly level 1 unique that can last you the whole game, or that you can build around. Gear can convey game-changing bonuses like converting all your block to spell block, or making you cast spells from your life pool, or giving you stun immunity but removing your ability to evade. They rewrite the rules of the game and make your character a whole new sort of class just by putting the item on.

Ladder is back and the hardcore modes even tell you when top players die. There are cool new game modes which add new mechanics and they're introduced every few months. Free new content and enemy types. Maps are actually random unlike D3's "chunks" in a 95% static map. Exploring is fun and you are never certain where waypoints or exits will be. Even bartering feels better, you actually communicate and trade with other players, can haggle over deals, and the whole game just feels fresh and alive with constant updates and info straight from the developers while D3 just feels like a dead husk of a game being thrown an occasional bone by PR puppets.

Path of Exile is basically the Diablo 2 sequel I was hoping and waiting for over a decade. I guess there is not much else to say in this post except I wonder where it all went wrong.
Reply Quote
poe fanboy is strong with this one. poe looks like puke on garbage, I'll rather play back D2 than that.
Reply Quote
11/09/2013 11:55 PMPosted by Archangel
PoE has everything except fun.

they don't have the graphics, animation..
Reply Quote
11/09/2013 08:36 PMPosted by fathom
poe fanboy is strong with this one. poe looks like puke on garbage, I'll rather play back D2 than that.

To be honest I am more of a D2 fanboy than anything else, I still do play D2 and I would gladly play a D2 remake if Blizzard made one. Diablo 2 is, imho, the best video game ever made, and I could (and probably will) continue playing it until the day I die in 30+ years. It's just THAT good.

I tried to enjoy Diablo 3, I really did try, but I just can't. I don't have fun playing it. I may get Reaper of Souls if it really improves the game like they promise it will but my hopes aren't high. I don't think I can nail down any one thing that I think kills my interest in D3, except to say that when I log in it feels like I just have nothing to do and no way to build a character and nothing to theory craft about.

Everything is just so safe and sterile, there is no room for mistakes, and so there is no room to learn from mistakes and improve your next build.
Reply Quote

Agreed.

I keep giving it a shot every few weeks. Advance a few levels, get through a couple zones, maybe find some new gear. I exit the game having had no fun. Maybe late game is fun. If so, then the devs need to inject some of that fun in the other parts of the game because I'm having a hard time pushing through it.

It might help if combat sounds (and combat in general...at early levels anyways) weren't terrible. I swear it sounds like some dude sat down with a stick and some buckets and recorded the impact sounds. I had the same issue with Torchlight 2 (which I actually enjoyed). Aside from Diablo, only Grim Dawn seems to have reasonable combat sounds.
Reply Quote
It's good to see that there's still a few survivors of the Diablo 3 Defense Force lurking these forums trying to defend the indefensible, best of luck lads, just finished eating my sandwiches and going back to PoE.

Ciao!
Reply Quote
View profile
11/10/2013 03:58 AMPosted by Swordsman

they don't have the graphics, animation..

I think that's what I feel it is missing too. I tried it twice and my wife once and it didn't feel as fun.

Right now I am trying our Grim Dawn, which even though its an alpha feels pretty good and I hope it only gets better from there because if RoS is meh I need something to get my loot on in.
Reply Quote
11/11/2013 08:53 PMPosted by Archangel
I hear PoE has forums, if you love it so much why aren't you posting there?

What makes you think I don't? I just come here from time to time to have a good laugh.
Reply Quote
11/09/2013 08:36 PMPosted by fathom

So much it hurts to be told the truth to the fanboys?

Hahaha, no
Edited by Arcangel#1218 on 11/12/2013 6:12 AM PST
Reply Quote
[quote="104894856818"][quote]

Grim Dawn is pretty much a reskinned Titan Quest...not kidding.

Is it? I didn't enjoy TQ as much. I can definitely tell it's the same (similar?) engine but GD just feels better. In any event, whatever they're doing they're doing it right.
Reply Quote
View profile
[quote]
[quote]

Grim Dawn is pretty much a reskinned Titan Quest...not kidding.

Is it? I didn't enjoy TQ as much. I can definitely tell it's the same (similar?) engine but GD just feels better. In any event, whatever they're doing they're doing it right.

So far I am having fun with it. Its an Alpha but good so far.

And yes its the same engine. Its the team from the remnants of Iron Lore Entertainment who have the rights to the game engine.

They are however trying to improve it and the KS got them 2x what they needed but need a good community support behind it.
Reply Quote
There is absolutely no point posting in a D3 forum telling others how good POE is... I thought everyone already knew that POE is everything that D3 should of been.. it is the true sequel of D2.

Anyone who has loved D2 or D1 would definitely enjoy POE and understand the depth and potential of this game. This game can only get better, download it and play it if you haven't, TRY IT at least. In the beginning, the combat system can be a little bit awkward, but it gets better, just like in D2. Also, the game is free, devs work hard and provides bi-weekly patches, plus the expansion coming out in March will also be free, what's there to !@#$% about?

And man.. if you think POE is horrendous, you simply haven't played D2, or at least you are not passionate about D2 like us who are having a blast with POE. And if D3 was your first game ever in the Diablo franchise, I pity you, really.
Reply Quote
11/07/2013 02:00 PMPosted by Miraa
Path of Exile is basically the Diablo 2 sequel I was hoping and waiting for over a decade. I guess there is not much else to say in this post except I wonder where it all went wrong.

Well the D3 skill system is innovative but it's a little TOO simple, which does create a problem for some players. Not saying there aren't other issues with it, nor am I saying it doesn't have good points too, it does.

But one place were this went wrong is how their choice for a skill system (nothing really wrong with it) was presented to the community. That the idea of stats was outdated. I listened to that explanation and it came across like it's some kind a gaming design sin and people who didn't believe that too were also outdated and wrong.

That's how I heard it and many others did too, it may not have been intended that way, but it was the way it came across to numerous players. This is NOT saying D3 is wrong either, just that this is one place where something went wrong in the PR department.
Edited by RockSalt#1639 on 11/16/2013 7:56 AM PST
Reply Quote
For me, POE looks like it has a lot of potential.

But playing it, it's just not fun. It's not engaging and the classes aren't interesting.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]