Diablo® III

Cop-out Answer: Tyrael is Mortal, not Human.

11/14/2013 12:40 PMPosted by ChangBooster
Obi-Wan's death

Umm, Spoiler alert!?

Ha!
Reply Quote
11/14/2013 12:01 PMPosted by Nevalistis
By losing it, he instead gained the ability to help the nephalem directly as an adviser and guide - something he simply couldn't have done by staying in the heavens as an angel.

Please tell me why he can no longer come to Sanctuary as an immortal. If I remember correctly, he did it all the time. Confused..................
Reply Quote
Posted by Nevalistis
By losing it, he instead gained the ability to help the nephalem directly as an adviser and guide - something he simply couldn't have done by staying in the heavens as an angel.

Please tell me why he can no longer come to Sanctuary as an immortal. If I remember correctly, he did it all the time. Confused..................

I believe the game implies answers to both of these questions. Cain explains that the angels were not helping the humans with their demonic problems because the Horadrim would not notify the angels of the problems, due to the last time the angels "helped" they nearly destroyed humanity completely, If they were to find out that the "wandering stranger" was a human hosting Diablo, they would eradicate humanity just for the sake of not giving demons that thoroughfare.

As for why Tyrael became mortal rather than intervening as an angel, the final act shows that whomever controls the crystal arch can completely debilitate angels. One could assume that Imperius could do this on a micro scale rather than what was done at the end at a macro scale. This would be something that Tyrael would be well aware of, and, if caught, would be rendered helpless if not just destroyed.

If none of that works for you, may I offer; "Its in the script"?
Reply Quote

He is no longer affiliated with the Angiris council or bound by their laws and restrictions as a mortal. Tyrale recognized that as a member of this body of entities (the angels) he would be unable to do what he felt was his job. So he quit and became freelance. Its like quitting your job and opening your own company, or moving to another country with less restrictive laws.

But he was already disobeying them which means he wasn't bound by their laws or restrictions anyway. That was the entire reason why he and Imperius were butting heads in the first place, because Tyreal was doing things that he was told not to do.

11/15/2013 04:38 AMPosted by Keltest
Your army metaphor is flawed because theres nothing actually compelling the angels to fight the demons or obey those codes besides themselves. They didn't sign some spiritual agreement saying theyd die before they abandoned their laws or anything. Each angel (except Tyrael) individually agrees that the laws are worth upholding for the sake of law.

I.. doesn't that sound EXACTLY like the army now? lol. I'm not being forced to join the army, I do it by signing up myself :p.
Reply Quote
Posted by Symplectic
If Tyrael is not human, then why does he look like a human?

When Tyrael became mortal, his body began to form in his fall. He had a measure of control over this process, and as his goals were to ultimately benefit humanity, taking the form of a human was most ideal. After all, he would need to walk among humans and nephalem and fit in. It made sense to blend in.

If Tyrael's not a human, why do all Angels have a humanoid form? Checkmate Angels.

Humans: 1, Angels: 0
Reply Quote
11/15/2013 12:20 PMPosted by Providence
But he was already disobeying them which means he wasn't bound by their laws or restrictions anyway. That was the entire reason why he and Imperius were butting heads in the first place, because Tyreal was doing things that he was told not to do.

He was not disobeying them. He pushed the boundaries of what he was allowed to do, but he never outright went against their laws.

11/15/2013 12:20 PMPosted by Providence
I.. doesn't that sound EXACTLY like the army now? lol. I'm not being forced to join the army, I do it by signing up myself :p.

But once you join, you have to follow orders whether you personally like them or not, right? You can leave after a while, but you will be punished it you outright refuse to follow orders barring some specific circumstances.
Reply Quote
11/14/2013 05:50 PMPosted by Nevalistis
Tyrael's disobedience is certainly why he and Imperius butted heads.

yeah... more plot hole thanks....

"Angels and Demons are bound to their nature (no free will), their fate can be predicted, but the fate of nephalem can't."

she says this in act 3. Explain... cause this makes NO SENSE LOLOL
Reply Quote
Did Tyrael have 'choice' because he is justice? From what I remember he is the one who see things as justice on his own way even if it's injustice.
Reply Quote
I love how they there is still no answer to how he became a more human form. i understand why but if angels can still make free choices then why did he? like how can a angel do this at all? its a giant plot hole i believe and i really hope they answer this eventually cause i am curious as heck to find out.
Reply Quote

We can actually draw a reasonable comparison here to Kormac. He was following blind faith that had been drilled into him by a corrupt order, and he knew nothing else.

Wait, although this is probably true and hinted/predicted, there were no evidence in the game that the order was actually corrupted right?
Reply Quote
How would being an angel inhibit his goals exactly?

Tyreal is already disobedient which means he exhibits some free will, so being an angel isn't crippling his ability to do things on his own.

Being angel gives him many nifty perks like being immortal, being substantially stronger, and being able to fly.

In essence, reverting from being angel to mortal in order to help humans is a lot like a rich person burning all of their money so they can help poor people.

As an Angel, Imperius would not put up with his actions. As a mortal, I think, Tyreal could get away with more.
Reply Quote
How would being an angel inhibit his goals exactly?

Tyreal is already disobedient which means he exhibits some free will, so being an angel isn't crippling his ability to do things on his own.

Being angel gives him many nifty perks like being immortal, being substantially stronger, and being able to fly.

In essence, reverting from being angel to mortal in order to help humans is a lot like a rich person burning all of their money so they can help poor people.

As an Angel, Imperius would not put up with his actions. As a mortal, I think, Tyreal could get away with more.

He is a mortal angel he is STILL an angel but not a fallen angel like Izual so he shouldn't be able to get away from their laws just because he become a mortal angel.
Reply Quote

He is a mortal angel he is STILL an angel but not a fallen angel like Izual so he shouldn't be able to get away from their laws just because he become a mortal angel.

Again, he effectively said "I quit" to the angels. He believes in the same goals as the rest of them do, but decided that the restrictions they live by will ultimately hinder them. When he became mortal, he severed himself from the other angels. This includes their ability to enforce their rules on him. However it also includes their support, unless they choose to give it.
Reply Quote
edit
Edited by OrkoTheGreat#1260 on 11/17/2013 11:09 PM PST
Reply Quote
When I first played D3 I thought they were going to turn Tyrael into a Jesus figure by making him sacrifice himself as a human for the greater good of mankind. Especially since he first sided with humans after watching Uldyssian sacrifice himself.
Edited by marshmallow#1914 on 11/18/2013 2:44 PM PST
Reply Quote
11/18/2013 02:43 PMPosted by marshmallow
When I first played D3 I thought they were going to turn Tyrael into a Jesus figure by making him sacrifice himself as a human for the greater good of mankind. Especially since he first sided with humans after watching Uldyssian sacrifice himself.

Hes not dead yet, he still has time to do something heroic and stupid.
Reply Quote
11/17/2013 03:23 PMPosted by Keltest
Again, he effectively said "I quit" to the angels. He believes in the same goals as the rest of them do, but decided that the restrictions they live by will ultimately hinder them. When he became mortal, he severed himself from the other angels. This includes their ability to enforce their rules on him. However it also includes their support, unless they choose to give it.

If he effectively said I quit and their laws don't effect him anymore (as mortal angel) how was he able to go back to them and none seems to have problem with him? Shouldn't the other angels or at least Imprius kick him out High Heaven? When he quit he shouldn't be able to go back at all but he joined them at the end like nothing happen. It's like Tyrael have this button where is say 'on' and 'off' for their laws and he use it whenever he feel like it...

Posted by marshmallow

Hes not dead yet, he still has time to do something heroic and stupid.

Pretty sure more stupid than heroic..
Reply Quote
11/18/2013 04:40 PMPosted by Utam
If he effectively said I quit and their laws don't effect him anymore (as mortal angel) how was he able to go back to them and none seems to have problem with him? Shouldn't the other angels or at least Imprius kick him out High Heaven? When he quit he shouldn't be able to go back at all but he joined them at the end like nothing happen. It's like Tyrael have this button where is say 'on' and 'off' for their laws and he use it whenever he feel like it...

Well, having a hand (albeit one vastly overshadowed by gameplay effects) in saving all that is good in the universe probably helped...

I mean, it turns out he was right, or at least not wrong.
Reply Quote
11/14/2013 12:33 PMPosted by Colt
On the diablo lore, the prime evil's slaying is attributed to the whole group of the playable heroes? as In they did an organized group effort to achieve the task? Just wondered because I cant recall many signs on the game story dialogues that point towards this spontaneous nephalem alliances on both d2 and d3.

Only 4 of them... XD
Reply Quote
11/08/2013 11:42 PMPosted by Eigenscape
If Tyrael is not human, then why does he look like a human?

How does this plot hole make any sense?

Mmm...

Nephilim are son of angels and demons. Humans are nefilim without (or too low) power.
Why angel and demons cannot be like human if their son are so?
Sometimes when a nefilim use its power can its body become lightful like an angel (paladin) or dark like a demon (Demon Hunter).

I think human form can be a sort of start-base for all this creature. Can be realistic that Angel and Demon may be a human "evolved" by Order powers (intagible body no imperfection) and Chaos power (multiple art, eyes, tentacle, ecc.). When they lose their power, connection with ther realm or simply become "mortal", reset this evolution...

Sorry for bad english.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]