Diablo® III

Current Well Geared & RoS

Not a lot of people in the RoS forum, so I'll repost here in general.

So I saw that they flat out said that currently well-geared characters will not be able to ROTFstomp, but they really didn't say how far into the game we could go.

I'll use my softcore barb as an example: He does 328k dmg. For a nice easy, non-stressful game, I can play MP5. I realize that with some of the nerfs coming, I can most-likely expect that when I sign on after installing ROS, that that damage will probably drop to something like 275k.

But even with that kind of stupid nerf, that's still a lot of damage to start off with in exploring the new areas. That should be plenty to destroy normal through regular non-mp Inferno. I mean if they are expecting to give currently well geared characters problems in regular non-mp Inferno, they'll have to require ridiculous amounts of damage that would cause new people to suffer greatly in being able to move forward. Sort of like punishing the newer or lesser geared people by basing needed damage off the best geared in the game.
Reply Quote
right now, 1 str gives you 1% weapon damage.

expect that equation to change as you level from 60 to 70. By the time you hit 70, you will have replaced most of your current gear with gear with 5x as much str on it. you might hang onto your cc/cd items for a tad longer
Reply Quote
Community Manager
One of our big goals with Reaper of Souls is to give players more control over their game experience, and that applies to difficulty as well. As part of that goal, we’re removing the tiered difficulty system (the one that requires you to work your way through Normal, Nightmare, Hell, and Inferno) that exists right now. We’re replacing it with something that’s more open, and (more importantly) won’t require you to play through the story multiple times if you don’t want to.

So, the Normal > Nightmare > Hell > Inferno progression path is gone. Instead, starting in the pre-expansion patch, you’ll find that monsters will level up as you do, and they’ll gain additional affixes depending on what level range they’re in. You’ll be able to influence monster damage, health, and rewards by selecting one of nine new difficulty settings* as well, similar to the way Monster Power works currently. The result is that you should have a lot more freedom in customizing your level of challenge without worrying about multiple playthroughs of the story to get there.

This is just a rough overview of how the new difficulties will work in Reaper of Souls. We'll have more details on the new difficulty settings in the future, so be sure to keep an eye out for them! Also, keep in mind that these could all change before we ship.

(*Right now there’s: Normal, Hard, Expert, Master, and Torment I-V. Currently, Master unlocks at 60 and Torment unlocks at 70, but once unlocked they’re available for all characters on your account.)
Edited by Lylirra on 11/13/2013 11:50 AM PST
Reply Quote
One of our big goals with Reaper of Souls is to give players more control over their game experience, and that applies to difficulty as well. As part of that goal, we’re removing the tiered difficulty system (the one that requires you to work your way through Normal, Nightmare, Hell, and Inferno) that exists right now. We’re replacing it with something that’s more open, and (more importantly) won’t require you to play through the story multiple times if you don’t want to.

So, the Normal > Nightmare > Hell > Inferno progression path is gone. Instead, starting in the pre-expansion patch, you’ll find that monsters will level up as you do, and they’ll gain additional affixes depending on what level range they’re in. You’ll be able to influence monster damage, health, and rewards by selecting one of nine new difficulty settings* as well, similar to the way Monster Power works currently. The result is that you should have a lot more freedom in customizing your level of challenge without worrying about multiple playthroughs of the story to get there.

This is just a rough overview of how the new difficulties will work in Reaper of Souls. We'll have more details on the new difficulty settings in the future, so be sure to keep an eye out for them! Also, keep in mind that these could all change before we ship.

(*Right now there’s: Normal, Hard, Expert, Master, and Torment I-V. Currently, Master unlocks at 61 and Torment unlocks at 70, but once unlocked they’re available for all characters on your account.)

What happens when characters in-game have very different level? Will you average it? Will you take the highest or the lowest level? If someone joins/leaves the game during a fight, what happens to the monsters you are fighting?

So many questions :)
Edited by DoomBringer#1994 on 11/12/2013 7:09 PM PST
Reply Quote
MVP

(*Right now there’s: Normal, Hard, Expert, Master, and Torment I-V. Currently, Master unlocks at 61 and Torment unlocks at 70, but once unlocked they’re available for all characters on your account.)

Thanks Grimiku!

It's good to know roughly how the system is going to work in RoS.
Reply Quote
Well that information certainly helps. Now it's just a guessing game on what current well-geared players can do with their pre-expansion godly gear. I'm thinking at least Expert will be able to be completely cleared fairly easily with a 300k damage character, perhaps Master as well. I wonder how far into Torment 1 we would be able to get with our current gear.
Reply Quote

So..does this mean that monster power is gone?
Reply Quote

Yes.
Reply Quote

What happens when characters in-game have very different level? Will you average it? Will you take the highest or the lowest level? If someone joins/leaves the game during a fight, what happens to the monsters you are fighting?

So many questions :)

I remember it being mentioned at Blizzcon that it's all scaled to the creator's level.
Reply Quote

I'd say it's more been replaced with a new set of "monster power" equivalents (the 9 settings Grim mentioned). The tiered difficulty modes are gone, the monster power is just getting an overhaul but the same concept is in play.
Reply Quote
11/12/2013 06:50 PMPosted by Grimiku
One of our big goals with Reaper of Souls is to give players more control over their game experience,

Yet, The dev team is handcuffing the players in any real attempt at being able to trade, just give stuff away,Or even save it for a friend who can't play all the time. It sounds like less control to me.

The use it or salvage it mentality of the Dev team with this BoA nonsence is crazy.

Part of my gaming experience is having the ability to give stuff away be it to friends or total strangers. I still do it almost every time I log in and have done it since my D2 playing days.God forbid that I enjoy helping random people
Reply Quote

This doesn't seem to answer the question if well geared characters will be able to rolf stomp.
Reply Quote
Community Manager
I'd say it's more been replaced with a new set of "monster power" equivalents (the 9 settings Grim mentioned). The tiered difficulty modes are gone, the monster power is just getting an overhaul but the same concept is in play.

More or less. The reward structure for the new difficulty settings is being reevaluated, as well, so it's not exactly like Monster Power, but the concept is similar.

Lots of the finer tuning details and mechanics are still TBD at the moment, though, so we can't answer a ton of questions right now (most likely just high-level, big picture kind of stuff). Even so, definitely keep asking about things you want to know and we'll work to get answers. We'll either provide them here or, since we're working on a "First Look" article for the new difficulty system, make sure to address everything* there.

*Void where prohibited. Some restrictions may apply.
Edited by Lylirra on 11/12/2013 7:47 PM PST
Reply Quote
11/12/2013 07:45 PMPosted by Lylirra

More or less. The reward structure for the new difficulty settings is being reevaluated, as well, so it's not exactly like Monster Power, but the concept is similar.

Lots of the finer tuning details and mechanics are still TBD at the moment, though, so we can't answer a ton of questions right now (most likely just high-level, big picture kind of stuff). Even so, definitely keep asking about things you want to know and we'll work to get answers. We'll either provide them here or, since we're working on a "First Look" article for the new difficulty system, make sure to address everything* there.

I might be an anomaly, but I like the MP structure. It lets me gauge where I am in terms of gear and play ability. Could you please do a crude comparison for people like so I know about where to start in the pre-expansion patch and then on into RoS? Thanks for helping.
Reply Quote
11/12/2013 06:50 PMPosted by Grimiku
Instead, starting in the pre-expansion patch, you’ll find that monsters will level up as you do, and they’ll gain additional affixes depending on what level range they’re in.

Really get stronger as you do? I HATED that in Elderscrolls:Oblivion ,Thank God they realized how bad an idea that was for Skyrim .You NEVER feel like you are getting any where,Like more powerful. It's like beating your head against the wall it gets you no where.Just makes you frustrated thinking you have finally reached a point to kill something that has been giving you trouble to realize the foe leveled up as you did.
Reply Quote
MVP
11/12/2013 08:03 PMPosted by Agmo
Instead, starting in the pre-expansion patch, you’ll find that monsters will level up as you do, and they’ll gain additional affixes depending on what level range they’re in.

Really get stronger as you do? I HATED that in Elderscrolls:Oblivion ,Thank God they realized how bad an idea that was for Skyrim .You NEVER feel like you are getting any where,Like more powerful. It's like beating your head against the wall it gets you no where.Just makes you frustrated thinking you have finally reached a point to kill something that has been giving you trouble to realize the foe leveled up as you did.

Ok, so let's change the tune of the discussion a little bit.

If you feel that raising the monster's level to match yours is a bad idea, how would you address something like adventure mode where you can travel to any act you desire right from level 1?

How do you make it so that every act feels equal in difficulty, while at the same time allowing a player to level?
Reply Quote
11/12/2013 08:09 PMPosted by DrothVader

Ok, so let's change the tune of the discussion a little bit.

If you feel that raising the monster's level to match yours is a bad idea, how would you address something like adventure mode where you can travel to any act you desire right from level 1?

How do you make it so that every act feels equal in difficulty, while at the same time allowing a player to level?

Good thing Items are what matters, not level :)

I should get my Vitality Hellfire Ring with Average Damage and Life Regeneration ready!
Reply Quote

I do hope you have a difficulty that fits our needs in the RoS. I'm really looking for a challenge in the adventure mode and the neph trials w/o increasing monster health to ridiculous proportions.

As to what you have recently shown at Blizzcon as well as the current datamined information in diablofans.com, i think you are on the right track to making the dream happen. So, in turn i fully support the expansion even your move of making items BoA. Imagining the hunt already makes my hands sweat. ROFL. I think you are doing the right thing.

For the greater good, i say. :3

Also, please never EVER put Life Steal back in the game. It is ridiculously imbalanced and gives people a false sense of character EHP. Cheers! :3

LS is imbalanced video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQKU6OdfrPk
Reply Quote
11/12/2013 07:45 PMPosted by Lylirra

I do hope you have a difficulty that fits our needs in the RoS. I'm really looking for a challenge in the adventure mode and the neph trials w/o increasing monster health to ridiculous proportions.

As to what you have recently shown at Blizzcon as well as the current datamined information at diablofans.com, i think you are on the right track to making the dream happen. So, in turn i fully support the expansion even your move of making items BoA. Imagining the hunt already makes my hands sweat and the fact that the items that i gain are all on my effort (not "ill" gotten from ebay or wherever) makes the feat even more scrumptious. ROFL.

I think you guys are doing the right thing. For the greater good, i say! :3

Also, please never EVER put Life Steal back in the game. It is ridiculously imbalanced and gives people a false sense of character EHP.

Cheers! :3

LS is imbalanced video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQKU6OdfrPk

The Troll Slayer
Sanguine Palladian Autonomous Noob Kicker™ (S.P.A.N.K.)
AKA The Black Brigade; We Hunt For Sport ®
Caution: I'm a dude.
Edited by ZRaiyne#6337 on 11/12/2013 8:23 PM PST
Reply Quote
I have a hard time believing that just 5 lvl of torment are going to be enough to supply us with a long lasting challenging end game. If it's anything like MP it may take awhile to get up high in the MP's on your main char but on the 2nd or 3rd you can jump right in at a high MP (7-8+). I find it impossible to believe that everyone won't just be passed the skill lvl required at torment 5 in a matter of a month let alone the years people want to play these games.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]