Diablo® III

Current Well Geared & RoS

Why not keep the names "Normal/Nightmare/Hell"?
These are iconic to the series, and you're just getting rid of them for no good reason.

Let me try to anticipate the answer: "Players might get confused".

The main reason is that the tiered Normal > Nightmare > Hell > Inferno system is gone completely; the new system works quite differently and we didn't want the names, which have a history and thus an expected way of working, to make players think the system functions one way (when it in fact functions in a whole 'nother way).

Totally fair feedback, though. Happy to pass it on.

They might be confused by it anyways regardless due to the names being changed and it being a new system, so its kinda doing the same thing there. The only difference is in name only and it isn't hard to change the names. You will just add the "you can unlock this by getting to the required level" to the difficulty mode type. I would say that is self explanatory.
Edited by Ryak#1393 on 11/13/2013 10:37 AM PST
Reply Quote
(*Right now there’s: Normal, Hard, Expert, Master, and Torment I-V. Currently, Master unlocks at 61 and Torment unlocks at 70, but once unlocked they’re available for all characters on your account.)

Locking out non-RoS players from higher difficulties is not fair. Basically, you'll take away Monster Power 4-10 without any kind of compensation. I have an MP10 character. Doing low difficulties will be meaningless, and I'm not sure that I want to buy RoS.

Change is good,but too much change will destroy you! This also includes video games like Diablo! Look what happened to the Breath of Fire series. Too much change destroyed it (Breath of Fire Dragon Quarter anyone?), and now there is no more being made. The same thing will happen to Diablo if this persists.
Edited by Ryak#1393 on 11/13/2013 10:39 AM PST
Reply Quote
[quote/]Because now if you're lvl 70, you can run the game in "normal" - all the monsters will still be lvl 70. Before if you were end-game and ran normal and in act 1, the monsters would be lvl 1... so calling it "normal" still will throw a lot of people off.

Yes, we're not stupid, but it's definitely a lot easier to just change the names to help illustrate the changes. Not everyone who plays follows the forums or the website.[/quote]

I see your point, it is completely different and players will need to think of it in completely different ways in terms of what Nightmare means vs what it meant before. But is till doesn't need new dull names.

If it works the way you stated and it functions similar to monster power. then it will be better short cut to understand not only your character but someone else's as well. Where as now you will say you have a paragon 48 that can solo MP5 and people understand about what your character is capable of doing. Now you can say things like i can solo in Hell and if you are lvl 32 it is a bit more impressive than if you are lvl 70. Or conversely they will know that you are rolling a lot of lvl reduced gear.

Bottom line the names still work regardless of the mechanics and they feel right. Easy, Normal and Hard are just so weak and uninspiring.
Edited by Moldy#1338 on 11/13/2013 10:45 AM PST
Reply Quote
Community Manager
11/13/2013 10:29 AMPosted by Ceriulun
Locking out non-RoS players from higher difficulties is not fair. Basically, you'll take away Monster Power 4-10 without any kind of compensation. I have an MP10 character. Doing low difficulties will be meaningless, and I'm not sure that I want to buy RoS.

For clarity, Torment difficulties currently compare most closely with MP 10 and above.
Reply Quote
MP 10 and above.
Above MP10 inferno? Groovy!
Reply Quote
It actually isnt such a beast of a change as it looks like. They just take the mp system and take it to its next level. Right now, we have two different systems to determine difficulty: the old one and the new one. They simply killed the old one and are refining the new one, which is a step in the right direction, since anyhow, now leveling apart from doing the story mode has become obsolete and going thorugh 4 difficulty modes just felt like a chore anyways. Now you dont have to go through anything anymore except for the first time which is fun, but then you can switch, which is a lot better than before!
After you have done story mode for once, the option to switch to adventure mode is just great!

That monsters will adjust their level to the heroes level failed horribly in TES, but since power in d3 is largely determined by gear instead of lvl, it works just fine, since 95% of the time in d3 is spent with finding gear and not leveling.
Sure some might find this very sad, but there is no going back to leveling as part of the core experience itself like in d2. It would destroy the whole skill system. Whehter good or not so good is another question, but since we have it, they are actually making the best out of it, which actually is exactly what a new game should be about, go new routes, explore new ways, not just follow the old ways.
Edited by page#2841 on 11/13/2013 10:54 AM PST
Reply Quote

For clarity, Torment difficulties currently compare most closely with MP 10 and above.

Did you read his post? He's saying that without RoS, you can't play Torment. So there would be no MP 10
Reply Quote
Uhm ... isnt the new difficulty system planned to be in the pre expansion patch as well? I thought I read sth like that...
Reply Quote
11/13/2013 10:47 AMPosted by Lylirra

Madness... <3
Reply Quote
If that's the case, then there is no problem. But that's something some of us haven't seen. I've never seen a level cap raise without an Expac
Reply Quote
Why not keep the names "Normal/Nightmare/Hell"?
These are iconic to the series, and you're just getting rid of them for no good reason.

Let me try to anticipate the answer: "Players might get confused".

The main reason is that the tiered Normal > Nightmare > Hell > Inferno system is gone completely; the new system works quite differently and we didn't want the names, which have a history and thus an expected way of working, to make players think the system functions one way (when it in fact functions in a whole 'nother way).

Totally fair feedback, though. Happy to pass it on.

Dose this mean the first time boss kill counter is going to be reset across the board for all chars.?
Reply Quote
11/13/2013 10:14 AMPosted by Godric
Yes, we (most of us) aren't stupid, but it's definitely a lot easier to just change the names to help illustrate the changes. Not everyone who plays follows the forums or the website.

The people that don't follow the changes they make to the game are most likely people that aren't really invested into Diablo as a series, anyway, so "Normal = low level monsters" won't be ingrained in those people, anyway.
Basically, saying that "it would confuse players" is a nonsensical argument, because the only players it would confuse are the players that have played with the old N/NM/H system, and THOSE players (basically: veterans) will follow the changes closely, anyway, so they WON'T be confused.

In a nutshell: the players most likely to be confused are also the players least likely to be confused.
Reply Quote
ALL items BoA? So if I have more than one account, I can't even trade items among my own characters?! Do you want people to continue playing your game or not, Blizzard?
Reply Quote
MVP
11/13/2013 10:47 AMPosted by Lylirra

Lylirra, I think what they're implying is that you are in a sense denying them access to a game mode that they otherwise would have had if they had not purchased RoS.

However, it would be beneficial to point out that since Life Steal is going away these characters that could once do MP10 are likely no longer going to be able to.

My Barbarian can do MP10 quite comfortably, but that's only thanks to the ridiculous amount of Life Steal that he has. If you take that away then the best I could do would be MP3.
Reply Quote
11/13/2013 10:58 AMPosted by SonofRooster
If that's the case, then there is no problem. But that's something some of us haven't seen. I've never seen a level cap raise without an Expac

You dont need to raise the level cap for the new difficulties, that is the beauty of it, it works exactly the same for lvl 60 chars as for lvl 70 chars, only difference is, that with lvl 70 you will encounter lvl 70 monsters.
So you can play torment as a lvl 60 char as much as you want.
Reply Quote
Honestly, I would simply like to know if the pre-patch is going to have the level cap increase. Like I said earlier, I would am interested in purchasing RoS but I would be pretty offended if they took things from me, that I already have access too. Even if my barb would be raped in Torment, I should still be allowed to play torment, just for the fact that I had access to MP 10
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]