Diablo® III

Current Well Geared & RoS

Wait so, I have a question about the new difficulty settings

I'm assuming they will reward you as MP rewards for higher difficulties, right? the higher i set my difficulty the more exp/loot i get, correct?

I ask this because, when i'm levelling a new toon, i'll gem him out with high tier rubies in the helmet and weapon and a hellfire ring, put it up to like mp3 or mp4, and level like crazy. Will i still get the high reward with higher difficulty settings in RoS?

Also, if I have a level 70 character will that mean I have unlocked Torment for all characters (for example, my monk is level 60 and i imagine getting him to 70, does that mean my level 30 Barbarian be able to level in Torment V difficulty? I imagine in the current state of the game i could handle it cus i have high tier gems in his equipment plus Barbs are OP :P)
Edited by ColdWarHero#1794 on 11/13/2013 2:35 PM PST
Reply Quote
I found a private "story telling session" from BlizzCon that Moldran was invited to. The one who shared this little sneak peak was Wyatt Cheng himself.

Here is Moldran's comment on how the new difficulty will scale and it also includes a short gameplay sample from Kripp somewhere in the middle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmqzOee0mDQ&feature=c4-overview&list=UUho-XTOszUf8vxjy0bm20lA

I love this game. :3

The Troll Slayer
Sanguine Palladian Autonomous Noob Kicker™ (S.P.A.N.K.)
AKA The Black Brigade; We Hunt For Sport ®
Caution: I'm a dude.
Edited by ZRaiyne#6337 on 11/13/2013 4:04 PM PST
Reply Quote
MVP
I was afforded the opportunity to meet Moldran, he's a really cool down to earth guy. ^.^

I wish I could have stayed for Wyatt's Storytime. =(
Reply Quote
Important thing to remember: The new difficulty settings don't have a direct 1-to-1 comparison with each Monster Power level. So, Torment isn't technically "MP 10"; MP 10 is just the closest comparison it has right now. At present, its overall difficulty is probably a little more challenging than MP 10 if you take into consideration dynamic difficulty (the fact that monsters level up with you) and all the combat pacing/skill changes we've made. On the other hand, Master (which unlocks at 60) feels somewhere between MP 8 and 10 at the moment.

On that note, another thing to remember: all these numbers and comparisons are 100% subject to change, especially as we start opening up the game to testing by more people. This is just where they right now. We want players who don't purchase the expansion to still feel like they can challenge themselves under this new system, so -- as an example -- it's entirely possible we might shift Torment to be somewhere around (comparatively) MP 11 and make Master more challenging as a result. It's also possible that we won't need to do this and that the current Master difficulty feels great at level 60. It's definitely not locked down at the moment; in fact, difficulty tuning is one of the last things we'll likely finalize, as so many other variables play into it.

I just hope when you say more challenging you don't mean just more hp and dmg. The more you climb the difficulty ladder the more you should be met by tough monster combinations, new abilities, better ai etc.

I apologize if my post came off as an attack but i really don't want this new system to be similar to the old mp system. It's not challenging to be required to have more dps/ ehp.
Reply Quote
I was afforded the opportunity to meet Moldran, he's a really cool down to earth guy. ^.^

I wish I could have stayed for Wyatt's Storytime. =(

Yeah, Moldran is the only active D3 celebrity streamer i respect. The rest... well, lets just say i am tempted to add them to my collection when RoS PTR hits. :3

The Troll Slayer
Sanguine Palladian Autonomous Noob Kicker™ (S.P.A.N.K.)
AKA The Black Brigade; We Hunt For Sport ®
Caution: I'm a dude.
Edited by ZRaiyne#6337 on 11/13/2013 3:46 PM PST
Reply Quote
I don't understand this at all.

So I start a new character...I begin to level at the lowest difficulty setting. I hit lvl 10 and a message appears "Hard Difficulty has been unlocked" so now I can leave my game and create a new one at the higher difficulty at lvl 10 right? or I could stay in my current difficulty normal and lvl to 70.

This system is sooo much more confusing. Ill hit level 60 in normal difficulty and a message will appear **Master Difficulty has been unlocked** right? how the heck do I know if I can even handle that difficulty? Its supposed to be hard right? But I just unlocked it because I hit lvl 60 that must mean I can kill monsters in that difficulty now right? Or maybe I can't handle master because its above my gear level I would need to run Hard difficulty a few times, if thats the case why correspond the unlocking with level? Just allow players to select the highest difficulty out there at level 1 and get their butts chewed apart. That would make more sense and confuse less people.

I don't think im going to buy ROS these changes seem ridiculous, not very well planned, and barely thought out by the dev team.
Reply Quote
I am certainly confused about the statement that the monsters will increase in level/difficulty as your level increases. What happens in a party when there is a max level player in the room helping you power level, will the monsters then be level 70 if you are in the same party and get lvl 70xp?
Reply Quote
11/13/2013 04:21 PMPosted by metalguns
I am certainly confused about the statement that the monsters will increase in level/difficulty as your level increases. What happens in a party when there is a max level player in the room helping you power level, will the monsters then be level 70 if you are in the same party and get lvl 70xp?

No they will be locked to the level of the player that created the game in the first place.
Reply Quote
So for D3V, we'll not have Torment as the highest difficulty after the pre-expansion patch, right?

Correct. If you do not purchase Reaper of Souls, your level cap will remain at 60.

Also, just edited Grimiku's post (with what I imagine was a typo). Master unlocks at 60, not 61.
Reply Quote
I roughly remember that Non-expansion character can appear in the same game as a Expansion character. The limitation is that they cannot Act 5.

So what will be the level of monsters if the non-expansion char is lvl 60 and the expansion char is lvl 70?
Reply Quote
100 Undead Priest
Is there any real concrete info so far on what will be RoS exclusive. I know about the Crusader, level cap, Mystic, Act.
Reply Quote
Like many people, I have some doubts about the monsters that level with me.

For one, I like to feel I am overpower against the mobs. Also, in hardcore, I want to be overpower against everything.

Then there are the achievements. Does that means that we have until the patch pre-extension to do all the "Kill [name of boss] in Inferno"? And the ones "Complete act [number] in one hour", some acts are not easy (take a long time) to do solo with a level 60 in normal. Do we need to do them before the patch?

Also, if we run into a bad luck and we don't find good items for a long time, we could level to a point where the monsters overpower us because of our lack of material, and no way to farm.

Last thing I see. If someone begins the game and try do to the strict minimum of kills, he could go up to Diablo and kill him at level 6 or so (it is an extreme case). Once it is done, why bother continue to play?
Reply Quote
You may tune the difficulty setting (normal/hard/expert/master/etc) for the game until it fits your char and play style.

11/13/2013 06:26 PMPosted by Ghyslain
For one, I like to feel I am overpower against the mobs. Also, in hardcore, I want to be overpower against everything.
Reply Quote
dont think the blue answered the question here. it's about whether or not people who cheated their way to tens of billions of gold, top gems and 5 max paragon characters will be godmode in next xp.

looks like they will,
Reply Quote
I like the new difficulty changes a lot! But hopefully you have a plan for changing the rewards as well for the new difficulties.

My suggestion is that the higher difficulty, it should be new tiers of loot that drop, not just higher drop chance. Making it more tempting to do higher difficulty. Because right now it's not appealing to do too hard of a difficulty if you can't do it efficiently.

Higher difficulty = Better items that can't drop on lower difficulties.

Thanks
Reply Quote
I don't think that making elites have more affixes would work that well. Some affix combinations are already very difficult to manage regardless of level of gear. If you get an elite that does not follow you in a corner dropping stuff on the ground it can be impossible to get them out. The only answer already is to kill them quick before they drop too much stuff, which gets back into the DPS problem.

Maybe the existing affixes should just be adjusted based on difficulty, Freeze/Jail for longer, multi archon beams, beams that are of a type not covered by AR. Stuff that will make you play differently, not just throw every affix on every elite.

You don't want a difficulty that is impossible to play if you can not kill an elite in under 5 seconds.
Reply Quote
11/13/2013 09:42 AMPosted by Lylirra
The main reason is that the tiered Normal > Nightmare > Hell > Inferno system is gone completely; the new system works quite differently and we didn't want the names, which have a history and thus an expected way of working, to make players think the system functions one way (when it in fact functions in a whole 'nother way).

That honestly does just kinda sound like "Players might get confused" Not that im argueing against it or anything... just sayin.
Reply Quote
11/13/2013 06:41 PMPosted by evilrayman
You may tune the difficulty setting (normal/hard/expert/master/etc) for the game until it fits your char and play style.

Unless "Normal" means "multiple levels below you at all times" or "you are a god in a world of dustbunnies", challenge levels don't in any way impact the problems that some people have with a guaranteed-that-monsters-level-with-you system.

The post you quoted included many things that mean that monsters leveling with you become a vastly different experience.

Trying to blast through an act in campaign mode? A lot harder when everything is in your way and as strong as you, meaning you need top-notch gear (minus a bit for Normal challenge) for that level just to attempt it.

Enjoying the experience in Hardcore with a lower skill level? A lot less enjoyable when you're always kept at the same level as your enemies.

Grabbing a few pieces of gear for an alt before embarking? While I know we're getting Loot 2.0 and all, I can't be the only one whose luck with loot is abysmal at best, and being literally unable to try to get a decent item for that character on a regular basis (without a crapton of crafting mats) means that the experience is very diminished.

Just making a character to play through the campaign, already having the gear to be able to be fine as you go? Better not level too far, or that gear becomes useless.

I've always hated the concept of the matched leveling, since like others said, you don't really have a feeling of progression. Sucking at the game and being unable to play at anything above Normal isn't fixed by leveling under this system, it's actually worsened. Back in D2 I couldn't play Nightmare very far because I couldn't get drops to upgrade and died every time I moved 5 feet. Leveling sure did help that a lot, and that's even more true in D3, since you can get new skills and your already-existing ones power up with you as you go...but now if you don't get the gear to have better armor and health than you did a level ago, you're kinda boned since the game's assuming you are getting that gear, at least occasionally.

Look at it from before the Inferno nerf. A lot of people couldn't do it, and though it was intended to be SUPERHARDENDGAME stuff, people wanted to do it, which led to the nerf and the introduction of MP. However, some people still suck enough that MP0 is too hard for them. On Normal. It's hard to believe, but it's true. With enough perseverance and time, they can maybe find a drop and gain some levels and it'll be the gimpiest stuff ever even to them. But if the mobs level with them? Not anymore.

The concept of a relative level reduction is pretty good to solve the problem for those who wanna have the option beyond just challenge level. Personally, I would like to play with the increased density from Inferno MP1+ on lower difficulties, just to be able to blast more stuff, even if the XP were tuned to actually be the same. If this change to the difficulties adds that, I'd enjoy that a lot...but then being stuck with a ton of mobs that I can never feel truly more powerful over, that'd knock it down a few pegs.

Sure, it'll be hard to know for sure until real details arrive, but Normal would have to be unbearably easy to try and say that it's an option for those who wanna do specific things without the burden of making sure their gear is at the very least medium tier.
Edited by Flenop#1301 on 11/13/2013 11:24 PM PST
Reply Quote
I came across this post through the many blue explainations about the new difficulty system, and I admit I have only read blues for now. But although it may have been asked already, here's a question that seems relevant to this discussion and hasn't been answered if I'm not mistaken, at least in this thread:

What about difficulty-tied achievements? What will become of killing X in Y or Z difficulty? Will they all be merged, will new ones replace them based on this new monster power setting, will having done some of them before they're gone become feats of strength?

That would be useful to know in advance, especially if the last one is the current plan.
Reply Quote
Without AH/RMAH game will be harder + Account Bound Legendarys = almost self found game.. i like it :) af course trade timer will be on items, but i still.. this will change difficult a lot!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]