Diablo® III

Current Well Geared & RoS

11/13/2013 11:55 PMPosted by Rivid
Without AH/RMAH game will be harder

Not neccesarly, tightened roll ranges on everything, affixes divided to categories, no more double rolls, smart drops.
Reply Quote
The main reason is that the tiered Normal > Nightmare > Hell > Inferno system is gone completely; the new system works quite differently and we didn't want the names, which have a history and thus an expected way of working, to make players think the system functions one way (when it in fact functions in a whole 'nother way).

Totally fair feedback, though. Happy to pass it on.

Keep it in Campaign Mode? Have only those..?
Have others in Adventure Mode with complete other rules?

Edit: Playing Campaign would let you choose Normal, Nightmare, Hell from start. Once finished it, it would unlock Inferno which would become super-crazy hard once again. This is to maintance one of many spirits of Diablo III. It may sound corny but I feel it's kinda important. It's a standard you should not ignore. My opinion, and it's all about nostalgia and hidden rules.

Adventure Mode is a place with bending (or no) rules. This is here endgame will be, this is also here you should experiment with other types of ideas, difficulty included. It is here we may see huge changes in the future, while Campaign will be solid-as-is (with patches).

This is what I feel and care about.
Edited by Enkeria#1978 on 11/14/2013 2:42 AM PST
Reply Quote
Earlier when mp was first introduced, I was hoping the system would work around a character's DPS, where monster HP would be directly related to your DPS, but monster difficulty would depend on your mp. So monsters would dish out more dmg the more you upped the difficulty but would remain at a somewhat constant dieing rate, since their HP was dependent on your DPS, too bad it doesn't work this way :(
Hopefully something similar would be introduced, dunno if thats what was stated by the blue.
Reply Quote
I roughly remember that Non-expansion character can appear in the same game as a Expansion character. The limitation is that they cannot Act 5.

So what will be the level of monsters if the non-expansion char is lvl 60 and the expansion char is lvl 70?

The monsters are tied to the level of the person who created the game. You will not be able to join a game that is above your allowed level for one. So having a friend start a game with his level 70 character at whatever difficulty doesn't mean you will be able to join theirs. But you start one, and they can join you.

The problem I see with this, will be tons of confusion, between those on RoS and those on the non-RoS D3.

But I can't see this working any other way. Its either that, or the monsters have to automatically scale to the lowest level denominator. Oooooo Wouldn't that suck in a pub game, you have 3 level 70s going in a A1 - A4 game and a low leveler gets in and the entire game drops to their level.. LOL

No more than likely it will just be depending on creator level, and probably bounce anyone who is not high enough to join it.
Reply Quote
I want some serious power leveling !@#$!

Though it has to be carefully balanced, otherweise people would just power level nonstop to get the guaranteed leg drops from boss kills when they hit lvl 70.
Reply Quote
I want some serious power leveling !@#$!

Though it has to be carefully balanced, otherweise people would just power level nonstop to get the guaranteed leg drops from boss kills when they hit lvl 70.

That's going to happen anyway I think. I was talking about that last night over here:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/10573937319

Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest. But then I think we will be seeing enough drop anyway that this will most likely be a moot point.

What I can't wait to work with are the plans. I have most of them, and hope that they work well as a craft, maybe get some cool and different gear out of it along the way, who knows.
Reply Quote
View profile
One of our big goals with Reaper of Souls is to give players more control over their game experience, and that applies to difficulty as well. As part of that goal, we’re removing the tiered difficulty system (the one that requires you to work your way through Normal, Nightmare, Hell, and Inferno) that exists right now. We’re replacing it with something that’s more open, and (more importantly) won’t require you to play through the story multiple times if you don’t want to.

So, the Normal > Nightmare > Hell > Inferno progression path is gone. Instead, starting in the pre-expansion patch, you’ll find that monsters will level up as you do, and they’ll gain additional affixes depending on what level range they’re in. You’ll be able to influence monster damage, health, and rewards by selecting one of nine new difficulty settings* as well, similar to the way Monster Power works currently. The result is that you should have a lot more freedom in customizing your level of challenge without worrying about multiple playthroughs of the story to get there.

This is just a rough overview of how the new difficulties will work in Reaper of Souls. We'll have more details on the new difficulty settings in the future, so be sure to keep an eye out for them! Also, keep in mind that these could all change before we ship.

(*Right now there’s: Normal, Hard, Expert, Master, and Torment I-V. Currently, Master unlocks at 60 and Torment unlocks at 70, but once unlocked they’re available for all characters on your account.)

This looks like really good stuff to me.
Reply Quote
I like some of this, but wont this get us in a situation where you can suddenly feel less powerful as you level up?

That is something you realy want to avoid with leveling the monsters after your own level.
Reply Quote
Don't think I've posted on these forums since launch, if ever, but I had too here. I bought D3 at launch, played thru the story on normal difficulty, tried to play thru nightmare but got bored. Much the same with D2, I never could find myself playing past Normal difficulty without losing interest.

I love the harder difficulty modes making the game more of a challenge, but having to slog thru the story over and over is boring. I couldn't be happier with this change, being able to create a new character and ramping up the difficulty right off the bat will be a blast.

Not being able to jump to nightmare/hell difficulty, the auction house over drops for best gear, and lack of random environments was why I stopped playing D3 a month or so after launch. Very happy to see the expansion looks to fix all three of these issues. I wasn't interested in the expansion until I just read this post, now I can't wait to reinstall.
Reply Quote
Long story short: The game is going to be even more easy now. This is going to be baaad. Realy freakin bad for the game. We will have lots of diffrent sliders to addjust monsters healt, strength, speed etc. + monster power to choose + one of many difficulty levels but at the same time monsters will allways automatically adjust themselves to our lvl which will actually result in having always the same difficulty. We are getting stronger - monsters are getting stronger. Dear Blizzard, this is going to be ridiculous and players will surely hate you for that.
Just give us three difficulty lvls and endless dungeons.
Edited by Phobos#2270 on 11/14/2013 1:57 PM PST
Reply Quote
I don't like the names Torment I, Torment II etc

Perhaps just use Nightmare, Hell, Inferno, Uber?
Reply Quote
11/13/2013 09:42 AMPosted by Lylirra
Totally fair feedback, though. Happy to pass it on.

I agree, please ask Dev's to keep the names normal nightmare and hell. They are Iconic, please do not allow them to change this! So many positives coming in RoS, lets keep it in that direction. It may seem trivial, but little things like this matter to us fans of the series!!!
Reply Quote
Tbh, the loss of the three iconic Diablo difficulties is a bit a disappointment.

About the new system. It looks OK. Surely it should be seen "in action" in order to see if it really is good. Play the game three times before actually start the fun part is a bit too much. But at the same time I don't like the "monsters will level up as you do" thing, ala Skyrim. Doesn't fit a Diablo game imo.

What the could do is (I am trying to find a solution with the current game, what I wished years ago is lost forever, unfortunately):
1. Remove the level cap. It's useless with the actual game structure. You start a Level 1, you earn paragon points from the very beginning and you can level up to an indefinite number (maybe 999, or 1k is a nicer number).
2. Three difficulty levels, Normal, Nightmare and Hell. The classic.
3. The second and third difficulty not only brings new monster affixes (2 in NM and 4 in Hell) but also turn how the monsters work, or in other words, their standard abilities should be enhanched (increase movement and attack speed, can critical hit you, they use their special abilities more often, etc.). Because now, except few cases, almost every monster feels the same since you only fight against the affixes, not the type of monster (who should become more challenging because of the affixes).
4. Since evey zone has three or more types of monsters, in NM one of them should be replaced with a random type from any act in the game. In Hell, two monstes should be replaced with the same philosophy.
5. All difficulties have 6 difficulty modifiers, from 0 to 5, something like MP0 and above. In higher MP the game becomes really hard, not only because of the monster increased HP and damage, but mostly because of the other modifiers which will be drastically increased. Hell 5 should be playable only with the almost top end gear and with a lot of gaming skills (literally, play the game well). Also, MP1 and above increase the Monster density (like the actual MP levels).
The reward for this difficulties should be: increased MF (+100% in MP1, +200% in MP2, etc.), increased experience (at least +50% for each MP level), additional drop from Champions/Rares/Bosses (1 item for MP 1 and 2, 2 items for MP 3-4 and 3 items for MP 5), etc.
This means that you can play in "Easy" mode all the time or play in a harder way, but with much more rewards.
In this way it would be easy to get rid of the Nephalem Valor system.
6. Any of this three difficulties at MP0 should be made in a way that you should have at least a mid gear and mediocre skills to beat it.

I do not mention the improvements that items, skills, rune system, etc. should recieve. This is just what I think about the difficulty levels. My two cents.
Reply Quote
92 Blood Elf Mage
11/12/2013 06:50 PMPosted by Grimiku
So, the Normal > Nightmare > Hell > Inferno progression path is gone. Instead, starting in the pre-expansion patch, you’ll find that monsters will level up as you do, and they’ll gain additional affixes depending on what level range they’re in. You’ll be able to influence monster damage, health, and rewards by selecting one of nine new difficulty settings* as well, similar to the way Monster Power works currently. The result is that you should have a lot more freedom in customizing your level of challenge without worrying about multiple playthroughs of the story to get there.

Personally, I really dislike this idea. One of the big draws to RPGs , I feel, is the ability to out-level whatever's in your way and go on to finally beat it. While that system doesn't work once you reach max level, I think that any system that can punish or negate the ability to "level up" (by having every monster you fight now suddenly stronger because you gained a level) shouldn't be the only way to play the game. I think it works great for adventure mode since it's the only way to make the game entertaining once you're able to move freely between acts at the same level, but for campaign mode, I would much rather have an option to use the classic, static difficulty levels or a scaling difficulty.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]