ROS Difficulty System

Thought this was interesting

Difficulty System

MP Difficulties are being replaced by 6 new difficulties:
Easy, Normal, Hard, Torment, Demonic, Apocalypse

These difficulties replace the MP system and are merged with the tiered system

You are no longer required to progress through the game 4 times, only once
Reply Quote
I like the second part. To a certain extent, forced re-progression is painfully wrong.

I don't quite know what to expect from the new difficulties - it would be great to to see something like

easy=mp0, torment=5, apoc=10

though I'd prefer

easy=0, normal=4, hard=8.torment=12, d3monic=16, apoc=20 :D

also- been playing naive acct HCSF over on EU w caveman, really fun way to play
Reply Quote
View profile
Good. Now maybe each difficulty will actually do stuff like change the AI behavior, as well, instead of just increasing numbers - which feels like a cop out.
Edited by ActionKungfu#1184 on 11/11/2013 11:18 AM PST
Reply Quote
It will be more like:

easy: mp -5
normal: mp -4
hard: mp -3
torment: mp -2
demonic: mp -1
apocalypse: mp 0
Reply Quote
11/11/2013 11:17 AMPosted by ActionKungfu
Good. Now maybe each difficulty will actually do stuff like change the AI behavior, as well, instead of just increasing numbers - which feels like a cop out.

Won't happen :(

I'd love to see changes in gameplay with increased difficulty as well. Right now, the game just scaling numbers does not make things more interesting. I'd love to see more affixes, more elite density, maybe some bosses randomly roaming the world. Stuff like that.

And with that, up the quality of loot that drops.
Reply Quote
11/11/2013 11:27 AMPosted by BobWitchDR

I'd love to see changes in gameplay with increased difficulty as well. Right now, the game just scaling numbers does not make things more interesting. I'd love to see more affixes, more elite density, maybe some bosses randomly roaming the world. Stuff like that.

And with that, up the quality of loot that drops

+10^10
Reply Quote

I hear you. It is a big improvement over the current system with two difficulty nobs (Normal-Inferno and MP0-10) where we're forced to do 4 playthroughs. However, when all difficulties are being relabeled it's very dangerous for HC as some will surely be tempted to jump into a5 on launch day with their Godly level 60 gear on Torment or Demonic difficulties and may get one shot. There's screenshots of the crusader with 8k strength and 8k vitality, so it is very likely that level 70 mobs will wreck anyone with level 60 gear, no matter how good.

Also, you should come play SF on the US server with me. I thought of starting fresh on EU but all my friends are on US.
Reply Quote
View profile
11/11/2013 11:27 AMPosted by BobWitchDR

And with that, up the quality of loot that drops.

Honestly with AI changes and differences in gameplay, I'm not sure if I agree with the upping of quality of loot dropping. It will just force and compel people to only play the highest difficulty just because of the loot and not because there's different gameplay there.

As it stands, that's the biggest problem with MPs in the first place. The MF and the bonus drops and the key chances, all of that should've just remained static for EVERY MP. Even the exp.

The reason a player would've wanted to up MP is because their health isn't moving or the monsters die instantly in full parties so everyone couldn't get a taste of the fight. But right now, players being "forced" to MP10 because of the bonus drops, giant exp, MF/GF, and the guaranteed keys and bodyparts and stuff, I think that's bad.

If you notice, the game originally tried to make Inferno the "endgame" but they ruined that by putting all of the best items there, anyway. Also putting a gap between item levels per act within it. So players felt "forced" to play in there, and many couldn't so they cried for nerfs.

^This process would simply repeat itself.

We never should've been trying to find items and gear in Inferno. We should've been able to do that in Hell, and Inferno should've been challenging the player without a gear check, and test your knowledge of class control and preparation

That failed. Because it wasn't ever made that way.

At the time, the AH also made it worse, Blizzard had to put Act gaps between item tiers because the AH ended up being everyone's progress whether you used it or not. If someone made it into Act 3, then all of a sudden everyone else could get into Act 3 just because the items to get through the gear checks were now capable of being passed around and multiplied times every AH user. <- part of what made this game easier was not the nerfs, but the gear being in circulation. This is why you now see "brave nephalem" playing in places they were afraid to just 12 months ago.

As far as I'm concerned, players should've wanted to go into Original Inferno because they wanted stuff to be ridiculously retardedly difficult(on good design), not be forced in just because that's where the items were.

It already set the stage of the mindset. People getting items only to put them up on the AH or jsp, not to actually use them. Which is sad.

I don't even know what my original point was, my bad.
Reply Quote
View profile
11/11/2013 11:40 AMPosted by Fury
Also, you should come play SF on the US server with me. I thought of starting fresh on EU but all my friends are on US.

This will likely be the best preparation that we can get until RoS, but since they made no announcement of even ptr/etc etc and they're still finalizing thoughts on it, I still think that we're looking at a year or nearly so until we get there.

Biggest question for me is if they're going to implement skill changes pre-RoS. Is perma-wrath and archon getting killed on mar 18 as well? If not then we all still have a year of EZ mode in front of us, if so then we'll be forced to adapt sooner rather than later.
Reply Quote

Well you might not be "forced" to but how else are you going to take a character from 1 to 70? Yeah the way the game is now you have to play the game through four times to level a character from 1 - 60 but it's a pretty natural progression. How will this new difficulty system really change that? (I feel like I must be missing something here...)
Reply Quote
This is also interesting:

Legendaries and sets will be "soul bound". You can exchange them during the game you found them but not later.
Reply Quote

I hear you. It is a big improvement over the current system with two difficulty nobs (Normal-Inferno and MP0-10) where we're forced to do 4 playthroughs. However, when all difficulties are being relabeled it's very dangerous for HC as some will surely be tempted to jump into a5 on launch day with their Godly level 60 gear on Torment or Demonic difficulties and may get one shot. There's screenshots of the crusader with 8k strength and 8k vitality, so it is very likely that level 70 mobs will wreck anyone with level 60 gear, no matter how good.

I have a spare monk on the US side, FerrisMuler, who I will be bring up for SF play. The reason I went to the EU is so I could do a totally naive account for that SF char (and a no temptation to use the gold I already have for crafting purposes)

that being said, I am definitely down for some (honor system) US SF HC :D
Reply Quote

Well you might not be "forced" to but how else are you going to take a character from 1 to 70? Yeah the way the game is now you have to play the game through four times to level a character from 1 - 60 but it's a pretty natural progression. How will this new difficulty system really change that? (I feel like I must be missing something here...)

for me, it is the fast self-leveling of secondary/alts chars where the non-forced prog is useful. I usually work my alt up to mp10 act1 normal, then jump past some of the content (sometimes you just don;t want to deal w Zoltan Kulle and wasps) to act 3 norm...til i can do mp10, then beat bid D and jump to NM act 1. I prefer self leveling in act 1 and 3 and it sounds like youll be able to jump around (assuming within the given difficulty that you've unlocked) without having to do each and every quest
Reply Quote
Action, I should have been more clear. We pretty much agree with how loot should be discovered. I'll get into some detail here. This is just off the top of my head, so bear with me a bit.

This is how I'd like to see difficulty done in RoS, my personal "vision." For reference, I'm going to assume this style of difficulty in RoS:

Easy, Normal, Hard, Torment, Demonic, Apocalypse

Easy: Straight forward here. No increased monster density or monster level. Everyone and everything is level 70. Monsters fall over, don't do a lot of damage, and resists aren't important. Item drops are level 70 and it's very difficult to find a legendary.

Normal: Increased monster density here, but mobs are still level 70, so the items stick to that range of drop quality. They have more health, do more damage, and resists start to become important. Numbers wise, feels like MP2 now. The same loot drops here as does in easy, but the lowest end of the range is removed.

Hard: Increased density and monsters are now 73. Items that drop are now level 71-73 quality. Monsters are beefy, hit hard, and resists are now required to stay alive. Feels like MP5.

Torment: Same as Hard, only now elite density is higher in terms of pack size and there are a few more packs that spawn in the world. Blue groups now range from 4-7 mobs, yellow groups have 2 yellows and 7-9 minions. All non elites are innately faster (Although not as fast as "Fast" affix is). The minimum range of stat rolls is now substantially higher on all item drops, but the change to find legendaries remains the same.

Demonic: All monsters have a bit more health, do a bit more damage, and resists become a bit more important. Blue and Yellow groups are denser, have 5 affixes, and can sometimes spawn with any random boss from the game. Belial can pop from the earth like the A2/A3 worms do. NO ENRAGE TIMERS (I !@#$ing hate enrage timers). All items are level 73 with much higher minimum stat rolls. Chance to find legendaries is increased. Shrine density is increased.

Apocalypse: All elite are now paired so that there is a blue and a yellow. There are roving "apocalypse packs" that consist of a yellow+blue elite group, keywarden, and game boss in one pack. Killing these groups is a guaranteed legendary item (and key) with a very high end on stat rolls. Non-elite mobs are now imbued with a random affix (meaning all wretched mothers now have 1 random affix, all zombies now have 1 random affix, so on.) Shrine density is increased and have combined effects. Chance to find legendaries is high. All treasure goblins are killed in one hit. Gold find is increased by 200%. All items that drop now have a chance to roll a random passive effect that would normally only be seen on legendaries.

Again, this is off the top of my head, so I'm sure this system has tons of flaws, but this is the kind of scaling I'd like to see in this game. I can't get too far beyond what we have no since there is no change in AI. Obviously I would love to see smarter monsters, but for now, I'm trying to create something that uses the current mechanics of the game.
Reply Quote
What do you need all of the gold for? 200%?

"Killing these groups is a guaranteed legendary item (and key) with a very high end on stat rolls"

IMO, this is the kind of thing that breaks the game. Its the no AH AH. Go there, get geared and then qq when all of the drops suck going forward.

If Blizz did something like this, these packs need invulnerable minion and/or more affix rolls than what they get now so that they can really mess people up.
Reply Quote
11/11/2013 12:34 PMPosted by marmoset
that being said, I am definitely down for some (honor system) US SF HC :D

I gave away all my gold, gems and mats on US :)
Reply Quote
What do you need all of the gold for? 200%?

For SC, repairs when they die 100 times trying to kill these groups. For HC, money to craft with.

"Killing these groups is a guaranteed legendary item (and key) with a very high end on stat rolls"

IMO, this is the kind of thing that breaks the game. Its the no AH AH. Go there, get geared and then qq when all of the drops suck going forward.

If Blizz did something like this, these packs need invulnerable minion and/or more affix rolls than what they get now so that they can really mess people up.

I understand your point, but I don't agree with you. The pack that you're killing to get a guaranteed legendary with very high stat rolls consists of the following (my description wasn't entirely clear, there is a lot going on in my "apocalypse" mode):

All monsters have more health, do more dmg and require resists that are above the current MP5 setting.
A yellow elite group that has 2 yellows and 7-9 minions with 5 affixes.
A blue group with 4-7 monsters and 5 affixes.
A keywarden.
A game boss (we'll say Izual for this random example).
White mobs that have 1 random affix for their monster type that game.

That means it's possible to have 12 different affixes on top of you, not including boss and KW abilities. If you think winning that fight is too easy, you sir are the ultimate hombre.
Reply Quote
This seems like an extension of what was done on the Console. Instead of MP levels the Console has:
Easy
Medium
Hard
Master 1
Master 2
Master 3
Master 4
Master 5
Reply Quote
But seriously, who wouldn't love to try and take on a pack of

Fast frozen avenger hoarde fire-chained arcane vortex knockback teleport jailers sporting molten descrating plague with extra health?
Edited by marmoset#1939 on 11/11/2013 3:11 PM PST
Reply Quote
But seriously, who wouldn't love to try and take on a pack of

Fast frozen avenger hoarde fire-chained arcane vortex knockback teleport jailers sporting molten descrating plague with extra health?

Don't forget invulnerable minions :)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]