Diablo® III

New Ranged Build - Multi-BolaGasm, w/vids

Much thanks to BladeZero25 and fellow Prime Assassins for bringing my attention back to a shock hunter variation I used a while back and helped me custom tailor another effective and fun spec. Like before, I made a tutorial video as execution of said spec is vital (pretty much the case with any ranged spec).

Here's the foundation (Full out DPS version)

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#Wj...k!Yec!cY...a

As shown in the videos below.

*NEW, 12/8/2013*

Here's a more tactical, also considered "Non-steppers" version for more engaging play.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#WjgVdY!Yec!cbYccc

Suppression Fire supplies everything in the points mentioned below, plus disc. Prep helps for "oh !@#$" moments. Order of attacks still apply, however you plant bait the trap to gain that 10% crit chance as it doesn't interrupt your bola stacking. When mobs get close, vault back with trail of cinders while they trigger your caltrop, giving you crowd control, cull the weak bonus, and a fire trail for them to take damage. Suppression Fire provides you with more than enough disc to rinse and repeat this method.

*Side note* Bait the trap does NOT snapshot crit chance, so you will need to be in the trap as the bola's are exploding to get the 10% crit chance bonus, therefore it may be useful to lay down the trap right before the first bola explodes (or before you layer in your first multishot).

Tutorial video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuWLnNHmFqI

Pre-prepped Crypt Run with VocaloidNyan's zero DPS monk mp 10.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7Pelbg9Gwo

*NEW* Solo video mp 10 with challenging packs! (in HD!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbHlhclra6U&feature=youtu.be

Quick key notes to take from videos:

1. This is a ranged build with good synergy. Would not recommend for anyone do not like playing ranged or simply do not enjoy it.

2. ID is extremely potent with higher attack speed weapons, enough to be THE damage dealer when done correctly. Once you go below 2.5 APS, it really starts to lose effectiveness. 2.74 or above is recommended.

3. With the exception of a few rare cases, spamming the hatred spender at any moment in this build results in less efficiency and should be used to compliment ID.

4. Multi shot serves a minimum of 3 purposes for this build, making it crucial to have.

5. The order of attacks determines the outcome of trash mobs.

6. Buff the hell out of bola on gear slots for maximum pwnage, as it is your damage dealer. You do NOT need end game gear to pull this off at your appropriate MP level.

7. Really fun (subjective) and satisfying to use, especially when pulled off well.

8. I called it "DoomShot" in the first video, which is no longer the case.

Thanks for reading/watching!
Edited by DiEoxidE#1987 on 12/9/2013 8:35 PM PST
Reply Quote
How about 6 then sticky bomb? Saw the second vid, not the first one.
Reply Quote
11/12/2013 05:23 AMPosted by Wilson

Because Sticky Bombs don't stack and the best way to use them is to clump enemies.

Though while it will work, it needs more micro-work.

11/12/2013 04:49 AMPosted by DiEoxidE
Quick key notes to take from videos

Quickkey.. LOL. I see what you did there ;)

Anyways.. Good skill synergy as usual.. and it's good to see that you're using Sentries :3 Why not give my Ferrets some love? >_<
Reply Quote
<(^^<) Nyan's nooby monk~
Reply Quote
11/12/2013 05:23 AMPosted by Wilson

I already run a Sticky Bomb variation of DiE's new build. :)

Basically, I like to place stickies on mobs in the pack prior to engaging them with ID ( initial hatred dump). I'll then fire 4 or so Bolas and hit the pack with MS. I highly suggest you play around with Sticky Bomb. It's one of my favorite skills.

Note: The Sticky variation requires a ton of hatred for the following reasons: A) They have 0 delay, thus when your party is really plowing through mobs, the only limit on trap placement I'd your hatred; B) Multishot.
Edited by RedCell#1728 on 11/12/2013 7:18 AM PST
Reply Quote
Lots of fun. Damage to e is really nice as well. but i still cant seem to shake this cold.... :)
Reply Quote
11/12/2013 06:35 AMPosted by RedCell

I can't get it to work, not enough attack speed I suppose with the wind force. Only can get 4? bolas off before everything starts exploding, and/or stuff criss-cross with each other and I can't target the same mob.

Meh, I just need a Calamity.
Reply Quote
Problem with WF is if it KBs the mob you are currently tagging with Bola :P

There's also Impale-Overpen if you want a somewhat stronger yet linear change for MS.
Reply Quote

I can't get it to work, not enough attack speed I suppose with the wind force. Only can get 4? bolas off before everything starts exploding, and/or stuff criss-cross with each other and I can't target the same mob.

Keep trying with your WF. It was fun running Sticky Bomb with Tropical when he used a WF. Sometimes he would knockback a lone stickied mob right into a pack just as it exploded. :)

P.S. With high APS, it's easier to keep up on Sticky placement due to the faster hatred generation.

I try to keep three sticky bombs up at all times, excepting elite fights.
Edited by RedCell#1728 on 11/12/2013 8:24 AM PST
Reply Quote
Also, with higher APS, you can cast Stickies faster >_>
Reply Quote
@DiE

Nice build. What is your ingame AS?
Reply Quote
@ Wilson. It will work with windforce as I usually run a windy and was playing with this last night. If you have a witching hour, put your inna's belt in the back seat for this build. that should get you close to 2.6 aps. I was running it pretty well @ 2.63 aps with my windy and you should be able to shoot 5 shots before they start exploding. Also, it doesn't necessarily put a damper on the build if your bola stack starts to explode prior to your multishot, the snare effect is still going to proc ctw for the next 3 or so bola explosions.
Reply Quote
DiEoxidE,

Nice videos bud! ;)

I did this build as well back in the day.

This build can be great in a group environment, IF there is crowd control help for the DH to stand off the fight a bit to maximize SA (I know 10 yrds is not a lot), ie CS monk, CM wiz.

Though the dynamic of the game changes when there are 4 players in party, more bad guys to control, and keep away from you.

Stun monk is great for the COTW passive as well, I see what you did there in the video, using both buff passives :P

This build for most DH's won't be viable solo, unless the follower provides crowd control ie freeze, stun etc. or if you want to kite all over the place ;P

Running areas like Act 3 bridge. act 2 oasis, and other areas with melee and ranged attackers the DH will struggle to keep baddies off him unless there is crowd control.
Edited by REAPER666#1553 on 11/12/2013 10:48 AM PST
Reply Quote

It does start to fall off with less attack speed. Getting out 4 isn't too bad and you also don't have to stack it on the same target as the bola AoE's will overlap. If you haven't watched the first video, I'd highly recommend you do so, as the second video is moreso eye candy while the first explains how it's done.

11/12/2013 07:15 AMPosted by HammyFitz
Lots of fun. Damage to e is really nice as well. but i still cant seem to shake this cold.... :)

Haha, thanks. This actually works extremely well side by side with the Stone Cold Hunter as you noticed when we played last night before I dipped for that crypt run :P

Quickkey.. LOL. I see what you did there ;)

Anyways.. Good skill synergy as usual.. and it's good to see that you're using Sentries :3 Why not give my Ferrets some love? >_<

I might, :D With the constant server lag, I'm finding myself needing the bat for those tough situations in which i need more CC from Multi Shot.

@DiE

Nice build. What is your ingame AS?

Thanks. 2.87.
Reply Quote
DiEoxidE,

Nice videos bud! ;)

I did this build as well back in the day.

This build can be great in a group environment, IF there is crowd control help for the DH to stand off the fight a bit to maximize SA (I know 10 yrds is not a lot), ie CS monk, CM wiz.

Though the dynamic of the game changes when there are 4 players in party, more bad guys to control, and keep away from you.

Stun monk is great for the COTW passive as well, I see what you did there in the video, using both buff passives :P

This build for most DH's won't be viable solo, unless the follower provides crowd control ie freeze, stun etc.

Running areas like Act 3 bridge. act 2 oasis, and other areas with melee and ranged attackers the DH will struggle to keep baddies off him unless there is crowd control.

Thanks. Keep in mind that this was done with the Ranged game play in mind, so tools that a ranged hunter would typically use (stutter step, vault, smoke screen, crowd control) is already inherent when putting this together.

I typically don't like to rely on teammates for Cotw bonus or CC. Freeze wiz actually deactivates Cotw as well, which is another reason why I'd rather stay true to the order of attacks and multishot timings just in case. This is not to say I don't like teammates helping out with CC, but there will be cases in which they simply cannot be dependent on due to how aggro works and I'd like to be able to handle any situation on my own.

The cold from multi shot usually provides a good bit of CC on it's own. If an individual wants/needs more CC than that, they can roll with multi, SP for disc return, enabling them to add caltrops, smoke screen, damaging vault runes etc without much strain at all. Works wonders with a good follower solo play, though it shines indefinitely in a party setting as you stated :D
Reply Quote
11/12/2013 11:03 AMPosted by DiEoxidE
Freeze wiz actually deactivates Cotw as well

hmmm.... I did not know this, Thanks for this info bud

I guess that's what I get for being away from DH so long :P
Reply Quote
5 bolas out is the magic number guys. First one explodes when #6 hits, that's the magical break for ID. 2.26 will do in a pinch. 2.50 is pretty good. 2.96 ZOMG!!!!!.

Die, we need to make a vid. Get that Windy I gave you out, I'll pull out my max AS gear.
Reply Quote
Now people are playing with APS huh? :P
Reply Quote
I'll check VIDS later, but I don't know how anybody plays 'ranged' in MP10 unless you're 600k unbuffed frankly... you simply cannot kill fast enough the HUGE mobs unless you kite literally every 2-3 seconds :/ TANK is where we always end up >.< I've seen several other DH videos and they're all the same
Reply Quote
I'll check VIDS later, but I don't know how anybody plays 'ranged' in MP10 unless you're 600k unbuffed frankly... you simply cannot kill fast enough the HUGE mobs unless you kite literally every 2-3 seconds :/ TANK is where we always end up >.< I've seen several other DH videos and they're all the same

He never stops moving, ever.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]