Diablo® III

Help me pick a GPU

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Xophax/saved/2OAs

This is the build I've decided to start. I'm having a hard time selecting the right GPU for it. This is my first build, so if anyone has anyone suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.

This build MUST be able to handle Diablo 3 on HIGH settings and it must be future-proof for the expansion. Also, I may start playing WOW in the near future, so I want both of these games to run very, very smoothly, but at the same time not break the bank.

Insight into either getting/or not getting a SSD.

Thanks! :)
Reply Quote
The one you have selected so far, HD 7950, is more than capable of running D3 and WoW on max settings. Both games are not really graphics intense to start with. Make sure you get one with a custom cooler.

The SSD will significantly improve load times (Windows boot up/shutdown, games starting etc) but not the server / network lag.

When you install Windows, make sure it's the 64-bit version.
Edited by Hypersonic#1142 on 11/14/2013 6:13 PM PST
Reply Quote
http://www.logicalincrements.com/

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_value.html
Reply Quote
The one you have selected so far, HD 7950, is more than capable of running D3 and WoW on max settings. Both games are not really graphics intense to start with. Make sure you get one with a custom cooler.

The SSD will significantly improve load times (Windows boot up/shutdown, games starting etc) but not the server / network lag.

When you install Windows, make sure it's the 64-bit version.

I can tell you that a SSD is great for the OS and some apps. I can't go back to a HDD because a SSD makes the OS feel smoother. But Diablo 3, there is something wrong with the game itself. I tested it on a single HDD, a RAID0 and a SSD and no matter what I had it on the load times are the same and the game still had parts of lag or stuttering.

And my system is no basic PC. I have a i5 2500K, HD7970 GHz Vapor-X, 16GB DDR3 1600MHz, Intel 180GB 520 SATA 6Gbps and 2 2TB Seagates in a RAID0. Its something in the game engine that's messed up that they have yet to fix and may never fix.

For GPUs, the R9-280X Vapor-X is a good one or if you want a bit more power the Toxic is faster and runs cooler. You just have to make sure to have a good PSU, 650W or better and at least Bronze certified, I suggest either a Corsair or a Seasonic for the best PSU reliability and performance.
Reply Quote
Just wait for ddr4 to drop, trust me.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
ya but will ddr4 be worth the price?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]