Say you don’t like dodge as a choice of defense then you may not like this post. I have seemed far too many people complain about dodge but so what!? Nothing is going to stratified everyone. I’m not saying dodge is perfect but it is the best way to avoid heavy damage like a critical hit. If you ask what improvements I would like to see, I will tell you we need 100% chance to dodge.
I wanted to know the efficiency of dodge. I want to know how much ehp I gain from adding dexterity. So tested all the possibility of damage intake and I made this list just to calculate the effected health gain from depending my survivability on system support.
We have 4 types of damage in this Game
//If you want to add to this list please test and upload an image with damage number and defense message turned-on (please include monster name).
//All possibilities are tested with 40% dodged and 40% blocked equipped.
(13) Predictable Dodged = 100% damage reduction
- lightning bolts
- frozen orb
- fire chain
- mortar bomb
- molten destruction (self-destruct upon death)
- all melee attacks
- all pinpoint missile attacks (ie. succubus’ blood star)
- stationary/destructible traps (pillar and mini-volcano)
- knockback/stun/freeze/fear (effect is not applied when dodged)
- soul drain (phantom)
- smash/slam attack (causes knockback - dark berserker, demonic tremor, etc.)
- hellion bomb (fallen maniac)
- fire breath (oppressor - cannot be blocked)
(9) Predictable Blocked – cannot be Dodged
NONE – all elite abilities that can be dodged can be blocked
- rampage/charge attack (horned beast)
- poison seed (wood walker)
- chilling orb (dark moon clan shaman)
- spin attack (magewrath)
- fire pool (smoldering construct – only the initial hit can be blocked)
- toxic cloud (toxic construct - self-destruct upon death)
- plagued claw (herald of pestilence)
- assault tackle (oppressor)
- crushing blow (mallet lord)
(*) note: blocked can reduce damage (absorbed) but not effects.
ie. frozen orb can be ‘blocked’ (damage) but the freeze is applied
ie. knockback can be ‘blocked’ (damage) but you are still sent flying
(14) Predictable Avoidable – requires tactical movement
- arcane beam
- molten trail
- plague pool
- vortex (affix deals 'zero' damage as for now)
- baby hornet (desert hornet)
- accursed toxic (toxic smoke released after death)
- meteor (morlu incinerator)
- shadow drift (fallen angel)
- nightmare flame (demonfire nightmare)
- fire/poison well (damage that comes out of the ground)
- demonic mine (one that spits out a cannonball)
- hell spike
(*) note: avoiding = not getting in the way, so don't stand in its area of effect
(1) Predictable Unavoidable – damage impossible to avoid
- reflect damage
Under my assumption the efficiency of our chance to dodge (what you see on profile detail) is reduce to 13/37 ~= 35.14% of its total value, so the gain in ehp is much lower.
Assume 644,360 ehp +50% dodge = 781,683 ehp
I used 95.00% dmg-red but it doesn’t matter for dodge since the reduction value is 100%.
IF you use a shield with 4206 block amount (ilvl63 average)
9+12 = 21/37 ~= 56.76% efficiency
Assume 644,360 ehp +50% block = 756,847 ehp
You can always pick to have more sustained health and let every single attack hit you then try to heal back by attacking your enemies. We all know that the devs don’t like this option as they have removed Life Steal for the expansion.
Or you can play careful and avoid more than 90% of all damage in this game. And if you didn’t know, you can also avoid all crowd control by combining dodge and some tactical movements.
I will leave the rest for you to decide... have fun