Diablo® III

Shadow Power is useless?

It's sad that I have not seen any DH streamer uses it in RoS beta.
Then what's the point of modifying this skill?

I suggest that Blizz remove this skill and design a new one.

Otherwise, change SP to make it useful.
Reply Quote
I tentatively disagree; I don't use SP just for LS, I use it for the utility it provides. Vengeance seems cool and all; but SP does have its perks.

P.S. I'm liking the idea of running the full Ninja set.
Edited by RedCell#1728 on 11/22/2013 12:13 PM PST
Reply Quote
I got your point. But, LS has been the main sell point of Shadow Power.
Once it is removed, no one even try it now. (at least in beta)
Reply Quote
It's hard to test the full Ninja set in Beta.

Who knows how many hours are needed for finding all these pieces?
Reply Quote
View profile
They could do something else with it like globe drop chances, crushing blows, pierce chances, open up dodge to all damage types including DoTs, or even some Nighstalker'ish properties.
Reply Quote
BTW, dodge chance seems to be nerfed.
Reply Quote
View profile
dude that is the plan...

blizz:
you use SS too much - nerf -> result a lot of player don't use it
you use JS too much - nerf -> result a lot of player don't use it
you use SP too much - nerf -> result a lot of player don't use it

seems like they don't want us to play defensive but they don't like seem range doing too much damage before mobs can get to them.

The original design of SHADOW MAGIC was Life Steal
(when they launch the game)

But they scrapped that and are tweaking with % max life return per hit. Look at Maelstrom and Nether Tentacles and Death Toll. What happen to the LS? Gone...

They need to give it a new face and I suggest this
(sneak peek of my working post)

SHADOW POWER
Draw in the power of the shadows, gaining 15% additional attack speed and slow all damaged enemies by 60% for 3 seconds.

Make CtW a signature passive and add the concept of shadow energy/magic into all of our spender.

Impale all rune adds Slow
Chakram needs a slow rune (Boomerang or Serpentine)
EA=NT Slows effected enemies (remove life leech)
EF need to penetrate (100%) and Parting Gift adds Slow, Surge adds Stun (35% chance)
ST=EB or Sticky adds Slow, Lightning Rod adds Stun (35% chance)
Sentry=CoT adds Slow
Strafe=Stinging Steel adds Slow (just like FoK)
Multishot=Burst Fire adds knockback (65% but remove that shell)
CA = Maelstorm Slows effected enemies and life drain (no life return but mob take dot)
Rain of Vengeance needs a complete rework...

Bola Shot slows all entangled target.
This is in their class description but we don't have the skill.

And then we need a Shadow Magic passive like how we already have
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/class/demon-hunter/passive/ballistics
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/class/demon-hunter/passive/grenadier
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/class/demon-hunter/passive/custom-engineering

I would suggest switching
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/class/demon-hunter/passive/perfectionist
or
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/class/demon-hunter/passive/night-stalker
That gives us some kind of bonus after spending Discipline or gaining Discipline.

edit: typo
Edited by KirusAlufras#1739 on 11/22/2013 1:19 PM PST
Reply Quote
I like these ideas Kirus^^^

Right now im starting to see that our class is basically the same in ROS for the most part with Minor DPS boosts and now even worse defensive play.

Blizzard just doesnt know what to do with our class, they nerf everything we ever find useful and then expect us to somehow play ranged with terrible DPS lol.

Sigh* i give up hope in blizz saving the class to be honest for ROS, something tells me NOBODY at the offices actually mains a DH. Must all be barb players or something lol
Reply Quote
11/22/2013 12:17 PMPosted by evilrayman
It's hard to test the full Ninja set in Beta.

Who knows how many hours are needed for finding all these pieces?

It will take some time; and when, after many months, the last piece drops, it will make for a truly memorable moment.
Reply Quote
11/22/2013 12:43 PMPosted by KirusAlufras
dude that is the plan...

blizz:
you use SS too much - nerf -> result a lot of player don't use it
you use JS too much - nerf -> result a lot of player don't use it
you use SP too much - nerf -> result a lot of player don't use it

seems like they don't want us to play defensive but they don't like seem range doing too much damage before mobs can get to them.

The original design of SHADOW MAGIC was Life Steal
(when they launch the game)

But they scrapped that and are tweaking with % max life return per hit. Look at Maelstrom and Nether Tentacles and Death Toll. What happen to the LS? Gone...

They need to give it a new face and I suggest this
(sneak peek of my working post)

SHADOW POWER
Draw in the power of the shadows, gaining 15% additional attack speed and slow all damaged enemies by 60% for 3 seconds.

Make CtW a signature passive and add the concept of shadow energy/magic into all of our spender.

Impale all rune adds Slow
Chakram needs a slow rune (Boomerang or Serpentine)
EA=NT Slows effected enemies (remove life leech)
EF need to penetrate (100%) and Parting Gift adds Slow, Surge adds Stun (35% chance)
ST=EB or Sticky adds Slow, Lightning Rod adds Stun (35% chance)
Sentry=CoT adds Slow
Strafe=Stinging Steel adds Slow (just like FoK)
Multishot=Burst Fire adds knockback (65% but remove that shell)
CA = Maelstorm Slows effected enemies and life drain (no life return but mob take dot)
Rain of Vengeance needs a complete rework...

Bola Shot slows all entangled target.
This is in their class description but we don't have the skill.

And then we need a Shadow Magic passive like how we already have
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/class/demon-hunter/passive/ballistics
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/class/demon-hunter/passive/grenadier
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/class/demon-hunter/passive/custom-engineering

I would suggest switching
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/class/demon-hunter/passive/perfectionist
or
That gives us some kind of bonus after spending Discipline or gaining Discipline.

edit: typo

Kirus you should post your thought into King Bens thread concerning DH's its sad but even the barbs are saying we do need a facelift as a class. (even though they are the source of our problems originally i can respect the fact they realize the class needs help)
Reply Quote
View profile
11/22/2013 02:34 PMPosted by METATRON
Kirus you should post your thought into King Bens thread concerning DH's its sad but even the barbs are saying we do need a facelift as a class. (even though they are the source of our problems originally i can respect the fact they realize the class needs help)

Well, I'm not done the thread :)

I started on Monday but was really busy this week, I'm not even half way through the details, but I guess that is a baseline. It showed a few concern but not real bad problems imo. It adds synergy to builds and what not, if you think it is well said place a link anywhere you like :)

I will do that for KB's thread
Reply Quote
Sadly from the looks of things SS with the healing rune is our only good sustain right now. I can see that + brooding + aid station being crucial to being able to sustain over extended periods of time. The % based healing is the way to go .

I think I'm gonna plan on stacking cost reduction and cool down reduction for that much needed SS and vengeance lol
Reply Quote
11/22/2013 05:34 PMPosted by METATRON
Sadly from the looks of things SS with the healing rune is our only good sustain right now. I can see that + brooding + aid station being crucial to being able to sustain over extended periods of time. The % based healing is the way to go .

I think I'm gonna plan on stacking cost reduction and cool down reduction for that much needed SS and vengeance lol

If this is the case, it is rather stupid. Removing 1 skill (shadow power) and force everyone to use brooding and aid station, where is the improvement, where is the diversify?

At the end of the day, these skills will still be critical. Removing Shadow power gloom because we are too dependant on it, then force us to be dependant on another 2 skills.
Reply Quote
11/22/2013 05:55 PMPosted by RaveaAngel

If this is the case, it is rather stupid. Removing 1 skill (shadow power) and force everyone to use brooding and aid station, where is the improvement, where is the diversify?

At the end of the day, these skills will still be critical. Removing Shadow power gloom because we are too dependant on it, then force us to be dependant on another 2 skills.

thats how blizzard treats our class though lol, just look back to all the skills they nerf, they dont kind of nerf them they nerf them to uselessness lol. looks like they are repeating it
Reply Quote
11/22/2013 12:15 PMPosted by evilrayman
I got your point. But, LS has been the main sell point of Shadow Power.
Once it is removed, no one even try it now. (at least in beta)

Shadow Power Glide is a godsend to those playing range, and those players that are popping SP Glide are doing so more for the movement speed and how extremely helpful it is to keep distance. Also not bad for traveling dead space.

Kind of wish people looked at the actual utility Shadow Power can give rather than just the LS. IMO, LS is just a bonus compared to what it can really provide.
Reply Quote
Shadow glide is the only worth using anymore though for just that the utility lol the rest don't provide enough utility to be worthwhile anymore.
Reply Quote
View profile
I was running perma SP=SG like how DiEoxidE is explain it with my l4n so I free up a slot and don't have to use vault + smoke while maintaining constant 55% ms. IMO what is left of SP is exactly like what METATRON said.

Gloom from 65% to 35% to 15% and maybe 0% in the next beta. Or will it be 0.5 second duration for Smoke Screen. We don't know. But LS does not provide defense it provide the opposite. LS is an offensive ability (you must attack to heal) and it made the game boring because how people were using it. I can see why the devs have removed LS from the game. This is an ARPG when all a player does is attack and move from mob to mob there is no action... Standing on dot while taking multiple hits without moving is not really playing...

But they should have redesigned the skill like many wizard skill they have on RoS. But they are lazy and just gave the class what is next in line, another life leeching ability (you must attack to heal).
Reply Quote
MVP
View profile
I'm still using SP at lvl 70, but I'm only running through Torment 1 and I admit I suck.

I still find it useful.
Reply Quote
Shadow Glide is very much viable IMO, the fact that it'll give high Movement speed bonus? That's enough for RoS.

The LoH would just be an added icing.
Reply Quote
11/22/2013 12:43 PMPosted by KirusAlufras
or

leave NS alone! :@:@:@:@:@:@:@:@

I do really like the idea of changing shadow energy to a slowing affect, but I'd also like to see a lot more ways to add cold damage to our specs. If they had more items with X% cold damage, that would have been great. Seeing as they are removing that affix, I hope they introduce just static Average Cold Damage on things other then weapons. Also make a lot more of our skills deal "weapon damage," at least one or two runes at minimum for every skill so we can make use of the cold damage and CTW.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]