Diablo® III

Transition from 1.0.3 to 1.0.8 - Good Build?

EDITING THREAD (and title) WITH UPDATES - Changed the thread from a "der, what should I do" thread to per haps an ongoing log of my gearing up in patch 1.0.8.

See post 6 for more details.

ORIGINAL POST

Hi there, I haven't played since about patch 1.04 (or just before paragon levels were introduced).

I've been playing for a few hours the last couple of days. Back when I played, my softcore barb had a sword and board build based around frenzy, revenge, earthquake and WotB.

Now I'm using a sword and board build with Bash, Hammer of the Ancients, Battle Rage, WotB, Revenge, and Overpower.

I'm reaaaaly slow at clearing Act I Inferno (MP1) maps.

Any advice on what to do with my gear? Lets say I manage to get 10 million gold or some crafting materials/recipes. What would you do to get better gear?
Edited by sithren#1373 on 11/24/2013 7:40 AM PST
Reply Quote
Welcome back! Best advice I can give would be to check out the sticky at the top of the forums here. Lots of good info on the different builds, gearing, etc. Lots have changed and judging by what you're currently using, you need a serious crash coarse. Probably a little much to post here on your thread :P

Check it out and if you have any other questions, feel free to post. Might take a while for a response since most are watching and studying the new RoS expansion beta that just began.
Reply Quote
Thanks, Sedi.

I've been reading a lot and from what I've read it looks like dual wield or two-handed whirlwind builds are pretty common nowadays. I guess the idea is to:

- stack crit chance and crit damage;
- whirlwind into packs of mobs;
- pop into bezerk mode and keep fury up with Thrive on Chaos.

The only thing I don't quite understand are the variants that use rend without a fury generator (like your build for example). Is the idea to crit so much that Into the Fray keeps your fury up?

Also, seeing as I have pretty piss poor gear, any tips on what I should work on first?

I was thinking of farming for a bit of gold to get items that have strength, vit, ias, and crit chance. Probably going to start with rings and an amulet and next buy either another one handed sword or a decent two handed weapon.
Edited by sithren#1373 on 11/22/2013 7:18 PM PST
Reply Quote
Hmm. Some good goals to have when gearing up are:

50cc
500cd
500ar
50k health
5-6k armor
2.50 attack/sec for both weapons when Wrathed
5.5% Lifesteal

Usually if you can get to this point, you might be able to handle mp10. Of course you don't need to do this immediately but at least you can keep it in mind as you build up your barb. Slack in one area and you wind up paying for it in the future. Many new barbs stack DPS gear, forgetting about Vita then come here wondering why they fail. Then we tell them to sell it all and start again... You should be able to find info up there on gear slots and what they should be used for IE shoulders/chest/legs are your big vita items, jewelry/gloves are your CC and/or dps slots. We've got new crafting recipes that you may have noticed on most players. New shoulders, ammys, bracers, gloves, and chests can be rolled with a minimum of 200 str(or any main stat) so you can see how this will help you almost immediately.

Read up on permawrath and how it works and what you need to have to make it work. I wouldn't worry about the no-generation build like mine until you can master the basics and fury management. No gen would be much to frustrating from the get go, IMO. But yes, running no gen is based on non-stop crits, non-stop moving, and proper fury use.

Ragingkoala's vid on permawrath and no-gen basics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_P7V9AabSlQ&feature=youtu.be
Edited by Sedi#1653 on 11/22/2013 7:47 PM PST
Reply Quote
Thanks very much for this. Especially for the tips on gear.
Reply Quote
BUMP

Bumping my thread to demo my progress so far. I realise this post is probably pretty hilarious to some of the veterans. But hopefully it might help noobies coming back from a long break. Updated title and first post, too.

BACKGROUND

When I left at around patch 1.0.3 I was using a frenzy/life steal build (so would use revenge or rend a lot). My barb only had about 12k dps!

When I started up again I tried out a sword and board build based around Hammer of the Ancients. I had around 18k dps and was able to play in Act I Monster Power 1 zones. It was pretty slow, and I did didn't find it a lot of fun, though. So, I set about figuring out a way to research a build (and gear) that would be a lot more fun.

NEW GAME, NEW STATS

This forum has a lot of vets that have been archiving their knowledge of the game. A lot of it can be found in this thread: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7591980848

After reading some of the stickys, I settled on a whirlwind barb. Ostensibly, to get a permawrath barb. If you are playing Barb, there are a ton of resources out there.

Yesterday I played throughout the day in an effort to boost:

• DPS (strength),
  • Crit Chance, and
  • Crit Damage
  • NEW GEAR

I ended up settling with the cheaper versions of the Immortal King gear.

• Immortal King's Legend Set
  • http://www.diablowiki.net/Immortal_King's_Legend

• Got the helm, chest, boots, gloves, and belt from this set. These were a cheap way to boost strength. A few of these items also boosted my crit chance.

To further boost strength and dps, I bought a very cheap Echoing Fury 1 handed mace. I still
    need to buy a second mace. I'm currently using an old sword that I had from either patch 1.0.3 or 1.0.4.

To boost crit chance I bought new rings and a new amulet.

None of these items cost more than 500K gold. In total I spent about 3.8M gold to get this gear. Within that 3.8M are some items that I quickly replaced.

PIC of new gear and build:

3.5M Gear (63K damage): http://i.picpar.com/JE0.png

5M Gear w/ new mace and Inna's Temperance (84K damage): http://i.picpar.com/zG0.png

Added 2M for new bracers and a ring (97K damage): http://i.picpar.com/eM0.png

Problems and Questions

Still having issues keeping permawrath. Seems like there aren't enough mobs in MP 0 or MP 1 to keep it going? I'll have to keep practising. Also having problems with elite packs when turning up monster power.

I see from videos that a lot of people spam overpower when in huge packs. How exactly do they do that? From what I see overpower has a 12 second cool down?
    Edited by sithren#1373 on 11/25/2013 8:10 PM PST
    Reply Quote
    View profile
    If you would like a starter set, let me know. Its designed around ww, and will be a great one to build off of.
    Reply Quote
    11/24/2013 12:19 PMPosted by RagingKoala
    If you would like a starter set, let me know. Its designed around ww, and will be a great one to build off of.

Thanks Raging Koala (cool name). Right now I'm just putzing around with cheap gear trying to figure out this build so I'm not sure I want to go with hand me downs just yet as I may change my mind.

However, looking at my gear right now, which piece of equipment would you try to upgrade?
    Edited by sithren#1373 on 11/25/2013 8:47 PM PST
    Reply Quote
    Posted by RagingKoala

Thanks Raging Koala (cool name). Right now I'm just putzing around with cheap gear trying to figure out this build so I'm not sure I want to go with hand me downs just yet as I may change my mind.

However, looking at my gear right now, which piece of equipment would you try to upgrade?

@OP it is easier if you try RK's starter set. You can always give it back once you upgrade your gear.

Having the right gear will give you a better idea of how to gear for yourself in the long turn.
    Reply Quote
    View profile
    If you are wanting to try the ww build, you should read up on breakpoints.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6037344497

Basically, you need a certain amount of IAS in accordance with your EFs +APS value to make your nados tick off damages faster.

This is important for two reasons. More ticks= more chances to crit which = more fury and also which in turn means more damage, and more life returned via lifesteal.

You are wanting to get a .23-.25 EF, (I would say a .24 to ease gearing), and four slots of IAS, generally a mempo, inna pants, ias on your gloves, and lacuni bracers. That leaves your ammy open to get massive cc/cd (as this slot can roll the most for both of those). The amount of IAS you need on those four slots depends on the +APS value of your EF. Right now, you have a .21, and need 5 slots of IAS to get to the recommended 2.5 BP.

1.41 EF – 38 points of IAS <---5 slots of ias
    1.42 EF – 37 points of IAS <---5 slots of ias
    1.43 EF – 35 points of IAS <---4 slots of ias (9,9,9,8)
    1.44 EF – 34 points of IAS <---4 slots (9,9,8,8)
    1.45 EF – 33 points of IAS <--- 4 slots (9,8,8,8)

All IAS amounts are whats required on gear, WOTB is already accounted for because the goal is to permawrath, and you shouldnt lose it.

Aside from WW, ANY barb build that has good synergy, requires two things: High crit chance, and battle rage/into the fray. (HOTA, Weapon throw, Seismic slam or any variants of those)

If I had to upgrade one piece of your gear, it would be your ammy. Need to get CC in that slot.
    Stats you should shoot for in slots:

Chest- High vitality/medium+ str/ AR
    Shoulders- High vitality (preferably vit spaulder crafts with 250 vit/ 200 str+ AR
    Pants- High vitality (if using rares high vit/100+str, 2OS, AR
    Boots- High str iceclimbers with some vitality.
    Bracers- lacunis offer two helpful things besides the crit chance, movement speed, and IAS
    Gloves- trifectas with high ias/cc are great
    Helm, If you have enough ias elsewhere, IK helms with AR are a good thing, if you lack the ias, a high str mempo is best.
    Rings- CC/CD/avg/mainstat (sojs for elites, with ww, you can use any classes cold soj, just get high BVE)
    Ammy-we covered this, CC/CD/mainstat

Read thru some of the gearing threads in the sticky, some of the good info is in the posts, and not so much the OP (But the OPs have great info.)
    Reply Quote
    Raging Koala. Thanks so much for this. This is great stuff. Going to let all of this sink in.

Right now I have just been testing the waters in MP 3. Having a hard time keeping WotB going. I'm guessing I'm killing things too fast or the mob density in MP 3 is too low. But I'm worried my damage is not enough for the higher levels. Will give them a try on the weekend though.
    Reply Quote
    11/26/2013 07:50 PMPosted by sithren
    Raging Koala. Thanks so much for this. This is great stuff. Going to let all of this sink in.

Right now I have just been testing the waters in MP 3. Having a hard time keeping WotB going. I'm guessing I'm killing things too fast or the mob density in MP 3 is too low. But I'm worried my damage is not enough for the higher levels. Will give them a try on the weekend though.

Monster density is the same no matter what MP level you run so yes, good chance you're killing them to fast and not allowing your tornadoes to tick enough to refill your fury. If you've got enough sustain, you'll be able to survive much higher than you should but it will take ages to kill. Move on up in MP to test this out. Also, there will be some areas that might be almost completely impossible to maintain perma due to mob placement distances so don't let that frustrate you. Stick to the areas that are used for xp runs and you'll be ok.

You might also want to switch your weapon hands to. Meaning offhand the EF and Mace in your main hand. This will increase your kill speed since your nadoes won't proc the fear when geared this way. The damage range of both weapons(~450-950) is very comparable even though the DPS is higher with the EF. WW barbs really shouldn't look at the DPS of a weapon, just the damage range.
    Reply Quote
    Thank you Sedi, that is very useful.

I had the EF in my main hand because the character page showed a higher damage rating that way. I'm guessing there is a lot of stuff behind the scenes that you guys have discovered and put into practice. I'll try that out.
    Reply Quote
    Doing the same thing on a tighter budget, had about 700k when i left the game at 1.0.3, but ill keep checking here to compare my progress!
    Reply Quote
    11/27/2013 08:26 AMPosted by CragHack
    Doing the same thing on a tighter budget, had about 700k when i left the game at 1.0.3, but ill keep checking here to compare my progress!

I'd highly recommend for you to post in Silver's starter set giveaway thread. Good luck!

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/10701940225
    Reply Quote
    Thanks for the tip :) By the way, I managed to get by InfA2 with relative ease. Bosses were no problem, and most elites were very killable. Cant keep WOTB up at all time, but only because i kill too quickly atm, looking forward to a3 :)
    Edited by CragHack#1560 on 11/27/2013 11:29 AM PST
    Reply Quote
    11/24/2013 12:19 PMPosted by RagingKoala

hey i was wondering if i could take you up on that starter set offer? im having a little trouble keeping wotb up on single mobs...
    Reply Quote
    View profile
    11/28/2013 06:25 AMPosted by CragHack

hey i was wondering if i could take you up on that starter set offer? im having a little trouble keeping wotb up on single mobs...

I actually gave away that set to someone already:/

Single mobs are always a problem, just requires practice, proper breakpoints and fury management.
    Reply Quote
    11/28/2013 06:25 AMPosted by CragHack

11/28/2013 06:34 AMPosted by RagingKoala

Single mobs are always a problem, just requires practice, proper breakpoints and fury management.

Truth.

I've got a few pieces that i could give you Hack, nothing special but an immediate improvement for you. I'll be on and off for the next few hours if your interested.
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]