Diablo® III

Returning DH

Just came back to D3 after a long time, want to farm up to Paragon 100 before expansion (I know we are still one of the worst classes)

Based on my gear what is the route/MP level I should be playing on?

First recommended upgrades?
Reply Quote
These forums are much less active then they used to be :(
Reply Quote
you can get new gear for dirt cheap right now so do that first, honestly the thing about this class is with enough skills you can do any MP even if your gear is somewhat lacking. Its not like the other classes thats for sure lol player skill is the most important.

You can gear up for cheap though so do that first and see how comfortable you feel, i am sure you can do mp5+ easy with a few mil gold invested.
Reply Quote
For getting para 100 it isn't the fastest to just farm MP 0-3 anymore?
Reply Quote
Also for skill wise (for farming): 1) Elemental Arrow (Ball of Lightning), 2) Strafe 3) Multishot low MP?
Reply Quote
11/25/2013 02:22 PMPosted by Fizzie
Also for skill wise (for farming): 1) Elemental Arrow (Ball of Lightning), 2) Strafe 3) Multishot low MP?

those work, the fastest now is group farming crypts on mp10 but thats a whole other story and you need a good team of players. most DH's are pretty much on even footing on low MP so you can use whatever you want, strafe and ball lightning work well due to their AOE and quick clearing time so you can use either.
Reply Quote
11/25/2013 02:20 PMPosted by Fizzie
For getting para 100 it isn't the fastest to just farm MP 0-3 anymore?
Nope. They've increased the experience point modifier some time ago to encourage farming at higher MP's. Now for paragon leveling, it's best to find the MP that's as high as you can handle without: 1. Dying too frequently and 2. Taking too long to kill the monsters.
Reply Quote
Welcome back and just play .. go into public or look old friends. Make new friends list. Try hardcore etc.. Hop into a game with me .. ^_^
Reply Quote
I see a lot of DH's with Calamity now, is it better then a 2S Manticore?

Anyone mind recommend which pieces of my gear I should focus on upgrading first?
Reply Quote
View profile
11/26/2013 07:36 AMPosted by Fizzie

Anyone mind recommend which pieces of my gear I should focus on upgrading first?

Gearing a dh isn't straight forward. All depends how you play it and the skill build you use. Gear choices vary in style. You won't really know this until you spend sometime testing out skills and figuring out what you like and how you want to play it.

For now I would focus on not spending a lot of gold on gear and buying eHP gear items. Once you figure out how you want to build your dh around the skill build then start buying end game items with nice DPS stats on them. Having a solid eHP to work from it will make it easier to build out of.
Reply Quote
View profile

Like i mentioned on top you want to test it out and see what you like better. Both weapons are good and have flaws. Buy decent but very cheap ones or get friends to let you test them out.

Here is what you will be looking at when evaluating:

Calamity = speed, but low dps

Manti = dps, but slow

the one that is better is the one you feel best with. Both are good in general.
Reply Quote
My take on DH gear is this..

1 - are you a grinder and don't care for gameplay and just want fast run throughs?
2- you enjoy playing the game and challenging mechanics etc..

Once you kinda have an idea of what you like the path is easier to see. But you can always have both.. ^_^.

IMHO - First step - play DH again and just see what 3 offensive skills you like and three defensive skills. See how they work together and how you use them in different mob/elite encounters in solo and co-op play. Start with a windforce or rare bow.

Once you have your favorite skills and playstyle down .. we can optimize your passives and gear to compliment ( buff ) those skills.

Hatred spammers like slow, hard hitting Crossbow
Move shoot / strategic players like faster Calamity

Once you fully optimize passives / gear to your OWN DH.. Win Win. You will have a DH you will like to use and play often versus cookie cutters that works great but you get bored quick.

Once again welcome back . .
Reply Quote
View profile
Do MP10 crypt runs. (>^^)>
Reply Quote
My main objective right now is to farm some paragon, but I also heard it may be quicker just to gear up my barb and farm on him :S
Reply Quote
View profile
11/26/2013 08:39 AMPosted by Fizzie
My main objective right now is to farm some paragon, but I also heard it may be quicker just to gear up my barb and farm on him :S

lol you heard right!

A dh is not in general a fast para leveling class. You go into a DH for the challenge to build a solid DH, there isn't much more to it. The goal is to not die and produce a solid dps...otherwise other classes are better in general for most things.

IMO what the DH tops on other classes is in the gameplay. It's not straightforward. You have strategize your movements and time your skill use. You engage elites in different ways all depending on their dmg affixes. Compare to other classes where they engage all elites with the same attack play.

So it's a real challenge to get the DH right. Many who come from other classes give up on it because the rewards are not really on being the OP class but the satisfaction that you made it work.
Edited by KingBenjamin#1485 on 11/26/2013 9:05 AM PST
Reply Quote

I replied to a different post with this so I am going to just copy and paste it for you to read..

" Calamity builds with quiver usually prefer these stats -

Skill bonus on quiver and chest and SoJ ( if you have or like ) - a must have to optimize your damage.

Break points for Hatred generators means more than break points for Hatred spends because you should be using alot of bola/HA / entangling shot etc.. what ever you choose ..

2.74 APS is ideal and most flexible/ 2.86 is best but harder to attain.

2.74 gives good APS and damage ratio per shot..
2.86 gives you 3 attacks per second - this means alot to an experienced player. Loose a little on the damager per shot but gain resource alittle more quicker.

3.01 I don't recommend even though it is the next break point .. Unless you have 20 bil in gold ( even then not worth it) - why? you have to give way tooooo much to get it to the point where your Calamity feels like you are hitting the mobs with a wet noodle.

I highly recommend the 2.74 APS / 50% crits. chance or more ( this one gets better with more )
Then start stacking Average damage / Dex and crit damage - all three are important to the same degree given gear slots available for them.

To highlight this I am going to recommend one piece of gear just so you know what I mean.

Your Nat ring with crit chance ..

86 dex is the only RAW damage dealer. To a calamity the 9 ias and the 5% crit. chance means much less via raw damage per shot.. Ideal stats on the manticore though.

Now lets look at what most high DPS Calamity user equip instead and what it means.

40 average damage plus ( 25 - 50 avg. Nat ring )
xx DEX
8-9 ias
40% plus crit damage

Now remember why the ruby means soooo much to a Calamity. The average damage instead of the crit. damage numbers. So.. with the ring above you are now adding 40 average damage more to the ruby gem / the dex is always good / and now the crit damage is another damage per shot modifier..

So now you can see a huge difference in damage gained in RAW damage.

Note that I did not tras Manticore or Windy people. I am highlighting only the Calamity's way of optimizing for a Calamity w/quiver build. I can optimize for Manticore and Windy as well, but this is not what the OP asked for.

I will admit that 40 +average damage / dex / ias and 40%+ crit.damage/ and 6% crit chance Nat is the best. But to be realistic 20 bil won't get you that ring.

Anyways .. start with that and let me know how it goes. "
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]