Diablo® III

Constructive Views of WD for ROS

◦Wave of Zombies replaced by Lumbering Cold - Now reads: Zombie winter bears crawl out of the ground and crawl in all directions, dealing 252% weapon damage as Physical to nearby enemies (previously Summon 3 Zombie Chargers that each deal 115% weapon damage as poison)

Looks like a typo, should it not read cold damage instead of physical? If my damage takes a hair cut from 392% down to 252% (140% decrease) it better freeze the monsters.

Also tool tip says "all directions", has anyone seen this skill in use? Are we really talking about 360 degrees? Could this be hard to target like that wall of zombies rune dead rush.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3SlRfP80Gk
Reply Quote
12/04/2013 10:24 AMPosted by JonkZ
◦Wave of Zombies replaced by Lumbering Cold - Now reads: Zombie winter bears crawl out of the ground and crawl in all directions, dealing 252% weapon damage as Physical to nearby enemies (previously Summon 3 Zombie Chargers that each deal 115% weapon damage as poison)

Looks like a typo, should it not read cold damage instead of physical? If my damage takes a hair cut from 392% down to 252% (140% decrease) it better freeze the monsters.

Also tool tip says "all directions", has anyone seen this skill in use? Are we really talking about 360 degrees? Could this be hard to target like that wall of zombies rune dead rush.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3SlRfP80Gk

I've seen this in a stream the first day of the beta. Ok to explain picture ur toon is standing in the center of a t or a cross. It looks like 2 bears come out at ever direction up down left right at a very short distance. So when u click to cast it u have bears come out north south east west per cast. I hope that helps I couldn't find a video of it but I def saw it in action and it looks ok. Seems to be about the same range of cob its not a very far range.
Reply Quote
Sounds horrid!
Reply Quote
12/04/2013 10:40 AMPosted by EvoIution
I've seen this in a stream the first day of the beta. Ok to explain picture ur toon is standing in the center of a t or a cross. It looks like 2 bears come out at ever direction up down left right at a very short distance. So when u click to cast it u have bears come out north south east west per cast. I hope that helps I couldn't find a video of it but I def saw it in action and it looks ok. Seems to be about the same range of cob its not a very far range.

ewww :/
Reply Quote
@Surijak

I agree that Undeath is bad and should have been replaced, just not useful.

Lumbering Cold needs a damage buff, doing 25% of CoB is not going to cut it, the AoE is much bigger, I would say x2 to x3 that of CoB. If it's just a rehash of Dead Rush than multiple bears will not stack on a single target (but should be confirmed).

I would prefer if Wave of Zombies came back over Leperous Zombie - I find the DoT plus front loaded damage to be strange to use as it does not stack. Wave of Zombies looks cool but needs to do A LOT more damage, something close to the original rune of 560% weapon damage to compete with the cone bats runes.

Vampire Bats - Needs to do more damage and maybe some tweaking. If it's a less mana alternative to PB then I would say VB + PtV should do something comparable to PB, Another option is to remove the channel upstart cost and increase the channel cost so it's a more kiting friendly alternative to PB. I used to love kiting with PB + Leperous Zombie before the channel start cost increase.
Reply Quote
12/04/2013 11:11 AMPosted by JonkZ
Sounds horrid!

12/04/2013 11:41 AMPosted by REAPER666

ewww :/

yea tbh it didnt look to to bad but it does look like a rehashed version of cob. basically the same principle kill things as they walk into u. ill take a look and see if i can find a pic or video of it.
Reply Quote
It looked cool with 8 polar bears going at once, but the damage is too low and the mana cost is too high, especially compared with CoB, which it seems to be equivalent to as far as range.
Reply Quote
I find the Witch doctor has some RIDICULOUS cooldowns for some of its abilities...you all know which ones (zombie wall, fetishes etc).

I would love for them to take a look at changing that.
Reply Quote
I'm hopeful that some changes will be made to the set bonuses. My reason for this is two-fold. First, the individual set pieces don't have any "game-changing" properties on them, so the "game-changing" properties on multiple pieces should be better than normal legends. Second, the bonuses seem underwhelming with the inflation of stats. Here's my thought for Zunimassa's.

Zunimassa's (WD)
(2) +70 All Resist
(3) + 20 Mana Regen per second. Gain 10 mana per kill.
(4) Fetishes, Toad of Hugeness, and Spider Queen last until they die. +130 mana.
(5) +1 Passive Slot

This allows for the current (important) bonuses to remain. Plus with the increased mana regen on other items in RoS, the 3 set bonus would not be as mandatory as it is today, but it would still be a nice bonus. The 4 set bonus would really allow a pet doctor to flourish, and it would still be of some benefit even if players don't use those skills. The 5 set bonus currently doesn't exist, but I feel like there should be a complete set bonus, and it should be amazing. An extra passive slot may be OP, but something awesome should be available.
Reply Quote
Toad of Hugeness has been mentioned before, but here are my thoughts on it. ToH should add 4000 thorns and taunt enemies while it is summoned. It may not be great by itself, but it would really work well if the set bonus I mentioned above came into play.
Reply Quote
12/04/2013 03:44 PMPosted by quesadilla
Toad of Hugeness has been mentioned before, but here are my thoughts on it. ToH should add 4000 thorns and taunt enemies while it is summoned. It may not be great by itself, but it would really work well if the set bonus I mentioned above came into play.

Yeah, it should have some other effect for sure.
Reply Quote
Instead of making fun of the novelty rune Toad of Hugeness or condemn bad skills or runes, why not look at what makes successful skills popular?

Looking at this chart; http://diablo.somepage.com/witch-doctor/active/plague-of-toads you can see that Rain of Toads has not competition at all. So what makes RoT so much better than the rest of the runes? I would say it is the ease of aiming and proc rate for life on hit (although this may change in RoS). The rest of the runes are hard to aim and don't feel very effective.

Looking at Acid Cloud http://diablo.somepage.com/witch-doctor/active/acid-cloud

This is a good leveling up spell that is also good for low MP lvl mass killing. The most popular rune is acid rain which extends the radius of the spell to 24 yards. Any other rune worth using? what if they all had the 24 yard range, it would make the spell more useful would it not?

I'm too tired to make any more pointless points but we need to look to success to make more success.
Reply Quote
12/04/2013 09:41 PMPosted by JonkZ
I'm too tired to make any more pointless points but we need to look to success to make more success.

Don't give up pal. I really hope these suggestions are being noticed

I appreciate all the feed back so far guys, you rock!!!

Keep it up
Reply Quote
•[New!] Creeping Death - Your Haunt, Locust Swarm and the damage amplification of Piranhas last almost forever

Anyone considering running this in places like FoM, Dahlgur, Desolate Sands, etc?
Permanent locusts = permanent aggro. Just do a full lap of the map dropping piranhas behind you as you go so everything chasing you runs through it and then when you're done, drop totem and fire up the buzzsaw/meat grinder.
There are different ways you can go with this but I really like the design of the passive.
Edited by Surijak#1957 on 12/5/2013 3:27 AM PST
Reply Quote
locust are getting a nice buff to thier damage as well. i know personally sometimes when i pull fom i will pull a huge mob maybe 1/3 of fom at a time and locust may kill about 50 or so enemies before i stop to kill the group. so maybe if locust get the dps buff it doesnt seem out of the realm of possibility that with the new weapons(high dps) locust might be a decent damage dealer, and if thier proc chance is increased they could be good at procing loh to keep our health up, kinda the same way we use them now with life steal.
Reply Quote
back to the top!
Reply Quote
some time ago I made a thread in the european forum about possible skill (rune) changes for the witch doctor

although some ideas might have become redundant I would like to share them with you

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8277077842

I just came up with some other ideas too

why don't mirror some skill runes with those of the wizard - for example give poison dart one rune with penetration and a chance to confuse or change toad of hugeness not to swallow enemies but to cause a light earthquake at its location to stun enemies within X yards for X seconds (it gets a 5 sec cooldown and it would still be more efficient for cc issues than the swallow option)

another idea is to make haunt a primary skill - actually its runes suggest to be rather a week dot that can be easily spread if it would become a primary (and it could be efficiently used to provide resource management)

by doing so corpse spiders could become a secondary skill - it could be renamed to jar of spiders and it should have a damage number on impact and additional damage through spider attacks (this would provide another long ranged secondary option with less aoe property than acid cloud) - another rune could be jungle critters which would be a jar full of snakes and other nasty stuff and so on and so on

I am actually full of ideas since I love the witch doctors concept but since it is so difficult to reach out to the developers this might as well just be another heroic attempt

cheers oco
Reply Quote
12/06/2013 04:18 PMPosted by oco
some time ago I made a thread in the european forum about possible skill (rune) changes for the witch doctor

although some ideas might have become redundant I would like to share them with you

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8277077842

I just came up with some other ideas too

why don't mirror some skill runes with those of the wizard - for example give poison dart one rune with penetration and a chance to confuse or change toad of hugeness not to swallow enemies but to cause a light earthquake at its location to stun enemies within X yards for X seconds (it gets a 5 sec cooldown and it would still be more efficient for cc issues than the swallow option)

another idea is to make haunt a primary skill - actually its runes suggest to be rather a week dot that can be easily spread if it would become a primary (and it could be efficiently used to provide resource management)

by doing so corpse spiders could become a secondary skill - it could be renamed to jar of spiders and it should have a damage number on impact and additional damage through spider attacks (this would provide another long ranged secondary option with less aoe property than acid cloud) - another rune could be jungle critters which would be a jar full of snakes and other nasty stuff and so on and so on

I am actually full of ideas since I love the witch doctors concept but since it is so difficult to reach out to the developers this might as well just be another heroic attempt

cheers oco

Excellent Oco,

Ty for sharing your ideas here
Reply Quote
you're welcome but I think it is important to say that the euphoria about raising damage numbers through the ros patch is quite arbitrary

in my opinion this won't change much due to the fact that enemies health pools will increase outrageously - same for damage - some channels show up to 2 million dps and more with the right gear set up

this is pretty much the effect of eliminating life steal in end game gameplay but changes barely a thing in order to build diversity and functional options that we certainly lack of

as we can see the wizard works fairly different now since critical mass has been dismissed which made it necessary to overlook the skills in order to provide build variance

as we all know life regen and life on hit will become key features for survivability in ros so why not implement some kind of functional support to these into skills and passives (I know we have blood ritual but this is more of a compensational mana management passive that rather diminishes life regen due to the fact that we first have to sacrifice health)

I find that we lack a lot of skill synergy although passives suggest that we have an enormous build diversity but our experience revealed that we have/had only 3 viable end game well-functioning builds (bears, 0dogs and cob)

we certainly lack a momentum to increase thorns damage through skills in order to make fierce loyalty work in a proper manner - so why not give dogs and garg one rune that make them reflect some percentage of the damage they suffer or give big bad voodoo a rune that provides you and your pets with thorns damage while standing in the ritual

skills that need some serious attention (and I am not speaking of raising damage numbers) in my opinion are: all primaries, firebats (some runes just don't work with the new channeling function), haunt, horrify, hex, the entire decay line and of course fetish army - passives: bad medicine, pierce the veil, fetish sycophants, rush of essence, vision quest

cheers oco
Reply Quote
ok ... just some ros build suggestions anticipating some changes of course - but now I will stop (haha)

Crowd control via confusion (spread terror amongst them foes)
make Haunt a primary skill or change function to make it a reliable secondary

overlook Spirit Barrage (e.g. remove Phlebotomize/Manitou rune)

new skill rune suggestion: Corpse Explosion – If an enemy dies through Spirit Barrage its corpse will explode dealing XX percent of its total health to enemies within X yards.

adjust proc chances for both skills

change function of Vision Quest (rename suggestion: Temporary Turning) to give Haunt and Spirit Barrage a chance to confuse enemies for X seconds

since there will be a legendary affix in RoS that has the chance to cause a 5 seconds lasting chaos field on hit which confuses enemies this would be a nice supporting gear to this build

AOE (fire/poison) pet build (proc or thorns)
Burning Dogs and Big Stinker (their aoe damage will be boosted in ros)

Firebomb and Acid Cloud (high proc chance runes suggested)

gearwise: depends wether you want to play thorns or proc build

thorns: get the thorns set and some pet support items
mandatory passive: Fierce Loyalty

I would suggest to use Locust Swarm as well in order to drain health and gathering foes to boost the effectiveness of the build (full set results in 15 yards thorns effect)

proc: there will be a helm with a 30% chance to blind and Azurwrath will be dropping on higher item levels to render foes almost uneffective

or try a mixture

Fetish Master
130% weapon damage seems to be ok but they have to sustain as well

suggestion for Fetish Sycophants: physical damage spawns a dagger fetish, poison damage spawns a dart blower and fire damage spawns a tiki torcher (in addition: lengthen the duration of the fetishes summoned which includes the one summoned through Fetish Army and please give them more survivability)

Fetish Army: since this skill has a very long cooldown and the skill reads »Army« I think that the number of fetishes summoned should at least double

Big Bad Voodoo could get a rune that summons additional fetishes every few seconds

cheers oco
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]