Diablo® III

Constructive Views of WD for ROS

Sure, I read through it but hadn't gotten around to commenting yet, wanted to give it some proper feedback, won't be tonight. Been running ptr looking for any off the books changes they've implemented to our skills, found a few so far.
Edited by Surijak#1957 on 12/20/2013 9:29 AM PST
Reply Quote
I have been observing all the new threads on possible witch doctor skill changes and came up with some other ideas - in my opinion we still have to focus on functionality and not simply balancing the damage or mana output numbers because some skill runes just don't work in a proper manner

in addition I think that we should be able to have a broader elemental damage skill (rune) range - some skills just stick to one element through the entire runes - since there will be elemental damage improving gear in ros I think that this could also be a way to improve witch doctors build/skill diversity

another thing that bothers me is that spirit spells deal physical damage although they are meant to be something different - so why not change the damage type to arcane?

some changes I have been thinking of are for instance

grasp of the dead (deals only physical damage) - give a rune somewhat called "fire pit" that changes damage type to fire and one that deals poison damage (like a "jungle trap" or something like that where poisonous spears appear from the ground)

acid cloud (only deals poison damage) - generate a rune where fire rains down on enemies (fire damage)

wall of zombies - add runes that provide fire and/or poison damage

fire bomb could also turn into a flask of poison to change its damage type

cheers oco
Reply Quote
I've been playing PTR quite a bit lately and have a couple of thoughts to add.

The first is about plague of toads. This skill is a really cool idea on paper, and occasionally I try to put it in a build, but unless I'm using the Rain of Toads rune, I always take it out soon after. Without RoT it's just way too unreliable. Using any of the other runes, you can be like 15 yards away from a group of mobs and only hit on like 1/3 of the toads. Its frustrating when you click on an enemy and your attack veers off in the opposite direction and due to no fault of your own you miss more often than you hit. Completely random inaccuracy is not a very fun mechanic IMO.

PoT would be much more attractive if the in the base skill, the toads were given the ability to seek enemies like they do with Rhen'ho Flayer (new legendary knife: "Plague of toads now seek out enemies and can explode twice"). Boom! Just like that 3/5 of the runes of one of our primary skills would be potentially useable! Also, Toad of Hugeness is so useless in like 99% of situations it should really just not exist in its current form. How about instead, we get to throw one big frog for aoe damage? Kind of like a poison firebomb.

While I feel like the changes to Wall of Zombies are good, there are some things that I think should be further tweaked to make the skill more desirable. I found Wrecking Crew to be the most useful rune by a large margin. If you want a wall that actually stops enemies from getting to you for a short period of time, the taunt is absolutely crucial. Offensive Line is alright. The knockback is good for getting stuff off of you, but the stuff tends to just come right back immediately. I would use it if it had a 1 sec stun or something to keep enemies from immediately coming back to me. Creepers sounds cool, but the little zombie spawns don't seem to really do anything at all. Other than seeing little zombie torsos come out of the ground, I cant tell that its any different from the unruned skill. Maybe have them explode for something around 250% damage to enemies within 5 yards instead? Unrelenting Grip is also a bit hard to justify picking, as the slow is not super noticeable and, again, I want to use wall of zombies as a wall to stop enemies from getting to me, not as yet another skill with a slow effect. We have a ton of skills/runes that slow enemy movement speed. Barricade would be useful, I think, if WoZ itself weren't so hard to accurately position. A good portion of the time I cast it, it ends up facing the wrong direction and providing no benefit whatsoever. Sometimes non-elite, non-champ enemies can inexplicably walk through it too.

There are things I would change about each of WoZ's runes individually, but I think changing the base skill to taunt the way Wrecking Crew does would provide the biggest single boost to useability to all of the runes.

I really like the changes to Locust Swarm. Its no doubt much better than before, but it can still feel a little weird and clunky to use. Its range and spread are so low it can sometimes take a couple of clicks to apply to the first mob, but the range for spreading to other mobs is so insanely higher, once you get it on that first mob, it always spreads to all the mobs in a room. It doesn't make sense that the locusts can't travel more than 5 yards out of my mouth before disappearing, but can jump like 30 yards from enemy to enemy without without a problem. IMO, the quality of life improvement provided by even a modest buff to LS range would be really significant.

Similarly, i think Zombie Charger is a much better skill than it was before, but there are a few things that could be tweaked about some of the runes to make them feel less clunky and awkward to use. Pile On is cool, but the animation could be faster. Mobs frequently move out of the way of it before the tower of zombies falls. Also, Ive noticed that there's a small range (like 5 yards or something) in which you can choose to cast it around you, so there can be some minor differences in where the tower begins and ends, causing you to miss enemies that are inside of that 5 yard range sometimes. Lumbering Cold doesn't deal cold damage :( and the range feels really low. Its super similar to Cloud of Bats in that you have to stand stationary in a group of enemies and spam it, but LC's damage is way lower. Undeath and unruned ZC seem ok damage-wise, but the little zombie dude is so slow and the distance he runs before disintegrating is so low that the runes are pretty impractical to use. It's really hard to hit more than one or two mobs at a time unless you're standing very close to a dense group, in which case there are better AoE skills to use. I like Exploding Beast and Zombie Bears.

Edit: grammar
Edited by duskypotates#1134 on 12/23/2013 10:05 AM PST
Reply Quote
hey reap have you tried messing around with the gambler merchant? the one that gives u a random item i think for blood shards? let me know how this owrks and if you have tried it much.
Reply Quote
12/23/2013 02:26 PMPosted by EvoIution
hey reap have you tried messing around with the gambler merchant? the one that gives u a random item i think for blood shards? let me know how this owrks and if you have tried it much.

So funny you asked this...I have...last night I got a decent Mojo upgrade from her

I have tried weapons and other gear no luck on those ;/
Edited by REAPER666#1553 on 12/23/2013 2:29 PM PST
Reply Quote
12/23/2013 02:28 PMPosted by REAPER666

So funny you asked this...I have...last night I got a decent Mojo upgrade from her

I have tried weapons and other gear no luck on those ;/

how do it work? he has random weapon and item categories that u get to pick from?
Reply Quote
12/23/2013 02:30 PMPosted by EvoIution
how do it work? he has random weapon and item categories that u get to pick from?

If I remember right she has:

1 h weapons
2 h weapons
offhands
armor

and they are only Rares

and they all have "?" on them...once you buy with shards it will show up in your bags already identified.

Ill double check it for you tonight, I havn't used Her much
Edited by REAPER666#1553 on 12/23/2013 2:49 PM PST
Reply Quote
12/23/2013 02:47 PMPosted by REAPER666

If I remember right she has:

1 h weapons
2 h weapons
offhands
armor

and they are only Rares

and they all have "?" on them...once you buy with shards it will show up in your bags already identified.

Ill double check it for you tonight, I havn't used Her much

yea let me know. i though i heard that it could be magic items, or rares, or if u were very lucky it could be a legendary.
Reply Quote
12/23/2013 02:52 PMPosted by EvoIution
lucky it could be a legendary.

hmm I will look at this more then
Reply Quote
Blood Shards and Gambling
Blood Shards are new currency that sits next to your gold in your inventory. You get a few of them by completing Bounties and also randomly through the Horadric Caches given as rewards from Bounties. There are currently two things you can buy with them: Greater Horadric Caches (for 100 Shards) or random items, a.k.a. Gambling.

One of the new vendors offers Mysterious gear. It has random quality and random stats. Each piece of gear costs exactly 5 Blood Shards. The items currently offered are: 1H Weapon, 2H Weapon, Source, Mojo, Helm, Gloves, Boots, Chest Armor, Belt, Shoulders, Pants, Bracers, Shield, Amulet, Ring. Legendaries and Set items have been recorded to drop from multiple streamers, but Magic and Rare gear will be the majority of what you can get. Just like it worked in Diablo II!

this is a quote from diablofans website. i just googgled it. :)

edit:

also reaps can u tell me with an educated guess how much gold do u think will be a good figure to bring into xpac. i know there is no crafting mats and what not, but i wanna make sure that i have a fair amount of gold so that im not scrounging around for little bits of gold once xpac hits. u think 2 bil is good, or i need more, or less?
Edited by EvoIution#1710 on 12/23/2013 3:10 PM PST
Reply Quote
I've found lumbering cold incredibly enjoyable once I got used to playing with it. The skill design basically encourages you to focus all your damage going after the big targets, and the aoe will mop up the low hp lower priority targets in the process. It was even shredding treasure goblins way faster than I can pull off using plague bats. I think it's in an alright place at the moment, possibly some minor tweaks could help with the general aoe damage but it's working like I always wished dead rush did which is great.
Reply Quote
Hey Reaper, Merry Christmas!
I would like to know whether DE still worth to keep for ROS? What are the DE role/usage in ROS?

1st time in my D3 life, I have more than 50 DE and never use it, Lolz.
Pure Exp grinding sux big time, while gonna resist the temptation to buy upgrade gears from AH...
Reply Quote
12/23/2013 05:51 PMPosted by KentLau
Hey Reaper, Merry Christmas!
I would like to know whether DE still worth to keep for ROS? What are the DE role/usage in ROS?

1st time in my D3 life, I have more than 50 DE and never use it, Lolz.
Pure Exp grinding sux big time, while gonna resist the temptation to buy upgrade gears from AH...

Merry Christmas my Friend,

Sure DE is needed for crafting gear, I havn't done any yet personally
Edited by REAPER666#1553 on 12/23/2013 6:12 PM PST
Reply Quote
Blood Shards are new currency that sits next to your gold in your inventory. You get a few of them by completing Bounties and also randomly through the Horadric Caches given as rewards from Bounties. There are currently two things you can buy with them: Greater Horadric Caches (for 100 Shards) or random items, a.k.a. Gambling.

One of the new vendors offers Mysterious gear. It has random quality and random stats. Each piece of gear costs exactly 5 Blood Shards. The items currently offered are: 1H Weapon, 2H Weapon, Source, Mojo, Helm, Gloves, Boots, Chest Armor, Belt, Shoulders, Pants, Bracers, Shield, Amulet, Ring. Legendaries and Set items have been recorded to drop from multiple streamers, but Magic and Rare gear will be the majority of what you can get. Just like it worked in Diablo II!

edit:

also reaps can u tell me with an educated guess how much gold do u think will be a good figure to bring into xpac. i know there is no crafting mats and what not, but i wanna make sure that i have a fair amount of gold so that im not scrounging around for little bits of gold once xpac hits. u think 2 bil is good, or i need more, or less?

I will record this so you can see what's available to gamble

As far as gold?...2-3 bill is a good amount..remember you get some great gold amount from completing bounties and rifts.....I have 14b ish...way too much :P
Reply Quote

edit:

Here ya go bud, and idea what you can gamble, and a short tour of town ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsjpYEqvFdY&feature=youtube_gdata

give it a few min to upload
Reply Quote
@Reaper666.

I have a question regarding the new DoT passive in RoS that extends DoT time to "5 mins" not sure how long I saw post saying its 5 mins.

eg

Locust swarm does 1600% damage over 16 secs

With the new DoT passive

Does locust swarm do 1600% over 300sec (5 min)

Or does it do 1600% damage every 16 secs for 5 mins.

Is it possible to find out how the effect is working in RoS.
Thank you.
Reply Quote
12/24/2013 08:20 AMPosted by JINX13
@Reaper666.

I have a question regarding the new DoT passive in RoS that extends DoT time to "5 mins" not sure how long I saw post saying its 5 mins.

eg

Locust swarm does 1600% damage over 16 secs

With the new DoT passive

Does locust swarm do 1600% over 300sec (5 min)

Or does it do 1600% damage every 16 secs for 5 mins.

Is it possible to find out how the effect is working in RoS.
Thank you.

see isnt this much better than in general chat! :)

also check on this page a lil further down. reaper has a build with locust and creeping death(new passive)

i think its been confirmed that creeping death is kinda bugged right now in beta.
Reply Quote
12/24/2013 08:20 AMPosted by JINX13
@Reaper666.I have a question regarding the new DoT passive in RoS that extends DoT time to "5 mins" not sure how long I saw post saying its 5 mins.egLocust swarm does 1600% damage over 16 secsWith the new DoT passiveDoes locust swarm do 1600% over 300sec (5 min)Or does it do 1600% damage every 16 secs for 5 mins.Is it possible to find out how the effect is working in RoS. Thank you.

Sure I can illustrate this for you, I may not be able to get to this until Friday due to Christmas
Reply Quote
12/24/2013 08:34 AMPosted by REAPER666
Sure I can illustrate this for you, I may not be able to get to this until Friday due to Christmas

That would be awesome. I will check again on Friday. thx.

see isnt this much better than in general chat! :)

Yes it is. :-D

I will try and find the post about the bug.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]