In a year, the Diablo 3 retail price dropped from 59.99$ to 17,99$, and it is foreseeable for the price to drop to less than 7$, its true value, in the next year. The faith of the expansion is much worst. Diablo 3 has no future. It isn't fun to play.
Building a pony level to mock Diablo 2 fans might have seemed fun back then, but when they calculate the income rates for Diablo 3 project in the next 5 years, the smile quickly fades off Wilson's face. We all thought Diablo 3 was good, bought it, saw it wasn't.
While 12 million D3 copies seems a lot in 2013, it is nothing compared to the 4 million copies sold in 2001 for D2, not to mention the additional 3 million copies further sold until today, and the 12 million d3 copies were sold just because of D2's reputation. Now the expansion features darker graphics, the "Death" boss and all as a poor attempt to stop the bleeding. Well.
Like I said back in 2012, the only way to fix d3 is to delete everything and start from scratch. It fails on so many levels that it's like a fried Russian TV set: It costs more to repair than to purchase a new one. In my opinion, the challenge of the Diablo 4 project will be to:
- Not make it like Torchlight or WOW. Follow model of Diablo1 for graphics and Diablo 2 for mechanics.
- Restore skill specialization allowing players to specialize a skill to do ridiculous amounts of damage.
- Change the way the skill looks and how it affects the environment as its damage increases. A high dps skill should be more flashy then that same skill at low dps.
- Restore items like runes allowing players to craft super-items and avoid colorful/idiotic designs. Follow history books and mythology if you are clueless what symbols to put.
- Remove over-complicated gem hierarchy. having 30 types of never used lower gems is idiotic.
- Distinguish attack speed from faster cast rate, shoot rate or even add more types.
- Increase run/walk speed. A naked d2 char runs faster then a 24% frw d3 char.
- Add teleport to all chars, a bit like town portal, as a skill you unlock early in the game.
- Remove all cool-downs. Diablo isn't street fighter, you don't do a super and then win or lose.
- Remove weapon damage so that it doesn't affect elemental damage or magic damage. High dps axes and swords enhance melee skill damage, not magical damage. It is idiotic.
- Restore +skill points bonus as a substitute to weapon damage
- If you can't make better, more fun to play skills, remove WD all together.
- Remove town portal delay, making it instant.
- Make block rate above 90% damage blocked and increase block% of shields.
- Allow items to have % energy bonuses and raw energy bonuses like 200 mana.
- Allow pvp in all areas except town. No player should be safe outside town at any time.
- Restore energy shield, fireball, teleport and all other missing skills
- Come up with CREATIVE new skills. D3 skills don't qualify as creative. Except those copied from D2.
- Restore auction house. Otherwise everyone will get scammed on d2jsp of all their worth.
- Restore join game box where players can select games based on game name, not quest.
- Restore advanced chat functions in channel where a guild leader may have a forum admin power.
- Remove ground control except freeze, or allow items skills that cancel it out like cannot be frozen.
- Remove faster run/walk cap. It's not fun.
- Add mysteries into the game. Like shrines that do...weird things. Include religious elements/language.
- Avoid large bosses that fill the whole screen. It is idiotic. Diablo should be the largest boss by definition, size wise.
- Add gore that looks real, not colorful/idiotic material. Torture scenes like in Diablo 1.
- Restore the lonely, God forsaken place setup of Diablo 1 where you feel alone, not the swapping party setup found in the new tristram where everyone is your friend.
- Restore death penalty of -% experience. Dying on crypt level 1 to go back to crypt level 2 and TP to town is non-Diablo type of practice.
- Remove plagued green-goo graphics and never attempt anything like it in the history of Blizzard ever again.
- Design Cool weapon/armor graphic. D3 items are colorful/Non-historical/idiotic
- Do not design symbols/signs/banners out of bad imagination. Grab history books and add symbolism from known cultures.
- Stop interrupting gameplay to tell storyline. Tell it while we play without interruptions.
- Do not attempt to continue Diablo 3's storyline. Act like it never existed and be creative.
- Don't make random stuff. Create events like the Ancients in mount arreat in D2. Give us a challenge where you can say, God, that was hard. And not bad challenges like the ubers in D3 where we don't get an anni nor a torch.
- Remove account bound items. It is idiotic. Everything should be sold except the account.
- Make the DH FUN like the amazon in d2. MULTIPLE ARROW. Life leech, mana leech.