Diablo® III

An "Intelligent" assessment on ROS..so far

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nghBaQI1XcM

I hate to say it, but this guy makes sense to me based on what ive seen so far.

what do you think?

Edit: I'll probably get crucified for saying this, but it has been on my mind for sometime now.

The reason why games like WOW get so much attention and game content is updated so frequently, is because of the monthly fee they get to fund that game and keep it new and interesting for players, even though I'm not hip on WOW.

I see no reason why ROS can not be set up in the same way to keep the game new and fresh for players. Game development takes lots of money and time.

I for one would pay a monthly fee to see frequent updates to a game I love.

This game will become old and stale if players are not updated often to keep their interests up.

See below on responses from Players, there's a lot of great feedback here Blizz
Edited by REAPER666#1553 on 12/2/2013 8:07 AM PST
Reply Quote
After what I have seen, read and heard about, I don't feel like they don't know what they are doing with this game anymore.

I would pay a monthly fee if that meant they would listen to their players and have meaningful updates but that seems like a stretch too.

I want the best for this game and to be able to enjoy it as much as I did D2. But than again everything we remember from D2 is wrong right? lol
Reply Quote
I think the only reason I don't like the monthly subscription is because it made me feel like I had to play and get my moneys worth. I like Diablo and Hearthstone because right now in my life I can't dedicate my time to an MMO. I can jump in and jump out.

I do agree that Diablo does need to find a way to get funding....maybe an in game shop would be good. Sell some fancy dyes, weapon effects, shrine type buffs etc. Nothing pay to win of course but just some things to add some funding.
Reply Quote
I'm not sure about the monthly subscription because I'm in the same boat as rockon... I might play a moderate amount of time for a week here or there and then step out for a month or two. It's not in my life to be so entirely dedicated to a game. That said, when I am into it I don't want a casual experience. I want something I can theorycraft through and hone and really get into -- something deep. Anyway, I completely agree with the sentiments of the video-blogger. He's got it right. End game doesn't come from endless grinding for near meaningless incremental stats; it comes from competition and striving to improve for some reason (might be to beat some tough Uber, to get some fancy new item, to be able to change your build and try something new out, etc., etc. ... but all those etc's require some backdrop that fuels the need. I thought AH was a kind of stand-in for that, since it meant more gold/$$ that could be used to improve alts or make the main more godly. Anyway, I doubt we'll see any of that feedback taken to heart, but it true human (gamer) psychology at play.
Reply Quote
Sounds to me like he wants to turn D3 into League of Legends.

Not interested at all.
Reply Quote
Monthly fees don't matter. Blizzard had something in form of RMAH transaction fees, each month amount x incoming money for free.

Don't get me wrong, i wouldn't mind paying a monthly fee for diablo but i don't see it bringing the game further.

In my eyes blizzard lacks some understanding what players want and this is because players dont know it or they have too much different opinions. WoW has so many many options to play, you can really get lost into it and every player who like this gametype can find a gem in it making it worthwhile. In diablo you have grind and currently trading, maybe brawling, thats it.
Reply Quote
11/27/2013 09:59 AMPosted by JonkZ

who's he?
Reply Quote
11/27/2013 10:02 AMPosted by REAPER666

Not sure who you are referring to...but what is wrong with LoL? One of the most popular games out there. Nothing wrong with selling customization in an in game store. People love that stuff and it is not game changing.
Reply Quote
Yeah don't get me twisted, after all it is a game, I get this.

You go in kill some bad guys, leave, go on with Life.

I just don't want this to be another grind for all of us, and experience a different smelling Pig.

If the experience is not changed up often....a PIG you will get.

Not trying to be Debbie Downer here, I've played this game too long to sugar coat anything.

These types of discussions will be noticed, what Blizz does with players feedback is a mystery box.
Reply Quote
Blizzard made money out of the AH, and we all saw what they did to that money and how long it took for them to start somewhat listening to the community. With that said, if they did a subscription model, I will still be very doubtful on regular good quality updates. I haven't played D3 since May and when I got back, I was stoked to see the changes they have done. "Surely, something interesting must've happened", was what I kept thinking. Aside from RoS news, not much has really changed within the 6 months with regards of the current state of D3. I will say once again that the community is really the only thing keeping Diablo fans playing, not Blizz fans, Diablo fans. I can't shake this feeling that Blizzard used the money the AH made to fund the progress of all their other existing games/games in development instead of putting it on D3.

I finally got the chance to play the console version of D3 a couple of nights ago and if that's a foreshadowing of what is to come for PC then I will agree with most of the opinions of long time Diablo players. To say the game was easy would be an understatement. I used my friends' toons to test the waters and with his rudimentary trash gear, I was able to make a CM wiz that was viable at it's highest difficulty level. I think it was called M5 instead of MP10. Later on, I tried to play a new toon and by the time I was finishing up A1, I was decked out with more Legs than my first 3 months of playing D3 on the PC. At one point, 2 Legs dropped out of one E. Granted I haven't read everything current on RoS, but after playing the console version and reading as much as I can on RoS, seems the goal is for D3 to be as casual as they can make it while eliminating 3rd party sites by pretty much eliminating trade with tight restrictions and BoA items.

Idk, there's so many ways they can go about RoS, but one thing is certain, they will have to make a decision on whether to cater to the actual Diablo franchise fans (deep engaging gameplay/theorycrafting/end game) or the casual players (where feeling rewarded for whatever time they can put in is important). I just don't think there is a way to please both.
Edited by LordAmsa#1453 on 11/27/2013 11:08 AM PST
Reply Quote
Posted by JonkZ

who's he?

I think JonkZ was referring to Athene.
Edited by LordAmsa#1453 on 11/27/2013 11:11 AM PST
Reply Quote
11/27/2013 10:59 AMPosted by LordAmsa
Blizzard made money out of the AH, and we all saw what they did to that money and how long it took for them to start somewhat listening to the community.

This may have been true at the start, with the wave of bans (bots exploiters etc), people taking a break or whatever other reason, the volume of transactions is way down.

The AH it self is a labor and resource intensive machine.

I don't think that it is producing a profit now, if it ever was.

I see absolutely no reason for BOA gear.

D3 is a social game, running, chatting, trading, sharing finds, testing gears and helping each other

If Blizz ties our hands with our own gear we find, what's the point?..

What if that gear would help one of your buddies or "CLAN" (still don't know what this is :P) members?

For those that want offline mode?... go run console version then.
Reply Quote
a monthly fee?? no way i'd pay for it....

The solution, give us a map editor, screw the economy, gold, boa...
Look at what Warcraft 3 map editor gave..DOTA, nuff said. If Blizz programmers are too lazy for update then let ppl like Icefrog take care of it.
Reply Quote
11/27/2013 11:28 AMPosted by REAPER666
I see absolutely no reason for BOA gear.

D3 is a social game, running, chatting, trading, sharing finds, testing gears and helping each other

If Blizz ties our hands with our own gear we find, what's the point?..

What if that gear would help one of your buddies or "CLAN" (still don't know what this is :P) members?

For those that want offline mode?... go run console version then.

I agree good sir. I guess Blizz's mentality with the hand tying is, "If we don't get to make money out of D3 items/gold/etc, then no one else will".

About the clan implementation, I am on the same boat. A longer trade timer, but only between clan members might help some of the issues that have been brought up. With a prerequisite that the increased trade timer will only apply if the players have been a member of the clan for maybe a week. So this will keep us somewhat happy and still keep 3rd party sites from creeping up on Blizz's turf since players will not be able to just buy a items/gold/etc offsite, get invited to the 3rd party site's Clan for 10 minutes to make the trade. As I said there's plenty of ways to go, but attempting to cater to everyone, might not be such a good idea.
Edited by LordAmsa#1453 on 11/27/2013 11:53 AM PST
Reply Quote
11/27/2013 11:51 AMPosted by LordAmsa
I guess Blizz's mentality with the hand tying is, "If we don't get to make money out of D3 items/gold/etc, then no one else will".

Heh you may be right my friend :/

I've always believed that this WD forum possesses the most intelligent people in D3

Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time.

We are the ones we've been waiting for.

We are the change that we seek.
Edited by REAPER666#1553 on 11/27/2013 12:30 PM PST
Reply Quote
11/27/2013 12:19 PMPosted by REAPER666
I guess Blizz's mentality with the hand tying is, "If we don't get to make money out of D3 items/gold/etc, then no one else will".

Heh you may be right my friend :/

I've always believed that this WD forum possesses the most intelligent people in D3

so wise :)
Reply Quote

Agreed.

That's pretty much one of my mantras irl. I'm not sure how we can do anything tho when it comes to this specific situation. We can make the best policies as a community to make the clan/game worthwhile, but if game mechanics end up preventing some of those policies to work, then it's pretty pointless. I wish the community has more power in game development.

I want to be able to say we are the ones we've been waiting for and only us can provide the change we seek, but at this point... even if all the dedicated and intelligent players were to put their best ideas forward, if no one listens and makes it happen... then we will be left like you said, with a different smell, but at the end; still the same pig.
Reply Quote
11/27/2013 06:02 AMPosted by REAPER666
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nghBaQI1XcM

I hate to say it, but this guy makes sense to me based on what ive seen so far.

what do you think?

Edit: I'll probably get crucified for saying this, but it has been on my mind for sometime now.

The reason why games like WOW get so much attention and game content is updated so frequently, is because of the monthly fee they get to fund that game and keep it new and interesting for players, even though I'm not hip on WOW.

I see no reason why ROS can not be set up in the same way to keep the game new and fresh for players. Game development takes lots of money and time.

I for one would pay a monthly fee to see frequent updates to a game I love.

This game will become old and stale if players are not updated often to keep their interests up.

Trading must be revisited period.

Well his thoughts are probably spot on. I am not sure how an AH can work without having issues with 3rd party sites yet if thats the way it will roll and after trying out any new skills and the new crusader I may end up playing way more HC over SC if it is that boring. HC may become the new challenge yet I think the game will die after a bit without some major thought put into end game issues.

Nice find on the feedback.
Reply Quote
What I've heard hasn't impressed me. Watched the video and seems like the same old Blizz BS in RoS.

How are people supposed to customize builds without trading?? Why doesn't Blizz figure this out?? Why doesn't Blizz communicate with their gaming community?

I think D3 is going to be a console game and that's it.

I'll probably be selling my gear soon. If anyone wants any of it, hit me up with a friend request.
Reply Quote
Mark my words, this conversation will appear again.

Throwing a bunch of shiny new Legs at us is not the solution.

The illusion of the new car smell of the shiny new gear we are seeing will soon have its Veil lifted, If there is not an "END GAME" approach to ROS.

I see 400-500 (over optimistic imo) hrs tops of play before a player is back to a "grind" game at current state.
Edited by REAPER666#1553 on 11/27/2013 2:16 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]