Diablo® III

An "Intelligent" assessment on ROS..so far

12/11/2013 09:22 PMPosted by REAPER666
I support this idea Paul, though I wonder if the servers and our computers can handle the load from the increased density?

I wonder if this will also help our machines handle increased density for 6 player RoS (from heyguyslol's 0Dog Dying Breed thread):

12/11/2013 12:59 PMPosted by MCP
I made a thread about the physics engine in the mac support forum, showing how the dogs' body parts cripple the FPS. (And breakable objects)

The response I got from another forum member was that everything is single threaded and so the physics engine starts stealing all of the CPU time.

If they make it multi-threaded, it will significantly reduce the lag for the other processes so FPS reduction should be much lower.

I don't have an out-dated computer, they used out-dated software design.

I'm no computer whiz, but making it multi-threaded makes sense and might also answer some fps issues with 6 player RoS.
Edited by LordAmsa#1453 on 12/11/2013 10:07 PM PST
Reply Quote
12/11/2013 10:06 PMPosted by LordAmsa
'm no computer whiz, but making it multi-threaded makes sense and might also answer some fps issues with 6 player RoS.

Yeah I'm pretty dumb when it comes to computer workings :/

Sounds like MCP is making a good suggestion...no clue what hes saying but hey why not :P
Edited by REAPER666#1553 on 12/12/2013 5:56 AM PST
Reply Quote
I was originally going to post this as it's own thread, but I remembered this thread and figured it'd be best to keep things tidy.

I know collectors are rare nowadays in D3, but since D1 I've always collected Uniques, Cursed items, Set items etc. This has not been a prob all the way to D2:LoD since we can create as many accounts as we need. D3 launched and we got a shared stash, but in exchange limited storage. Anyone know if there's any talks addressing this in RoS? I haven't been able to find any info on it.
Reply Quote
I admit that I haven't read this entire thread. Most people have been talking about the end game. As an avid Diablo 2 player (10 years) what kept me going was the dueling system and what the community did with it. It was the game for me. After awhile you will get your character strong enough to kill the monsters. You just have to invest the time. What is not easy is killing another player's best character. Public games were chaos and I had a lot of fun with it. Multiple characters against mine was always a challenge. I loved teaming up with my brother and taking on an entire game of random people.

What I also enjoyed was dueling ladders and tournaments. I really miss that aspect from this game. I also get frustrated by not being able to travel between acts while I'm in a game.
Reply Quote
12/02/2013 10:19 PMPosted by LordAmsa
Let's talk content then. Aside from all the itemization/trade talk, what other content would you guys like to see in RoS?I for one, would like to see a "World Event" similar to the one introduced by D2. Only this time, there should be more variation to the world events instead of just that one. It can be triggered by let's say after x number of gold has been spent gambling through NPCs, x number of Treasure Goblins have been slain, x number of WD slain in HC, it can be anything really. Then once the pool is full, any one of these world events can happen:Heaven & Hell = Angels fall down from the sky. Demons climb up from the ground. This onslaught will happen for x number of minutes at which in those minutes there will be an increase in drop rate and quality (could be items, gems, crafting materials, anything)Bow to the Goblin King = nothing but treasure goblins will spawn for x number of minutes. When timer runs out, time to bow down.Moo = had to do itMountain of Hepheastus = a new map can be accessed called the Mountain of Hepheastus. Mountain that arose from the depths of the Burning Hells. Monsters get harder the higher you climb it. At the top... is Hepheastus' Forge and Hammer. I have a few ideas what that entails, and I'm pretty sure you guys can come up with a lot of nice ideas for the reward as well.I can go on and on. What's neat about this is Blizz can come up with new World Events monthly to add to the list so the older the game goes on, the more random the World Events will be. It will also be awesome if the World Events have a timer, so you won't get the same World Events in a row.***Edit***Forgot to add that since you won't see the same world events for awhile, when you get to do a particular World Event the 2nd, 3rd, 4th time... it just gets more interesting and harder. In such a way that players will question if they can do the same World Event the next time it happens. This will be based on who created the game. So if you created the game and a World Event is triggered, difficulty will be based on how many times you have done said event, how well you did (eg how fast), etc. Hope you got a good crew running with you :) But if you did poorly the last time, then ofc the difficulty will be more forgiving, closer to how hard it was the last time you attempted.Good part is the trigger for the events can be different ones too, with new triggers being added at a lower rate than new World Events. So this should scale the game pretty well.Rewards can also be very open. It can be just that better drop rate while the event is happening or it could be a temporary buff that you and your group get for x number of hours/days. Buff can also be anything from -% damage taken (Vamp Gaze days), immunity to a particular element for x hours (pve only), or just something as simple as a pretty little glow on your character for a week. That last one was my lady's suggestion lol.Anyway, I think this will add a different kind of randomness to the gameplay of RoS. Since no one knows when and what the event is going to be.

Buddy this got buried in this thread and I did not see until now...Wonderful ideas my friend!!

Awesome ;)

edit: you should expound on this and make a thread in ROS discussions pal
Edited by REAPER666#1553 on 12/16/2013 12:17 PM PST
Reply Quote
12/16/2013 12:16 PMPosted by REAPER666
Let's talk content then. Aside from all the itemization/trade talk, what other content would you guys like to see in RoS?I for one, would like to see a "World Event" similar to the one introduced by D2. Only this time, there should be more variation to the world events instead of just that one. It can be triggered by let's say after x number of gold has been spent gambling through NPCs, x number of Treasure Goblins have been slain, x number of WD slain in HC, it can be anything really. Then once the pool is full, any one of these world events can happen:Heaven & Hell = Angels fall down from the sky. Demons climb up from the ground. This onslaught will happen for x number of minutes at which in those minutes there will be an increase in drop rate and quality (could be items, gems, crafting materials, anything)Bow to the Goblin King = nothing but treasure goblins will spawn for x number of minutes. When timer runs out, time to bow down.Moo = had to do itMountain of Hepheastus = a new map can be accessed called the Mountain of Hepheastus. Mountain that arose from the depths of the Burning Hells. Monsters get harder the higher you climb it. At the top... is Hepheastus' Forge and Hammer. I have a few ideas what that entails, and I'm pretty sure you guys can come up with a lot of nice ideas for the reward as well.I can go on and on. What's neat about this is Blizz can come up with new World Events monthly to add to the list so the older the game goes on, the more random the World Events will be. It will also be awesome if the World Events have a timer, so you won't get the same World Events in a row.***Edit***Forgot to add that since you won't see the same world events for awhile, when you get to do a particular World Event the 2nd, 3rd, 4th time... it just gets more interesting and harder. In such a way that players will question if they can do the same World Event the next time it happens. This will be based on who created the game. So if you created the game and a World Event is triggered, difficulty will be based on how many times you have done said event, how well you did (eg how fast), etc. Hope you got a good crew running with you :) But if you did poorly the last time, then ofc the difficulty will be more forgiving, closer to how hard it was the last time you attempted.Good part is the trigger for the events can be different ones too, with new triggers being added at a lower rate than new World Events. So this should scale the game pretty well.Rewards can also be very open. It can be just that better drop rate while the event is happening or it could be a temporary buff that you and your group get for x number of hours/days. Buff can also be anything from -% damage taken (Vamp Gaze days), immunity to a particular element for x hours (pve only), or just something as simple as a pretty little glow on your character for a week. That last one was my lady's suggestion lol.Anyway, I think this will add a different kind of randomness to the gameplay of RoS. Since no one knows when and what the event is going to be.

Buddy this got buried in this thread and I did not see until now...Wonderful ideas my friend!!

Awesome ;)

+1

this would be a cool feat. im not sure if any of u guys ver played halo reach or cod ghosts. but in the games there was a list of accomplishments to do. in ghosts the list is for a whole month with about 40-50 things to do. when u complete of of the objectives it completes it on the list and give u xp and a squad point(used for unlocks like weapons). in halo reach it was pretty much the same thing but it had daily/weekly/months challenges. so there would be like 3-4 things per day u could complete for small xp. then there was a lil harder weekly challenge for more xp, followed by a tougher challenge for the month that granted even more xp upon completing. so basically each day there was a new list of daily challenges, then at the beginning of the week(for halo it was Tuesday) a new weekly challenge would start and the 1st day of the month a new challenge would start etc.) this could be a really cool thing to implement let me give an example.

ex:

daily challenges:
1: kill each key warden in all acts any difficulty any game mode- 50,000 xp/ 100k gold
2: kill a total of 650 enemys any difficulty any game mode- 50,000xp/ 100k gold
3: kill diablo in under 5 min expert difficulty or higher any game mode- 50,000xp/100k gold

weekly challenge:
1: play a total of 15 hours any difficulty any game mode- 200k xp/5 blood shards/50k gold

monthly challenge:
1: kill a total of 500 elites/champions/unique enemys any difficulty and game mode- 1mil xp/1 Horadric goodie bag/ 200k gold.

some thing like this could give players atleast a goal to accomplish per day/week and even per month.
Reply Quote
The ideas above are fantastic. I would love to see some of those implemented.
Reply Quote
12/16/2013 12:16 PMPosted by REAPER666

Awesome ;)

Appreciate it Reap and Evo. I originally planned on expanding on this and posting in RoS forum, but I was waiting for it to get traction among my WD peers, but it never did.

I'll slowly work on rewriting it as I've been busy preparing for a 12 hour road trip next week.
Reply Quote
@Evolution

Not really into fps, but I definitely get the suggestions you posted and support it all the way. It's kind of around the area where I'm coming from. So far, from everything I've seen and read... I think RoS devs are MISSING the most important part of the ARPG genre. They confuse grinding and loot hunting as end game when this is not the case. Grinding is a means to the end. There NEEDS to be a PURPOSE to the grind. If all they're going to do is give us shiny new things and new pretty skill animations to look at... then all I see is they're selling us a really expensive virtual paper doll game. We get to dress up our characters, pimp them up and compare, but that's it. Then it's D3V all over again.

Again, there needs to be a point to the grind. Whether it be pvp (rofl), more DYNAMIC & rewarding challenges (like me and Evo's suggestions) or even simple things like having an "item collector" functionality. Not to say that the devs aren't trying, I just think they're missing an important piece of what makes an ARPG game an ARPG game.
Edited by LordAmsa#1453 on 12/17/2013 12:59 PM PST
Reply Quote
12/17/2013 12:57 PMPosted by LordAmsa
@Evolution

Not really into fps, but I definitely get the suggestions you posted and support it all the way. It's kind of around the area where I'm coming from. So far, from everything I've seen and read... I think RoS devs are MISSING the most important part of the ARPG genre. They confuse grinding and loot hunting as end game when this is not the case. Grinding is a means to the end. There NEEDS to be a PURPOSE to the grind. If all they're going to do is give us shiny new things and new pretty skill animations to look at... then all I see is they're selling us a really expensive virtual paper doll game. We get to dress up our characters, pimp them up and compare, but that's it. Then it's D3V all over again.

Again, there needs to be a point to the grind. Whether it be pvp (rofl), more DYNAMIC & rewarding challenges (like me and Evo's suggestions) or even simple things like having an "item collector" functionality. Not to say that the devs aren't trying, I just think they're missing an important piece of what makes an ARPG game an ARPG game.

well said paul!
Reply Quote
If you buy a television, and then you receive a phone call from the TV company that they're going to start charging you a monthly fee to use that television, would you accept that? Diablo 3 is not a pay-to-play game. When we purchased this game, it was advertised as a game that is free to play. This is not debatable.
Reply Quote
12/17/2013 02:17 PMPosted by Starblazer
If you buy a television, and then you receive a phone call from the TV company that they're going to start charging you a monthly fee to use that television, would you accept that? Diablo 3 is not a pay-to-play game. When we purchased this game, it was advertised as a game that is free to play. This is not debatable.

what r u referring to?
Reply Quote
12/17/2013 02:20 PMPosted by EvoIution

what r u referring to?

The OP recommended a monthly subscription fee to play Diablo 3.
Reply Quote
12/17/2013 02:26 PMPosted by Starblazer

what r u referring to?

The OP recommended a monthly subscription fee to play Diablo 3.

he recommended a monthly fee if they treated the updates and new content to higher standards. meaning on a regular basis. not 1 big patch every year. but a patch per months with frequent tuning etc. im sure there is alot fo folks that would pay a monthly fee for that. personally i dont like the idea of a monthly fee at all. but if it made the game that much more enjoyable it might not be a bad idea.
Reply Quote

Is this all you can come up with to try to be constructive in this thread?...or are you attempting to teach me a life lesson....which is it pal?
Reply Quote
12/17/2013 02:33 PMPosted by REAPER666

Is this all you can come up with to try to be constructive in this thread?...or are you attempting to teach me a life lesson....which is it pal?

I'm just stating a fact.
Pal. ;)
Reply Quote
12/17/2013 02:17 PMPosted by Starblazer
Diablo 3 is not a pay-to-play game

It isn't? How many players do you know have played the game self found/trade? I'm one of the few self found players and I have only met one other self found player in game since I picked up D3. It may not be a subscription game, but til AH is taken down next year, currently it's far from "not a pay-to-play game".
Edited by LordAmsa#1453 on 12/17/2013 3:13 PM PST
Reply Quote
12/17/2013 03:11 PMPosted by LordAmsa
Diablo 3 is not a pay-to-play game

It isn't? How many players do you know have played the game self found/trade? I'm one of the few self found players and I have only met one other self found player in game since I picked up D3. It may not be a subscription game, but til AH is taken down next year, currently it's far from "not a pay-to-play game".

The AH and the RMAH are voluntary. It's sort of like buying lottery tickets (a voluntary tax). Diablo 3 was advertised as a free-to-play game, and while there may be some legal loophole for Blizzard if they ever implemented a monthly subscription fee, it would essentially be false advertising on their part. Diablo isn't WoW.
Reply Quote
I don't know anything about "end games".

So far things that concern me... (or players like me, who like to play multiple toons/builds)
1. Crusader is so powerful... meanwhile they nerfed 2 classes, barb and wiz. all the way to the ground. I may be wrong (as I havent tried out everything in there)...but i feel that Bliz. under-estimated the impact of losing some fun, traditional builds to the players.

2. This new RoS playstyle seem to encurage build diversify. But it's actually not... Once you get good drop based on your current build, it's really hard to switch and will take a long time to farm another good set for a different build (since trading is so restrictive and close to impossible, we can't trade gear with others for a different build).

3. The system is not really encouraging players to play different characters. A considerable amount of time will have to spend just to focus farming for one class, for one build (assuming the smart drop is really working as described.)

4. What is the first thing most players will do after purchasing RoS? Try out the new class..crusader.

So, what will be the end result of these?

99.9% of the players will be playing crusaders... especially in HC community...the other classes become obsolete/outdated.....

This will happen till players start getting bored of crusaders...

However, the way it plays maybe good for the "ladder" game style...u keep playing and stick with 1 build for some time; after season ended, u (are forced to) start another one. New toon, new build...

For traditional HC/SC players, this gaming style will not be as fun...

just a feeling...again, maybe wrong..
Reply Quote
@Luffy: totally agree! RoS began as a very good game and was slowly ruined with all the changes. There will be no item diversity: everything is rolling main stat+vit +1or2 optional stats. End-game is reduced a lot, because now u cant rotate bounties and rifts as u want, u must complete a lot of bounties to do one rift ... !?

The lack of AH completely destroys testing new builds and items, in addition destroying item diversity. Instead of playing the game, now we will be stuck in trade channels, trying to avoid scammers in order to get the needed items to complete some sets etc ....

To all the AH haters: i wish you are scammed and robbed so that you can appreciate how good was AH! I want to ask how you are going to feel after spending your precious time in trade channels, instead of slashing mobs ... It was the best feature in D3 :( If they argue that with loot 2.0 u dont need it, i tell u u are an idiot: go find a soj with reduced cost to bats/charger. Finding necessary items will be a long and annoying process :((

Build diversity looks completely destroyed as well for higher difficulties .... seeing how rot was facerolling torment6 was enough to understand that new viable options will be very limited

All in all huge disappointment is a ahead of us, if things dont change :((((
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]