Diablo® III

What do you think Malthael’s plans are?

Community Manager
With the recent release of the Reaper of Souls Friends and Family Beta, we’ve seen a lot of discussion focused on gameplay systems, class balance, item balance, difficulty tuning, and more. In the wake of those more technical conversations, there've also been a number of story-related inquiries raised concerning the Malthael and his return to Sanctuary.

So, for our latest “Question from Sanctuary” (our new name for this particular blog series), we want to know: What do you think Malthael’s plans are for the Black Soulstone?

Leave a comment below to let us know, or head on over to our latest blog and join in the discussion there: https://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/11872191/
Reply Quote
MVP - Customer Support
100 Tauren Druid
"Nothing good".

In all honesty, I don't know - but I'm very anxious to find out.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
He plans to unleash an army of death corgis imbued with the essence of the Prime Evils. They'll just be too cute to kill. Secretly, each one plans to bring a beta key to every boy and girl for the holidays. Only if they've been good though.

As Pahanda said though, I'm very anxious to find out as well.
Edited by Varicose#1339 on 12/5/2013 7:09 PM PST
Reply Quote
What do you think Malthael’s plans are for the Black Soulstone?
Whatever plans he has, let's hope he doesn't pop up randomly telling me about it.
Reply Quote
Community Manager
12/05/2013 07:08 PMPosted by Varicose
He plans to unleash an army of death corgis imbued with the essence of the Prime Evils. They'll just be too cute to kill. Secretly, each one plans to bring a beta key to every boy and girl for the holidays. Only if they've been good though.

As Pahanda said though, I'm very anxious to find out as well.
....the thought of an army of death corgis is indeed a terrifying concept, but at least they'd bring good tidings?
Reply Quote
I think he probably wants to use the Black Soulstone to trap all demonic souls in existence, including the half-demonic souls of the Nephalem.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
....the thought of an army of death corgis is indeed a terrifying concept, but at least they'd bring good tidings?

Exactly! They'll steal our souls while putting a smile on our face!
Reply Quote
Some possibilities that have popped up in my mind over the last few whatevers...

~ Releasing one of the seven evils enslaved to his own will to help wipe out humanity/nephalem-kind.

~ Use the stone's power to rebuild the world stone or make a forgery of some kind.

~ Using its power as an energy source to increase his power.

~ Perhaps he only thinks he is using the stone. Instead the stone is using him... (as in, the Lords of Hell are calling out to him and manipulating him).
Reply Quote
MVP
To kill... ALL THE NEPHALEM!

Maybe he's using it to channel energy to wipe out the world.

Like when Xavier was forced to almost kill all of the mutants using Cerebro!
BattleTag: Drothvader#1215 | Twitter: @Drothvader | Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Drothvader
"Hey, I just met you, and this is crazy! But here's my BattleTag! Add me maybe? O.o
Reply Quote
To revive the "Demon Lords" including Diablo! -Maybe to gain control of them or their armies.
Or to use it on himself like Diablo did! To conquer Heaven or Earth without any few can stand against him
Edited by Rinnegan#2698 on 12/5/2013 7:52 PM PST
Reply Quote
I think he wants to manipulate the essence of the Prime Evil and use that power to destroy the Nephalem, and perhaps the whole of Sanctuary.

I've got a feeling things are going to go awry for him though.. ;)

(Perhaps even moreso for us)
Reply Quote
Well, we know he left the angiris council in search of it, and he went from the aspect of wisdom to the reaper of souls, so I think he may have an ego thing going on and try to find a way to destroy evil for good, but in a not so friendly way. Malthael seems to be the Kratos of D3. He has good intentions, but just goes about them in a way that ends in a lot of death. I think he may end up using it on Tyreal and attempting to take on the Prime Evil himself. He wants to eradicate all demonic presences, so the nephalem are going to have him as an enemy, and maybe even be forced to fight Tyreal, assuming my first thought is possible.
Edited by Jakkal07#1187 on 12/5/2013 7:35 PM PST
Reply Quote
It's needed to create a portal to the forgotten Cow Level.
Reply Quote
12/05/2013 06:56 PMPosted by Vaeflare
With the recent release of the [url]http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/11649795/friends-and-family-beta-test-underway-11-19-2013" class="bml-link-url2">Reaper of Souls Friends and Family Beta</a>, we’ve seen a lot of discussion focused on gameplay systems, class balance, item balance, difficulty tuning, and more. In the wake of those more technical conversations, there've also been a number of story-related inquiries raised concerning the Malthael and his return to Sanctuary.

So, for our latest “Question from Sanctuary” (our new name for this particular blog series), we want to know: What do you think Malthael’s plans are for the Black Soulstone?

Leave a comment below to let us know, or head on over to our latest blog and join in the discussion there: <a href="https://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/11872191/[/url]

For me, the story isn't a very important issue. Whatever he does will be fine. I personally watch the cut scene one time and then maaaybe once in a rare blue moon after

the main concern is the game and the integrity the franchise keeps

*i play RPGs if I want story in a video game* thats just me
Reply Quote
After the poor quality of story telling in D3 vanilla, how anyone even cares what Malthael's plan is is beyond me. Expect more of the same bad dialogue, At least this time we only have to play through it once...
Reply Quote
He's going to make everything BoA.
Reply Quote
He takes the soul stone and breaks it like the World stone in D3 releasing all 7 for us to hunt and kill all over again.....
Reply Quote
12/05/2013 08:44 PMPosted by Jcon
He takes the soul stone and breaks it like the World stone in D3 releasing all 7 for us to hunt and kill all over again.....

OMG awesome!!! I like this idea!!!

Reminds me of my "Diablo 3: The Lords Of Hell" second expansion idea haha!
Reply Quote
12/05/2013 07:31 PMPosted by Rinnegan
To revive the "Demon Lords" including Diablo! -Maybe to gain control of them or their armies.
Or to use it on himself like Diablo did! To conquer Heaven or Earth without any few can stand against him

This!
Reply Quote
12/05/2013 08:44 PMPosted by Jcon

Effectively leading into the second d3 expac, 7 acts, in this order: Andariel, Duriel, Belial, Azmodan, Baal, Diablo, Mephisto (the TRUE Prime Evil bad !@#)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]