Diablo® III

10 *Amazing* Comics Waiting For Ladder :)

Courtesy of me :)

Have finally been ripping through my backlog of awesome comics and also revisiting some old gems and so here are my pick of the litter.

Oh yes, and feel free to add your own suggestions! I'd personally love to find some gem that I haven't as of yet read to fill some time.

Rules:

- No Manga. Okay, except for one (explanation follows)
- The series must have either completed or broken 100+ issues. Nobody likes to get into something and then have it not go anywhere.
- These are mostly for mature audiences only. And trust me, at least half of these *will* scar you if you are not ready for them.

So, in ascending order of awesomeness.

10) Green Lantern (DC).
Rebirth through Blackest Night.

Yes, this overlaps a little with another comic I've mentioned here, but in my opinion it deserves to be on this list.

The Green Lantern was never one of my favourite heroes until I got into the continuity a few years ago. Despite the crappy movie, it's easily DCs strongest overall recent single comic aside from Batman which is likely why nearly all their big crossover events for a long time were Lantern Based.

Not going to go into too much detail here since there is a *lot* of ground to cover, but everything from the return of Hal Jordan in Rebirth, through the Sinestro Corps, War of Light and Blackest Night was solid damn gold and absolutely needs to be read.

9) Civil War (Marvel).

Have never been a Marvel fan but this got me into them at last. A brilliantly told crossover involving essentially the entire Marvel universe regarding legislation that forces all superpowered individuals to make their identities known to and be employed by the government. It was really good, really topical reading even now and for fans of the Marvel movies who never really got into the books, it's easily the best place to start.

8) Hitman (Garth Ennis)

No, it has no connection to the bald headed videogame character.

Probably the least known major Ellis series, which is a pity. While not quite as brilliant as his other stuff (which is like saying 'this prime steak is not quite as delicious as a prime steak with cheese served by a supermodel') it's still a fantastic read. Loosely connected to the DC Universe, it's essentially a story about a mildly superpowered good-at-heart Hitman and his eventual evolution into a semi hero.

It's both extremely funny, very touching and pitch black at times and has easily the single funniest supporting character ever to grace a comic book.

7) Punisher MAX (Various).

Oh yes. If you saw and enjoyed Punisher: War Zone...this is the series it is very loosely based on. Not all that much to say since the Punisher is a fairly well known character, but this vision of him is the darkest and absolute best yet. The series ran for about 80 issues and ended really well. At least two of the arcs could well be the most movie ready Marvel material yet unseen.

6) Hellblazer (Various).

Forget the horrible, horrible Constantine movie. This fantastic saga has some of the best writers and artists in the business, and follows the life, ascension, decline, redemption and struggles of John Constantine, a scam artist and general rogue who, due to his natural skill with demonology and the occult, constantly finds himself drawn into dangerous situations, often with horrible consequences for himself and his friends.

It's pretty grim stuff, but well worth reading and is probably the best long-running semi independent book on here.

5) The Walking Dead.

Yes, the TV show is okay. But the book that inspired it is far, far, far better. This is the best Zombie Apocalypse story ever told and is still ongoing. If you are a fan of the series or of Dawn of the Dead style zombie movies, read this. Again absolutely not for the squeamish.

4) Transmetropolitan (Warren Ellis).

A brilliant story about a counterculture Journalist working in a cyberpunk future, mostly revolving around his quest to bring down first one, then another president. It's part Fight Club, part Blade Runner and part insanely original freaking awesomeness.

Very hard series to summarize, but easily one of the best comics ever written.

Where to get? The sixty odd issues can be found fairly easily in 10 Volumes.

3) Berserk (Kentaro Miura).

Okay, yes. It's a manga. Yes, it's actually pretty hard to find the full series outside of Japan and even harder to find a legal English translation anywhere.

But for anyone who likes Diablo, this may be one of the best things you've ever read. Forget the movies and the terrible series - this is *the* gothic fantasy story. Still ongoing.

Where to get? Good luck on this one. You can read it online, but I'm never sure exactly how legal that is. Still - if you can, highly recommended.

2) Preacher (Garth Ennis).

Yeah. No real explanation needed. If you haven't read this gem, remedy this as soon as possible.

Where to get? Like a lot of the comics on this list, you can get the Collected Editions from various online stores.

Be warned - I've never met someone who hasn't been at least changed somewhat by reading this. Or at least scarred.

1) The Boys (Garth Ennis).

Wait...something on the list above Preacher? Sacriledge!

Only...not really. This recently finished and the 80 odd issue run of this absolutely insane, incredibly disturbing and genuinely touching story may be the single best thing I've read in the graphic novel medium.

It essentially revolves Hughie, a 30-something Scotsman who's fiance is horribly killed by a superhero. He is recruited by the Boys, a small group of vigilantes who work in the shadows to keep superheroes inline and eventually to prevent their takeover of Earth.

The entire thing takes place in a pretty brilliant parody/merger of Marvel/DC universes and serves amazingly well as a gigantic deconstruction of the entire genre.

On top of this it's main characters and the conflicts that develop between them are easily on par with Preacher, alongside easily the best written and most believable romance I think I've read in any format, ever.

Again, like all of Ennis's stuff - this is absolutely going to scar you. Very, very, very dark stuff ahead.

Where to get? Easy to find Collected Editions.

So...thoughts? Anything I left off the list?
Edited by Starbird#1360 on 5/12/2014 7:26 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Not 100+ issues, But CHEW is pretty good from image comics.
Reply Quote
Sadly only 43 issues long but I would recommend "The Goon" to any and everyone who what asks! I *believe* you can find the collected volumes at your local comic book store.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zr_Ta6NS3-g
^ There's a little taster of the tone and humour of the series.

Let's see, what else... oh! BONE is a nice, easy romp too. Was pretty big a few years ago but was originally a black and white independent comic from the 90s. Fairly easy to find in the books stores these days!
This particular series is quite light in the tone and fairly easy but the humour and charm is there in droves. Highly recommended!
Reply Quote
Ooh Bone! That's a good one. Nice catch.
Reply Quote
Just want to add another to the list.

X-Men: The Messiah Saga. Everthing from Complex->War->Second Coming->AvX.

Really, really good. Marvel are putting DC to absolute shame right now. And I *like* DC.
Reply Quote
If you liked Garth Ennis' Punisher run, check out Fury MAX
It's shorter, but even better! It has the art of Goran Pavlov (same as most of the Punisher MAX series) and it's a realistic take on Fury as a secret agent/super-soldier through the cold war. Kind of similar to Metal Gear Solid's story and look, but the story isn't retarded. Garth Ennis also does a lot of really good war comics. Not everything he does is great, but when telling realistic stories, he is top notch.

Scalped by Jason Aaron totally rocks. Nothing supernatural happening, just a great crime story set on an Indian Reservation. It's a lot of like Breaking Bad meets The Departed meets The Wild Bunch.

100 Bullets. If you like crime stories and vast conspiracies, it's pretty much the best of those. Really good dialogue and art too.

Fables and Sandman. Both really high concept and really entertaining. Not as much about action as about clever stories involving myths in the modern world.

Superman: Last Son by Richard Donner...the guy who directed the first two Superman movies. This was the sequel he wanted to make, and it follows nicely from the second movie while blending it with the actual comic's continuity.

Planet Hulk. I hate Marvel. A lot of people probably don't like the Hulk on his own. This is still one of the best superhero comics available, even if you don't normally buy Hulk. A totally self contained story with a more developed Hulk character. No condescending moral platitudes or any of the usual Marvel hijinks here, just a great story.

Top 10 by Alan Moore. Often overlooked, for some reason. Alan Moore has probably jumped the shark at this point, but this was back when he was still interested in subverting superhero tropes and making stories that actually went somewhere. There are more subtle jokes in one panel than most 'funny' comics can get on an entire page. Very clever, and even though the premise is ridiculous, it ends up being a better superhero story than almost anything the X-men or Avengers have done in recent memory. The showdowns in the last two issues actually make me wonder why a non-joke comic can't seem to have these kinds of scenes anymore. Best of all, there are no tie ins to inferior series the publisher is trying to get you to buy, even though you actually want to see more of these characters. I think that every superhero fan should own this, even more so than Watchmen.
Reply Quote
Rather than try and recommend random Batman comics, I'll put a few of the best.

Batman Comics that are great:

The Long Halloween

Dark Victory

The Dark Knight Returns

Batman: Year One

The Man who Laughs
(only the first half though...the second story sucks)

Batman: Hush

I'm not going to list poor quality Batman arcs. There are a lot of good Batman comics out there that I didn't list, but there are a whole lot of bad ones.
For ALL publishers and characters: stay away from Kevin Smith and Grant Morrison.
Reply Quote
Props for including Transmetropolitan. Such a fantastic series!

One of my favorite's is Tales of Mr. Rhee. Volume 1 was just released in paperback & hardcover by Devil's Due.

Locke & Key just ended their series and is probably my all-time favorite comic series.

Skullkickers is up there for me as well.

Others previously mentioned: Fables, The Walking Dead, Planet Hulk, and Scalped are all pretty awesome, too.
Reply Quote
Antarctic Press: Fred Perry's Gold Digger.

Truly hard to find some of the older stuff, however, so well worth it.
Reply Quote
04/11/2014 02:19 PMPosted by Ganymedes
Rather than try and recommend random Batman comics, I'll put a few of the best.

Batman Comics that are great:

The Long Halloween

Dark Victory

The Dark Knight Returns

Batman: Year One

The Man who Laughs
(only the first half though...the second story sucks)

Batman: Hush

I'm not going to list poor quality Batman arcs. There are a lot of good Batman comics out there that I didn't list, but there are a whole lot of bad ones.
For ALL publishers and characters: stay away from Kevin Smith and Grant Morrison.

A few more batman reads that I loved:
- Cataclysm.
- Knightfall (yes, I do like Azbat).
- War Games
Reply Quote
04/16/2014 07:53 AMPosted by Mortis
Props for including Transmetropolitan. Such a fantastic series!

One of my favorite's is Tales of Mr. Rhee. Volume 1 was just released in paperback & hardcover by Devil's Due.

Locke & Key just ended their series and is probably my all-time favorite comic series.

Skullkickers is up there for me as well.

Others previously mentioned: Fables, The Walking Dead, Planet Hulk, and Scalped are all pretty awesome, too.

Have not read Scalped, must pick it up next time I'm in Tokyo.

Props for Planet Hulk. AMAZING read. And I hate the Hulk.

One more for Marvel fans is Avengers Vs. Xmen. Make sure you read the Messiah and Second Coming saga before, again really good stuff, even if (like me) you've never liked Xmen.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]