Diablo® III

Beta Invite Qualifications - Maybe Next Time?

(Locked)

Also don't say "lacks depth", like Kripp & many others, they don't care, they weren't aiming at depth, they were aiming at multiple platform paydays.

LOL I agree that they were looking for multiple platform paydays. I have to disagree with Kripparian+others saying that D3 lacks depth. They had no idea what it took for me and my friend to come up with the spec and gear for the Monk Tempest Rush build. And that's just one spec. I, myself came up with a few other specs, some well known, some still haven't been discovered.

Ofc, all of that will be reset going forward into RoS but the fact of the matter was that depth was there. It's just that this instant switch system fosters the worst attitude in people (even "hardcore") players. They're perfectly content sitting there and not testing out builds and they're not theorycrafting. Kripparian number-crunched alot, and that's why he likes POE but he SUCKS at builds. He likes to output numbers, that's what he does.
12/16/2013 06:06 PMPosted by MissCheetah
Breaking the forum rules is not a good way to get a key.

This thread does not break the forum rules in any way. I am not asking for a key, suggesting someone gets one or suggesting that someone shouldn't have gotten one. I'm asking what it takes so that I know for next time, nothing more.

12/16/2013 06:06 PMPosted by MissCheetah
Completely untrue. Start a level 1 and comment on the loot and upgrades. They are the system the game will get.

1-60 is not the future of this game, nor can it be used to provide feedback that can adequately assist in the development of core game mechanics that are clearly meant to solve the main issues that so many players have with the current state of Diablo 3. Diablo 3 RoS is the new Diablo 3. It's as simple as that. Neither myself or any other true Diablo 3 fan is interested in what this game will hold for them without purchasing the expansion. Anyone who has enjoyed Diablo 3 so far and wishes to continue enjoying it to its greatest potential will purchase RoS.

I cannot comment on loot 2.0 on PTR because PTR is does not include an ENORMOUS number of game mechanics that will undoubtedly have IMMENSE influence on the final product and every facet contained within. This fact shouldn't even be up for debate, it's clear as day. If I am unable to include every game mechanic in my evaluation, then my evaluation is simply that of a product that does not accurately represent what people will be playing. For better or worse, RoS is the future of this game and there is simply no possible way to effectively evaluate Diablo 3 without evaluating it's ACTUAL and complete future.

Play with the skills and gear sub 60. Go for it. I do it on my Wiz and Crusader.

I have been and I will continue to do so. This is the one area that I can at least attempt to provide feedback on. Unfortunately, I'm running into the exact same problem. How am I supposed to effectively evaluate these changes when there's a wealth of subject material missing? I am essentially being asked to provide feedback to a client on the functionality, features, quality and livability of a fully furnished and completed house with only the foundation to evaluate. The system is in place, but without every little piece in position it's simply impossible to say how this foundation will serve the completed home. I can make a good guess and say, "yeah this foundation feels solid and it could definitely support a variety of finished products". But what good does that actually do? I cant know for certain because I have no idea what the final product will require foundation-wise. It's only the first part of the equation. You cannot solve an equation by saying, "well this first part looks good".

True.. you can't comment on end game but you can comment on the state of the basic game. Make a new char and see how it feels. Is the exp correct? Do you get upgrades? How about the item quest rewards? How about the new rares on vendors in town? How do the new skills match up with items you find?

Just go test the game you have. Be productive with what you have and don't break the CoC and blue requests.

Most of those questions are no longer imperative to the eventual success of this game. The leveling process from 1-60 of Diablo 3 is not going to make or break how people feel about the game after RoS is released. In fact, I doubt it will have any significant impact whatsoever. RoS is CLEARLY not focused on the leveling experience from 1-60. RoS is about longevity. RoS is about turning the entirety of this game into something worth playing for years to come.

You are asking questions of which do not concern the unanimously agreed upon issues of Diablo 3. This game will not fail because people aren't happy with their quest rewards. It will not fail because the rares on a vendor aren't what people want them to be, and it is not difficult to evaluate nor is it important to learn how quickly someone should be acquiring experience from level 1-60 when that part of the game is no longer the focus.

Diablo 3 does not need an evaluation of what it is at this very second when there is a truckload of upcoming content that falls under the category of, "what it will be". That NEW content will become "what it is" and THAT is the content that needs evaluation for the reason's I've already listed and many more. You cannot evaluate a complete product with only a chunk in which to evaluate, ESPECIALLY when it comes to game design, where everything is interconnected. Those connections cannot be assumed, they must be experienced.

Also, I'm not asking for a blue to comment, though that would be nice. I'm asking what other people who've gotten in feel like they did to earn their spot.
Edited by Gosu#1173 on 12/16/2013 7:07 PM PST
I wouldn't sweat it too much, Gosu. I've been playing the PTR, providing feedback and doing bug reports and I don't expect to be in a closed beta. It's possible they could do a PTR for RoS at some point, but I kind of doubt it.

Unluckily for Blizzard, the live streamers open the window for non beta testers to actually see what is going on. Plus, the stream viewers can hear the conclusions drawn by the beta testers live.

Since the live streamers are there, and I'm not gung ho for RoS, I can patiently wait for the final product to be released. I'll watch the streamers (because you KNOW they will all get it and stream it at first), and form my buying decision based on my 2.0.1 live patch play, watching live streams of the final product and reading these forums.

I'm not optimistic about the outcome of all of this, but if I end up buying the expansion at least I'll be pleasantly surprised by the action.

I care about the Diablo franchise and the ARPG genre. Since Diablo 3 is broken at its core (my opinion), it isn't a true Diablo game. Since it doesn't follow what is considered by most to be the accepted formula for an ARPG type of game, I don't think of it as an ARPG. So, for me this isn't a Diablo game and it isn't an ARPG. It's more of a Mechwarrior type of game in the action arcade genre.

Since I know that many players who post here will misinterpret what I just said, I just want to say that these are my opinions. Please don't try to read more into my statements than that.
I feel really bad for you Gosu, honestly. You want this game to improve so badly! The effort you have made to make it better has been termendous! And the delopers are still lost.

Yet, coming in, you should have known that giving feedback would be unconditional. You post to change the game, and if you do, the satisfaction in the reward. You are entitled to nothing, and the developers have their own interests in mind. What will it take for you to realize their true colors?

If you really want to make a difference, make your own game. Don't do things for other people, god damnit! Don't waste your efforts and your talents on this game!
12/16/2013 06:39 PMPosted by coolvi
I wouldn't be surprised that at this point one of the criteria is the number hours played invested on the PTR. I mean, if a player hasn't shown their willingness to spend hours to play on the test server, then what's the point of inviting them?

Wishful thinking, for sure! I haven't been able to play on live since the PTR came out. I'm hoping I'll get in before shipping off to BMT with the Air Force, but no big deal if I don't.
I want to know what it takes, that's it. If the thread gets locked then so be it.

It's quite a simple formula actually. Do you have a twitch account that you stream from actively?> Did you create a Fan site dedicated to d3 and are quite active with updates etc?

The unfortunate part of Blizzard's beta testing prerequisite program is you need to be active in the community and have a decent following to help them boost their marketing for free. In older days pre facebook twitter, streaming the people that got beta in any game other than media were the skilled ie your name in Korean, those days are far gone...I myself would love to have Ros beta, I had d3 beta but was not fortunate enough this time.

Keep your hopes up and GL HF...
12/16/2013 07:52 PMPosted by Wolverine
I feel really bad for you Gosu, honestly. You want this game to improve so badly! The effort you have made to make it better has been termendous! And the delopers are still lost.

Yet, coming in, you should have known that giving feedback would be unconditional. You post to change the game, and if you do, the satisfaction in the reward. You are entitled to nothing, and the developers have their own interests in mind. What will it take for you to realize their true colors?

If you really want to make a difference, make your own game. Don't do things for other people, god damnit! Don't waste your efforts and your talents on this game!

You're absolutely 100% correct. I put forth the effort because I want to enjoy the game. I see such potential in it and I feel obligated to do what I can to help it reach that potential so that I may enjoy it for years to come. This is partially why I'm so let down that I haven't been invited to the beta and why I need to know what it takes to get in next time. I wasn't even able to prove my devotion to the point that Blizzard will allow me to CONTINUE proving my devotion! lol

It's so sad when I put it that way, but that's really the way that it is. Somewhere along the way I failed.

As for making my own game, I actually have been doing that for about 7 months now. It's just WAY too early to go into any detail about and this isn't the place to discuss it anyway lol
I absolutely sympathize Gosu and as I said in the other thread, I was in the same position for Vanilla D3 Beta.

That said, hit me up in game and if I end up with a beta key on another account I will send it your way.
Edited by Starbird#1360 on 12/16/2013 10:58 PM PST
12/16/2013 10:57 PMPosted by Starbird
I absolutely sympathize Gosu and as I said in the other thread, I was in the same position for Vanilla D3 Beta.

Man I can't even begin to describe what I went through to get access to Vanilla D3 Beta. Lets just say that I spent a LOT of time and a LOT of money searching EVERY possible avenue. It is not something I like to think about lol

I really do appreciate your support and willingness to help, I'm just very frustrated that I wasn't able to "earn" this myself after all the work I did.
once you get beyond the absurd notion that the people who currently have RoS beta keys actually deserved them, you'll see that there is no formula from which to pursue obtaining a key of your own.

if you are not a streamer, or do not have someone on the inside at ActiBlizz HQ then it's pure RNG.

don't beat yourself up over it.
12/16/2013 05:25 PMPosted by Nishi
Your problem is that you think Blizzard is trying to invite people based on who might potentially give them the best feedback. That's not the case. They're inviting people that will stream the game, are MVPs, and the ones that have the right computer specs that they want to test. That's it. They don't care that you wrote a passionate post a long time ago, or what your ideas are for fixing the game. Just buy RoS and then buy the improved version that comes out for console later. Ty men.
QFT. I think Nishi said it best. They're not looking for the best feedback. I mean, if they were, they'd invite Gosu, Starbird, Me, etc. They're just looking for the marketing potential and/or guinea pigs that have computer parts they want.

That's pretty sad. Blizzard is the only company whose Beta tests I can truly say that I feel like I can't get in and provide useful feedback for. I've tested many of Blizzard's PTR's and I believe I tested two of their expansions (BC, WotLK) In one of those, (wotlk I think it was) I've even caught a major mistake that they were going to run into down the line, and they practically ignored the feedback and caused a major ----storm that made headlines.

I've done closed betas for practically any other company and they were happy to have me. Not open ones mind you, the ones where you have to apply and have some sort of credentials before you're allowed in.
with starcraft/wow players in the opt-in pool, with a single account you are basically relying on winning the lottery.
I think some of you might have the wrong idea of what beta tests are designed to do.

You're not here to ensure that the game is working to your liking or to what you believe is "fair for the others"; merely that it's working at all.

Blizzard collects that data and then figures out on their own what they feel is best for the game. Any feedback they receive from the forums is weighed with that data and then gets filtered based on their mission statement and their resources.

I understand that you want to contribute as much as possible but the best way you can do that is "keep it up". Keep posting ideas, keep playing the game, keep adjusting to the numerous changes. I say this because the only REAL tangible way that you can make a difference in the game design is if you had one-on-one DESIGN discussion with the game designer.

For that, you kind of have to be part of the dev team. The "client" might know what he wants (that is not always the case, btw) but it's up to the dev to make his game.
MVP
12/16/2013 06:11 PMPosted by Zyron
They do not want to be shown up like Droth & company did by exposing CB, then they end up looking silly & let's be honest, they'll just end up chopping it, not fixing it.

That has absolutely nothing to do with anything. O.o
BattleTag: Drothvader#1215 | Twitter: @Drothvader | Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Drothvader
"Hey, I just met you, and this is crazy! But here's my BattleTag! Add me maybe? O.o
12/17/2013 08:35 AMPosted by Gix
You're not here to ensure that the game is working to your liking or to what you believe is "fair for the others"; merely that it's working at all.

you're right about that, and I suppose a lot of us do misunderstand what beta's are supposed to be about.
I understand that you want to contribute as much as possible but the best way you can do that is "keep it up". Keep posting ideas, keep playing the game, keep adjusting to the numerous changes. I say this because the only REAL tangible way that you can make a difference in the game design is if you had one-on-one DESIGN discussion with the game designer.

For that, you kind of have to be part of the dev team. The "client" might know what he wants (that is not always the case, btw) but it's up to the dev to make his game.

What trips me up personally is that I *do* contribute and devs do listen and implement when necessary.

That's part of what I love about Blizzard. I remember arguing with people about nerfing crit chance/critdmg and I strongly opposed that and suggested stuff from D2 like Crushing and Deadly Blow. They ended up testing both the caps and Crushing Blow, both eventually removed but they're still iterating on CB to see if they can get it to work for retail.

I remember writing up a post about New Game + with full exploration between acts, nobody responded to that thread but Blizzard listened (it's Adventure Mode now).

The problem I'm having right now with them is that they do nothing back for the consumer and if anything they will try to milk more cash. That's exactly what happened with 2.0.1 and ROS. It made me feel robbed and that my loyalty was misplaced.

Now that I know how they are, what they do and will not do. I have a better understanding of my relationship with them and that is strictly consumer/customer and business. That's what I am to them and that's how it will be. That means no more going out of my way to help them design the game or improve. That's their job, and they clearly drew the line in the sand in that regard.

So as a former customer I'm just going to let them do their job and I will purchase their product if and when they are deserving of my hard earned money. As far as Diablo III goes, that's done. No more money coming from me.
12/17/2013 10:24 AMPosted by Wukong
you're right about that, and I suppose a lot of us do misunderstand what beta's are supposed to be about.

Can't really blame people for that, the industry is slowly turning beta phases into a publicity stunts.

In case people don't know, beta phases in the development cycle means that a piece of software has all its features implemented. Beta testers (along with the Q/A team) are asked to stress the servers (when the software uses online functionality) and report any bugs that may occurs. That's it.

No matter how you communicate to the dev team, the odds that they change anything before the software gets released is extremely low. Take D3 for example, the "rune system" was changed at the last minute, but it did make the beta phase cut. Once it's out, THEN they listen to feedback to implement things for their next release.

That's how software development works.
Betas are betas, over the last 30 years i have been involved in several betas.. final fantasy 11, final fantasy 14, dungeons and dragons, world of tanks, Mech warrior to name a few. first criteria is usually as said before computer specs matching what they are wanting to test, second is luck of the draw.

Usually i have noticed the more vocal "fanbois" are usually overlooked simply because they dont want for lack of a better term brown nosing butt kisser telling them repeatedly "oh god game is great just what we would expect from *insert company name here*"

on the other side of the coin they also dont want haters who vocally hate every aspect of the game or company for some odd reason or another.

they prefer random, "normal" players who will give or will work testing and retesting (sometimes asked to repeatedly test a certain quest so many times a day or run a certain act repeatedly for so many hours.) areas giving feedback on ease of use or issues they run into.

alpha testing is usually even worse few years back spent close to 8 hours one day repeating the same quest over and over (talking to npc from different angles, distances, and so on) looking for glitches having been given an email on what to test that day.

out of millions (assuming millions are still playing this game) they only gave out from what i hear around 8000 invites so 8000 out of millions you can number crunch the percentages if you want but id say pretty slim.

dont feel like its a slap in the face if you didnt get an invite think of it more like playing the lottery, more tickets you buy the better the chance but still pretty small chance your gonna win the lottery.

sign up in your account settings to be considered for betas and never know ya might get lucky one of these days. I wish ya luck.
Community Manager
There's much to consider when we send out invitations for our Beta testing to take into account. So much so that once we have a list of positive and constructive contributors, it usually comes down to being too large a list to make sure everyone is included given the number of invitations we're provided. As we've said before, the Closed Beta is fairly small, so the number of invites we have available is extremely limited. After that point, it becomes luck of the draw - if you opted in, you had a chance to be selected during this process.

Remember to keep in mind that constant requests for and inquiries about Beta access is something we will moderate, and these threads not only fail to add constructively to the community, but allowing them to persist clutters up valuable channels of communication.
Edited by Nevalistis on 12/17/2013 11:24 AM PST
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]