Diablo® III

PTR Fire/Fetish Build

Hello! Long time reader, first time poster.

I have tried out a few combinations of skills and like others have stated, most everything works as long as the skill set is somewhat cohesive. Saying that, I worked up a fire/fetish doctor build that has been fun to play. The skill set explanation is as follows:

Active Skills
Fire Bats - Vampire Bats
Fire damage bats to go with the fire theme (take advantage of +fire damage equips) and no channeling cost.
Soul Harvest - Vengeful Spirit
Buff and nice damage for large groups of white monsters.
Big Bad Voodoo - Slam Dance
Don't need rain dance mana, so more damage it is for me and all the fetishes and doggies. Reduced cooldown by means of Starmetal Kukuri affix turns this into a almost-every-pack skill, depends on the DPS of you/the group. Also good for grouping.
Fetish Army - Legion of Daggers
More dagger wielding maniacs the better. Also, 3 more dudes to take advantage of affix on Starmetal Kukri (listed below)
Locust Swarm - Searing Locusts
This is mostly a flex-spot, but at the moment I'm running the swarm. Others reports nice synergy with swarm and area damage, so giving it a go. So far a good addition to the set, and fire damage.
Summon Zombie Dogs - Burning Dogs
Fire damage dog(s). I found a ring that summons a single more damaging, more HP packed dog in place of three. One dog not that effective, but can get up to five with Circle of Life passive. Good shields, 20% damage/second as fire.

Passives
Fetish Sycophants
Spend a lot of time channeling bats for free, so more Fetish army to proc Starmetal Kukri to cast BBV and Fetish Army more. Good support damage and things to get between baddies and me.
Circle of Life
Used to get up to 5 burninating dogs.
Pierce the Veil
Kind of a free passive, but there are relatively no mana issues so mana regen passives are lackluster. There are few mana spending skills so the 30% doesn't eat away as much. Have limited testing with this + spendy spell of locusts but so far mana hasn't been a problem.

Notable Legendary affixes that I currently have to assist the build
Starmetel Kukri
Reduce the cooldown of your Big Bad Voodoo and Fetish Army by 1 second each time your fetishes deal damage.
The Tall Man's Finger
Zombie Dogs instead summons a single gargantuan dog with more damage and health than all other dogs combined.

I'd really be interested in getting new full Zuni to see how many fetishes I can have stick around.

My gear from copied char is about 100k DPS, handles MP8 decently well in terms of survivability with life leech Skorn CoB build.

Anyone else having success with a fire- and/or pet-based builds?

Edit: Spirit Walk - Umbral Shock instead of Locusts may be good for added survivability + fire damage. See this possible as meet a pack, drop BBV + Fetish, cast bats for a while, spirit walk out when needed to avoid death + deal fire damage. Should get a nice grouping for most enemies to get hit from explosion.
Edited by TheBroot#1486 on 12/17/2013 8:37 PM PST
Reply Quote
Hey, welcome aboard. It's good to have more minds at work while we plan for the coming expansion. It's cool to see you've planned around certain gear and skill synergies. Having 5 gargantuan dogs out also sounds really awesome, I totally want to see that in action now.
Reply Quote
Very cool! This kind of thing is what I was hoping to see. I'm hoping people are more upset about what they can't do anymore and not the new things that they CAN do which might be more awesome.
Edited by Chas#1850 on 12/18/2013 8:54 AM PST
Reply Quote
Welcome my friend!

I appreciate your post and hope to see more from you and your observations and theory crafting

We need more like you to contribute here

Thanks again
Reply Quote
Hey, nice writeup!

The Tall Man's Finger

So can you shed some light on how this works - haven't seen anyone reporting about this new legendary yet. Does the big dog have the same effect as the rune - i.e. fire dogs will produce a big fire dog? How does it work with Circle of Life, can you get extra dogs on top of the big dog? How many?

Cheers!
Reply Quote

Big Bad Voodoo - Slam Dance
Don't need rain dance mana, so more damage it is for me and all the fetishes and doggies. Reduced cooldown by means of Starmetal Kukuri affix turns this into a almost-every-pack skill, depends on the DPS of you/the group. Also good for grouping.

If you haven't tried it yet the Boogie Man rune will let you get up to 10 dogs.
Reply Quote
12/18/2013 10:11 AMPosted by Wachati
Hey, nice writeup!

The Tall Man's Finger

So can you shed some light on how this works - haven't seen anyone reporting about this new legendary yet. Does the big dog have the same effect as the rune - i.e. fire dogs will produce a big fire dog? How does it work with Circle of Life, can you get extra dogs on top of the big dog? How many?

Cheers!

yep... garg dogs get teh summon rune (haven't tested their actual dmg tho). summon + CoL gives you 5 total.

screenie

http://i.imgur.com/12MWLzi.jpg

edit:

10 dogs boogieman + CoL

http://i.imgur.com/eo4G30T.jpg

once you have all 10 you can swap out CoL & BBV

btw the new tiklandian visage (roots enemies on horrify) works really well with lumbering bears damage radius.
Edited by juju#6769 on 12/18/2013 10:58 AM PST
Reply Quote
@Wachati: the affix on the ring replaces what would be three dogs, of whatever flavor, with the single larger dog. I have been running with fire dogs for this build and I will say I like the looks of the larger fire dog. Circle of life will provide up to 5 dogs, all gargantuan style. I assume they all have the same buffed damage and life and not just look larger; something I'll need to look at next session.

Also, did not know about the extra dog capacity from BBV boogie man. This is certainly something I'll test out next session. Honestly, a concern I have without testing it is that it is too much dog. I tried for a time the limited time rune gargantuan and he had a tough time finding a place on monster hit boxes between dogs and fetishes and I noticed he was idle at times. Although, when he did connect it was usually quite glorious. This does interest me and I'll add it to the list. Five more burninating dogs could be pretty nice.

Responding from phone is quite tricky, apologize for any typos.
Reply Quote
Oh wow, this is like 500%+ damage to dogs.
Reply Quote
it'll be very interesting to see this pan out on torment...

high LoH + thorns set gear

10 leaching beasts (100% LoH)
swap out CoL with Fierce Loyalty
New Taskers (100% pet atkspd)
New Helm (100% pet damage)
New bracers? that magnify thorns dmg
Edited by juju#6769 on 12/18/2013 11:20 AM PST
Reply Quote
@juju
Thanks for the images. Pumped for 10 dogs now.

I understand this build isn't full of things to just plow though mobs like zombie bears but I was tired of juggling mana regen and came to this skill selection. It has pretty decent damage output, meat shields with plenty of playthings on the field and limited to no mana issues. Suppose it all comes down the what gear you get to drop. Had the kukri or ring not dropped, I would probably just be bearing it up. I do like the new nova bears.

Anyway, back to work and hopefully get some playtime after work.
Reply Quote
I'd be really interested in seeing this legendary effect:
"Your Fetishes shoot a Poison Dart every time you do. (previously enhanced only Poison Dart)"
Reply Quote
Five more dogs is pretty nice. However, sometimes some of the dogs stand idle behind the front line of dogs and fetishes instead of tracking around to the back of the monster to attack.

With 110k "damage", 10 dogs, fetish army + 3 daggers, BBV Slam Dance both Cydea and Azmodan died in about 20 seconds (before or just after BBV was over). I did not attack with any other skills, just let the pet types go at it.

juju, your proposed set up sounds viable to a point and I too would like to see if it is Torment viable.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]