Diablo® III

SF's rant about breakpoints

12/18/2013 04:06 PMPosted by Argos
I feel like such a noob! I think I broke half of your cardinal sins. Oh well.....

Even if you insist on using mainhand EF, you can retain 2.5/2.86 with one less slot of IAS, and can pick up a lot more strength by giving up either the inna's or lacunis. You probably realize this too. Don't shoot the messenger.
Reply Quote
12/18/2013 04:16 PMPosted by Nived
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/9280358016?page=1#2

The forums need you!
Reply Quote
12/18/2013 04:29 PMPosted by silverfire
I feel like such a noob! I think I broke half of your cardinal sins. Oh well.....

Even if you insist on using mainhand EF, you can retain 2.5/2.86 with one less slot of IAS, and can pick up a lot more strength by giving up either the inna's or lacunis. You probably realize this too. Don't shoot the messenger.

LOL I'm just messing with you silverfire, I haven't been playing my Barb, nor do I want to put any gold towards him unless a nice pair of DD fall while I'm leveling up my Wizard.
Reply Quote
12/18/2013 04:34 PMPosted by Argos

LOL I'm just messing with you silverfire, I haven't been playing my Barb, nor do I want to put any gold towards him unless a nice pair of DD fall while I'm leveling up my Wizard.

Nothing better than an archon wiz when going through barb withdrawal symptoms. Nothing worth worrying about other than sheet DPS. Such a relief, really.
Reply Quote
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/9280358016?page=1#2

THE GOLDEN RULES (for breakpoints)

DUAL WIELD

MH Mace w/ OH EF - 2.5 w/ both hands

Didn't you copy those from Planet?

Sorry...I couldn't resist.
Reply Quote
12/18/2013 04:30 PMPosted by silverfire
The forums need you!

My time has passed, brother.

12/18/2013 04:48 PMPosted by gooball
Didn't you copy those from Planet?

Sorry...I couldn't resist.

:)
Reply Quote
Hell the golden rules should just have it's own individual thread and get a Blue to sticky-lock it to the top :D

I bet people would still mess it up :(
Reply Quote
Does Rend always do mainhand damage?
Reply Quote
Yes
Reply Quote
lol I'm guilty of some of those offenses but I have my reasons. Visual and convenience.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/MASKOAA-1251/hero/38038945

Visual - Wanted to like the way my barb looks
Convenience..... dat 2.86 BP so tasty when people dont keep up in Crypts I can just smash a mob or 2 and fully replenish until they catch up.
Edited by MASKOAA#1251 on 12/18/2013 5:35 PM PST
Reply Quote
12/18/2013 05:31 PMPosted by MASKOAA
lol I'm guilty of some of those offenses but I have my reasons. Visual and convenience.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/MASKOAA-1251/hero/38038945

Visual - Wanted to like the way my barb looks
Convenience..... dat 2.86 BP so tasty when people dont keep up in Crypts I can just smash a mob or 2 and fully replenish until they catch up.

You know how to gear a ww barb as well as anyone. I'm mostly speaking to the newbies and rerollers that buy a random bunch of "good looking" gear and clump it together without any purpose.

If I dual wielded, I'd be 2.86 too. Higher bp's > tdps just cuz.
Edited by silverfire#1855 on 12/18/2013 5:43 PM PST
Reply Quote
Silver (and others),

I am most certainly guilty and likely one of the people you are specifically referring to in this thread, but I have to say that it's just a game. You've given a lot of insight and are very helpful, even to me directly in the "Rate My Barb" thread. But, I don't quite agree with your tactics here. I understand your frustration with the knowledge you have. You are incredibly bright when it comes to matters of the game. I look up to you in many of your posts and value your advice soundly and truthfully. There are many things that I am similar with in real life, but at the same time, the information is out there for us. For example, I'm a home theater and audio enthusiast and I see "no-no's" time and time again. I've given my share of very knowledgeable advice to those out there and they've chosen their own path afterwards. Despite my suggestions and encouragements, some have chosen paths I would completely frown upon, but when it comes down to it, they are getting a level of enjoyment that is satisfactory to them. A gentle nudge or guidance in the right direction is all that is needed, but where people go from there is entirely their own prerogative. Your decision to be helpful is not to make people do exactly as you say because you know better than them, rather it's just to help them to understand and then let them enjoy whatever it is, however they want to at from that point forward.

I'm a casual-ish player, which is why I am still not plvl 100 with any of my characters. I've been playing D3 since it first released and while I love my barb, I also love playing every one of the other classes as well. This also means, I have to sacrifice some things on certain characters in order to upgrade other characters at specific times. I am over the breakpoint for WW in WotB, and I also have more AS slots than I ought to, numerous with less than 9% AS. But, does that mean I enjoy the game less because I am being wasteful? I don't really think so. I am also one that loves to gear for multiple builds on a single character, which means weighing more options. I geared for my barb to be capable of being more than just being a twirl barb.

I also am one who also likes to gear for aesthetics as well. I hate the look of Inna's pants on pretty much every character; baby blue pants just doesn't scream kick-a$$ demon killer, as an example. So gear choices sometimes also includes that silly aspect. But, hey, that is part of my enjoyment of the game. On top of that, being a casual-ish player, I play when I can and try to enjoy it however I can. I used to be an avid AH-tycoon, back in the day, but I simply don't have time to do that anymore. With a wife and two daughters (ages 6 & 2), working full time, and simply have other interests that I try to juggle on top of playing D3, many sacrifices and maybe some no-no's are going to be made so I can have a similar level of enjoyment.

So, my point to all of this is for everyone is just as I said before is, everyone has different levels of enjoyments... you've done your job (in spades) in getting the right information out there to people, let's all try to enjoy the game now (before they nerf us into the ground)!

*Edit note: I want to make clear, silverfire, your gearing advice has most certainly helped me, and I have taken as many suggestions as I can and put them to good use already... so I don't want to sound as if I am ungrateful for all the advice that you put there personally! :)
Edited by Aetherhole#1783 on 12/18/2013 8:52 PM PST
Reply Quote
View profile
If you are using more than one out of the following, you're probably doing it wrong; lacunis, inna's, tal's chest, witching hour
If your echoing fury is in your mainhand, chances are you're doing it wrong.
If war cry shows up on your skill bar, you're doing it wrong.

Guilty as charged your honourable honour :(

Would i be correct in assuming you speak about this mostly to WW/Sprint DW barbs and not to the noob ignorant DW barbs who don't WW but do HOTA instead? Oh the blasphemy :p

I will happily admit i would count myself amongst those who are clueless about BPs and their effectiveness in game. I have Eclipse and Anwin to beat my head for that :D
Reply Quote
12/18/2013 08:28 PMPosted by demonknight
I will happily admit i would count myself amongst those who are clueless about BPs and their effectiveness in game. I have Eclipse and Anwin to beat my head for that :D

You fail bro. I don't claim to be the best in BPs. But then we are HotA, so BPs are for eyewash mostly lol.
Reply Quote
@ Silverfire

Excellent points. I would argue that Bash is a great skill though.

I run an axe on this barb and it does perform very well, but clearly your argument is about optimal, which in this case the axe most certainly is not.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/DrFish-1781/hero/16845777
Reply Quote
12/18/2013 11:44 AMPosted by Uber
I completely gave up trying to help people with this in the numerous 'Rate the barb above' threads. I seen one guy.... Billions in gear... Some really nice stuff teeming rugged ect and he was over by something crazy 3 full slots if I remember correctly. Didn't wanna listen, could of went up half a million tdps pretty easy but just wouldn't listen.

Are you referring to the one who stack 3 slots of LS? He had very high end gear with good dps to boost, not sure why he want such insane amount of LS

Anyway have I been geared correctly? I tend to go for S/B due to more tanky and less complication in term of maximising effective DPS.

I understand about brawler vs blood thirst against LS/non-LS weapon. My gear is geared toward non-LS build with upcoming ROS in mind. No point spending so much over expensive LS weapon and see them wasting one affix over nothing when 2.0 comes.

I tried my best to maximized my BP as much as I could, even taking consideration of +25% ias and +50% ias from shrine + WOTB combo.
Reply Quote
I am most certainly guilty and likely one of the people you are specifically referring to in this thread, but I have to say that it's just a game. You've given a lot of insight and are very helpful, even to me directly in the "Rate My Barb" thread. But, I don't quite agree with your tactics here. I understand your frustration with the knowledge you have.

Too tired to read in full.

Title is just a ploy to get more views.

"Yet another guide on how to optimize breakpoints" wouldn't likely get as many clicks :p

Also to anyone taking offense, to quote myself

12/18/2013 11:18 AMPosted by silverfire
There are exceptions to every rule, but the bottom line is that you don't want to be wasting any IAS.

That's really all there is to it.

I don't want to get into the number of slots of ls, brawler vs bloodthirst arguments and all. Pick for yourself, just be informed about it.

And btw, here's an example of an axe setup done right.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Morpheus-6524/hero/37979990

You don't need to be that gg, but generally witching hour meshes very well with it...so I'd say it is a more high-end route to do properly. 5x9, LS on the axe, dps high enough that one slot cuts it.

This is also why Morpheus wins for best dual wield barb for me.

Final edit- until I stop everyone in the world from using bash along with dtww, my work is not finished.
Edited by silverfire#1855 on 12/19/2013 12:24 AM PST
Reply Quote
12/18/2013 03:51 PMPosted by Sedi
By the way, nice write up Silverfire. It's exhausting trying to help people in this same scenario over and over and over, and over.

Thank you sir.

Edit: And over and over.. ;)

Lol.

dat feels.

Pretty much the reason why nowadays if someone asks me how I can help them gear I'll type something along the lines of.

"THERE IS A STICKY FOR YOU IN THE BARB FORUMS YOU PLEB. L2READ."

People say I'm not very friendly.
Reply Quote
12/19/2013 12:09 AMPosted by silverfire
Final edit- until I stop everyone in the world from using bash along with dtww, my work is not finished.

But... but... but... me likey Bash coz people always seem to message me when I'm "socializing" with some elites or after I had rounded up a couple screen of mobs in FoM.

Maybe I should be more like Anwin (who ignores my messages when he's busy hammering away). :P
Reply Quote
12/19/2013 02:02 AMPosted by Eclipse
Maybe I should be more like Anwin (who ignores my messages when he's busy hammering away). :P

If I don't do that you will troll away all my very precious game time lol.
Edited by Anwin#6258 on 12/19/2013 2:25 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]