Diablo® III

Why Path of Exile is trash compared to Diablo 3.

Why Path of Exile is trash compared to Diabl...

Stopped reading there.
Reply Quote
Clunkiness:

D3) No collision detection. Every attack hits, unless blocked (shield) No evasion. No accuracy rating. No attack interruption/block recovery.

PoE) Collision detection. Attacks can miss, be evaded, be blocked/recovery time following block.

PoE takes a realistic approach to combat, while D3 leans to an arcade style. The complicated aspects of PoE's combat system results in unfortunate side effects such as desync, and subsequent resync.

It's a compensation that PoE fans understand is a necessity in providing the intricacy they desire.

The "clunkiness" of PoE's combat is something that knowledgeable players leave behind as they flesh out and develop their character. If you are still experiencing "clunkiness" as you advance further in levels and difficulty, it's because you are not knowledgeable enough to overcome it.

When you begin your character, he/she is supposed to be an uncoordinated ball of clay. The rest is up to the user.
Edited by Otis#1467 on 12/23/2013 10:17 AM PST
Reply Quote
12/23/2013 10:18 AMPosted by TheSaint
Clunkiness:

D3) No collision detection. Every attack hits, unless blocked (shield) No evasion. No accuracy rating. No attack interruption/attack recovery.

PoE) Collision detection. Attacks can miss, be evaded, be blocked/recovery time following block.

PoE takes a realistic approach to combat, while D3 leans to an arcade style. The complicated aspects of PoE's combat system results in unfortunate side effects such as desync, and subsequent resync.

It's a compensation that PoE fans understand is a necessity in providing the intricacy they desire.

The "clunkiness" of PoE's combat is something that knowledgeable players leave behind as they flesh out and develop their character. If you are still experiencing "clunkiness" as you advance further in levels and difficulty, it's because you are not knowledgeable enough to overcome it.

When you begin your character, he/she is supposed to be an uncoordinated ball of clay. The rest is up to the user.

This. Why? Because sprites are easier to rig, and far more precise then 3D rigging that often has collision problems. I bet Droth thinks D3 is made out of sprites too lol.

If D3 were made up of sprites, it would at least have a legitimate excuse for the combat being so simplified. (non-interruptable animations, etc.)
Reply Quote
"Headshot", "Kill record", "Checkpoint reached", seriously??
Reply Quote
MVP
12/23/2013 10:15 AMPosted by Otis
D3) No collision detection. Every attack hits, unless blocked (shield) No evasion. No accuracy rating. No attack interruption/block recovery.

O.o

There's collision detection in D3... The only difference is that the hitboxes are intentionally large in D3.
BattleTag: Drothvader#1215 | Twitter: @Drothvader | Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Drothvader
"Hey, I just met you, and this is crazy! But here's my BattleTag! Add me maybe? O.o
Reply Quote
MVP
12/23/2013 10:32 AMPosted by TheSaint
On another note, check this games engine out! I hope more are built on the same principle, http://youtu.be/AUleDEFkUtE

Get rid of the 3D bloat, Check out 3:40 lol. That's a fraction of D3's computing power requirements, and equal the presentation.

You know D3 does the exact same thing right?

All non character assets are all 2D sprites. The trees, the buildings, the floors, the backdrops... all of it is 2D.
BattleTag: Drothvader#1215 | Twitter: @Drothvader | Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Drothvader
"Hey, I just met you, and this is crazy! But here's my BattleTag! Add me maybe? O.o
Reply Quote
I like how the POE fans reported the OP...hilarious on the D3 forums btw...

I think you could have summed up why POE sucks vs D3 with one word: DESYNC.

That game is nothing more than a novelty and refuge for tryhard ARPG elitist who think tossing every passive skill and nominal stat upgrade for all classes onto one page is complex and awesome (considering how few paths are actually taken aka wheres the life nodes/IR)

Anyway. POE is great on paper. It has a great atmosphere. Its loot and itemization are worse than D3 since you actually cant progress without trading, and there isn't a trading system or currency.

Also its combat is woefully dull and lifeless...as is world destruction...ive never seen an arpg where it was so unfun and non-satisfying to break stuff while looking for loot.

Ive said this before, but the ONLY reason POE has any population whatsoever is because of its impeccable timing in releasing just as the d2 fanatics lives were forever ruined by d3. that's it.
Reply Quote
What a fail thread. D3 has superior graphics and gameplay to PoE, PoE has better skills/character progression altho I personally like the freedom of D3 since in the end everyone takes the same nodes and skills anyway so its only the illusion of choice. Thats it. The economy is entirely up to opinion. Aso desync.

Highlighting the microtransactions for PoE for skill effects is a fail, thats a pro for the game, not a negative. The games free dude...Id pay for micros in THIS game and it cost 60 bucks plus 40 for RoS.
Edited by Montanx#1793 on 12/23/2013 1:41 PM PST
Reply Quote
12/23/2013 08:48 AMPosted by LadyJava
PoE is gaining more and more players every day since it was released, Diablo 3 has been losing more and more players every day since it was released

I dont know where you have been getting this information because poe is becomming a ghost town even Athene himself has said this.

lol Athene.

AtheneUS was one of the most annoying most self important people that have ever graced PoE's forums (And there have been a few.) Seriously the guy cannot get over himeslf enough for one minute to actively contribute anything to the wider community. And you put value in things he has said like it is gospel?

Regardless of his 'opinions' PoE is very healthy in terms of players and in terms of content updates (there was a content patch yesterday in fact, and the next is scheduled for January 8th. When was the last content improvement for D3?)

PoE's biggest issue is the time requirement to really get anywhere in it, and the fact that the playerbase is splintered amongst many different leagues/races. Also they need to fix trading as person-to-person trading via the trade channels etc is horriffic.

oh and one thing they did do in the last patch was to make Trade and General chat unavailable until you had a min level 2 character (or at least one level 25 char on account.) It's nice to see a company trying to actively tackle RMT spamming rather than say "please report it if you see it" as we know that doesn't seem to do much.
Reply Quote
12/23/2013 11:41 AMPosted by TheSaint

You know D3 does the exact same thing right?

All non character assets are all 2D sprites. The trees, the buildings, the floors, the backdrops... all of it is 2D.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kFADjPzvuI

Care to take that back?

think the signature says it all :)

US Diablo III MVP - Any information posted above is usually wrong and can be safely ignored.

strangely enough it's can be more time consuming to create 2d Sprites to be used in a 3d Engine that it is to simply model, texture, and shade everything in 3d. the asset build in 3d may take more time but there's far more options as to reusability over anything painted to be viewed in only one way.

Diablo's layout and scene dressing is most likely done to camera meaning they optimise things in the level and remove things that the camera angle makes redundant. For certain set pieces they may also pre-remove parts of the geometry for example the backside of Tristram Cathedral since theres no way as a player we could see the opposite angle, but the assets are still all 3d. It is far easier to optimise then the camera angle doesn't vary (check) and when the levels are not randomly generated (check)
Reply Quote
Stopped reading at, "level 58 Marauder"

At level 58 you have not experienced end game maps yet, which leads to a massive bias review.
Edited by DrDeathXII#1458 on 12/23/2013 4:16 PM PST
Reply Quote
12/23/2013 04:52 AMPosted by TheSaint
Seriously dude, don't post a book, if you can't work out specifics without telling a tale about your life story, I'm not going to read it.

PoE has it's problems, but the "trash" thingy in the title, plus how it's written. Like I can understand a disgruntled drunk rambling on and I could reply with my own anti disgruntled drunk musings. But this is something different.
Reply Quote
Im back. Sup.

Wish I could delete this silly double post. My bad.
Edited by DeathOrGlory#1736 on 12/30/2013 5:12 AM PST
Reply Quote
I was never banned. I went to celebrate Christmas. Seems some people got mad over an opinion. Oh D3 forums, the video game version of 4chan for trolls....

Alright. Im back, and ready for a good amusement of a debate.

To those defending PoE:

Tl;dr: Spending money on things that are supposed to be part of the game, is basically a scam. And you are dumb enough to fall for it. Spending money on things that actually have USEFUL value, is not. And oh my god, I can make a post to be as long as I want to. Intelligent people like to read, after all.

I play All Points Bulletin: Reloaded.

It is a F2P, pay to win third person shooter. With a far more advanced sense of progression, regardless of the games gameplay and leveling design. They are both F2P, hence they can still compete here.

Here's the funny part.

It offers me the option to buy helpful accessories, to make my experience of the game become better, and more fun.

In PoE, I have the option to buy.....animations.

Animations.

Wow. Much buy for good crap yes ?

Uh, no.

See, you ask, whats the connection ? The connection is that Path of Exile demands exuberant prices for ingame animation effects, which is something that the game is meant to have in ALPHA STAGE, and even demands money, for, get this: avatars for the forums profile picture options. Wow....fail.

APB, offers, at some nippy high prices, USEFUL ingame items, options to make my gaming experience more fun, gives me more time to work and hence spend more money on the game, and Diablo 3's ingame auction house, does the same.

This children, is a method we old timers call: pulling a Capcom.

If you're older then 12, you'll get it. If not, get off the internet and go play soccer or something. The internet is for adults. Not children.

Now, to those who defended my point on PoE being a pointless money sink with no actual value to play, and as a smart person said: it has no soul.

I say, good luck in RoS, I hope I all see you there, and have a good time! Cheers :)

PS. I can't be banned for having an opinion. I offended no one in any way what so ever.

Oh, also, my marauder is stuck on 58 because he hit a equipment gear wall that he get break through, because, get this: All the gear he needs he can't afford because no one is selling them at sane and rational prices, regardless of how many people are selling them, and the drop rates are too low and horrible to turn a profit, which would result in me being able to buy better gear to proceed, but since I am "poor", I can't do that, and since I have low MF rate (to hell with MF), I can't find anything good enough to balance out my issue, so, d'awwwww, looky here, PoE is borked with the loot drop system, as well! The difference between PoE and D3 ?

D3's being fixed. End of story.
Edited by DeathOrGlory#1736 on 12/30/2013 5:23 AM PST
Reply Quote
OP is just another guy who tried PoE, wasnt able to progress because hes used to Pay to Win and easy / noob friendly games. He got butt hurt ----> came on d3 forum crying about poe. I shouldn't even be replying this thread because its pointless (d3 fanboys) and I quit this boring diablo 3 over a year ago, exactly after I tried path of exile. Never played d3 a signle time again after that.

And seriously, don't make me laugh, level 58 marauder....... Please tell me more about how deep you tested PoE before writing your noob !@#$ ITT.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]