Diablo® III

Why can't the story be patched?

By far, one of the worst parts of Diablo 3 is pathetic story and plot. Every time I see Magdha, Belial, or Diablo him(her?)self it's nothing but a cringe-fest. Blizzard has the resources to correct this problem, why didn't? What the hell am I saying, this game made tons of money off it's name alone, the genius that came up with the title," Diablo III" probably got a raise. Blizzard needs to understand that they can only cash in on nostalgia so many times...
Edited by MrBigBalls#1904 on 12/19/2013 6:14 PM PST
Reply Quote
MVP - Reddit Diablo
View profile
Because, in the end, most people that play the game for more than one play-through aren't playing to experience the story again, they're playing for levels and loot. Blizzard could spend time and money rewriting the story, or they could be working on the gameplay or future expansions. Blizzard's motto is "Gameplay First", which fits Diablo 3 just fine.

I was content with the story but I came into the game expecting hordes of monsters and tons of loot, and I'm pleased at the result.
Reply Quote
Yeah, the story is for the birds.
Reply Quote
My favorite game stories are Final Fantasy 7, Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain, and Diablo 2.

BIRDS.
Reply Quote
Something Blizzard COULD do in this case, which would be risky, of course, is to hold an open forum. Allow people to step-by-step re-write the story and present it to a development team, who would evaluate the changes that would be acceptable to implement and what wouldnt be.

To be honest with you - if the Phantom voices (when heads would pop up and spout the "so you beat X thing, that doesnt even matter! you can't stop Y!") were cut off, i think the game would actually be better off... we'd have less saturation and hand holding... can you imagine? Act one, we see maghda twice before Cain's death - "Who are you? You wont get the next piece, it's where only the ancients may tread!" and "Repair the sword or i will kill you all Deckard Cain!"

In Diablo 1, we didnt know WHAT THE HELL was down there - we just knew we had to find and stop diablo. Hall of the blind? Didnt know about it. Butcher? Scary as hell because we never saw him, didnt know what to expect. Same with Diablo 2: we didnt know what Andariel was! What she sounded like, could she even talk? We just chased after the rumor and BOOM, giant scorpion/spider/crab/giant lady coming at us spitting poison novas in our faces.

Blizzard Blue Guys - if you are reading this and love your game... just give us an option to cut those off, please... pretty please... i'd pay for it, to be honest. I'd pay you for that option. Christmas present, maybe?
Reply Quote
The Lore of the game in immense and immersive if you WANT it to be. There is so much backdrop to it that you most likely dont know about, dig deeper, check out the books.

If you cared about the story, you'd find that there is one, a very detailed and gruesome one. You'd even have insight as what might happen in the expac ;)
Reply Quote
01/05/2014 09:53 AMPosted by Rain
The Lore of the game in immense and immersive if you WANT it to be. There is so much backdrop to it that you most likely dont know about, dig deeper, check out the books.

If you cared about the story, you'd find that there is one, a very detailed and gruesome one. You'd even have insight as what might happen in the expac ;)

there is, but the lore is poorly delivered to the player and poorly utilised. in skyrim, the lore books sometimes have encounters in the game, such as the potema quest. now that is how to do it. small wonder skyrim is still fun to play today whereas diablo 3 effectively lives on goodwill from previous games in the series.

what is most puzzling is that there is a whole world in diablo out there and we can't explore it. we don't even get to explore the whole city of caldeum proper despite most of act 2 taking place around it. and with skyrim you have the whole area to explore. how i can't wait for ESO so that i can explore the whole of tamriel.

this is what you get when activision takes over and designs for those halfwit call of duty players.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]