Diablo® III

Sharpshooter underrated?

4% crit chance per second is better than 5% crit chance flat for archery for 1hxbow users.

Even if you compare it to 50% crit damage or 8% flat damage for xbows and bows, I think sharpshooter has just overtaken archery in the ranking of useful passives.
Reply Quote
Actually, I'm using ShSh myself now more than Archery. simply because there are fewer mobs in PTR/RoS.
Reply Quote
For 1hxbow it is no doubt better, i completely replaced it in PTR

For a 2hxbow it hasnt replaced it, purely because it was never nerfed from the chd aspect of it.

for a bow it is arguable, it depends on your build. a sentry build would use archery still regardless of nerf. but if you are dealing most of your damage from yourself, rather than your sentry, then you could use shsh more effectively
Reply Quote
since CA is worth it; getting 3.01 aps for 3 shots in that 1 second makes it golden

went CA+ShSh minute 1 of PTR and will use ShSh without any consideration to that laughable "balance" 1h 5%
Reply Quote
View profile
If you're using 1h+quiver, Archery isn't that great anymore, and Sharpshooter might be more worth it.

Dual Wielding, both Archery and Sharpshooter have appeal, at the same time you can still have that same "feel" of vanilla Archery by using both Archery and Sharpshooter with 1h+quiver... with the extra passive slot.

Sharpshooter has always been underrated, well early in D3's life it was overrated, but that changed quickly and soon after players tried to make fun of your DH for having it slotted.
Reply Quote
12/21/2013 06:22 PMPosted by ActionKungfu
Sharpshooter has always been underrated, well early in D3's life it was overrated, but that changed quickly and soon after players tried to make fun of your DH for having it slotted.

Actually.. when people started gearing "wisely", Sharpshooter became less and less appealing.

Mainly because way way back vanilla, if you can 1shot enemies in that 1sec time frame, you're good. ;)

It was the pure DPS moment. then people went with CC/CHD/APS or as we know it, the Trifecta/Quadfecta moment.

Then now, we have the :Legendary" moments XD
Reply Quote
View profile
If by gearing "wisely" you mean switching from attack speed to crit chance after attack speed was nerfed, then sure.
Reply Quote
12/21/2013 10:13 PMPosted by ActionKungfu
If by gearing "wisely" you mean switching from attack speed to crit chance after attack speed was nerfed, then sure.

actually.. before then, anything that could increase DPS with 100% crit chance was the go-to for DHs.. so that's pretty much inflated DPS via Crit Damage :3

And yes, attack speed > crit chance switch is one of those things.
Reply Quote
View profile
Inflated "DPS" but not inflated "damage", that can be an incredible difference.
Reply Quote
12/22/2013 03:29 AMPosted by ActionKungfu
Inflated "DPS" but not inflated "damage", that can be an incredible difference.

I think with ShSh, it's a second of inflated damage.. Then after that, it's your deflated DPS trying to get some more air in between encounters :3
Reply Quote
I think with ShSh, it's a second of inflated damage.. Then after that, it's your deflated DPS trying to get some more air in between encounters :3

12/22/2013

It's not going to triple your DPS as advertised, but all the people saying it's useless are just overcompensating. You're never going to shoot fast enough to not get at least one stack of 4% per shot. There are worse passives, and if the cap on crit chance from gear goes live, it may be the easiest way to get above 40%.
Reply Quote
View profile
12/30/2013 10:36 AMPosted by SSmashedBros
There are worse passives, and if the cap on crit chance from gear goes live, it may be the easiest way to get above 40%.

chc has a cap at 75% it's "live"

aps is cap at 100% in beta/ptr

chd still doesn't have any cap giving it the best dps inflate-r in the game.
Edited by KirusAlufras#1739 on 12/30/2013 10:59 AM PST
Reply Quote
12/30/2013 10:59 AMPosted by KirusAlufras
There are worse passives, and if the cap on crit chance from gear goes live, it may be the easiest way to get above 40%.

chc has a cap at 75% it's "live"

aps is cap at 100% in beta/ptr

chd still doesn't have any cap giving it the best dps inflate-r in the game.

RoS data-mine had CC:40 CD: 250 AS: 40. So we'll just have to wait and see.
Reply Quote
personally, I don't see this passive being used much at all in ROS, there are so many other great ones to use in it place...Having 60-75% CC coupled with very high CHD will be more then enough.
Reply Quote
RoS data-mine had CC:40 CD: 250 AS: 40. So we'll just have to wait and see.

Yeah this is not accurate at this time.
Reply Quote
12/30/2013 10:36 AMPosted by SSmashedBros

12/22/2013

It's not going to triple your DPS as advertised, but all the people saying it's useless are just overcompensating. You're never going to shoot fast enough to not get at least one stack of 4% per shot. There are worse passives, and if the cap on crit chance from gear goes live, it may be the easiest way to get above 40%.

Remember also that 1 tick of Shsh is always active, no matter how quick you are firing and getting crits. For example if you have base 40% crit and equip Shsh as a passive, you will never drop below 44% crit - you can see this for yourself by opening your stats page and firing at a mob, your 'base' crit chance is now 4% higher. It's basically a slightly weaker Archery (crit version) that has the stacking crit effect as a bonus.

That said, I've been a proponent of Sharpshooter ever since D3 came out and I don't see that changing in RoS. I forsee a benefit as well with the new nerfed itemization system, where you're forced to take 2 rubbish secondary stats and are only left with 4 primary ones.

Since the kind of tri/quad/quint-fecta items we have now will be impossible, and we will have less room on items for the money stats, I will just ignore crit completely as I've done for some time and shoot for ias/cd/dmg/dex or something like that.
Edited by Myon#1319 on 12/30/2013 3:52 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]