Diablo® III

I don't understand how to "pre-download RoS"

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/10973257830#8

Off hand, I don't believe so. Basically: If you purchase a physical copy, you'll need to manually input the expansion key in Account Management to upgrade your Battle.net account to Reaper of Souls (whereas players who purchase a digital copy more or less have their accounts upgraded automatically). After that point, you should have the option to download whatever content is available at the time, so it will depend on when you receive your copy of the game.

Earlier post implies that you need a cd key minimum to start downloading. So I was wondering are you sure that everyone pre-download regardless if they have registered their cd key? If yes where is this info located?
Reply Quote
Diablo® III: Reaper of Souls™ – Digital Deluxe Edition will download in the background, so when it’s released on March 25, you’ll be ready to play!

Gotta make this more clear imo, thanks for the blue post tho.
Reply Quote
01/06/2014 09:31 PMPosted by smoo
Diablo® III: Reaper of Souls™ – Digital Deluxe Edition will download in the background, so when it’s released on March 25, you’ll be ready to play!

Gotta make this more clear imo, thanks for the blue post tho.

I was talking about physical boxes like those brought from amazon. However your welcome.
Reply Quote
01/06/2014 04:31 PMPosted by Lylirra
The exact date that the predownload will start is still TBD, but we're targeting this month if all goes well.

OMG is it mean that D3V 2.0 will be in this month too?
Reply Quote
01/06/2014 09:44 PMPosted by Logic

Woooww, i understand it too hahahaha. I really hope it. Do you remember when they call to us that the pre patch will launch at 2 weeks ~ 2 months before the realese date of RoS? So it will be a good time, since it's obviously that even with the ptr when it goes alive, patch 2.01 will need a lot of tweeks
Reply Quote
100 Human Mage
I am wondering when the pre-download starts if at least some of the cosmetic effects, like the way the waypoint map looks in the new content will be available before 3/25
Reply Quote
Not yet! The exact date that the predownload will start is still TBD, but we're targeting this month if all goes well.

Similar to what we've done with other games, the pre-expansion patch (2.0.1) will contain all of the expansion data that's on the normal disc. So, for players who don't predownload, they'll basically get everything that's available whenever they patch up to 2.0.1.

Basically you are hinting to us that patch 2.01 will drop within this month of Jan if all goes well, along with ROS pre downloaded whether or not one pre ordered ROS or not.

Patch 2.01 is actually the entire ROS, much like when HOTS to SCII, where a key would simply unlocked said features. If so, D3V will get diamond gems up to radiant star! o.O
Reply Quote
View profile
Earlier post implies that you need a cd key minimum to start downloading. So I was wondering are you sure that everyone pre-download regardless if they have registered their cd key? If yes where is this info located?

I know that for Heart of the Swarm's pre-download, even if you didn't pre-order the expansion, the encrypted MPQ's were background downloaded around 2 weeks before release (this was the case since the Blizzard Update Agent which handled this, had no way of distinguishing if one pre-ordered or not). Around 24 hours before launch, the files were decrypted and optimized (so long as the launcher had been run) and a final patch downloaded. (The downside of course applies for those who didn't upgrade to HoTS since that content is still occupying disk space).

Thus if you were entering an actual key, the expansion content would be unlocked with no need to begin downloading the data from that point.

The Battle.net Desktop app (which the 2.0.1 client will require) is a bit smarter in this regard (since it can tell if you've already pre-ordered) but based on Lylirra's post, it looks like all the expansion data will still be downloaded (though locked) regardless.

Basically you are hinting to us that patch 2.01 will drop within this month of Jan if all goes well

I believe this is more in the context of the actual core and expansion content which for the most part, is pretty much complete. That represents the bulk of the data and makes sense for them to begin pushing out earlier to spread out the bandwidth usage. But I highly doubt they will go live with the actual 2.0.1 patch until the auction house shutdown on March 18.
Reply Quote
Nooooo.. RoS isn't ready, does it being up for pre-load so soon mean it's 'finished' in your eyes?

I've been playing the beta, yes alot of things are good.. but so much of what is in this expansion could be so much better.

Adventure mode + Bounties - This is one of the biggest draws of the expansion, it is good fun right now as it stands but it could be so much more.

It's called 'Adventure' mode.. except all you do is run to 5 different locations on a checklist, sure there is some variety there, sometimes you kill a boss.. sometimes an event but nothing else really changes, all the mobs are always in the same place they are in the story mode.

Once you get your checklist done you get a rift, this is a great feature but at the same time it feels so vanilla.. sure the rifts are random, but the task is the same.. fill up the bar and kill the boss.

These could be so much more challenging and fun with some more randomisation, give the rifts themselves random affixes that apply the the character and the mobs inside.. get the enviroment involved more.. hell, change the task required to spawn the boss to more random things (for example hunt down 3 events in the rift, to spawn boss)

Right now you can clear say, 2 levels in a rift and be done with it.. even though it goes much deeper there is no need to do it.

I feel like this portion of the game as a whole could be SO much more then what we are getting, with a bit more creativity and effort applied it could be a truely fun replayable part of the game for players of all levels/skill ranges.

Act 5 - Since we can't complete act 5 fully in the story mode I can't fully comment, I will say that this part of the game STOMPS the rubbish that we got in act 4 in terms of content.. it's truely excellent and for me it's one of the best parts of the whole expansion, good bosses with good mechanics (that we can see so far anyway)

It's a shame act 4 wasn't extended or tweaked more, it's the weakest part of the entire game.

Other stuff/Enchanting/Legendaries - I feel like so much of the rest of the expansion content could and SHOULD have been put into the game far before expansion time, transmog gear? Why are we only getting that in the game now when we have had months of barely any updates to D3.

The paragon system as it is in RoS is better, it's an iteration on what was put in as a stop gap for players who wanted more from the game in vanilla D3, it will work way better in RoS then it did in vanilla.. but again I don't see why we had to wait this long to see it put right.

So much rambling, I really hoped we would see a big patch or two for the RoS client that is currently in beta.. perhaps i'm wrong and the final version will have more meat to it.. to be honest I am extremely surprised to hear it's going to be 'final' and up for preload so soon.

Be smart with your money people.
Reply Quote
View profile
01/07/2014 08:51 AMPosted by Ruggy
Act 5 - Since we can't complete act 5 fully in the story mode I can't fully comment, I will say that this part of the game STOMPS the rubbish that we got in act 4 in terms of content.. it's truely excellent and for me it's one of the best parts of the whole expansion, good bosses with good mechanics (that we can see so far anyway)

Good to hear thanks for the feedback
Reply Quote
01/06/2014 09:44 PMPosted by Logic
The exact date that the predownload will start is still TBD, but we're targeting this month if all goes well.

That's what I was thinking she meant too.... can we get some blue clarification please? In other words, are you saying that the pre-download is the same thing as the live game patching to 2.0.1?
Reply Quote
01/07/2014 08:51 AMPosted by Ruggy
So much rambling, I really hoped we would see a big patch or two for the RoS client that is currently in beta.. perhaps i'm wrong and the final version will have more meat to it.. to be honest I am extremely surprised to hear it's going to be 'final' and up for preload so soon.

I guess if it is any consolation it could mean that the base game in terms of assets and artwork are done. This will be the bulk of what needs to be downloaded. There is no reason why they could not apply a smaller patch just prior to release.

A lot of what you spoke about are good ideas that could really be added at any time. My guess is that at the moment they are trying to balance skills and gear that could easily break the game. If a lot of these types of items get out there it could really break the gear progression within the game because some people will be able to farm way higher levels than they should. They have stated that they never want to have to make alteration to pre-existing gear like they had to for the IAS issue in the early days.
Reply Quote
Community Manager
01/07/2014 12:17 AMPosted by Eastwind
Basically you are hinting to us that patch 2.01 will drop within this month of Jan if all goes well, along with ROS pre downloaded whether or not one pre ordered ROS or not.

Patch 2.01 is actually the entire ROS, much like when HOTS to SCII, where a key would simply unlocked said features. If so, D3V will get diamond gems up to radiant star! o.O

No. We're targeting to make expansion content available via background download within the next few weeks (schedule is subject change). We have no release date for 2.0.1 at this time.

The quote you're highlighting just means that players who don't take advantage of the background download option when it becomes available (i.e. players who don't load up the game launcher or Battle.net desktop app) will still be able to download the expansion data ahead of time once patch 2.0.1 is released. This is because that data will be included in the 2.0.1 patch itself; the expansion-only content just won't be accessible until Reaper of Souls releases, and of course will require an RoS license to unlock and play.

Make sense? :)
Edited by Lylirra on 1/7/2014 3:37 PM PST
Reply Quote
Background download may seems a convenient and good idea, however, not everyone is having a good connection to the Internet, especially, when the background download is fighting with the D3 gaming for the bandwidth.

So, you may want to let user to have control over on the background download to start/resume. (Unless you want to spend a huge efforts, incorporating AI that allow the background download to start/resume automatically depends on the current bandwidth is idle or busy)
Reply Quote
Community Manager
01/07/2014 05:26 PMPosted by Veda
So, you may want to let user to have control over on the background download to start/resume.

This should be (to my knowledge) totally configurable in the launcher. If anything, the download may start automatically, but players can disable or pause it.
Reply Quote
01/07/2014 06:25 PMPosted by Lylirra
So, you may want to let user to have control over on the background download to start/resume.

This should be (to my knowledge) totally configurable in the launcher. If anything, the download may start automatically, but players can disable or pause it.

Along these lines why can't we throttle download/upload speeds? Not everyone has has a T1 line and it would be nice to be able to play d3 without getting hit by every Mortar that I try to sidestep...
Reply Quote
[
No. We're targeting to make expansion content available via background download within the next few weeks (schedule is subject change). We have no release date for 2.0.1 at this time.

The quote you're highlighting just means that players who don't take advantage of the background download option when it becomes available (i.e. players who don't load up the game launcher or Battle.net desktop app) will still be able to download the expansion data ahead of time once patch 2.0.1 is released. This is because that data will be included in the 2.0.1 patch itself; the expansion-only content just won't be accessible until Reaper of Souls releases, and of course will require an RoS license to unlock and play.

Make sense? :)

Just a tiny clarification here. So basically downloading 2.0.1 patch will make RoS expansion install along diablo 3 vanilla.

So when you pre-order physical box all you need on release date is the cd key out of physical box to unlock the RoS? No need to run anything off the physical cd? Just boot up diablo 3 launcher and type in your cd key then off you go hacking/slashing?

I had a thought. Do you have to go to battle.net account management webpage on release day to register your cd key or there will be a way to do it in-game? Just wondering.

@LordMurasama

Pre-load in my past experience typically come with some issues. It would be nice if everything went off without a hitch. However it would not hurt to get more info/confirmation either way.
Edited by Plaguebone#1428 on 1/7/2014 9:16 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
Along these lines why can't we throttle download/upload speeds? Not everyone has has a T1 line and it would be nice to be able to play d3 without getting hit by every Mortar that I try to sidestep...

You can with the Battle.net app. It is located under Settings -> Game Install/Update -> Network Bandwidth.
Reply Quote
"Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls Expansion Pre-Load Starts in January

Diablo 3 owners who have already pre-purchased the upcoming Reaper of Souls expansion for the action RPG will be able to start pre-loading it at the end of January, ahead of its actual March 25 release date.

Now, the studio has confirmed on Battle.net that the Reaper of Souls expansion will be available for pre-download at the end of January.

This allows those who have already pre-purchased the add-on to download the files necessary for the expansion.

Those same files will also be included in patch 2.0.1 for Diablo 3, which will appear on March 25 alongside the add-on."

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Diablo-3-Reaper-of-Souls-Expansion-Pre-Load-Starts-in-January-414369.shtml
Edited by hawkeye#1460 on 1/7/2014 9:41 PM PST
Reply Quote
View profile
Is there somewhere we can pre-download RoS? It said somewhere that I could when I purchased it digitally.

Not yet! The exact date that the predownload will start is still TBD, but we're targeting this month if all goes well. Note: this download will begin automatically (meaning, you shouldn't need to do anything special).

Or will we automatically download all of RoS when the pre-expansion patch goes live? That would make sense, but you never know...

Similar to what we've done with other games, the pre-expansion patch (2.0.1) will contain all of the expansion data that's on the normal disc. So, for players who don't predownload, they'll basically get everything that's available whenever they patch up to 2.0.1.

Caveat: Expansion-only content like the Crusader, Act V, and Adventure Mode won't be playable until March 25th and only players who purchase Reaper of Souls will have access to them.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]