Blizzard and anyone with any ability to critically think, knew this was possible... the moment they introduced Diamonds and cooldown reduction as an affix.
It was instant light bulb.
A. Leave it - players are so concerned about speed of their runs, and once they have enough defense/toughness, they'll go back to saying smokescreen is trash again(even though it never was, ever) and removing it from their skillslots and continue to say the class as a whole needs a buff, etc.
B. Change how smokescreen works:
1. Make it last longer(like 3 sec base, 4 sec Lingering)
2. Upon activation of the skill(any rune) -> break crowd control
3. Demon Hunters can be damaged(but not crowd controlled, vortexed, jailed, etc. or reflected damage) while under smokescreen, although, aggro is dropped per usual.
4. Rework Special Recipe making that the only rune with damage invulnerability, it can already be cooldown reduced but not to the point of chaining it - so people don't feel it's screwed up, even though the damage hit types are stacked(unavoidable instant damage dots and stuff).
5. Maybe allow Displace to be able to phase through mobs.
This way, the essence of smokescreen remains(we're supposed to vanish and not be seen), but you'll bash your head over what rune to choose, for real this time. If you want to travel you Displace, if you want to restore health you Healing Vapor, if you want to stay under smoke longer you Linger, if you want to avoid damage you use Special Recipe, if you want to damage with the attack you Choke em.
Edited by ActionKungfu#1184 on 12/29/2013 6:38 AM PST