Diablo® III

[Guide] Prep Crypts mp10 Build & Gear for Wiz

Hi guys, I was thinking these days about the classes that are able to prepare crypts on mp10.
Usually people go for Barbs, Monks and Witch Doctors but it is also possible of doing it using Demon Hunter as VocaloidNyan showed on the forum either using the same gear and build he uses or some variations with different gear.

Well, based on that I thought why not prepare crypts with a Wizard? How that could be possible of doing it? I'm not an expert on the class as Jaetch is for example, but I did studied some of the skills and also knowing the Wizard class has some really good defensive skills and passives that made it possible of preparing a good crypt just like any other class.

Here is the build:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#bgQidO!fgZ!cbZYcc

Basically what you are going to do is to have the highest defense as you can and slowing the enemies down while you cast your Shock Pulse - Living Thing and Wave of Force - Exploding Wave.
So when the crypt starts to get full you'll see a pretty nice effect from Wave of Force creating secondary waves through all our screen and waking up the mothers to vomit more monsters.
Also you are going to use Hydra to leave in some different areas where you aren't in, which it would act like if you were preparing the crypt with 2 players. While you attack in one side the Hydra is on the other side doing its work.

Gear:

Basically the same gear as you use for other classes with over 1k LoH I'd recommend 1k all resistances with the armor activated, about 65k total life you should do fine and 6k armor without the armor active, so when your armor (skill) is active you should go up to 8k total armor.

On the video I've made you can see my current gear and pieces, I'm not going to post an specific gear here because it always up to you to make some changes and improve. But remember that the numbers I mentioned are basic LoH, armor and all resistances are what is going to make you survive in order to preparer the crypt, handle elites and take hits on your head without being killed.
I've made a short video running solo, please note that even solo the amount of monsters that are being spawned on the screen is really good.

I know that wizards maybe can't be as fast as a barb or a monk prepare the crypt, but the idea is to not have to be switching characters, asking people to get TP, etc... You just keep your second gear on your inventory and after the crypt is prepared you change your skills, you have tp and can run solo if you want when our friends are not online and you can do that with any class. If you have any idea or changes for this build feel free to add on the comments.

For those who doesn't know my channel on Youtube, please subscribe, it's free and I'm still improving everyday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beu1Of4j4As

Thanks everybody and Happy New Year.
Reply Quote
Check my "tomass" profile for my prep wiz.

Less AR/ armor but almost double your life target as well as almost 2.5x your LOH target + dmg reduction on top from IK items.

Instead of shock pulse, I use Wicked Wind for APOC regeneration + 6 second area tickling

I also use hydra, one skill not many prepper wizzies use, arcane for range but can probalby be any hydra.

Also, I wouldn't use slow time, I find that mirror image - duplicates is OP with a prep wizard. It makes you literrally unkillable. You can stand in frozen if you like. Never die, and extra aggro against mobs.

In conclusion though, prep wiz is a nice fun change, but it is not anywhere close to as efficient barb/monk and they all trail WD for prepping power.
Reply Quote
SNS

1. Get IAS/LOH/OS dagger with amethyst.

2. Switch Glass Canon to Blur.

3. Prep Crypt.

4. TP out from DC 2. Swap to DPS weapon and back to GC while TP out.

Total time wasted swapping stuff = 1s (intial weapon swap and GC swap).

Also you are going to use Hydra to leave in some different areas where you aren't in, which it would act like if you were preparing the crypt with 2 players. While you attack in one side the Hydra is on the other side doing its work.

Mothers don't puke unless you are pretty close and visible to them. Dropping 15 s blizzards or leaving hydras behind as you Tele away won't do it. Instead, focus should be on staying in LOS of mothers. Wormhole and WW procs (which also fuel LOH return) are probably best for this. See a puke start, then tele into LOS of another mother.
Reply Quote
I like using my wizard for prepping because it's a troll build. I use my monk, too, but she's not as fun.

3000 LOH, high APS, Exploding Wave and Mirror Mimics.

The only time I die is when the game is lagged to the red due to others in Crypt and FOM.
Reply Quote
Cool, thanks for the replies but as I said, I actually never saw any other thread about a gear nor build for wizards and even all my friends I've never seen anyone using it to prep. But good to know that actually that are some really cool builds for it. I'm gonna give it a try definetely.
Reply Quote
12/30/2013 12:14 PMPosted by Vox
Dropping 15 s blizzards or leaving hydras behind as you Tele away won't do it

Can this be confirmed?

Isn't it the same effect as pestilience flooding the crypts from a WD causing puking from other areas not in LOS of mothers ?
Reply Quote
There have been a few posts about this, mostly in the context of us bugging yodatoy to make a prep wizard and giving him the rundown.

Booz and I are serious, though. You need to try Mirror Image. I use Mirror Mimics for the most Exploding Wave fun possible.

http://youtu.be/QjEUGMjO-hM
Reply Quote
View profile
12/30/2013 12:07 PMPosted by Boozor
In conclusion though, prep wiz is a nice fun change, but it is not anywhere close to as efficient barb/monk and they all trail WD for prepping power.

I like prepping with my WD. Only thing I've run into though is if you have a few of them in the same game, it can start to lag so bad it gets almost impossible to complete the darn thing.

And I also really wish WDs with Pestilence would not use it when you are actually clearing the crypt and especially FOM.

I dunno how Pestilence is coded but it must send out a god awful amount of data.
Reply Quote
Had to L2P (Learn to play) in the beginning when I started using the doctor, utilizing the force move button so I dont pestilence the whole shabang.

Otherwise, i'm looking forward to hitting 100 with the WD so I can use it as the prepper instead of the barb/wiz. :)
Reply Quote
12/30/2013 12:29 PMPosted by Boozor
Can this be confirmed?

I tested with Blizzard. I think it went something like this:

1. Establish twister wind-up.

2. Wormhole into a virgin mother in a corner.

3. Quickly drop freeze

4. Quickly count total zombies.

5. Drop 15 s blizzard (oculus, SG, Mara, SOJ).

6. Quickly spam wormhole x 8 for max distance while twisters from #1 fueling CM.

7. Wait 15s.

8. Wormhole back to mother and instantly drop a freeze so no puke/movement.

9. Count zombies.

The result was no additional zombies and therefore no puke in that 15s.
Reply Quote
I'm not sure about that "behavior" of the mothers, but I did noticed that they act differently also according to the space avaliable between the monsters and them. For example: sometimes there are many monsters inside the screen that you just can't fit more monsters, the mothers always tend to run away from to be able to spit, so what you have to do is to atract the monsters to one side in order to separate them from the mothers. Once far away of the crowd "it seems" they can start to puke again.

Anyways we always will think that something happens for them to puke or not, we can create theories about on how to make them puke more, etc... Unfortunatelly we will never know 100% of how that works. Or is just simply random.

I don't know.
Reply Quote
12/30/2013 02:39 PMPosted by Woogmoog
I did noticed that they act differently also according to the space avaliable between the monsters and them. For example: sometimes there are many monsters inside the screen that you just can't fit more monsters, the mothers always tend to run away from to be able to spit, so what you have to do is to atract the monsters to one side in order to separate them from the mothers. Once far away of the crowd "it seems" they can start to puke again.

I can confirm this. It is easy to test with Cyclone Strike on a monk. Mothers will puke 1-2 times and then stop. Stand with the mother just outside of CS Implosion range and vortex her progeny. She'll instantly spew again, as long as her spew cooldown has refreshed.

I think the mothers may recognize when a certain number of their own progeny are within a certain radius. This may have been coded to prevent undergeared players from getting overwhelmed with 60 zombies when they encounter 3 mothers and can't kill very fast.

I do not think that it is a matter of 'just can't fit more monsters.' They can pack very tight and overlap.
Reply Quote
I'm gonna give it a try definetely.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Reply Quote
my build is on " DeepFreeze "

1500 LoH
5100 base Armor
776 Base AR
27.7% Dodge
63.1% DR
97k HP

*note: if i felt up to it i could use my dagger that my zdps monk has in use for 1450 more LoH and 280 vit for added tankiness :)

LoH is a bit low but that is because i wanted to nail the 2.73 ( @ 2.74 APS ) break point.
I am however using mystral breeze for it's lower cost and the fact that it travels is nice also..... when mobs are being knocked back i still get ticks from it, they don't get knocked out of it.

Anyways that's my $0.02 worth.

12/30/2013 12:34 PMPosted by jenpeezey
There have been a few posts about this, mostly in the context of us bugging yodatoy to make a prep wizard and giving him the rundown.

Booz and I are serious, though. You need to try Mirror Image. I use Mirror Mimics for the most Exploding Wave fun possible.

http://youtu.be/QjEUGMjO-hM

tried Mirror Mimics..... lovein it
Reply Quote
Edited by DonDraper#1395 on 2/2/2014 5:33 PM PST
Reply Quote
That's nice, it's pretty nice to know that we have a good variety of builds to choose from.

Thanks for sharing guys.
Reply Quote
MVP
View profile
12/30/2013 12:23 PMPosted by Woogmoog
Cool, thanks for the replies but as I said, I actually never saw any other thread about a gear nor build for wizards and even all my friends I've never seen anyone using it to prep.

I think you forgot me but I forgive you, lol

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/10311601356#1

Edited by wildfirebr#1127 on 12/31/2013 3:51 PM PST
Reply Quote
12/31/2013 03:51 PMPosted by wildfirebr
I think you forgot me but I forgive you, lol

Sorry Wildfirebr. But actually as I mentioned I'm not so expert with the class as you and Jaetch are. Everybory knows that my favorite is DH. And every now and then I like to take a look on the other classe's forum and I think I just didn't find. But anyways at least now I know it's there and it's pretty cool to know that actually we have a variety of builds to do prepare crypts. I'm actually liking it much more the Wiz class now than before.

Happy New Year everybody.
Reply Quote
Just giving a feedback the Build with the mirror image is pretty cool too. I just tested it and it seems to work pretty well.
Reply Quote
12/30/2013 12:54 PMPosted by GunnersDream
I like prepping with my WD

so do I but with M/M and L/L I can really make a very dense crypt... need really high mitigation, check my build/gears. I have not died during prep (not on purpose) in awhile...
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]